DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best Album of 2012

Go down 
+29
bringiton
acousticbandit
thebiglebowski
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
The Angry Johnny Revue
JimmyB
Shrewsbury_Stars
drifter69
Paddy
Gaslight23
matkins
Breanne
JonnyisRFC
enola
Grant Michael
onbackstreetsinbackseats
MKULTRA
plugga
Christophe
Jack
Ghost
azlisa
simo
redheadchick
DeathoftheCool
colmillionaire
eagles1139
Hanswurst
CluckyB
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Paddy
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Paddy

Best Album of 2012 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 1:04 pm

DeathoftheCool wrote:
markbarlow wrote:
sandyangryjohnnyormary? wrote:
markbarlow wrote:
I agree entirely about Babel - and I like it. They didn't break any ground which I think holds it back from greatness.

I think the same about Handwritten and Wrecking Ball to be honest.

In Bruce's defense, I don't know what ground he's left unbroken at this point.
Oh you're right - and its still a very, very good album.

DeathoftheCool wrote:
wrecking ball was kinda groundbreaking

In what way did it break ground? I think the better songs on the album sound a lot like his Seeger Sessions stuff, or were songs he'd already released (Land of Hope and Dreams, Wrecking Ball, American Land). Not that there's anything wrong with that - I love it! I just don't think its as good as some of his fans have said it is.

Either way, album of the year can't go to one which contains the lyric: "you put on your coat, I'll put on my hat, you put out the dog, I'll put out the cat"!!!

i think it's groundbreaking in the sense that it mixes folk type music with some electronic drum loops and sampling, that's way different for springsteen at least, and i'm not sure of anyone else doing a combo of instrumentation like that

New for Springsteen, yes, but neofolk has been doing that since the 80's. I love the man but I don't see Springsteen doing any groundbreaking genre-blending in the rest of his career.
Back to top Go down
thebiglebowski
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 1:57 pm

Handwritten was my #2.

Mean Jeans was my #1. You can still stream it on Punknews. Pop-punk similar to teenage bottlerocket, the ramones, etc.

http://www.punknews.org/bands/meanjeans
Back to top Go down
acousticbandit
Wooderson
Wooderson
acousticbandit

PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 5:58 pm

top album for me is easily the menzingers "on the impossible past." the jimmy cliff album is a runner up. best album you haven't heard of is the boardroom heroes record "another year." check those guys out!!
Back to top Go down
bringiton
Wooderson
Wooderson
bringiton

PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 11:21 am

mine's probably Gossamer by Passion Pit. Released on the same day as Handwritten so that's probably why I didn't get Handwritten right away.

After that, albums by The Menzingers, We Are Augustines, Sharks, Springsteen, Howler, Gaslight, One Direction and a couple other follow.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 11:46 am

bringiton wrote:
mine's probably Gossamer by Passion Pit. Released on the same day as Handwritten so that's probably why I didn't get Handwritten right away.

After that, albums by The Menzingers, We Are Augustines, Sharks, Springsteen, Howler, Gaslight, One Direction and a couple other follow.

Never thought I'd read that on DSS...
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 12:08 pm

JackStreetcar wrote:
bringiton wrote:

He shouldn't be allowed on DSS any more.
Back to top Go down
bringiton
Wooderson
Wooderson
bringiton

PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 12:59 pm

Camus wrote:
JackStreetcar wrote:
bringiton wrote:

what's the problem????
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 1:48 pm

bringiton wrote:
Camus wrote:
JackStreetcar wrote:
bringiton wrote:

what's the problem????

I'm questioning your sanity if you enjoy One Direction. Razz
Back to top Go down
bringiton
Wooderson
Wooderson
bringiton

PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 1:50 pm

Camus wrote:
bringiton wrote:
Camus wrote:
JackStreetcar wrote:
bringiton wrote:

what's the problem????

Haha. Imagine you'd never heard of them before, put that album and tell me it's not a good time.
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 1:53 pm

bringiton wrote:
Camus wrote:
bringiton wrote:
Camus wrote:
JackStreetcar wrote:
bringiton wrote:

what's the problem????

Haha. Imagine you'd never heard of them before, put that album and tell me it's not a good time.

I'm not sure I want to put myself through that, hahaha. I'm sure Ilaria would agree with you though.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2012 12:43 pm

I'm not even saying it's a bad thing. I'm just shocked that I read that on here. It was just quite surprising.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
33RPMHero
Wooderson
Wooderson
33RPMHero

PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2012 10:45 pm

I think for me it is Handwritten for sure. On The Impossible Past would probably be third for me. There are just a couple songs on that album that bore me. Exister would come in second place.
Back to top Go down
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
A_Regular

PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 12:56 pm

The Bloom and The Blight by Two Gallants
Back to top Go down
Halcyon
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Halcyon

PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 3:28 pm

A_Regular wrote:

I love you

and nice signature btw!
Back to top Go down
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
A_Regular

PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 3:35 pm

Halcyon wrote:
A_Regular wrote:

I love you

and nice signature btw!

Nice name ;0
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 8:35 pm

End of Daze EP by Dum Dum Girls is pretty good.

and I second two gallants.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best Album of 2012
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3