DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best Album of 2012

Go down 
+29
bringiton
acousticbandit
thebiglebowski
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
The Angry Johnny Revue
JimmyB
Shrewsbury_Stars
drifter69
Paddy
Gaslight23
matkins
Breanne
JonnyisRFC
enola
Grant Michael
onbackstreetsinbackseats
MKULTRA
plugga
Christophe
Jack
Ghost
azlisa
simo
redheadchick
DeathoftheCool
colmillionaire
eagles1139
Hanswurst
CluckyB
33 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

Best Album of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 7:32 pm

Surprised there isn't a thread yet. Starting discussing now so I can find some last minute discoveries / reminders of stuff I forgotten before making a final list. Very Happy

Top Albums:

Japandroids - Celebration Rock

Has that same nostalgic feeling that T59S has. Feels very cohesive. Its just a very solid listening experience. The cover is a little weak, but other than that the punches start early and don't stop. Doesn't overstay its length. The sound is a little repetitive, but within the context of the album it just works. Likely will be my #1.

The Menzingers - On the Impossible Past

The most exciting punk rock band out there in terms of potential. The Gaslight comparisons are a little overplayed, but they are still apt. The things I like about Gaslight are all in this band and this album, so its little wonder its a favorite.

Hot Water Music - Exister

Chuck Ragan has never sounded better. The work put into his solo stuff clearly shows, but its also still very Hot Water Music. I don't think it tops Caution, but it is still one of the best records by one of the best punk bands. It drags a little in the middle, but Paid in Full ends it on all the right notes.

No Trigger - Tycoon

Pushes Melodic Hardcore right to the limits where I can still enjoy it. Even better than last years The Dangers of Standing Still by RCR. It packs a wallop while keeping lyrics intelligible and catchy (which is generally my biggest problem with more hardcore stuff. Its all just screaming). The "Physically strong / Mentally Fit and Morally Straight" line in Mountaineer is one of my favorite song bits of the whole year. Whole album is just full of great songs.

Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten

Including this here for obvious reasons. Still not sure if I'm overraiting it because its Gaslight or unraiting it because my expectations were too high and despite its disappointments 45, Howl, Mae and Blue Dahlia are all possibly top ten songs.

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis - The Heist

Not normally a hip hop fan. But when you remove the homophobia and misogynism that invades much of it can actually be pretty good. The album comes off as an essay about many of the problems with American culture, touching the aforementioned homophobia and misogyny but also religion, substance abuse and the American Dream. Its refreshingly honest and easily one of my bigger surprises of the year.

Other Great Stuff:

Neon Trees - Picture Show
Brendan Kelly and the Wandering Birds - I'd Rather Die than Live Forever
The Heavy - The Glorious Dead
Eve 6 - Speak in Code
House of Heroes - Cold Hard Want
Foxy Shazam - The Church of Rock and Roll
The Vaccines - Come Of Age
Lucero - Women and Work
Sam Russo - Storm
Back to top Go down
Hanswurst
Wooderson
Wooderson
Hanswurst

Best Album of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 7:51 pm

CluckyB wrote:

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis - The Heist

Not normally a hip hop fan. But when you remove the homophobia and misogynism that invades much of it can actually be pretty good. The album comes off as an essay about many of the problems with American culture, touching the aforementioned homophobia and misogyny but also religion, substance abuse and the American Dream. Its refreshingly honest and easily one of my bigger surprises of the year.

definitly one of the best albums of the last... let's say 10 years Very Happy
normaly i'm not a fan of hiphop too - i hate all of these "gangster-ghetto-money" boys BUT Macklemore and Ryan Lewis are very nice guys and the music is so fresh. AND i love the music-videos they made, e.g. "otherside" (somehow reminds me of "behold the hurricane")

Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

Best Album of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 7:56 pm

As far as original rap albums I prefer Kendrick Lamar's good kid, m.A.A.d city. Macklemore seems a bit preachy to me, while Kendrick gives you the perspective of an inner city kid, with all the temptations and dangers of street-life, but rather than glorify it he presents important questions.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

Best Album of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 8:19 pm

I tried listening to Kendrick Lamar, but couldn't get through the first listen. Stuff like "Bitch, Don’t Kill My Vibe" still contain many of the things that bother me about modern hip-hop. I'll give it another listen, but I think I might just be too white =)
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

Best Album of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 8:27 pm

CluckyB wrote:
I tried listening to Kendrick Lamar, but couldn't get through the first listen. Stuff like "Bitch, Don’t Kill My Vibe" still contain many of the things that bother me about modern hip-hop. I'll give it another listen, but I think I might just be too white =)

Yeah admittedly there still is a lot of "standard" rap music language but you have to look at it as a story, which it is (ignoring Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe). For example, Backseat Freestyle is a normal bragging ignorant rap song, but in the context of the story it is just a bunch of young kids sitting in a backseat rapping and having fun - before the real drama arrives in the next song. It's an interesting listen, but one you really have to dig into the lyrics to appreciate it on anything more than a superficial level.

Take for example Sing About Me: The first verse is the brother of a dead friend talking to Kendrick lovingly, the second verse is the sister of the subject of one of Kendrick's songs criticizing him for putting her in the public, and the third verse is Kendrick himself reflecting on his life. One of the most well-written rap songs in years.

Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

Best Album of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 8:46 pm

Also, my actual vote for best album is Menzingers - On the Impossible Past.

I could go on about this album for ages. While the band is original in its own right, what struck me first about this album is it's kinda like what Gaslight would sound like if they were a bit darker and less romantic. Some of the best songwriting I've ever heard from a punk rock band.
Back to top Go down
colmillionaire
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
colmillionaire

Best Album of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 8:47 pm

I've got to think about this. I know I cared the most about these:

1) Cheap Girls - Giant Orange
2) Everyone Everywhere - Everyone Everywhere
3) This is Your Life - Before We Fade Away

The rest of em:
Glocca Morra
Waka Flocka Flame - Triple F Life
Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid, m.a.a.d city
Joey Bada$$ - 1999
Masked Intruder - S/T
Title Fight - Floral Green
2 Chainz - Based on a True Story
Hold Tight - Blizzard of 96
Frank Ocean - channel ORANGE
El-P - Cancer 4 Cure
Timeshares/Dividers - Split
Killer Mike - R.A.P Music
Sundials

Absolutely not in order. Hip-Hop has had the best year in a very long time. There is something in the water in Richmond Virginia too much good stuff is coming out of there. I just remembered that I didn't even buy the new Bouncing Souls record....whoops.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/Colmillionaire
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

Best Album of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 9:20 pm

1. The Menzingers - On the Impossible Past FASHO

then it goes 2. Jack White - Blunderbuss, 3. Handwritten, 4. Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball, 5. Japandroids - Celebration Rock

good year in music, these albums remind me of good times Very Happy
Back to top Go down
redheadchick
A Contender
A Contender

Best Album of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 9:30 pm

Mine is Handwritten. I haven't listened to or loved anything as much as Handwritten this year.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

Best Album of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 9:35 pm

Menzingers. Easily.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

Best Album of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 10:07 pm

colmillionaire wrote:
I've got to think about this. I know I cared the most about these:

1) Cheap Girls - Giant Orange
2) Everyone Everywhere - Everyone Everywhere
3) This is Your Life - Before We Fade Away

The rest of em:
Glocca Morra
Waka Flocka Flame - Triple F Life
Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid, m.a.a.d city
Joey Bada$$ - 1999
Masked Intruder - S/T
Title Fight - Floral Green
2 Chainz - Based on a True Story
Hold Tight - Blizzard of 96
Frank Ocean - channel ORANGE
El-P - Cancer 4 Cure
Timeshares/Dividers - Split
Killer Mike - R.A.P Music
Sundials

Absolutely not in order. Hip-Hop has had the best year in a very long time. There is something in the water in Richmond Virginia too much good stuff is coming out of there. I just remembered that I didn't even buy the new Bouncing Souls record....whoops.

Did you ever check out Tycoon? I still enjoyed it a lot more than Floral Green. (Its the same kind of aggressive melodic hardcore but not actually screamo music).

Also the new Bouncing Souls record was nothing special. It had a few good songs on it, but fell way short of the likes of Summer Vacation or Hopeless Romantic or even the Gold Record. Same with Lucero/Women & Work. I think both bands have had long careers with plenty of great songs in the belt but started to show their age with the new albums. Neither of them are bad, they just are average albums in catalogs that contain greatness.
Back to top Go down
azlisa
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
azlisa

Best Album of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 3:17 am

i was a bad music fan this year. i work retail so i don't have a desk job where i can listen to new music all day and check out lots of stuff! and when i'm home i'm catching up on telly so there's hardly time for music there, too. so my weak tops...

handwritten, obviously!
mumford and sons - babel
circa survive - violent waves
motion city soundtrack - go
zac brown band - uncaged
and even though it isn't nearly as good as anything else nate has done, fun.'s some nights is also in the top.

Last edited by azlisa on Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/azlisa

Best Album of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 3:59 am

There are the albums I cared about: (not gonna give em a particular order, just some albums I enjoyed)

Boboso- Life's A Gas Mixtape
Hard Girls- Isn't It Worse
Mike Hugenor- Bardamu
The Walkmen- Heaven
Cloud Nothings- Attack on Memory
The Henry Clay Poeple- Twenty Five for the rest of our life
Japandroids- Celebration rock
The Menzingers- On The Impossible Past
Joey Bada$$ - 1999
Rademacher- Babyhawk III
Tim Barry- 40 Miler
Classics of Love- Self Titled

that's all I can think of right now.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
A Contender
A Contender
Ghost

Best Album of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 8:20 am

My top 5:

1. Of Monsters & Men - My Head Is An Animal.
A stunning album. Interesting and deep lyrics mixed with heart-pulling melodies and beautiful dual vocals.
2. The Galisght Anthem - Handwritten
They may have a lost a little of that 'nostalgia' charm, but it still had instant classics like '45', 'Handwritten' & 'Blue Dahlia' (counting it as the final track...)
3. Sharks - No Gods
A brilliant debut album for one of the best up & coming bands in the UK. Catchy anthemic pop-punk.
4. Hot Water Music - Exister
Chuck sounds an absolute beast on this album, which I found consistently good all the way through!
5. Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
His best since The Rising imo & Wrecking Ball was my favourite track of the year.

Honourables: Jim Lockey & The Solemn Sun-Death, Feeder-Generation Freakshow, Green Day- iUno! (this would win a prize for most surprising!)
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

Best Album of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 11:21 am

Handwritten and On The Impossible Past and then everything else is really, really far behind.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

Best Album of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 12:11 pm

1. Handwritten - The Gaslight Anthem
2. No Gods - Sharks
3. Battle Born - The Killers
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

Best Album of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 12:36 pm

haven't really thought about it, the menzingers would be first without any doubt tho, also discovered this band literally a couple of days ago and their album is UNBELIEVABLE, so. good.

Back to top Go down
colmillionaire
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
colmillionaire

Best Album of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 6:23 pm

@ Drew. Have not really listened to No Trigger. So I def have not heard Tycoon. Gonna hop on it for sure. Floral Green is the exact direction I want Title Fight to take, so thats why I included it in my list. I even prefer Floral Green to Shed.
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

Best Album of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 8:12 pm

eagles1139 wrote:
CluckyB wrote:

Yeah admittedly there still is a lot of "standard" rap music language but you have to look at it as a story, which it is (ignoring Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe). For example, Backseat Freestyle is a normal bragging ignorant rap song, but in the context of the story it is just a bunch of young kids sitting in a backseat rapping and having fun - before the real drama arrives in the next song. It's an interesting listen, but one you really have to dig into the lyrics to appreciate it on anything more than a superficial level.

DAMN I GOT BITCHES DAMN I GOT BITCHES

seriously i love Backseat Freestyle. i get that it's part of a bigger story and all, but it's the funnest thing to yell with my friends when we're drunk. even though we're the whitest guys ever.
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

Best Album of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 8:22 pm

WingsForWheels wrote:
eagles1139 wrote:
CluckyB wrote:

DAMN I GOT BITCHES DAMN I GOT BITCHES

seriously i love Backseat Freestyle. i get that it's part of a bigger story and all, but it's the funnest thing to yell with my friends when we're drunk. even though we're the whitest guys ever.

WIFEY, GIRLFRIEND AND MISTRESS
Back to top Go down
onbackstreetsinbackseats
A Contender
A Contender
onbackstreetsinbackseats

Best Album of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 9:31 pm

No particular order.

Japandroids-Celebration Rock
Lucero-Women and Work
Sharks-No Gods
Bouncing Souls-Comet
Converge-All We Love We Leave Behind
Deftones-Koi No Yokan
Jimmy Cliff-Rebirth
The Menzingers-On The Impossible Past

Sorry guys, I still can't get into Handwritten.

Back to top Go down
Grant Michael
A Contender
A Contender
Grant Michael

Best Album of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 10:23 pm

In addition to Handwritten:

1. The Only Place - Best Coast
2. Women & Work - Lucero
3. Port of Morrow - The Shins
4. Celebration Rock - Japandroids
5. The Carpenter - The Avett Brothers
6. Bloom - Beach House
7. The Way We Move - Langhorne Slim & The Law
8. Be the Void - Dr. Dog
9. Tempest - Bob Dylan
10. Wrecking Ball - Bruce Springsteen
11. Fear Fun - Father John Misty
12. Heat Lightning Rumbles in the Distance - Patterson Hood
13. Little Broken Hearts - Norah Jones
14. Bitter Drink, Bitter Moon - Murder by Death
15. Voyaguer - Kathleen Edwards
16. All of the Unknown - The Drowning Men
17. Boys & Girls - Alabama Shakes
18. Arrow - Heartless Bastards
19. Mutt - Cory Branan
20. Temple Beautiful - Chuck Prophet
21. Mirage Rock - Band of Horses
22. Blunderbuss - Jack White
23. The Great Despiser - Joe Pug
24. An Unwavering Band of Light - Jenny Owen Youngs
25. Tomorrowland - Ryan Bingham
26. There's No Leaving Now - The Tallest Man on Earth
27. The Lumineers - The Lumineers
28. Blues Funeral - Mark Lanegan Band
29. My Head Is An Animal - Of Monsters and Men
30. Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Your Anger - River City Extension

I gave up on getting them in the right order halfway through.
Back to top Go down
colmillionaire
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
colmillionaire

Best Album of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 10:46 pm

HOW DID I FORGET ABOUT MURDER BY DEATH. I AM SO DUMB.
Back to top Go down

Best Album of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2012 4:43 am

colmillionaire wrote:
HOW DID I FORGET ABOUT MURDER BY DEATH. I AM SO DUMB.

oh fuck yeah same here.

also dude have you listened to the Boboso mixtape on quote unquote?
Back to top Go down

Best Album of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2012 8:45 am

My top 10:

1. Patterson Hood - Heat Lightning Rumbles in the Distance
2. Craig Finn - Clear Heart Full Eyes
3. Japandroids - Celebration Rock
4. Show of Hands - Wake the Union
5. Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
6. Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten
7. Mumford & Sons - Babel
8. Tim Barry - 40 Miler
9. Of Monsters and Men - My Head is an Animal
10. Say Anything - Anarchy My Dear

Other decent albums: Hot Water Music - Exister; Fang Island - Major; King Charles - Loveblood; Mark Knopfler - Privateering; Sigur Ros - Valtari

Album I wish I'd discovered earlier (from 2011):

Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin - Let It Sway

Last edited by markbarlow on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Best Album of 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Album of 2012   Best Album of 2012 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best Album of 2012
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next