DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What's eating Brian Fallon?

Go down 
+12
azlisa
Jeff
NeverTrustAJunkie
Jerseyrain
Rizz
steph
StitchesOnTheRadio
jzancan
Breanne
Jables
Labhras
lostintheflood
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
lostintheflood
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

What's eating Brian Fallon? Empty
PostSubject: What's eating Brian Fallon?   What's eating Brian Fallon? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 10:01 am

Simple question in light of the recent slew of interviews from the last 6 months or so. He's been consistently stand-offish - I would even go so far as to say rude - with interviewers. Other people have pointed this out more mildly on several occasions, but I think it needs to be asked, what's goin' on?

He's always said he wanted his band to be big and said he wouldn't mind being 'quietly famous' or whatever - well now he's got it, is it not all it's cracked up to be? He used to be an excellent interview subject, and by all accounts an all-round happy-go-lucky guy. Kinda sad now to watch an interview with him and have to cringe because he's being unnecessarily obtuse and blunt. I'm at the point where I'm just not gonna bother watching anymore, unless the focus is on the other members.
Back to top Go down
http://brailleclub.bandcamp.com
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: What's eating Brian Fallon?   What's eating Brian Fallon? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 10:49 am

you can only give so many answers to the same questions. he's been doing them for what, 4 years now? when your job is to create and play music interviews can be superfluous.
Back to top Go down
Jables
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Jables

PostSubject: Re: What's eating Brian Fallon?   What's eating Brian Fallon? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 1:34 pm

Question asked, question answered :L
Back to top Go down
Breanne
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Breanne

PostSubject: Re: What's eating Brian Fallon?   What's eating Brian Fallon? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 1:40 pm

It's kind of what Bob Dylan did (although Dylan was extremely rude), Dylan felt like his music was starting to not mean as much to the media and fans as getting a great comment from him or an autograph, and as a serious artist, that sucks. I think it's tough to have to answer the same questions over and over again, and with all the questions about Springsteen and their label, it takes away from the music. I'm taking a whole class on this topic right now and I just wrote a paper about the relationship between media and artist, and its fascinating, and sad. I think Brian just wants people to stop caring about him, and caring more about the band and the music.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/xripped_kneesx
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: What's eating Brian Fallon?   What's eating Brian Fallon? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 2:43 pm

There was a lot of discussion about this shortly after Handwritten came out, when he was talking about fans almost resentfully, but it's gotten a lot better, I think. To build on the "same questions/interviews for so long" concept, I think it's also a matter of less self-monitoring on his part, which is normal for people in any situation. When he first started giving interviews (I imagine), he wanted to be seen in a very certain light. After a while, the public stage, on a personal level, gets more comfortable and there is less focus on "oh, how am I going to be perceived." It's like being at a new job for 1 month vs. 1 year.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: What's eating Brian Fallon?   What's eating Brian Fallon? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 9:44 pm

I agree with all that.

I like what he's doing now. It seems more like he's trying to have fun with it. Like be ridiculous or mess with the interviewer. Not in like a rude way but in like a "If we're gonna do this, we're doing it my way". Which is cool cuz it makes for a hell of a lot more interesting interview! I love when he gives a short answer and then turns the question on the interviewer.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: What's eating Brian Fallon?   What's eating Brian Fallon? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 9:51 pm

i move to change the name of this thread to "What's Eating Brian Grape?"
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: What's eating Brian Fallon?   What's eating Brian Fallon? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 9:54 pm

steph wrote:

i move to change the name of this thread to "What's Eating Brian Grape?"

lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's eating Brian Fallon?   What's eating Brian Fallon? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 11:19 pm

The RadioBDC interview a few days ago was painful to listen to. Probably the worst interview I've ever heard. I partially attribute it to lostintheflood's original point.
Back to top Go down
Breanne
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Breanne

PostSubject: Re: What's eating Brian Fallon?   What's eating Brian Fallon? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 12:12 am

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
I agree with all that.

I like what he's doing now. It seems more like he's trying to have fun with it. Like be ridiculous or mess with the interviewer. Not in like a rude way but in like a "If we're gonna do this, we're doing it my way". Which is cool cuz it makes for a hell of a lot more interesting interview! I love when he gives a short answer and then turns the question on the interviewer.
me too, its funny
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: What's eating Brian Fallon?   What's eating Brian Fallon? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 12:21 am

RivannaJunction wrote:
The RadioBDC interview a few days ago was painful to listen to. Probably the worst interview I've ever heard. I partially attribute it to lostintheflood's original point.

Why was it painful to listen to?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's eating Brian Fallon?   What's eating Brian Fallon? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 2:51 am

RivannaJunction wrote:

I was getting super annoyed with all the sports talk. It seems like such a cliche thing in Boston. The thing about not being friends with Dicky Barrett or Ken Casey between April and November was corny. Then the breaking point was when the question about fielding a rock and roll softball team seemed to go forever without getting anywhere.

I just might not like Julie Kramer cause I've also thought her interviews with Frank Tuner were awkward.
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: What's eating Brian Fallon?   What's eating Brian Fallon? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 8:09 am

RivannaJunction wrote:

he had the volume turned all the way up and then his volume button broke so he couldn't turn it down.
Back to top Go down
Rizz
A Contender
A Contender
Rizz

PostSubject: Re: What's eating Brian Fallon?   What's eating Brian Fallon? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 12:04 pm

RivannaJunction wrote:
RivannaJunction wrote:

I was getting super annoyed with all the sports talk. It seems like such a cliche thing in Boston. The thing about not being friends with Dicky Barrett or Ken Casey between April and November was corny. Then the breaking point was when the question about fielding a rock and roll softball team seemed to go forever without getting anywhere.

I just might not like Julie Kramer cause I've also thought her interviews with Frank Tuner were awkward.
Maybe I am different, but I enjoy when Brian talks about sports and other things besides music all the time. To each his own...
Back to top Go down
Breanne
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Breanne

PostSubject: Re: What's eating Brian Fallon?   What's eating Brian Fallon? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 1:23 pm

RivannaJunction wrote:
RivannaJunction wrote:

I actually thought it was funny and different to hear him talk sports. anything is better than "DO YOU AND THE BOSS HANG OUT ON THE WEEKENDS?"
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: What's eating Brian Fallon?   What's eating Brian Fallon? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 2:21 pm

I think this topic has been well covered in past threads. He's a lot better than he was 6 months ago, Id suggest we perhaps let it lie.
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: What's eating Brian Fallon?   What's eating Brian Fallon? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 5:14 pm

Breanne wrote:
RivannaJunction wrote:
RivannaJunction wrote:

I actually thought it was funny and different to hear him talk sports. anything is better than "DO YOU AND THE BOSS HANG OUT ON THE WEEKENDS?"
where is this alleged interview?
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: What's eating Brian Fallon?   What's eating Brian Fallon? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 5:47 pm

Labhras wrote:
Breanne wrote:
RivannaJunction wrote:
RivannaJunction wrote:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/2012/11/26/gaslight-anthem-handwritten-radiobdc/gZ9VhkHVqtklDswi7D2MBK/story.html

I didn't like it either. The baseball lineup talk was different, yes, but totally grinded the momentum of the interview to a halt for too long. She should have recognized that and switched gears. But to be honest it started off awkward from the beginning for me.
Back to top Go down
Jeff
A Contender
A Contender
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: What's eating Brian Fallon?   What's eating Brian Fallon? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 11:41 am

I think you guys are crazy, that interview was hilarious. Admittedly I didn't like the interviewer but Brian was really funny. I agree with the original point that he's done a lot of interviews that were really dull lately but I thought it was refreshing to hear him just be a goofball for a change.
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: What's eating Brian Fallon?   What's eating Brian Fallon? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 2:27 pm

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
Labhras wrote:
Breanne wrote:
RivannaJunction wrote:
RivannaJunction wrote:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/2012/11/26/gaslight-anthem-handwritten-radiobdc/gZ9VhkHVqtklDswi7D2MBK/story.html

I didn't like it either. The baseball lineup talk was different, yes, but totally grinded the momentum of the interview to a halt for too long. She should have recognized that and switched gears. But to be honest it started off awkward from the beginning for me.
all that's in that video is banter before handwritten. surely that's not what you guys are talking about?
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: What's eating Brian Fallon?   What's eating Brian Fallon? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 2:28 pm

ok found it but hot fuzz is on. gaslight later.
Back to top Go down
azlisa
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
azlisa

PostSubject: Re: What's eating Brian Fallon?   What's eating Brian Fallon? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 1:10 am

You would think that with the great news in Brian's life right now that he would be in good spirits all the time, so maybe it's just the repetitive questions like others have stated Smile
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/azlisa
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: What's eating Brian Fallon?   What's eating Brian Fallon? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 3:18 am

Probably threads like this?

I mean fuckin a... Maybe sometimes we all get a little too wrapped up in the unimportant shit and need to just appreaciate the music?
Back to top Go down
lostintheflood
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: What's eating Brian Fallon?   What's eating Brian Fallon? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 8:59 am

rkirkpatrick25 wrote:

I mean fuckin a... Maybe sometimes we all get a little too wrapped up in the unimportant shit and need to just appreaciate the music?

Hold up. I think it's a perfectly valid question. Contrary to what other people have said, promotion is an important part of being a professional musician. He used to be good at it, but it strikes me now that since he has a big label to take care of the financial end of promotion, he's being lax and even disrespectful about it. It's easy to not be a dick to an interviewer… they're helping you promote your band, for free.

You've got an impressive list of shows, though. Fair play.
Back to top Go down
http://brailleclub.bandcamp.com
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: What's eating Brian Fallon?   What's eating Brian Fallon? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 9:49 pm

rkirkpatrick25 wrote:

Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's eating Brian Fallon?   What's eating Brian Fallon? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What's eating Brian Fallon?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next