DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Increased popularity?

Go down 
+11
StitchesOnTheRadio
simo
TGAFAN25
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
EyesOnThatCadillac
JimmyB
Jack
matkins
Ghost
steady now steady now
Xanthias
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Xanthias
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Xanthias

Increased popularity? Empty
PostSubject: Increased popularity?   Increased popularity? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2012 8:07 am

After a few months from the release of Handwritten, do you think that Gaslight Anthem have become a more popular band, and if so, to which degree?

In my opinion, they've become quite established amongst those who keep an eye on alternative releases, and I also know someone who listened the odd song (especially 45), but still, they seem a few steps short from global recognition (not saying that is a bad thing). I was quite amazed that Here Comes My Man and Handwritten didn't get a proper distribution, in this perspective something isn't working with their new label.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Increased popularity?   Increased popularity? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2012 8:28 am

Xanthias wrote:
After a few months from the release of Handwritten, do you think that Gaslight Anthem have become a more popular band, and if so, to which degree?

In my opinion, they've become quite established amongst those who keep an eye on alternative releases, and I also know someone who listened the odd song (especially 45), but still, they seem a few steps short from global recognition (not saying that is a bad thing). I was quite amazed that Here Comes My Man and Handwritten didn't get a proper distribution, in this perspective something isn't working with their new label.

What do you mean by "didn't get a proper distribution"?

As for popularity, as we don't actually know their record sale figures for the different albums, their tours may be something to go by. Do they play more shows? Do they play bigger venues?
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Xanthias
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Xanthias

PostSubject: Re: Increased popularity?   Increased popularity? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2012 8:36 am

Well, if I wasn't following them on Facebook, I would not have known anything about a new single. At least in my perspective, they could have had a better advertising.
I attended a gig in England, at the O2 Academy in Brixton. It was sold out, but, even though it's a historic venue, the capacity was only 5000 people. However, this summer they were still supporting Foo Fighters and, for some reason, Rise Against, who I don't believe have a larger fanbase than them
Back to top Go down
Ghost
A Contender
A Contender
Ghost

PostSubject: Re: Increased popularity?   Increased popularity? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2012 10:11 am

Oh they are definitely bigger now then they were before Handwritten was released, no doubt about that. The biggest thing I have noticed is radio play, with 45. Handwritten & Here Comes My Man ALL playlisted on Radio One in the UK. Lots of my friends who have known of my Gaslight love for a few years now have all been saying 'oh, I actually heard Gaslight on the radio the other day', etc etc. Plus the fact the album reached number two in the UK charts, and had television ads and stuff.

All of this was unheard of in the American Slang era. How much the popularity has increased though...well, it is hard to say. They are certainly on an upward trajectory. I had a feeling this album would propel them into the big time, sub-headlining at major festivals, that kind of size, but I don't think it has. The trouble was a lack of a real hit, I think. I mean 45 was catchy as hell, did really well, but Handwritten & Here Comes My Man arn't instant, catchy radio hits (think what Sex On Fire & then Use Somebody did for KoL, and Mr Brightside & Somebody Told Me for The Killers). They haven't really stepped up the venus sizes. Venues like Brixton are kind of standard, and they'd already played Hammersmith Apollo, a bigger venue, previously anyway.

It would be very interesting to see if they could pull off an arena show next year, similar to Frank Turner at Wembley, but they have again gone down the route of a medium sized venues tour like London Troxy. Time will tell, but in my opinion they've probably peaked in popularity right now.
Back to top Go down
matkins
A Contender
A Contender
matkins

PostSubject: Re: Increased popularity?   Increased popularity? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2012 10:55 am

I think their popularity has grown, but as someone living in the Southern US, I'm pretty isolated as far as hearing anything whatsoever about them. None of my friends are much of a fan. Our city, Atlanta, has no radio station with format to play them, so it might be different if that were the case. Do they get play on satellite radio? Aside from this forum, occasional magazine, Facebook, and the band's mailings, I see/hear very little about the band. In other words, what I hear is info that I seek out. I'm wondering how much the label is focused on promoting them in the US versus Europe. I have no idea what the sales figures are for US versus Europe, but I don't see how they can gain a significant increase in US popularity without some kind of comprehensive tour. While venues sell out repeatedly in the Northeast, I'm curious how venues across the States would sell with them headlining.
Back to top Go down
Xanthias
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Xanthias

PostSubject: Re: Increased popularity?   Increased popularity? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2012 10:59 am

Quote :
... but in my opinion they've probably peaked in popularity right now.
Agreed, if you mean that this is the top of the popularity they'll reach from Handwritten.
I do hope that they will get bigger with the next release: this was the first one from a major label, so who knows?

Quote :
In other words, what I hear is info that I seek out.
That's my exact feeling too, there's no buzzing about them, neither there was when Handwritten was released back in July, at least in Italy.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Increased popularity?   Increased popularity? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2012 12:07 pm

My anecdotal evidence tells me they definitely have increased popularity. I sometimes get people commenting if I'm wearing a Gaslight shirt. Never happened before Handwritten. Like...at all. But I definitely get the odd girl who knows who they are now. Again, it's all anecdotal but it seems that way to me.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Increased popularity?   Increased popularity? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2012 1:22 pm

I've had like one or two people note my gaslight handwritten shirt, but only one or two. I have heard 45 used on NASCAR promos this year, and two gaslight songs played as the pre-show music at The Springsteen concert in Pittsburgh. So they have come from where they were with 59 sound, but yeah, right now, outside of the alternative/underground scene barely know who they are.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Increased popularity?   Increased popularity? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2012 11:28 am

It also depends on where you are geographically. People know them pretty well around these parts nowadays. Maybe not "know them well", but a lot of people have heard of them. They have name recognition, at least.
Back to top Go down
EyesOnThatCadillac
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
EyesOnThatCadillac

PostSubject: Re: Increased popularity?   Increased popularity? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2012 4:54 pm

Here in Britain they've had a song played on BBC Radio 1. For those who don't know, Radio 1 is the station that is usually full of the shit artists like Nicki Minaj and Pitbull, but it's still the most listened to radio station. To have a song played on there is enough proof of increased popularity, but they've even had an hour long interview with the host. They've done quite a few interviews with other major radio stations too. They've got a song that is on NHL 13 (Howl) and I've probably seen about 3 or 4 people wearing Gaslight t-shirts, whereas I don't think I'd seen any before Handwritten was released.

I don't think they've reached their maximum popularity by any means. Musically Handwritten is the most critically acclaimed album they've done, and it got the deserved great reviews in British music magazines. But being signed to a major label should mean their exposure level is only going to rise.
Back to top Go down
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
A Contender
A Contender
sandyangryjohnnyormary?

PostSubject: Re: Increased popularity?   Increased popularity? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2012 7:00 pm

EyesOnThatCadillac wrote:
Musically Handwritten is the most critically acclaimed album they've done, and it got the deserved great reviews in British music magazines.

Really? It wasn't panned or anything, but the reviews over here seemed to be the most mixed of their last three releases.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Increased popularity?   Increased popularity? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2012 9:01 pm

I had one girl at Open Mic night last night notice the shirt I was wearing "Handwritten", and said "I am glad someone else knows who they are"
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: Increased popularity?   Increased popularity? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 12:39 am

EyesOnThatCadillac wrote:
Musically Handwritten is the most critically acclaimed album they've done, and it got the deserved great reviews in British music magazines.

I'd actually argue that it's their least critically acclaimed album....

http://www.metacritic.com/person/the-gaslight-anthem

Has the worst meta-score of their last three albums, meaning it received the worst reviews when compared to T59S and AS
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Increased popularity?   Increased popularity? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 1:39 am

Yeah none of their previous albums were ever given the title of "Worst New Music" by any publication that I know of

edit: On topic I would say they are more known maybe, but I don't know about more popular. I can walk into most stores and find several copies of Handwritten, but I don't know if anyone buys them.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Increased popularity?   Increased popularity? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 2:49 am

I definitely see more people recognizing them but not in a huge way. It helps that 45 has had tens of thousands of radio plays vs all their previous singles which had like 100 at best (nationwide). I could be slightly off on those numbers but I'm basing this off of stats that a producer friend of mine showed me.

As frustrating as it is, at least from some of our perspectives, to see them grow in popularity but not get the recognition they deserve, I think it's actually a really good thing that it's taking so long. They're really growing a strong fan base. They're earning life-long fans vs getting a ton of casual fans really quickly.
Back to top Go down
Andy_
A Contender
A Contender
Andy_

PostSubject: Re: Increased popularity?   Increased popularity? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 9:11 am

I saw them in 2010 at Leeds Festival and there wasn't a lot of people there but at Leeds Festival this year it was packed. It was really nice to see how they've gained way more fans since then
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/@DrewsBatches
Xanthias
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Xanthias

PostSubject: Re: Increased popularity?   Increased popularity? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 9:02 pm

Quote :
As frustrating as it is, at least from some of our perspectives, to see them grow in popularity but not get the recognition they deserve, I think it's actually a really good thing that it's taking so long. They're really growing a strong fan base. They're earning life-long fans vs getting a ton of casual fans really quickly.
Quite frustrating indeed, especially having in mind that we have to wait at least a year for another release!
Back to top Go down
DiamondSinatra
A Contender
A Contender
DiamondSinatra

PostSubject: Re: Increased popularity?   Increased popularity? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 10:38 pm

Here in Jersey, kinda seems that the popularity is stagnant, if anything.

The new album is sort of generic sounding and doesn't stick its neck out as jersey rock as they did in past albums. That's my take at least.
Back to top Go down
http://www.robdirienzo.com
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

PostSubject: Re: Increased popularity?   Increased popularity? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 6:34 am

I really dont think the Radio 1 playlisting will do any good for TGA.

That station is for kids who are spoonfed music via reality TV shows.

Sure, they may hear a TGA song, but that will be as far as it goes for 99% of them.

IMHO the Jools Holland show is the perfect platform, as they showed in 2010 but they have not been back.

Back to top Go down
Gumption
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Increased popularity?   Increased popularity? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 1:36 pm

I hear them on the radio (93.3 & 104.5) in Philly every time I am in the car (about once a week). I find it hard to believe that I am hearing the only play they get, so I would say they are getting decent recognition around here.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
A Contender
A Contender
Ghost

PostSubject: Re: Increased popularity?   Increased popularity? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 10:22 am

Steve70s wrote:

Sure, they may hear a TGA song, but that will be as far as it goes for 99% of them.

IMHO the Jools Holland show is the perfect platform, as they showed in 2010 but they have not been back.

It will do good in the sense that they'll sell a ton more records of that back of it, get into the charts more, i.e. increased exposure and shelf space in shops, people becoming aware of the band in the mainstream, this leads to higher, longer slots on main stages at festivals. Again, look what it did for Kings of Leon. Whether they are the type of people you want 'getting into' Gaslight, and going to their gigs etc, is another issue.

Jools is a great music show, but I'm not sure it really boosts bands popularity in a big way?
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

PostSubject: Re: Increased popularity?   Increased popularity? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 10:57 am

Ghost wrote:
Steve70s wrote:

It will do good in the sense that they'll sell a ton more records of that back of it, get into the charts more, i.e. increased exposure and shelf space in shops, people becoming aware of the band in the mainstream, this leads to higher, longer slots on main stages at festivals. Again, look what it did for Kings of Leon. Whether they are the type of people you want 'getting into' Gaslight, and going to their gigs etc, is another issue.

Jools is a great music show, but I'm not sure it really boosts bands popularity in a big way?

I really could not disagree more to be honest!

Does anyone sells tons of records anymore? Does anyone take any interest in the charts anymore?
Back to top Go down
Ghost
A Contender
A Contender
Ghost

PostSubject: Re: Increased popularity?   Increased popularity? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 12:29 pm

Steve70s wrote:
Ghost wrote:
Steve70s wrote:

I really could not disagree more to be honest!

Does anyone sells tons of records anymore? Does anyone take any interest in the charts anymore?

Tons *more* records. Yeah, they do. Me and you, and poeple that are really into music, don't give a shit about them because we actively seek out what we want to listen to because discovering good new music is a thrill. The kids that buy singles off iTunes, where the charts are mainly compiled these days, arn't interested in that. They hear a song on Radio One, they'll buy it. The general single buying public are not gonna be hearing Gaslight unless they are on Radio One. I know peoples younger brothers/sisters who have the top 40 playlisted on Spotify constantly.

Having the features on Radio One that they did (Zane Lowe played the single 3 times the first day they played and announced it!), contributed to Handwritten's success, no doubt.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Increased popularity?   Increased popularity? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 9:19 am

DiamondSinatra wrote:
Here in Jersey, kinda seems that the popularity is stagnant, if anything.

The new album is sort of generic sounding and doesn't stick its neck out as jersey rock as they did in past albums. That's my take at least.

Seriously? I don't know, man, I can't see any way to argue that they're not more popular than ever. Whether it's statistical or anecdotal, they clearly have been on an upward trajectory.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Increased popularity?   Increased popularity? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Increased popularity?
Page 1 of 1