DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to sound like TGA (guitar) ?

Go down 
+6
The_River
Asampson930
Holland
JimmyB
Harbortown
HolyBreakOfDay
10 posters
AuthorMessage
HolyBreakOfDay
Wooderson
Wooderson
HolyBreakOfDay

Guitar effect - How to sound like TGA (guitar) ? Empty
PostSubject: How to sound like TGA (guitar) ?   Guitar effect - How to sound like TGA (guitar) ? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 7:15 pm

I've been trying to have a similar sound but I can't, so maybe you guys can help me Very Happy

How do you put your amps to have the same sound? My amps are Roland Cube 60W and a Peavy Vypyr 10W, guitar LTD 256.

So if you have any advices... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://rockthiswayforum.forumsactifs.com/forum
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: How to sound like TGA (guitar) ?   Guitar effect - How to sound like TGA (guitar) ? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 7:39 pm

It's hard to say exactly how to make it sound like Brian's sound. SoS is different from 59S is different from AS etc.
I always make my guitar sound better than Brian's anyway, haha. Just go with what sounds good. It depends on so many different factors, like your strings, your amp, your pickups.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: How to sound like TGA (guitar) ?   Guitar effect - How to sound like TGA (guitar) ? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 7:46 pm

I get close to a sound of theirs by "On a MARSHALL MG40FX" putting it in overdrive, cranking the bass a bit past halfway, the treble about the same, and the middle higher. I have also messed around with the delay setting (Not helpful for that sound, but damn cool"
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: How to sound like TGA (guitar) ?   Guitar effect - How to sound like TGA (guitar) ? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 8:24 pm

For Alex R's lead sound I use a pretty clean signal from the amp (Blackstar S-45), into a Full Drive 2 pedal for the overdrive. In addition I have a 63 Fender reverb pedal and a Line 6 DL-4 which can do some cool tape delay sounds and volume swells perfect for Here's Looking At You Kid or Blue Jeans and White T-shirts. An of course a boost for solo's.

It would take a while for me to go through amp settings, which will differ from amp to amp anyway. But I don't like lead parts to sound too trebly so I use plenty mids and bass.
Back to top Go down
Asampson930
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How to sound like TGA (guitar) ?   Guitar effect - How to sound like TGA (guitar) ? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 2:12 pm

Go to brianfallon.net and scroll town and he explains his setup
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: How to sound like TGA (guitar) ?   Guitar effect - How to sound like TGA (guitar) ? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2015 7:01 am

Bumping this thread to make it an ongoing resource for anything related to TGA guitar/bass stuff. But maybe I should start a new topic ? Not sure there's somebody that really bother anyway...

Seems like Brian is back with a cream Les Paul in Australia, and doesn't play the JMI amp, but a Vox, that seems to be one of the handwired series.
Guitar effect - How to sound like TGA (guitar) ? B6607beeb11496ddadc92030f84f2e98-640x360
The brown woodstock guitar strap remains, it seems to be a favorite for him as it was on the white relic custom shop Telecaster he played on the US and Euro tour, that can be seen from the rig rundown at premier guitar.
http://musicfeeds.com.au/gig/the-gaslight-anthem-brisbane-the-tivoli-290115/#image21

Alex R. was pictured playing a Fender Jaguar as well.
Back to top Go down
NervousFeetHeartofStone
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How to sound like TGA (guitar) ?   Guitar effect - How to sound like TGA (guitar) ? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2015 2:09 am

This thread mentions different sounds through different albums, which is totally valid. Some of the tones on Slang and Handwritten aren't for me, though there are some gems. In my opinion, 59 Sound has the best guitar tones, and I find that my Dr. Z Maz 18 absolutely NAILS that sound. Clarity, punch, depth, a bit of breakup/dirt. It's the closest I've heard to it, and I'm playing a Gretsch G5622-CB. If I had a Tele or Les Paul, I imagine it'd be even closer.

To me, SoS is a good, clear Tele tone. 59 Sound just cleans it up, sets the EQ better and mixes it brighter.
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

PostSubject: Re: How to sound like TGA (guitar) ?   Guitar effect - How to sound like TGA (guitar) ? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2015 8:46 am

The_River wrote:
Bumping this thread to make it an ongoing resource for anything related to TGA guitar/bass stuff. But maybe I should start a new topic ? Not sure there's somebody that really bother anyway...

Seems like Brian is back with a cream Les Paul in Australia, and doesn't play the JMI amp, but a Vox, that seems to be one of the handwired series.
Guitar effect - How to sound like TGA (guitar) ? B6607beeb11496ddadc92030f84f2e98-640x360
The brown woodstock guitar strap remains, it seems to be a favorite for him as it was on the white relic custom shop Telecaster he played on the US and Euro tour, that can be seen from the rig rundown at premier guitar.
http://musicfeeds.com.au/gig/the-gaslight-anthem-brisbane-the-tivoli-290115/#image21

Alex R. was pictured playing a Fender Jaguar as well.

Great idea for a guitar/bass thread IMHO.
Back to top Go down
NotLikeWeBleed
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How to sound like TGA (guitar) ?   Guitar effect - How to sound like TGA (guitar) ? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2015 12:21 pm

So glad I saw this thread, I love how often they change it up and slightly alter the tone. I think depending on the song sometimes it can kinda breath new life into it. Talked guitars and amps with Brian a few years ago at Guitar Center where he was buying an old fender tweed (can't remember what year it was) but yeah he was saying how he loves to constantly try new things and how cool the Nash guitars were. Gotta admit though, i was liking the Tele tone with the Lollars so far this tour.
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: How to sound like TGA (guitar) ?   Guitar effect - How to sound like TGA (guitar) ? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2015 5:40 am

NervousFeetHeartofStone wrote:
This thread mentions different sounds through different albums, which is totally valid. Some of the tones on Slang and Handwritten aren't for me, though there are some gems. In my opinion, 59 Sound has the best guitar tones, and I find that my Dr. Z Maz 18 absolutely NAILS that sound. Clarity, punch, depth, a bit of breakup/dirt. It's the closest I've heard to it, and I'm playing a Gretsch G5622-CB. If I had a Tele or Les Paul, I imagine it'd be even closer.

To me, SoS is a good, clear Tele tone. 59 Sound just cleans it up, sets the EQ better and mixes it brighter.

I don't think Brian used the Dr. Z amps until American Slang. To me American Slang is the only album he used Dr. Z amps, and the crunch on it does sound like the Remedy head he brought on tour.

The MAZ18 is still la really great amp, nonetheless.

But I'm pretty sure that for T59S it's all Fulltone tube tape echo with a bassman tweed, and also maybe some vox ac30. That's all you'd see him play in official videos and live sets. As for the guitars I can clearly remember that he revolved around a Telecaster, an LP jr VOS and the LP Goldtop VOS, that seems to be one of his mainstay and that Brad Clifford used to fill for 3rd guitar while Perkins was filling on bass during their last euro tour.

I can clearly remember the Goldtop and Jr from the first time I've seen them play for their T59S euro tour.

NotLikeWeBleed wrote:
Gotta admit though, i was liking the Tele tone with the Lollars so far this tour.

On the last tour (before the aussie tour) he only had one Tele with Lollar PUs. The 2 others Teles he played where loaded with fender custom shop nocaster sets, as explained on the premier guitar rig rundown. Seems like he was really into the white relic custom shop Tele.

Guitar effect - How to sound like TGA (guitar) ? Fallon-Guitars-WEB
Back to top Go down
NervousFeetHeartofStone
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How to sound like TGA (guitar) ?   Guitar effect - How to sound like TGA (guitar) ? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2015 5:46 am

Oh for sure! There's this bit from the American Slang tour where he discusses the Remedy: http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/live-rigs-revealed-the-gaslight-anthems-brian-fallon-433105

But I've never seen him with it live save for a few performances, though I've seen Alex with a few Z's over the years, and Matchless too.. But Brian always seems to return to the Fender Bassman Tweed and either Vox or JMI AC30. I find the Maz pulls off a good mix of the two, so I find it does '59 Sound tones pretty strongly.

I find it interesting too how he's bounced between Nash and Fender Tele's over the years. On the Handwritten tour I'm pretty sure it was a Nash (with the number 5 in tape on the body), and now he's back on Fenders.
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: How to sound like TGA (guitar) ?   Guitar effect - How to sound like TGA (guitar) ? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2015 6:34 am

though I've seen Alex with a few Z's over the years, and Matchless too.

I'm pretty sure he used a DC-30 for quite along time. Can't remember which Z he used.
Guitar effect - How to sound like TGA (guitar) ? 23-630-80

But Brian always seems to return to the Fender Bassman Tweed and either Vox or JMI AC30.

Not really the bassman but a lot of tweed. He used a bassman tweed, the EC signature twinolux was one of his mainstay, he had a thrashed deluxe that was sold on ebay. He also has two Penn amps described here :  
http://www.300guitars.com/2011/07/18/new-pennalizer-for-brian-fallon-of-the-gaslight-anthem/
http://www.300guitars.com/2012/01/30/another-new-pennalizer-amp-for-brian-fallon-of-the-gaslight-anthem/

As with the guitars, he seems to revolve around Tweed amps and Vox-like amps.

I remember he also used a Morgan amp for a couple gigs during the last tour for handwritten, but he quickly got rid of it. He also used a 3 monkeys amp at some point on this same tour.

I find it interesting too how he's bounced between Nash and Fender Tele's over the years. On the Handwritten tour I'm pretty sure it was a Nash (with the number 5 in tape on the body), and now he's back on Fenders.

I don't think he used that many Nash actually. He used them for Elsie, but since then it's all about Fender and Gibson. Nash has refinished a few guitars for him as well.
What you call N°5, or actually "Ole Blue" (that's how Brad Clifford called it once) is my favorite guitar Brian ever used. It is a Fender Masterbuilt Relic telecaster painted black over lake placid blue, 9.5" radius and medium jumbo 6105 frets. It is now owned by one guy in New Jersey that has a big collection of TGA old axes : http://instagram.com/centraljerseyskies/
Guitar effect - How to sound like TGA (guitar) ? 595b9414224b11e3a45b22000a9e06cb_7

Also we have to mention that one crucial element of Brian's tone was this : http://www.frantone.com/hi-ball.html

Here is an extensive list of what Brian used over the years : http://www.uberproaudio.com/who-plays-what/655-the-gaslight-anthem-brian-fallon-guitar-rig-gear-and-equipment
Back to top Go down
shredderrrrrr
A Contender
A Contender
shredderrrrrr

PostSubject: Re: How to sound like TGA (guitar) ?   Guitar effect - How to sound like TGA (guitar) ? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2015 5:33 pm

Quote :
It is now owned by one guy in New Jersey that has a big collection of TGA old axes : http://instagram.com/centraljerseyskies/

Damn, this guy needs to stop buying so many nice guitars and focus instead on practicing.
Back to top Go down
NervousFeetHeartofStone
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How to sound like TGA (guitar) ?   Guitar effect - How to sound like TGA (guitar) ? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2015 5:53 pm

The_River wrote:
though I've seen Alex with a few Z's over the years, and Matchless too.

I'm pretty sure he used a DC-30 for quite along time. Can't remember which Z he used.
Guitar effect - How to sound like TGA (guitar) ? 23-630-80

But Brian always seems to return to the Fender Bassman Tweed and either Vox or JMI AC30.

Not really the bassman but a lot of tweed. He used a bassman tweed, the EC signature twinolux was one of his mainstay, he had a thrashed deluxe that was sold on ebay. He also has two Penn amps described here :  
http://www.300guitars.com/2011/07/18/new-pennalizer-for-brian-fallon-of-the-gaslight-anthem/
http://www.300guitars.com/2012/01/30/another-new-pennalizer-amp-for-brian-fallon-of-the-gaslight-anthem/

As with the guitars, he seems to revolve around Tweed amps and Vox-like amps.

I remember he also used a Morgan amp for a couple gigs during the last tour for handwritten, but he quickly got rid of it. He also used a 3 monkeys amp at some point on this same tour.

I don't think he used that many Nash actually. He used them for Elsie, but since then it's all about Fender and Gibson. Nash has refinished a few guitars for him as well.
What you call N°5, or actually "Ole Blue" (that's how Brad Clifford called it once) is my favorite guitar Brian ever used. It is a Fender Masterbuilt Relic telecaster painted black over lake placid blue, 9.5" radius and medium jumbo 6105 frets. It is now owned by one guy in New Jersey that has a big collection of TGA old axes : http://instagram.com/centraljerseyskies/
Guitar effect - How to sound like TGA (guitar) ? 595b9414224b11e3a45b22000a9e06cb_7

Also we have to mention that one crucial element of Brian's tone was this : http://www.frantone.com/hi-ball.html

Here is an extensive list of what Brian used over the years : http://www.uberproaudio.com/who-plays-what/655-the-gaslight-anthem-brian-fallon-guitar-rig-gear-and-equipment

Alex has got either a Maz 18 or 38 up there, sweet red tolex.

I suppose I mistook those Penn's for Fender's! So much tweed/cream tolex...

I didn't even know there was a market for buying up old Gaslight guitars, I didn't figure they were that hot of a commodity.. That's neat though. I think I'm mixing up Brian with Laura Jane Grace, she just got a Nash Tele not long ago. Good shit, no doubt.
Back to top Go down
NervousFeetHeartofStone
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How to sound like TGA (guitar) ?   Guitar effect - How to sound like TGA (guitar) ? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2015 5:56 pm

Also, that Hi-Ball sounds like it would be damn awesome.. I think my pedal board will always have an endless rotating door of drive/dirt pedals.
Back to top Go down
NervousFeetHeartofStone
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How to sound like TGA (guitar) ?   Guitar effect - How to sound like TGA (guitar) ? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2015 6:17 pm

PS I think it'd be interesting to get people's opinion, since the guitar sound on each record has changed pretty dramatically- what album has your favourite tone and why?
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: How to sound like TGA (guitar) ?   Guitar effect - How to sound like TGA (guitar) ? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2015 10:15 pm

Get an EHX soul food, you'll be good for days about dirt pedals. The hi ball is 3 overdrives in one. I have a Brooklyn that is one of the 3 options you have on the hi bll and it's really loud and weird.
Also I really like the guitar tone on rollin and tumblin. Not sure if it's the red llama brian used or the amp straight but it does sound real good.
I like the 59 sound because it all sounds so vintage. That's so great.
Back to top Go down
NervousFeetHeartofStone
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How to sound like TGA (guitar) ?   Guitar effect - How to sound like TGA (guitar) ? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2015 10:51 pm

The Soul Food's been on my radar.. I have yet to demo it though. I've got a Pigtronix Disnortion and a Hot Cake clone that work nicely together, but I'm always looking for something new. Generally I only use both as a push over the edge for an already dimed and nicely broken up overdrive on the Maz.

59 Sound is for sure my favourite, too. Perfect cranked Fender tones, although other records have some nice moments. Alex's lead bits on "Helter Skeleton" I think are brilliant tones. I like the clarity and punch of the guitars on SoS, despite a rough mix.
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: How to sound like TGA (guitar) ?   Guitar effect - How to sound like TGA (guitar) ? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 5:37 am

Generally I only use both as a push over the edge for an already dimed and nicely broken up overdrive on the Maz.

Then you will looooove the soul food.

I really like the delay tone on 1000 years. It's incredibly textured.
Back to top Go down
NervousFeetHeartofStone
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How to sound like TGA (guitar) ?   Guitar effect - How to sound like TGA (guitar) ? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 7:51 pm

I tried out the Soul Food today, dug it. But I had it side-by-side with a Maxon OD9 and must say the Maxon took the prize, a little extra clarity and punch. Plus, a little more versatile/thick than a TS9. But, that's a 100$ difference, so for the price the Soul Food is sweet tone.

Agreed on 1000 Years though, that whole song sounds warm and thick. I actually really like some of the crunch on Stray Paper too, a little wild and hairy. A lot of the sounds on Handwritten don't appeal to me, Brendan's whole wall-of-sound thing is great, but to me the guitars come off mushy and too dark.
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: How to sound like TGA (guitar) ?   Guitar effect - How to sound like TGA (guitar) ? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2015 5:30 am

Update on Alex R. pedalboard:
Guitar effect - How to sound like TGA (guitar) ? 10932649_924734407566222_1447904872_n
I'm pretty sure the bridge pick-up on the jaguar has been modified from the australian tour.
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

PostSubject: Re: How to sound like TGA (guitar) ?   Guitar effect - How to sound like TGA (guitar) ? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2015 5:36 am

looks like a little 59 to me in the bridge
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: How to sound like TGA (guitar) ?   Guitar effect - How to sound like TGA (guitar) ? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2015 10:17 am

Most probably it is, yeah.
The TC Flashback is out, the spot is now taken by the Empress Superdelay, and the TS9 and Ram the Manparts fuzz have been switched by other drives. The black one is built by B. Clifford, their tech, I can't identify the one with a lightning bolt on it.
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: How to sound like TGA (guitar) ?   Guitar effect - How to sound like TGA (guitar) ? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 1:17 pm

I like this old video:
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: How to sound like TGA (guitar) ?   Guitar effect - How to sound like TGA (guitar) ? Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2015 8:56 am

If you wonder what happened to this guitar:
Guitar effect - How to sound like TGA (guitar) ? Tumblr_mhg7ksaEfA1ridk4ro1_1280

The neck got twisted for some reason, and Gibson in Nashville couldn't fix it. So apparently Brian just smashed it at some point. Crazy!
Also Bud is because Brendan O'Brien kinda used this word a lot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to sound like TGA (guitar) ?   Guitar effect - How to sound like TGA (guitar) ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to sound like TGA (guitar) ?
Page 1 of 1