DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Guitar Help

Go down 
+2
Harbortown
jzancan
6 posters
AuthorMessage
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Guitar Help   Guitar Help Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 1:36 am

I'm having issues with my Yamaha acoustic electric. I've played guitar for a while, but my tech knowledge is pretty limited. If anybody has any insight, I'll take anything you got:

When I first got my guitar (about three years ago), I could capo it without the strings being pulled sharp (even using a Kyser), and the guitar had no buzz (with or without a capo). Now, I get decent buzz on the middle strings (particularly D over the entire neck and higher up on the A), and the capo pulls it tight, even adjustable ones.

I was thinking it might need a truss rod adjustment, but I don't know how to reconcile that with those two issues. The strings being pulled tight makes me think it might have too much relief, but the buzz makes me think backbow. Not sure what else could get thrown out of whack when it went almost three years playing fine.

Two things to know: I changed strings a couple months back from whatever came from Yamaha to custom lights (yes, I had the same strings for 2 years), and I keep it tuned to D standard.

If anybody has any thought before I take it to a guitar shop, I'm much appreciative.

Last edited by jzancan on Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Help   Guitar Help Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 2:33 am

Whenever a capo causes string buzz for me I just physically press the capo down until it doesn't buss anymore. If that doesn't work though I'm all out of ideas.
Back to top Go down
moosicmaniac
A Contender
A Contender

Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Help   Guitar Help Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 2:40 am

try putting the capo closer to the fret (closer to the neck than the middle)
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Help   Guitar Help Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 8:52 pm

Are you doing Chord formations in a way that you will not be blocking a string? Oh, 6 or 12 string? Something I have found out the hard way was, a 12 string needs a 12 string capo or else you cannot use the capo below the third fret without the lower E strings and the A strings completely buzzing when open. Otherwise, clean the fretboard off and make sure there is no obstruction after that, I have no idea.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Help   Guitar Help Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 9:15 pm

Two things come to mind.
1. Check the bridge, see if it's intact and all good
2. I've experimented with D standard tuning, and it gives me some trouble in terms of staying in tune, see if the problem persists in E standard. If it does, you have disproven my theory
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Help   Guitar Help Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2014 5:13 am

1st option : your guitar needs a set up, the neck curve and the action are not set up the right way. Please purchase this : Cruztools GrooveTech Guitar Player Tech Kit and refer to this in order to learn how to set up your guitar : http://www.fender.com/fr-FR/support/articles/fender-guitar-setup-guide/

2nd option : your frets are flat, they need to be reshaped or replaced by a guitar tech

3rd option : if you are drop tuning you can't really stay with a regular 10-46 gauge to keep in tune. The tension will be too small to have a good tuning. You need to increase the gauge a little 11-49 might do it for D standard. For exemple, I use 12-54 strings for a C# tuned guitar.

4th option : there is no fourth option.
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Help   Guitar Help Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2014 1:56 pm

Thanks for the comments, everyone. Very helpful.

Some of these things I've tried (pressing on capo, positioning closer to fret, checking the bridges), still same issues.

The most likely thing I'm thinking, based on the issues I'm having and the responses, is that it's probably something to do with string gauge/tuning and neck curve. Definitely going to see what happens in E standard.

Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
Sponsored content

Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Help   Guitar Help Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Guitar Help
Page 1 of 1