DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi

Go down 
+10
Jerseyrain
bt211
IrishNameAndAnInjury
Klown
Daire
TheContender
njguy99
StitchesOnTheRadio
jdc
LuceroDiehard
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
LuceroDiehard
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
LuceroDiehard

Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi Empty
PostSubject: Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi   Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 6:25 pm

“Brian Fallon is a Springsteen freak who …more closely resembles a different son of Jersey” says Rolling Stone’s Jon Dolan in his “Aim for Bruce, HIt Boni Jovi” piece in the August 16 edition”

http://tinyurl.com/d65u25k
Back to top Go down
http://bobbyw24.tumblr.com/archive
jdc
A Contender
A Contender
jdc

Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi   Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 6:55 pm

1) Is this the article that Brian was interviewed for where he thanked them? Not that a source or subject should have any say over the content of an article, but you would expect that if Brian had a good enough experience to thank them, the profile would be flattering.

2) For the fellas in here, when you click on that link, it may be worth clicking on the link next to the photographer's name. Looks like she's worked hard to get in shape, if you catch my meaning.
Back to top Go down
LuceroDiehard
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
LuceroDiehard

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi   Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 7:02 pm

jdc wrote:

2) For the fellas in here, when you click on that link, it may be worth clicking on the link next to the photographer's name. Looks like she's worked hard to get in shape, if you catch my meaning.

Indeed--Sara worked her ass off from December 2011 to thre present.

I went to the Asbury show with her in December and she looked great.

Recently she looks simply stunning.

I advise people here to read her books

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1453680683/
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi   Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 7:24 pm

Wow, low blow, haha. But seriously? I can't even comment on this statement.
Back to top Go down
LuceroDiehard
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
LuceroDiehard

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi   Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 7:30 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
Wow, low blow, haha. But seriously? I can't even comment on this statement.

Haters gonna hate more when you succeed
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi   Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 9:01 am

I'll be very interested to read this whole article when it comes out, but I'm reminded of the 2010 Rolling Stone profile that called Brian "the next Jersey rock hero."

It's all subjective...
Back to top Go down
LuceroDiehard
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
LuceroDiehard

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi   Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 9:03 am

njguy99 wrote:
I'll be very interested to read this whole article when it comes out, but I'm reminded of the 2010 Rolling Stone profile that called Brian "the next Jersey rock hero."

It's all subjective...

It is out in the hard copy of the magazine
Back to top Go down
TheContender
A Contender
A Contender
TheContender

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi   Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 10:28 am

Beautifu woman, but odd piece (article).
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi   Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 10:53 am

bobbyw24 wrote:
njguy99 wrote:

It's all subjective...

It is out in the hard copy of the magazine

Yeah, I know, but my copy of the magazine hasn't arrived yet, and it isn't on the web site. That's all I meant... Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi   Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 12:55 pm

Article blasts Brian Fallon, everyone pays attention to the hot photographer. Razz
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi   Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 1:59 pm

Matt L wrote:
Article blasts Brian Fallon, everyone pays attention to the hot photographer. Razz

cheers lol!
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi   Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 2:58 pm

And, speak of the devil, my Rolling Stone came today.

This is not an article "blasting" gaslight. It's not even really an article. It's a 250 word essay about how bands try to imitate Sprinsteen and fail. Equal venom is spent on The Killers.

He does say:

Quote :
"Mullholland Drive, with its big chorus and cornball lyrics about dreams and pounding hearts, is practically a talk-box solo away from Livin' On A Prayer."

So I'd take anything this guy says with a tremendously large grain of salt.

Last edited by njguy99 on Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi   Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 3:54 pm

What's wrong with Bon Jovi...?
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi   Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 3:55 pm

Daire wrote:
Up to and including Keep The Faith, nothing.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi   Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 4:49 pm

Klown wrote:
Daire wrote:
Up to and including Keep The Faith, nothing.

Nothing's wrong with Bon Jovi at all. Their 80s stuff is my favorite, Slippery When Wet and New Jersey, but some of their later songs are okay too. They've sold over 100,000,000 albums, so they're doing something right! Smile
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi   Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 4:50 pm

Laughing I have that boxset somewhere.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi   Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 4:54 pm

Klown wrote:
Laughing I have that boxset somewhere.

So does my sister. She's a massive Bon Jovi fan.

I hope my RS magazine comes today. I need to read this article!
Back to top Go down
bt211
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi   Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 6:15 pm

I received my RS copy in the mail today.

What Jon Dolan writes is really just a column in which he is trying to fill the space with puns of song titles. I also like Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, Jesse Malin and Ryan Adams so for me this is a "whatever" shrug. Jesse Malin has some connection to this group of people but no idea what made him bring Ryan Adams in here (other than that Jesse Malin and Ryan Adams are friends) Rolling Eyes

Aside from that, most bands would be happy to have as much sustained success as Bon Jovi. And I may save the small picture, looks cool

I googled the guy, apparently he writes for SPIN as well.

On page 12, The Playlist, "Handwritten" gets second favorite song and the record is referred to as "great new disc".
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi   Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 8:28 pm

Daire wrote:

Nothing, unless you compare him to Springsteen (in terms of depth not commercial success). That's what makes it an insult.

Also, considering TGA are a band with depth as their main selling point, it's like saying "Brian Fallon shoots for meaningful storytelling and ends up writing dance music." (not sayin' Bon Jovi is dance music, he's just very pop).
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi   Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 8:35 pm

Go listen to 'New Jersey' and then call it pop.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi   Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 8:40 pm

Klown wrote:
Go listen to 'New Jersey' and then call it pop.

I'm not calling it ALL pop. He just has a lot of songs that are catchy hits. Again, not a bad thing just different and I'm aware that doesn't pertain to ALL of his music but let's be honest, we all know the person who made this statement is not referring to those songs.
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi   Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 8:43 pm

It all comes down to how you define 'pop' music, at the end of the day, its popular music, and Gaslight fit into that category now as well, and probably over the coming years, will fit it more and more.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi   Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2012 3:27 pm

Daire wrote:

Nothing is wrong with Bon Jovi. Theyre a highly successful band that have been writing good songs for years. Ok they were much better up to and including their These Days album but theyre still writing good stuff and have a hell of a live performance to back it up. Not a lot of bands will play for 2 and a half hours with such enthusiasm and energy
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi   Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2012 3:32 pm

jdc wrote:

For the fellas in here, when you click on that link, it may be worth clicking on the link next to the photographer's name. Looks like she's worked hard to get in shape, if you catch my meaning.

Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi   Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2012 3:37 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
Daire wrote:

Nothing, unless you compare him to Springsteen (in terms of depth not commercial success). That's what makes it an insult.

Also, considering TGA are a band with depth as their main selling point, it's like saying "Brian Fallon shoots for meaningful storytelling and ends up writing dance music." (not sayin' Bon Jovi is dance music, he's just very pop).

I think it shows how much you know about Bon Jovi when you refer to them as 'he' when they're a band of unbelievably talented musicians. And the fact that you consider them as pop means you likely only know the more recent singles such as Its My Life, or the overplayed songs like Livin on a prayer (which is a rock song at the end of the day). I know my tone sounds like Im having a go. Im not meaning to sound nasty Im just trying to make the opposing point. Im obviously a fan of Bon Jovi and if you imagine someone providing an uninformed opinion about Gaslight Id imagine you'd have something to say so thats all Im doing here. if Bon Jovi aren't for you then fair enough. Just do your research first and give an informed opinion. I'd take Klown's advice and go and listen to the 'New Jersey' album. If you're not pleasantly surprised Im not sure if theres any help for you. Like I said its the more recent singles which touch upon pop rock but anything before 1997 is genius.
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi   Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rolling Stone reviewer says Brian Fallon Aims for Bruce, but Hits Bon Jovi
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next