DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Visions-Magazine

Go down 
+13
IrishNameAndAnInjury
Jack
bringiton_ty
saltandburn1967
enola
YouCanCallMeSally
StitchesOnTheRadio
Hanswurst
thomas94
plugga
steady now steady now
tyoac
Krusimo
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

Visions-Magazine - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Visions-Magazine   Visions-Magazine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 11:39 am

temper! lol. wow thanx for translating that.i wish i was in that pub to hear it and see! Brians had some shit it seems from that interview a few weeks ago and judging from what the interviewer said “ I think I've just said a few things, which I better shouldn't have said.”, knows he shouldnt jumped at that question. Poor guy seems stressed. He can believe what he wants same as we all can. I love his music and lyrics despite not being a Christian, doesnt make a difference to me
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
YouCanCallMeSally
A Contender
A Contender
YouCanCallMeSally

PostSubject: Re: Visions-Magazine   Visions-Magazine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 12:20 pm

Thank you Thomas! And thank you Manuela!! I chose to read it in German tho, I don't trust anything I haven't translated myself Wink Very Happy

Seriously, Manuela, I agree with you. The Handwritten part is great...but the rest of it...puh...not sure what to think about it.
Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/rubychaos
saltandburn1967
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
saltandburn1967

PostSubject: Re: Visions-Magazine   Visions-Magazine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 3:00 pm

Hrm, I don't find any of that offensive. Dude just believes something differently than other people. People don't need to shoot down his beliefs just cause he believes one thing. He even says people should respect other people's beliefs. Brian Fallon has some balls.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Visions-Magazine   Visions-Magazine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 3:50 pm

Leave it to Brian Fallon to believe in Maria and Joseph.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
YouCanCallMeSally
A Contender
A Contender
YouCanCallMeSally

PostSubject: Re: Visions-Magazine   Visions-Magazine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 4:19 pm

That's not what I meant. Everybody believe in what they want. Plus he says he isn't here to try to make anybody believe what he does. So that's fair. I just think there's a strange vibe to that interview.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Visions-Magazine   Visions-Magazine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 5:21 pm

JackStreetcar wrote:
Leave it to Brian Fallon to believe in Maria and Joseph.

lol! I think that was a mistake in the translation.

I'm a Christian who does believe in evolution. I have a hard time understanding when people don't, given the amount of evidence. BUT I am 100% behind Brian on this. He has his reasons for believing what he believes and he's right, he doesn't have to explain anything to anyone. (Although I personally am curious and would never attack him on his reasons). He's also right that we can't force other people to believe what we believe and we shouldn't try because that only leads to horrible things. Go pick up a history book if you need examples.

He isn't talking about religion so much as basic human (and if you're American, constitutional) rights. Good for him getting angry, this stuff needs to be said more often.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Visions-Magazine   Visions-Magazine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 6:19 pm

saltandburn1967 wrote:
Hrm, I don't find any of that offensive. Dude just believes something differently than other people. People don't need to shoot down his beliefs just cause he believes one thing. He even says people should respect other people's beliefs. Brian Fallon has some balls.

I agree with Chris. Brian is saying that everyone should be respectful of everyone else. You don't see him shooting down anyone else's beliefs just because they differ from his. And yes, it does take a lot of courage to stand up for what you believe in, especially when you are being called out on it and painted in a negative light.

None of Brian's comments or religious views change how great the music is, so maybe people that have issues with what he's saying should just ignore the interviews and focus on the music instead. I actually like that he's so outspoken, but I hope there isn't a ton of backlash from this article.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Visions-Magazine   Visions-Magazine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 6:32 pm

IrishNameAndAnInjury wrote:
saltandburn1967 wrote:

I agree with Chris. Brian is saying that everyone should be respectful of everyone else. You don't see him shooting down anyone else's beliefs just because they differ from his. And yes, it does take a lot of courage to stand up for what you believe in, especially when you are being called out on it and painted in a negative light.

None of Brian's comments or religious views change how great the music is, so maybe people that have issues with what he's saying should just ignore the interviews and focus on the music instead. I actually like that he's so outspoken, but I hope there isn't a ton of backlash from this article.

Agreed. I'm holding my breathe waiting for this place to blow up though. I hope it doesn't. Smile

Oh! I forgot, thanks Thomas for translating the rest of the article!!!
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Visions-Magazine   Visions-Magazine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 6:43 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
saltandburn1967 wrote:

Agreed. I'm holding my breathe waiting for this place to blow up though. I hope it doesn't. Smile

I'm holding my breath too. I never used to worry about people blowing up around here, but after the last couple of interviews, it seems inevitable, doesn't it? Kind of sad, really. Sad

And yes, thanks so much Thomas for translating! That was really nice of you! Smile
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: Visions-Magazine   Visions-Magazine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 7:02 pm

I don't think the translations are 100% accurate surely. Knowing the guy that Brian is I can't see him telling people to 'fuck off', that's just not him. It doesn't sound like him and I've never seen interviews and heard him talk like that.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Visions-Magazine   Visions-Magazine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 7:07 pm

Christophe wrote:
I don't think the translations are 100% accurate surely. Knowing the guy that Brian is I can't see him telling people to 'fuck off', that's just not him. It doesn't sound like him and I've never seen interviews and heard him talk like that.

This could also very well be like that other article where the writer posted that explanation saying that a lot of the interview didn't make it into the article and stuff. Editing and putting a spin on Brian's words could be the issue here. We'll probably never know, but like they say, don't believe everything you read, right?
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: Visions-Magazine   Visions-Magazine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 7:13 pm

Christophe wrote:

This could also very well be like that other article where the writer posted that explanation saying that a lot of the interview didn't make it into the article and stuff. Editing and putting a spin on Brian's words could be the issue here. We'll probably never know, but like they say, don't believe everything you read, right?

Yeah I guess so. I don't think Brian would speak that aggressively in an interview with anyone even if he was pretty pissed off. I'm finding it harder and harder to know what is real and what is spun/made up in these interviews now Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Visions-Magazine   Visions-Magazine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 7:14 pm

Christophe wrote:
I don't think the translations are 100% accurate surely. Knowing the guy that Brian is I can't see him telling people to 'fuck off', that's just not him.

don't mean to be a prick but or anything but no one on here knows Brian enough to say 'thats just not the kinda person he is'

i mean maybe he did say it and it was something he needed to get off his chest.
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: Visions-Magazine   Visions-Magazine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 7:18 pm

oldgospelchoir wrote:
Christophe wrote:
I don't think the translations are 100% accurate surely. Knowing the guy that Brian is I can't see him telling people to 'fuck off', that's just not him.

don't mean to be a prick but or anything but no one on here knows Brian enough to say 'thats just not the kinda person he is'

Yeah maybe he did. I'm just saying from the tons of interviews I've read and watched he doesn't talk like that.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Visions-Magazine   Visions-Magazine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 7:20 pm

Christophe wrote:
Christophe wrote:

Yeah I guess so. I don't think Brian would speak that aggressively in an interview with anyone even if he was pretty pissed off. I'm finding it harder and harder to know what is real and what is spun/made up in these interviews now Rolling Eyes

Me too. It's really annoying because I think sometimes they are trying to make him out to be a bad guy and we know he's not.
Back to top Go down
thomas94
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
thomas94

PostSubject: Re: Visions-Magazine   Visions-Magazine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 7:22 pm

Well, I think I need to clarify some things here. As I already mentioned elsewhere before: I've to talked to many Gaslight Anthem fans from Germany in the last years. As far as I can adjudicate upon that topic, it has never been such a big thing here in Germany that it seems to be ... about half of the Gaslight Fans I talked to didn't apprently even notice the interview where Brian told he is a creationist, there have been others that just accepted that or didn't care about what he believes in...and there have been some others wondering, smirking or being interested what made him be a creationist and hoping to get some further details on his belief. But I never noticed anyone really attacking, offending him because of his belief. I can't imagine that there are people trying to forbid his opinion,too.. they must at least be very few.

As you may have noticed the magazine/the author seems to feel a little offended (which is also written in the blue box on page 6, where the author of the article writes "Should you still talk to somebody like that? And how to react on that? Should we laugh about that or accept that he curses at you?").

That is what probably happened: Someone from the Visions magazine cam to that pub just to talk about 30 minutes or so to those artists. In the interview they told Brian that there are people talking about his faith and asked him to tell something about it - and Brian got that wrong, like: "there are people who don't want me to believe in creation"..

I mean, I didn't ever notice sb. from the magazine saying "It's not good that you believe in that" or "You can't believe in that" in the article...but it seemed to me like Brian understood 'em to say so and reacted like "you are complete idiots, if you tell me that I can't believe in what I want to...Bite me! " or "I don't have to think the same as you."

And I guess that's the point where they felt offended. They traveled all the kilometers just to interview them and then the artist tells you that you should piss off! and that you are complete idiots and even more facists. Calling somebody a facist can be a sensitive topic (especially regarding the historical background) here in Germany. I think in the end it's some kind of a misunderstanding between visions and Brian...

Last edited by thomas94 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Visions-Magazine   Visions-Magazine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 7:23 pm

Christophe wrote:
oldgospelchoir wrote:
Christophe wrote:

Yeah maybe he did. I'm just saying from the tons of interviews I've read and watched he doesn't talk like that.

it would be weird if the interviewer took the interview and presented to the public that way cause I doubt any journalist would wanna lose their credibility

if Brian acted like this in every interview and he would have a very little fanbase....i still think he was having one of those days and maybe people have been coming up to him prior or after shows asking him about it...so he got annoyed and kinda went off in the next interview.

Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Visions-Magazine   Visions-Magazine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 7:40 pm

There's also the fact that this was translated from English to German and back to English.
Back to top Go down
YouCanCallMeSally
A Contender
A Contender
YouCanCallMeSally

PostSubject: Re: Visions-Magazine   Visions-Magazine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 7:56 pm

thomas94 wrote:
Well, I think I need to clarify some things here. As I already mentioned elsewhere before: I've to talked to many Gaslight Anthem fans from Germany in the last years. As far as I can adjudicate upon that topic, it has never been such a big thing here in Germany that it seems to be ... about half of the Gaslight Fans I talked to didn't apprently even notice the interview where Brian told he is a creationist, there have been others that just accepted that or didn't care about what he believes in...and there have been some others wondering, smirking or being interested what made him be a creationist and hoping to get some further details on his belief. But I never noticed anyone really attacking, offending him because of his belief. I can't imagine that there are people trying to forbid his opinion,too.. they must at least be very few.

As you may have noticed the magazine/the author seems to feel a little offended (which is also written in the blue box on page 6, where the author of the article writes "Should you still talk to somebody like that? And how to react on that? Should we laugh about that or accept that he curses at you?").

That is what probably happened: Someone from the Visions magazine cam to that pub just to talk about 30 minutes or so to those artists. In the interview they told Brian that there are people talking about his faith and asked him to tell something about it - and Brian got that wrong, like: "there are people who don't want me to believe in creation"..

I mean, I didn't ever notice sb. from the magazine saying "It's not good that you believe in that" or "You can't believe in that" in the article...but it seemed to me like Brian understood 'em to say so and reacted like "you are complete idiots, if you tell me that I can't believe in what I want to...Bite me! " or "I don't have to think the same as you."

And I guess that's the point where they felt offended. They traveled all the kilometers just to interview them and then the artist tells you that you should piss off! and that you are complete idiots and even more facists. Calling somebody a facist can be a sensitive topic (especially regarding the historical background) here in Germany. I think in the end it's some kind of a misunderstanding between visions and Brian...

I totally like your theory High Five

I don't think the Visions woman felt offended and called a fascist, plus that was taken from the interview with absolute punk (ok refering to the visions article) but I think she desperately wanted to create an article that makes you shake your head reading it. I mean I'm strongly assuming that she started that whole evolution thing over again, must have, since Brian didn't even know it was such a big deal he had said that. And after a long day of interviews in a pub, being tired...I wouldn't have the nerves either

Back to top Go down
YouCanCallMeSally
A Contender
A Contender
YouCanCallMeSally

PostSubject: Re: Visions-Magazine   Visions-Magazine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 8:02 pm

Christophe wrote:

Yup he did say that. The translation is definately accurate there. Within context and everything.
Everybody is stressed sometimes and when there's an issue that pisses you off, well, then you curse even if you don't curse.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Visions-Magazine   Visions-Magazine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 3:47 am

Maybe I read it wrong but I didn't think he was calling the interviewer a fascist or telling him/her to fuck off. I thought he was making a general statement like "you" as in "the people out there who think this". Oh man, I wonder if because of the issue of translation the interviewer did take that the wrong way. That sucks if that happened.

Religion is a touchy subject with most people. I mean all the info he got was like "people are talking about your beliefs" and, given that his belief in creationism specifically often gets a lot of shit, it's understandable that he'd assume these discussions were of a negative/judgmental nature. (When I say that I don't mean he gets shit, I mean that that belief in general gets a lot of judgement from people). It doesn't surprise me that he got fired up. I did crack up that Alex R. sort of tried to hide like a "oh shit, now you've done it" moment.
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

PostSubject: Re: Visions-Magazine   Visions-Magazine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 6:16 am

saltandburn1967 wrote:

Just speaking for me I didn't find anything that Brian said offensive. These are his beliefs and personally I anyhow think that religion is not something you can discuss resp. convince somebody of your views. What I found annoying is that Visions had to heat up that dinosaur discussion AGAIN. Without having been there or knowing Brian personally I can imagine that he got angry with that turn of the interview and then just kept arguing for a while.

The sad thing is that it seems that Visions really likes them but still for the sake of selling more magazines they decided to bring that topic up again. There was absolutely no need for that. Not very cool.

But we should also not forget that the whole dinosaur/fascism discussion was only a very minor part of the interview. An unneccessary one but still ... Also we're here backtranslating a German text that was translated from English into German. There might be some little misinterpretations because of that as well.

Last edited by enola on Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: Visions-Magazine   Visions-Magazine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 1:30 pm

[quote="IrishNameAndAnInjury"]
saltandburn1967 wrote:

I'm holding my breath too. I never used to worry about people blowing up around here, but after the last couple of interviews, it seems inevitable, doesn't it? Kind of sad, really. Sad

And yes, thanks so much Thomas for translating! That was really nice of you! Smile[/quot
e]
I was in on the previous argumenta where it blew up a bit but I wouldn't worry. I certainly have no issues with this. Unlike the interviews where fans took offense at brains comments on meeting certain types of fans this is Brian defending himself and his beliefs. Its admirable and I like him being outspoken and passionate. While I may think different I respect anyone else's beliefs and I'm with Brian on this
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Visions-Magazine   Visions-Magazine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 1:37 pm

bringiton_ty wrote:
saltandburn1967 wrote:

And yes, thanks so much Thomas for translating! That was really nice of you! Smile

I was in on the previous argumenta where it blew up a bit but I wouldn't worry. I certainly have no issues with this. Unlike the interviews where fans took offense at brains comments on meeting certain types of fans this is Brian defending himself and his beliefs. Its admirable and I like him being outspoken and passionate. While I may think different I respect anyone else's beliefs and I'm with Brian on this

Well said, Ty. I really am relieved that this hasn't turned into some huge fight between forum members, and I agree with what you said. I am a Christian and share a lot of the same beliefs as Brian, but even if I didn't, I would still fully support his (and anyone else's) right to believe whatever they want. It's a personal choice and no one should be attacked for what they believe or don't believe in.
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: Visions-Magazine   Visions-Magazine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 1:42 pm

Thanx shannon and agree with you too
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Visions-Magazine   Visions-Magazine - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Visions-Magazine
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next