DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What are TGA lyrics about?

Go down 
+3
gtalbott
jdc
songs like a comfort
7 posters
AuthorMessage
songs like a comfort
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
songs like a comfort

What are TGA lyrics about? Empty
PostSubject: What are TGA lyrics about?   What are TGA lyrics about? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 12:46 pm

Hi,
I've got a little question.
Story:
My mother heard some TGA music in my car, asked what it is and pleased me to create her a cd with some of the songs. So I did
and gave her a cd with the tracks they played in Bremen @01.06.12, where I was. No problem.
But now she heard it some times, likes it (I really wonder a bit because she likes robbie williams and things like that) and now she asked me what they are singing about in general.
She can't speak english.
Now I thought about the answer and I really don't know, how to make it in 3 or 4 lines to describe them in general...
It's really funny, I hear them every day and I know what they are singing about, but I can't aktually put it in words and explain it to my mother... Is it about the death or about a love that is gone or what is it?
Can someone who is a little skilful with words try that for me?
Thanks for helping and I hope you forgive my mistakes I made here in this text, got only "school-english"...
scratch
Back to top Go down
jdc
A Contender
A Contender
jdc

PostSubject: Re: What are TGA lyrics about?   What are TGA lyrics about? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 12:52 pm

I'll take a shot in my corniest of English:

The Gaslight Anthem lyrics are about living your life - about working hard to get what you want, the joy you feel when you accomplish something and share it with that special someone, and the disappointment you feel when you don't get everything you want. They're about freedom - whether literally about the open road, or just metaphorically about having great things ahead, but they're also about realism - struggle and dreams that don't always come true, and that you can't always control. They're about music and rhythm and feeling - feeling something, feeling anything.

If that doesn't work, say they're about New Jersey and old cars. Very Happy

(Also, this thread should probably be moved to another section of the forum.)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What are TGA lyrics about?   What are TGA lyrics about? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 1:22 pm

I've always seen Gaslight as being about down-on-their-luck boxers, trodden-down everymen, cigarettes, musclecars, and hopeless Casanovas.
Back to top Go down
gtalbott
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
gtalbott

PostSubject: Re: What are TGA lyrics about?   What are TGA lyrics about? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 1:31 pm

jdc wrote:
The Gaslight Anthem lyrics are about living your life - about working hard to get what you want, the joy you feel when you accomplish something and share it with that special someone, and the disappointment you feel when you don't get everything you want. They're about freedom - whether literally about the open road, or just metaphorically about having great things ahead, but they're also about realism - struggle and dreams that don't always come true, and that you can't always control. They're about music and rhythm and feeling - feeling something, feeling anything.

This. Little cheesy, but this.
Back to top Go down
redheadchick
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: What are TGA lyrics about?   What are TGA lyrics about? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 2:08 pm

Gtalbott, was that picture taken at the fineline show?
Back to top Go down
jdc
A Contender
A Contender
jdc

PostSubject: Re: What are TGA lyrics about?   What are TGA lyrics about? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 2:23 pm

gtalbott wrote:
jdc wrote:

This. Little cheesy, but this.

I said my corniest, dammit! I can't get any cheesier than that.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: What are TGA lyrics about?   What are TGA lyrics about? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 4:56 pm

songs like a comfort wrote:
Hi,
I've got a little question.
Story:
My mother heard some TGA music in my car, asked what it is and pleased me to create her a cd with some of the songs. So I did
and gave her a cd with the tracks they played in Bremen @01.06.12, where I was. No problem.
But now she heard it some times, likes it (I really wonder a bit because she likes robbie williams and things like that) and now she asked me what they are singing about in general.
She can't speak english.
Now I thought about the answer and I really don't know, how to make it in 3 or 4 lines to describe them in general...
It's really funny, I hear them every day and I know what they are singing about, but I can't aktually put it in words and explain it to my mother... Is it about the death or about a love that is gone or what is it?
Can someone who is a little skilful with words try that for me?
Thanks for helping and I hope you forgive my mistakes I made here in this text, got only "school-english"...
scratch

If your mum would like to read German translations of the lyrics (proper ones, not machine translated ones) go to:

http://www.songtexte.com/artist/the-gaslight-anthem-2bd644fa.html

When you select a song, you dirst get the Emglish lyrics and then need to click on "deutsche Übersetzung".
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
sonsofregret
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: What are TGA lyrics about?   What are TGA lyrics about? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 6:28 pm

Maria. And some Virginia.
Back to top Go down
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
A_Regular

PostSubject: Re: What are TGA lyrics about?   What are TGA lyrics about? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 6:30 pm

sonsofregret wrote:
Maria. And some Virginia.

blood, night
Back to top Go down
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
A_Regular

PostSubject: Re: What are TGA lyrics about?   What are TGA lyrics about? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 6:31 pm

And everyone he has pulled a "tarantino borrow" from
Back to top Go down
gtalbott
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
gtalbott

PostSubject: Re: What are TGA lyrics about?   What are TGA lyrics about? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 6:33 pm

redheadchick wrote:
Gtalbott, was that picture taken at the fineline show?

Yep, Fineline, then caught them again in St. Louis!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are TGA lyrics about?   What are TGA lyrics about? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What are TGA lyrics about?
Page 1 of 1