DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why are the guys so negative about American Slang?

Go down 
+17
Afzoomie67
dustinpardue
Casey
JJW319
eagles1139
Jeff
holdsteady82
simo
acousticbandit
Try Me
CapedAvenger
TGAforLIFE
NeverTrustAJunkie
Harbortown
Debonair
IrishNameAndAnInjury
StitchesOnTheRadio
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

Why are the guys so negative about American Slang? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why are the guys so negative about American Slang?   Why are the guys so negative about American Slang? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 1:54 am

From what I've heard from other people around here, they haven't played Bring It On in a long time either. That's my favorite song, so I'd really like to see them start playing it again.
Back to top Go down
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

PostSubject: Re: Why are the guys so negative about American Slang?   Why are the guys so negative about American Slang? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 1:57 am

eagles1139 wrote:
NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
I would LOVE for them to play Orphans more. Love that song's lyrics.

THIS. It's one of the least likely songs from AS to be played and yet I think it's the hands down best on that album. I think part of the reason some people forget about American Slang's greatness is that the album ends up being represented by the songs that they play live consistently (which recently have only really been the title song and Queen of Lower Chelsea) when the best songs like Orphans and Stay Lucky don't get played.

They opened with Orphans for a short string of shows. But agreed actually, they don't play a ton of American Slang. They play Diamond, which sounds better live with age. Spirit got some rotation as well as the slowed version of Boxer. I think Spirit would sound fantastic played in that vein - I been working on a slower cover of it too.
Back to top Go down
TGAforLIFE
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
TGAforLIFE

PostSubject: Re: Why are the guys so negative about American Slang?   Why are the guys so negative about American Slang? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 2:30 am

JJW319 wrote:
eagles1139 wrote:
NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
I would LOVE for them to play Orphans more. Love that song's lyrics.

THIS. It's one of the least likely songs from AS to be played and yet I think it's the hands down best on that album. I think part of the reason some people forget about American Slang's greatness is that the album ends up being represented by the songs that they play live consistently (which recently have only really been the title song and Queen of Lower Chelsea) when the best songs like Orphans and Stay Lucky don't get played.

They opened with Orphans for a short string of shows. But agreed actually, they don't play a ton of American Slang. They play Diamond, which sounds better live with age. Spirit got some rotation as well as the slowed version of Boxer. I think Spirit would sound fantastic played in that vein - I been working on a slower cover of it too.

That's cool you're working on a slower cover of it. I'll be interested to hear that. But, I agree, they only seem to play a few songs live off there. The title track along with, yes, Chelsea and Diamond Church... Would love to see them play Boxer more as well as Spirit of Jazz. Those are great songs, along with Bring it On. It will be interesting to see what happens with this album after they add Handwritten to their arsenal.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Why are the guys so negative about American Slang?   Why are the guys so negative about American Slang? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 2:35 am

It's interesting what people are saying on here about AS being weaker and not Brian's best work and stuff like that as if it's obvious. Personally, I disagree 100%. I think every album has been better than the last (i'm including Elsie). I can understand why people would feel 59 sound is better because I think it depends on why you listen to them and what is important to you in music. I also think there's a greater jump in quality from SoS to T59S than there is from 59 to AS. So if they "fell short" it's because instead of taking a huge step forward, it was a smaller step.

Personally, I like AS better because the songs stand out to me more. I know what song I'm listening too at all times. Whereas with SoS or T59S there are a handful of tracks on each that I know and like/love but couldn't for the life of me tell you what the title of the song is (without two or three guesses). I don't know why, they just blur together a bit more. I thought every song on AS was distinct and I thought there was a unity to the album as well.

I can understand people saying T59S is better (even if I don't agree) but AS is absolutely a great album and if (at this point) I could only listen to one gaslight album for the rest of my life I'd chose it in a heartbeat.
Back to top Go down
Try Me
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Try Me

PostSubject: Re: Why are the guys so negative about American Slang?   Why are the guys so negative about American Slang? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 2:39 am

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
It's interesting what people are saying on here about AS being weaker and not Brian's best work and stuff like that as if it's obvious. Personally, I disagree 100%. I think every album has been better than the last (i'm including Elsie). I can understand why people would feel 59 sound is better because I think it depends on why you listen to them and what is important to you in music. I also think there's a greater jump in quality from SoS to T59S than there is from 59 to AS. So if they "fell short" it's because instead of taking a huge step forward, it was a smaller step.

Personally, I like AS better because the songs stand out to me more. I know what song I'm listening too at all times. Whereas with SoS or T59S there are a handful of tracks on each that I know and like/love but couldn't for the life of me tell you what the title of the song is (without two or three guesses). I don't know why, they just blur together a bit more. I thought every song on AS was distinct and I thought there was a unity to the album as well.

I can understand people saying T59S is better (even if I don't agree) but AS is absolutely a great album and if (at this point) I could only listen to one gaslight album for the rest of my life I'd chose it in a heartbeat.

Different strokes....As long as you like it, that's really all that matters right ? You almost sound offended here...haha
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Why are the guys so negative about American Slang?   Why are the guys so negative about American Slang? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 2:41 am

Crosby Stan wrote:

Different strokes....As long as you like it, that's really all that matters right ? You almost sound offended here...haha

Sorry! Not offended. Didn't mean to come off that way. I just get defensive of stuff when I read other peoples opinions and I take it as they're saying it like it's fact even though I'm sure everyone (myself included) acknowledges that everyone has different opinions and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm just so used to people saying stuff that I know is great (Like Gaslight in general) sucks, so I get defensive.
Back to top Go down
Casey
A Contender
A Contender
Casey

PostSubject: Re: Why are the guys so negative about American Slang?   Why are the guys so negative about American Slang? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 2:50 am

Didn't Brian have writer's block before? Razz
I don't think these sentiments reflect the quality of the album tbh, just that they believe the recording process could have gone better. Rise Against said they thought Siren Songs was too rushed, and I thought that was one of their better albums. American Slang sounds like a great transition album from The 59' Sound to Handwritten, from what we've heard so far. Fits into the band's catalog nicely and has some incredible tracks. Bit off topic but wasn't WDIWWWY the first time Brian recorded his voice twice in a track? That proved to be pretty influential in his music with THC.
Back to top Go down
Try Me
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Try Me

PostSubject: Re: Why are the guys so negative about American Slang?   Why are the guys so negative about American Slang? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 3:00 am

Crosby Stan wrote:

Sorry! Not offended. Didn't mean to come off that way. I just get defensive of stuff when I read other peoples opinions and I take it as they're saying it like it's fact even though I'm sure everyone (myself included) acknowledges that everyone has different opinions and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm just so used to people saying stuff that I know is great (Like Gaslight in general) sucks, so I get defensive.

Nah, I know what you mean. No matter how great something is, there's always going to be people who have strong opinions against it. Whether it's "going against the grain", or genuine, it's going to happen. At the end of the day, most of these people with strong opinions don't REALLY know what they're talking about anyways. If something doesn't appeal to their own taste they will shit on the entire project.
Whether something is good or not is subjective. Take everyones opinion with a grain of salt, & embrace the level headed positive ones.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Why are the guys so negative about American Slang?   Why are the guys so negative about American Slang? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 1:05 pm

Crosby Stan wrote:
Crosby Stan wrote:

Nah, I know what you mean. No matter how great something is, there's always going to be people who have strong opinions against it. Whether it's "going against the grain", or genuine, it's going to happen. At the end of the day, most of these people with strong opinions don't REALLY know what they're talking about anyways. If something doesn't appeal to their own taste they will shit on the entire project.
Whether something is good or not is subjective. Take everyones opinion with a grain of salt, & embrace the level headed positive ones.

You are very right. I try to remember that sometimes even if something isn't prefaced with "In my opinion" that doesn't mean they don't acknowledge that it is their opinion.
Back to top Go down
dustinpardue
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Why are the guys so negative about American Slang?   Why are the guys so negative about American Slang? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 3:28 pm

Bring back "boxer" !
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Why are the guys so negative about American Slang?   Why are the guys so negative about American Slang? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 3:31 pm

I LOVE BOXER.

High Five
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Why are the guys so negative about American Slang?   Why are the guys so negative about American Slang? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 5:07 pm

Boxer and Bring it On NEED to get back in the setlist.
Back to top Go down
Afzoomie67
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Afzoomie67

PostSubject: Re: Why are the guys so negative about American Slang?   Why are the guys so negative about American Slang? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 5:48 pm

Boxer and Bring it On NEED to get back in the setlist.

I love the emotion Brian sings "Bring It On" with. It's just pure epicness.
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

PostSubject: Re: Why are the guys so negative about American Slang?   Why are the guys so negative about American Slang? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 8:50 am

A lot of bands I like tend to be dismissive of older stuff when they are about to release a new album.

I can only imagine the slowburn of Handwritten being completed then released months later is hard for Brian Fallon to take!
Back to top Go down
TheContender
A Contender
A Contender
TheContender

PostSubject: Re: Why are the guys so negative about American Slang?   Why are the guys so negative about American Slang? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 6:14 pm

It's my least favorite of theirs so far, but it's still good.
Back to top Go down
Try Me
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Try Me

PostSubject: Re: Why are the guys so negative about American Slang?   Why are the guys so negative about American Slang? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 12:47 am

This thread makes me realize how overrated SOS is.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Why are the guys so negative about American Slang?   Why are the guys so negative about American Slang? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 12:51 am

Crosby Stan wrote:

I agree with this. As much as I love SoS, it's my least favorite. It's a killer first album for any band though.

Edit: Maybe not overrated but the other albums are underrated in relation to it. SoS is as great as everyone says, I just think the others are better.

Last edited by StitchesOnTheRadio on Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Why are the guys so negative about American Slang?   Why are the guys so negative about American Slang? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 12:52 am

Crosby Stan wrote:
Evil or Very Mad this is why we need a stab emoticon
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: Why are the guys so negative about American Slang?   Why are the guys so negative about American Slang? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 12:55 am

steph wrote:
Crosby Stan wrote:

Why are the guys so negative about American Slang? - Page 2 Th_Stab_emoticon___Hp329
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Why are the guys so negative about American Slang?   Why are the guys so negative about American Slang? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 12:56 am

Debonair wrote:
steph wrote:
Crosby Stan wrote:

Why are the guys so negative about American Slang? - Page 2 Th_Stab_emoticon___Hp329
Twisted Evil Deb, you're the funnest admin
Back to top Go down
Try Me
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Try Me

PostSubject: Re: Why are the guys so negative about American Slang?   Why are the guys so negative about American Slang? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 12:56 am

steph wrote:
Crosby Stan wrote:

They've gotten better every album. Deal with it Stephalicious.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

Debonair wrote:
steph wrote:
Crosby Stan wrote:

How'd you make that? That's awesome! haha.
Back to top Go down
Try Me
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Try Me

PostSubject: Re: Why are the guys so negative about American Slang?   Why are the guys so negative about American Slang? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 12:57 am

Debonair wrote:
steph wrote:
Crosby Stan wrote:

Hahahaha
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Why are the guys so negative about American Slang?   Why are the guys so negative about American Slang? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 12:59 am

Crosby Stan wrote:
steph wrote:
Crosby Stan wrote:

listen, Chief...you better cool it!!!!
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Why are the guys so negative about American Slang?   Why are the guys so negative about American Slang? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 1:00 am

Crosby Stan wrote:
steph wrote:
Crosby Stan wrote:

High Five
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why are the guys so negative about American Slang?   Why are the guys so negative about American Slang? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why are the guys so negative about American Slang?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next