DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?

Go down 
+14
Grant Michael
moosicmaniac
drifter69
Try Me
White Man In Hammersmith
bringiton_ty
steady now steady now
Emusic
brianisbae
IrishNameAndAnInjury
Christophe
Hanswurst
Prisoner
Casey
18 posters
AuthorMessage
Casey
A Contender
A Contender
Casey

Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?  Empty
PostSubject: Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?    Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 1:19 am

John Frusciante is probably my favourite guitarist, really bummed he left the RHCP again but stoked for his new album! I've only been playing guitar for a year or so (on and off), but his songs are so much fun to play and sound incredible. Hard to describe his talent, but he writes really poetic riffs and solos. I think the most brilliant RHCP work was when him and Flea would make their instruments have glorious sex, the music flowed that well.

HM to Cobain (yeah his songs are easy as hell, but they sound good and have easy learning curves making it more accessible for people to learn guitar), Rosamilia, and obviously the classics like Page, Hendrix, Clapton, etc.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?    Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 8:40 am

At first Alex Rosamilia. I love his stuff, from Sink or Swim up to the new album.

My favorite guitarist is Peter Green (thanks to Brian mentioning them in an interview)

Also sixties era Eric Clapton,
Duane Allman, Mick Taylor in the Bluesbreakers and the Stones.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?    Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 9:37 am

Mark Knopfler is probably my favourite guitarist.

I like to watch Bruce Springsteen play guitar - he puts some much into it even if he's not as technically brilliant as the names that usually get bandied around.

Alex R is currently my favourite one to listen to - just 'cause I'm listening to TGA a lot at the moment!
Back to top Go down
Hanswurst
Wooderson
Wooderson
Hanswurst

PostSubject: Re: Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?    Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 10:24 am

so, for me number 1 definitely is John Butler afro don't like his singing that much, but his playing is incredible - on the electric as well as on the acoustic guitar.

Igor Presnyakov as well is a genius master on the acoustic, his covers rule cheers

John Frusciante for sure has done an awesome job with RHCP
and Alex Rosamilia.. i have no words for this man Clap He's a big part of what makes TGA such a great band
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?    Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 11:05 am

Number one has to be Alex Rosamilia. His guitar work is so intricate and it really amazes me how he can be so fast with his fingers (yeah I know that's what she said Rolling Eyes ) He just makes it look so easy as well.

I would say a close second is Andrew Bayliss from Sharks. Similarish style to Alex R with lots of intricate weaving melodies. Especially for someone so young he is great. Check out Able Moving Hearts and Luck for some of his best work Smile
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?    Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 11:37 am

I don't play guitar, but some of my favorite guitarists are Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, and of course Alex R. They're all pretty different from each other, but amazing in their own ways. Smile
Back to top Go down
brianisbae
A Contender
A Contender
brianisbae

PostSubject: Re: Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?    Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 11:41 am

-Alex Rosamilia for sure. I love his style, especially on '59 Sound. I think the guitar work on Handwritten is going to be incredible. His stuff is wicked fun to play along to.
-I also love Synyster Gates from Avenged Sevenfold. I just love how smooth and melodic his solos are, like on Victim and Seize the Day. I'm not really into metal, but he's probably why i love Avemged Sevenfold. I can't really play much of his stuff though...my fingers don't go that fast!
-For acoustic stuff I love Frank Turner. I love how he's able to make a big and full sound with just am acoustic guitar.
-Also, Simon Neil from Biffy Clyro and Johnny Rzeznik from the Goo Goo Dolls. Theyre similar to me because they're complex and do a lot of sweet stuff while singing and stuff.
-Then my favorite frontmen - Bruce Springsteen, Brian Fallon, Kurt Cobain, and Billie Joe Armstrong, though bja could be much better.
Back to top Go down
Emusic
A Contender
A Contender
Emusic

PostSubject: Re: Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?    Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 8:59 am

Eric Clapton
Mark Knopfler
Keith Scott (guitarist for Bryan Adams)
Back to top Go down
http://www.elena-fotografie.be & http://themusicmakesmehappy
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?    Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 5:10 pm

to listen to (as my playing is not good enough):

John Frusciante
Angus Young/Malcolm Young
Ritchie Blackmore
Rory Gallagher
Jimi Hendrix
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?    Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 5:34 pm

really likelistening to Alex Rosamilia, Eric Costello, Bruce Springsteen, Angus Young, guitarist from The Suburban Vamps and the guitarist from Nashville Pussy is awesome!
@NicholasHorror great frontmen selection! though il add joe strummer in Wink Tim Armstrong's a great frontman i must add but not vocal enough at gigs. One of the nicest "famous people" ive met though
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson
White Man In Hammersmith

PostSubject: Re: Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?    Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 4:33 am

Top guitarists -

Mick Jones (The Clash)

My favourite band, on "From Here To Eternity" his improvised guitar work is awesome.

Jake Burns (Stiff Little Fingers)

Incredible songwriting and technical ability.

Warren Fitzgerald (The Vandals)

Watch "sweatin to the oldies" for a live guitar masterclass!

Jeff Buckley

Such a recognisable sound.
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?    Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 12:29 pm

White Man In Hammersmith wrote:
Top guitarists -

Mick Jones (The Clash)

My favourite band, on "From Here To Eternity" his improvised guitar work is awesome.

Jake Burns (Stiff Little Fingers)

Incredible songwriting and technical ability.

Warren Fitzgerald (The Vandals)

Watch "sweatin to the oldies" for a live guitar masterclass!

Jeff Buckley

Such a recognisable sound.

good choices. forgot warren! can tell im in work ityped eric costello!!!?? Clearly elvis haha
Back to top Go down
Emusic
A Contender
A Contender
Emusic

PostSubject: Re: Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?    Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 1:51 pm

I forgot one on my list:

David Gilmour (Pink Floyd), he's really incredible!
Back to top Go down
http://www.elena-fotografie.be & http://themusicmakesmehappy
Try Me
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Try Me

PostSubject: Re: Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?    Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 2:20 pm

Tom Morello
Mark Rizzo
Jimmy Page
Kirk Hammett
Back to top Go down
drifter69
Wooderson
Wooderson
drifter69

PostSubject: Re: Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?    Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 2:28 pm

Mark Knopfler
Jimmy Page
George Harrison
Jimi Hendrix

List could be alot longer!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mafiamusic.proboards99.com
moosicmaniac
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?    Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 5:19 pm

my favorite guitarist hands down would be Trey Anastasio from Phish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JttD4a3xR8o

the serious shit starts at about 55 seconds in
Back to top Go down
Grant Michael
A Contender
A Contender
Grant Michael

PostSubject: Re: Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?    Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 3:35 pm

I don't have particularly strong opinions on who the best/favorite guitarists are, but I do know that this is the single best performance of a song I've ever seen in person.

Back to top Go down
Paddy
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Paddy

PostSubject: Re: Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?    Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 4:55 pm

When I was younger, I played with a metal act, so it was naturally just some Testament, At The Gates, Nile type shit, which was cool, but I got to a point where I didn't so much like technicality in music as much as I do just the overall feel.

Definitely like playing different stuff now. Phish, NOFX, Against Me!, Baroness. All over the board. Love bluesy metal stuff, or just some psych'd out jams, but the aggression in playing punk is fun without having to be as obnoxiously flashy and technical as metal was.

Probably would have to say my favorite guitarists are Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page.

One of my favorite guitar jams,

Back to top Go down
redheadchick
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?    Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 5:16 pm

Ken Bethea from old 97's has a very distinct sound. Also love Nathan Pane from The Gossip.
Back to top Go down
FrankieG
A Contender
A Contender
FrankieG

PostSubject: Re: Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?    Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2013 12:39 am

Mike McCready (Lead guitar) from Pearl Jam definitely needs to be added to this list.
Also Stone Gossard from Pearl Jam plays rythym is also great.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?    Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2013 12:45 am

Nils Lofgren. Listen to his solo stuff, and "because the night" live
Bruce.
Chuck Berry.
Alex of course.
Clapton has taken the top spot lately for me. I have been more into technical playing instead of just solos.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?    Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favourite guitarists (both to listen to and play)?
Page 1 of 1