DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The soon to be worn out 59 Sound?

Go down 
+6
Jerseyrain
acousticbandit
White Man In Hammersmith
plugga
Klown
Christophe
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

The soon to be worn out 59 Sound? Empty
PostSubject: The soon to be worn out 59 Sound?   The soon to be worn out 59 Sound? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 9:53 am

Admin: split from London 11 June 2012 thread

----

markbarlow wrote:
Quote :
http://www.clashmusic.com/live-review/the-gaslight-anthem-live-at-koko-london

The soon to be worn out 59 Sound
Rolling Eyes

I know I didn't like that quote. The '59 Sound will always be in their sets I believe as it is the ultimate Gaslight 'anthem'. It's such a great song it's not gonna get worn out as it sounds so good live especially with the crowd clapping along with the 'young boys, young girls' bridge. Personally I would be disappointed if I went to a Gaslight gig and they didn't play The '59 Sound.
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

PostSubject: Re: The soon to be worn out 59 Sound?   The soon to be worn out 59 Sound? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 9:54 am

I can see them dropping it eventually...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: The soon to be worn out 59 Sound?   The soon to be worn out 59 Sound? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 10:00 am

I hope not. They do have so many great songs though so it must be hard to fit all of them in sometimes. Monday was pretty much a perfect set list for me though Smile I wonder when they tour for Handwritten if they will drop a few '59 Sound songs to fit in new material.
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

PostSubject: Re: The soon to be worn out 59 Sound?   The soon to be worn out 59 Sound? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 10:01 am

I can see their set time getting longer for the Handwritten tour to be honest. As for dropping 59 Sound, I can see them taking the PJ approach to setlists in a few albums time and changing their set up every night in a bigger way.
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: The soon to be worn out 59 Sound?   The soon to be worn out 59 Sound? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 10:04 am

Yeah maybe. That's what is great about Gaslight they seem to change the setlist for pretty much every show. It stops them being predictable and I guess keeps them from getting bored of playing exactly the same set every night of a tour. I can think of a few bands who do just that and it really takes away the pleasure of the show when you know exactly what the set list will be before you get there.
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

PostSubject: Re: The soon to be worn out 59 Sound?   The soon to be worn out 59 Sound? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 10:05 am

I need 1930 in the new setlists!!!
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: The soon to be worn out 59 Sound?   The soon to be worn out 59 Sound? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 10:06 am

plugga wrote:
I need 1930 in the new setlists!!!

Agreed we definitely need 1930 back Smile
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: The soon to be worn out 59 Sound?   The soon to be worn out 59 Sound? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 10:06 am

I would also love to see them play We're Getting A Divorce... again but I can't see that happening Sad
Back to top Go down
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson
White Man In Hammersmith

PostSubject: Re: The soon to be worn out 59 Sound?   The soon to be worn out 59 Sound? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 10:11 am

1930 was the only song they didn't play that I really wanted to hear, apart from that the set list was perfect Very Happy As for dropping '59 Sound, I just can't see it. Not for a good few years anyway!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

PostSubject: Re: The soon to be worn out 59 Sound?   The soon to be worn out 59 Sound? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

I just did a quick count there, outside of covers and whatnot, I've only got 8 studio tracks to still hear live Smile So I vote for them to be included on this upcoming tour.
Back to top Go down
acousticbandit
Wooderson
Wooderson
acousticbandit

PostSubject: Re: The soon to be worn out 59 Sound?   The soon to be worn out 59 Sound? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 10:22 am

for me i don't think anything can touch the setlist of convention hall. i don't really see them playing our father's sons too often so i'm glad i got to see that.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-gaslight-anthem/2011/convention-hall-asbury-park-nj-bd121ba.html
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

PostSubject: Re: The soon to be worn out 59 Sound?   The soon to be worn out 59 Sound? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 10:23 am

That was, and will always be a great setlist!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The soon to be worn out 59 Sound?   The soon to be worn out 59 Sound? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 12:00 pm

I could see them potentially dropping it, though I hope they don't.

But I can't ever see it being "worn out". If it was dropped I guess it would be because the band got fed up of playing it.

For me, even though its not my favourite Gaslight song, it'll always be the anthem, the one song that gets everyone's arms in the air.

Klown wrote:
I just did a quick count there, outside of covers and whatnot, I've only got 8 studio tracks to still hear live Smile So I vote for them to be included on this upcoming tour.

I'm going to have to work out which ones I've still got left to see. Is there a decent setlist site anywhere?
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

PostSubject: Re: The soon to be worn out 59 Sound?   The soon to be worn out 59 Sound? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 12:26 pm

markbarlow wrote:

Klown wrote:

I'm going to have to work out which ones I've still got left to see. Is there a decent setlist site anywhere?

Setlist.fm Smile
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: The soon to be worn out 59 Sound?   The soon to be worn out 59 Sound? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 1:46 pm

Klown wrote:

Further down the line they probably will drop it for the odd show. Bruce Springsteen doesn't always play Thunder Road or Born In The USA to name a couple but they still get played fairly regularly,

I must say though I thought there were a couple of comments in that review which were just silly and clearly not spoken by somebody who is that interested
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: The soon to be worn out 59 Sound?   The soon to be worn out 59 Sound? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 1:50 pm

I hope their sets get longer, it depends on their capacity to still remember how to play the old songs as well as time goes on and more and more material is released. I think we'll see them drop a couple of 59 Sound songs, a couple of SoS songs and I think they should drop She Loves You as its only a b-side. I think we'll get a good 8 new songs at each show. They haven't been going overboard with American Slang songs anyway have they so we'll still get about 4 per night Id guess
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The soon to be worn out 59 Sound?   The soon to be worn out 59 Sound? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 1:56 pm

Jerseyrain wrote:
Klown wrote:

Further down the line they probably will drop it for the odd show. Bruce Springsteen doesn't always play Thunder Road or Born In The USA to name a couple but they still get played fairly regularly,

I must say though I thought there were a couple of comments in that review which were just silly and clearly not spoken by somebody who is that interested
I thought of Bruce too but he still plays Born to Run at EVERY E Street Band show (bar the odd special event such as the recent Apollo Theatre show). Is '59 Sound the Gaslight equivalent?

If they did tire of playing it every night, rather than dropping it completely for an entire tour, I'd be reasonably happy if they decided to rotate a few of their classics - each night play 2 out of American Slang, '59 Sound, Backseat, Great Expectations for example. At least that way if we catch more than one show we'll still see our old favourites!

We're probably reading too much into a review by some dude who must have been half asleep through the gig - he even thought Brian jumped from a speaker rather than the balcony!
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: The soon to be worn out 59 Sound?   The soon to be worn out 59 Sound? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 10:35 pm

59 sound is their 'Born To Run". I see them playing it all most of the Band shows forever more-even in 2040
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: The soon to be worn out 59 Sound?   The soon to be worn out 59 Sound? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 12:05 pm

I agree, at the end of the day it's only 3 minutes long. It's not exactly Jungleland.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: The soon to be worn out 59 Sound?   The soon to be worn out 59 Sound? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 12:55 pm

markbarlow wrote:
Jerseyrain wrote:
Klown wrote:

I thought of Bruce too but he still plays Born to Run at EVERY E Street Band show (bar the odd special event such as the recent Apollo Theatre show). Is '59 Sound the Gaslight equivalent?

If they did tire of playing it every night, rather than dropping it completely for an entire tour, I'd be reasonably happy if they decided to rotate a few of their classics - each night play 2 out of American Slang, '59 Sound, Backseat, Great Expectations for example. At least that way if we catch more than one show we'll still see our old favourites!

We're probably reading too much into a review by some dude who must have been half asleep through the gig - he even thought Brian jumped from a speaker rather than the balcony!

The guy writing it was obviously a little bit dense and doesn't know what he's talking about. He may be expressing his own opinion rather than speaking for the fans.

I would say Great Expectations is the Gaslight equivalent of Born To Run but you're right Bruce does play that at every show. Judging by how much Brian rates Great Expectations I think they'll always play that one.
Back to top Go down
bringiton
Wooderson
Wooderson
bringiton

PostSubject: Re: The soon to be worn out 59 Sound?   The soon to be worn out 59 Sound? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 1:41 pm

I can't see it. Maybe one day, but not anytime soon. I wouldn't mind though, but that's more because they have so many great songs to replace it with. Win win situation.
Back to top Go down
CasanovaBaby90
A Contender
A Contender
CasanovaBaby90

PostSubject: Re: The soon to be worn out 59 Sound?   The soon to be worn out 59 Sound? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 11:25 pm

Can't see them dropping 59S for a long time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The soon to be worn out 59 Sound?   The soon to be worn out 59 Sound? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The soon to be worn out 59 Sound?
Page 1 of 1