DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Beliefnet.com Interview with Brian

Go down 
+3
Jerseyrain
Christophe
IrishNameAndAnInjury
7 posters
AuthorMessage
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

Beliefnet.com Interview with Brian Empty
PostSubject: Beliefnet.com Interview with Brian   Beliefnet.com Interview with Brian Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 10:41 am

http://www.beliefnet.com/Entertainment/Music/Brian-Fallon-Speaks-in-Anthems.aspx?p=1

This is an old interview from when Elsie came out, but I don't remember seeing it on here. It's an interesting read, with Brian talking about his faith and how it affects his life.
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: Beliefnet.com Interview with Brian   Beliefnet.com Interview with Brian Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 10:53 am

Thanks for that Shannon that was a really interesting read Smile
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Beliefnet.com Interview with Brian   Beliefnet.com Interview with Brian Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 10:58 am

Christophe wrote:

You're welcome! Smile

I thought it was interesting too. I'm Christian and have the same beliefs as Brian (at least from what I have heard of his beliefs), but I figured that even if people have a different religious background than him, they might still like to see how he explains where he's coming from.
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: Beliefnet.com Interview with Brian   Beliefnet.com Interview with Brian Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 11:09 am

IrishNameAndAnInjury wrote:
Christophe wrote:

You're welcome! Smile

I thought it was interesting too. I'm Christian and have the same beliefs as Brian (at least from what I have heard of his beliefs), but I figured that even if people have a different religious background than him, they might still like to see how he explains where he's coming from.

Yeah I think it is great that he has such strong beliefs but still manages to keep them separate from his writing especially with Gaslight. I think a lot of Christian Rock is a bit same-y and I'm glad Gaslight aren't that type of band. I think The Horrible Crowes is the perfect platform to explore more religious themes for Brian but again it isn't always overt. That's why he's such a great songwriter he uses metaphors so well. It's interesting to hear that he wrote I Believe Jesus Brought Us Together during the Japanese earthquake. I was seriously worried at the time about the band's safety and that song will have even more meaning now when I listen to it. Smile
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: Beliefnet.com Interview with Brian   Beliefnet.com Interview with Brian Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 11:19 am

I hadnt sen it, its an interesting read. I knew he was religious but I didnt know he was SO into it as in carrying a bible around in his spare time. Thats fair enough though. thanks for posting
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Beliefnet.com Interview with Brian   Beliefnet.com Interview with Brian Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 11:20 am

Christophe wrote:
IrishNameAndAnInjury wrote:
Christophe wrote:

You're welcome! Smile

Yeah I think it is great that he has such strong beliefs but still manages to keep them separate from his writing especially with Gaslight. I think a lot of Christian Rock is a bit same-y and I'm glad Gaslight aren't that type of band. I think The Horrible Crowes is the perfect platform to explore more religious themes for Brian but again it isn't always overt. That's why he's such a great songwriter he uses metaphors so well. It's interesting to hear that he wrote I Believe Jesus Brought Us Together during the Japanese earthquake. I was seriously worried at the time about the band's safety and that song will have even more meaning now when I listen to it. Smile

I agree with you 100%. I always thought Elsie had more of a religious element to it than any of Gaslight's stuff, but it's definitely not overt. I don't listen to Christan rock at all, but I love the way Brian brings in bits and pieces of faith into his songwriting. And I didn't know about how I Believe Jesus Brought Us Together was written either. It really does seem even more special now.
Back to top Go down
Mary Ann
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Mary Ann

PostSubject: Re: Beliefnet.com Interview with Brian   Beliefnet.com Interview with Brian Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 4:25 am

Amen, and thanks for posting this, INAAI. I had actually read this article previously, but that was some time ago.

Quote :
I knew he was religious but I didnt know he was SO into it as in carrying a bible around in his spare time.

But one doesn't necessarily have to be religious to be a reader of the bible; it can be read and studied just like Shakespeare's plays or Greek Mythology. Knowledge of the bible was at one time considered a basic literacy skill in U.S. education, and fundamental to an understanding of Western history -- whether Christian, Jew, or otherwise. Even today there are a few public school districts left who still offer "Bible as Literature," but only as an elective.

Plus there are many allusions to the people, places, and events of the bible in literature, movies, plays, speeches, poems, and songs, that cannot be as fully or deeply comprehended if one doesn't know the context of the original reference. Take, for example, the phrase, "washed my hands" which we commonly use to mean, "I'm done with this situation," or, "I did all I could do, but it's not my fault."

But if it is understood that Pontius Pilate's wife had a dream and forewarned him not to crucify Jesus -- that he was, indeed the Messiah -- then the gravity of his decision becomes evident and we understand that we can never merely "wash our hands," to absolve ourselves of responsibility, there will be repercussions, regardless.

In this context, then, the meaning becomes: "I wash my hands of the whole situation even though I know there will be dire consequences."
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Beliefnet.com Interview with Brian   Beliefnet.com Interview with Brian Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 8:55 am

Mary Ann wrote:
Amen, and thanks for posting this, INAAI. I had actually read this article previously, but that was some time ago.

You're welcome, Mary Ann! Smile Yeah, it's an old article, but I didn't remember seeing it before, so I figured some other people hadn't either.

Mary Ann wrote:
Quote :
I knew he was religious but I didnt know he was SO into it as in carrying a bible around in his spare time.

But one doesn't necessarily have to be religious to be a reader of the bible; it can be read and studied just like Shakespeare's plays or Greek Mythology. Knowledge of the bible was at one time considered a basic literacy skill in U.S. education, and fundamental to an understanding of Western history -- whether Christian, Jew, or otherwise. Even today there are a few public school districts left who still offer "Bible as Literature," but only as an elective.

Plus there are many allusions to the people, places, and events of the bible in literature, movies, plays, speeches, poems, and songs, that cannot be as fully or deeply comprehended if one doesn't know the context of the original reference. Take, for example, the phrase, "washed my hands" which we commonly use to mean, "I'm done with this situation," or, "I did all I could do, but it's not my fault."

But if it is understood that Pontius Pilate's wife had a dream and forewarned him not to crucify Jesus -- that he was, indeed the Messiah -- then the gravity of his decision becomes evident and we understand that we can never merely "wash our hands," to absolve ourselves of responsibility, there will be repercussions, regardless.

In this context, then, the meaning becomes: "I wash my hands of the whole situation even though I know there will be dire consequences."

You make some very interesting points. In a world where we are conditioned to be politically correct all the time and all religious teachings have been taken out of most schools, I think a lot of people tend to forget how important knowledge of the Bible can be, and how it can pertain to life in general, not just on the religious side of things.

I really liked the way Brian talked about how faith plays such a big part in his life, but he still doesn't shove it down people's throats. I think he gets that he is in the position where he can share his beliefs when the opportunity arises, but he also knows it's not his place to force religion on anybody either. It's nice to see how level-headed and respectful he is. Smile
Back to top Go down
Mary Ann
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Mary Ann

PostSubject: Re: Beliefnet.com Interview with Brian   Beliefnet.com Interview with Brian Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 11:55 am

I agree, Shannon, (<<<just noticed your for-real name and thus your forum moniker takes on a deeper meaning --and actually, the same applies to myself, lol -- "an Irish name and an injury", indeed, LOL).

But IMHO, U.S. public education has catered to the qualms of special-interest groups so much that we have a whole generation of youth who are woefully ignorant of the classics and their place in human history. Sigh... Crying or Very sad

Regarding Brian's beliefs about separation of his church and his music, I think not only is it the most level-headed, reasonable stance for him to take, but ultimately, he probably has more of an impact by not explicitly "advertising".
Afterall, humans are apt to be more curious about that which remains a mystery. "Attraction rather than promotion," as they say... I love you
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Beliefnet.com Interview with Brian   Beliefnet.com Interview with Brian Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 2:38 pm

We're on the same wave-length, Mary Ann! As a teacher/nanny, I have seen first hand how much the schools have changed in the past 20 years or so since I was in elementary school. Back in the 80s/90s, people cared less about offending people by saying the Pledge of Allegiance, teaching about religions, and celebrating holidays, and more about students getting a well-rounded education. Hmm...maybe some things didn't need to be changed after all! That's why I opted to teach preschool and then homeschool as opposed to work in the public school system. I'm not politically correct enough for that! Rolling Eyes Razz

And I think you're totally right about Brian having more of an impact by not advertising his beliefs in every single song and interview. He just lives his life the way he thinks he should and seems like a genuinely nice, caring person. Why can't everybody be like that? Sigh...
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

PostSubject: Re: Beliefnet.com Interview with Brian   Beliefnet.com Interview with Brian Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 2:49 pm

while I totally respect everyone's beliefs and religion I don't think it should be taught at school..
Italy has an hour a week of "religion" at school and while it was actually very useful and interesting in middle school (we learned so many things about muslims and christians, things I liked even if I am not into religion at all, I think it helped not believing those stupid prejudices people have) it was just a complete waste of time in high school, mainly because the priest who was supposed to be our teacher was a complete idiot and refused to have any kind of debate. I can't remember how many times I actually wanted to jump at his throat Mad

it's cool though that it's such an important thing in brian's life and I like that he is reserved about it!

Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Beliefnet.com Interview with Brian   Beliefnet.com Interview with Brian Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 3:49 pm

Before Horrible Crowes was put together, I swore I read somewhere that he was a spiritual person but not religious (wish I could remember where I got that impression), so for him to directly mention Jesus on Elsie was surprising to me.

Quote :
But one doesn't necessarily have to be religious to be a reader of the bible
Funny, I was just discussing this the other day. I was like "Do people read the Bible like it's any other book, not necessarily for daily guidance?" I guess the answer is yes.

I also like that Brian is respectful of everyone and doesn't shove his religious beliefs down everyone's throat. It'd be nice if some politicians felt that way.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Beliefnet.com Interview with Brian   Beliefnet.com Interview with Brian Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 9:22 pm

plugga wrote:
while I totally respect everyone's beliefs and religion I don't think it should be taught at school..

could not agree more. i have no problem with people who are religious, so long as they aren't trying to shove it down everyone's throats. it should be something personal, not something that is "taught" in a public school.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Beliefnet.com Interview with Brian   Beliefnet.com Interview with Brian Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 9:29 pm

But if we don't know everyone's religious beliefs, how will we judge them and make our own egos feel better?

Neutral
Back to top Go down
Mary Ann
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Mary Ann

PostSubject: Re: Beliefnet.com Interview with Brian   Beliefnet.com Interview with Brian Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 6:12 am

LOL, NTAJ

Quote :
But if we don't know everyone's religious beliefs, how will we judge them and make our own egos feel better?

Oh, I know! We can just can call their beliefs myths or fables or parables. Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beliefnet.com Interview with Brian   Beliefnet.com Interview with Brian Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Beliefnet.com Interview with Brian
Page 1 of 1