DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')

Go down 
+122
Breanne
RobG20
charlesepting
Jack
azlisa
crutchfield
ManasquanMike
Chappers
kirstyt
bobbyjames
chickenman
loazis
acousticbandit
PC89
ksupilot
Matilda Noir
gaslightfan89
xstevenbx
bt211
thebiglebowski
The Boxer
AngryJohnnyN1930
steady now steady now
DaleCooper
stephendgaf
holdonnow
songs like a comfort
moonlight
turnitin2004
thebar1963
Midnight Rambler
nickyno
Casey
Labhras
luckyman
Heart_Strings
rem999
Down by the Mersey
NYYFAN523
e7c
Velocity
03aarm
'49mercury
TGA30
enola
NeverTrustAJunkie
heartlikeatomb
TGAFAN25
nico0493
Nik-Bicanski
rsj
Holland
Jerseyrain
NDTGA
Pridevsprose
SirBrad
Yozzy
JimmyB
simo
Rizz
fake_empire
Danieljsmith
Arctander
StitchesOnTheRadio
MKULTRA
A_Regular
eagles1139
poormrpitiful
marcsnitz
StateOfLoveAndGaslight
rikerd21
nyranger66
Hanswurst
nebraska
colmillionaire
IKeeptheDiner
EveryLittleSecret
fullcollapse
brianisbae
Stalls_Standing
Vibes
DaveSavedTheDay
Kosburn59
rgillies
CluckyB
mercyandaminute
JJW319
YouCanCallMeSally
Prisoner
J_Bizness
AmSlang59
The Angry Johnny Revue
DeathoftheCool
mingus
RobertODonnell
SouthJerseyTGA
LuceroDiehard
steph
HorribleCrowe
Shrewsbury_Stars
Van Der Twix
Steve70s
TGAforLIFE
Debonair
njguy99
Forum Owner
riversedge
IAmDisappeared
big blue
jeffrey2
Bea
jonnyz83
Don Carlo
brucesboots
plugga
IrishNameAndAnInjury
Harbortown
bringiton
Camus
ghosttocoast
Christophe
Klown
126 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 29 ... 39  Next
AuthorMessage

The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 20 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 20 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 3:53 pm

fake_empire wrote:
And Rolling Stone has it:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/song-exclusive-the-gaslight-anthem-45-20120430

YESSSSSSSSSSSS. THANK YOU.

Also, I love the photo with it.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 20 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 20 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 3:54 pm

Klown wrote:
I think your listening to a different Blink to me.
I think the difference between me and many posters here is that I actually enjoy listening to blink-182 as a fan, and I have been for many years, so I'd like to think I have a valid say here.
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 20 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 3:54 pm

Harbortown wrote:
NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
It is not very Blink-182. Blink-182's not even very Blink-182.

Quote :
Blink 182 couldn't write a song like "45" if they tried.
Agreed.

Harbor-

Please list every Blink-182 song you think this sounds like and maybe we might see your point.
There's really no point in doing that because you guys will nitpick the elements of the songs that distinguish TGA from Blink 182, but fine.

-Feeling this
-Always
-First date
-The rock show
-Going away to college

As far as Yellowcard is concerned, listen to Ocean avenue. Either way, all of this boils down to chord progression, stylistic melody lines and other theory jibber jabber.
I think you people have a hard time agreeing with me because blink-182 is considered a bit of a taboo band to be compared to. Don't be afraid to look at it objectively.
do you know the chord progression? i kinda assumed it'd be typical gaslight Am F C G type stuff. (not necessarily in that key but you know what i mean)
Back to top Go down
mingus
A Contender
A Contender
mingus

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 20 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 3:55 pm

Third listen = best so far
Back to top Go down
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 20 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 3:56 pm

Harbortown wrote:
nico0493 wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
rgillies wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
nico0493 wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
Hmm.......I'm not 100% convinced. It sounds very Yellowcard/blink-182. Definitely a new step for them.

Blink 182 ??? no way man !
It's very blink-182, are you kidding me?

Listen to the chord progression, the chorus effect on Alex's guitar, the bright guitar lick in the verses. This is very close to typical "college punk". Now that's not to say it's a bad song because I think it's good. I'm just not blown away.

Except they've written a whole bunch of songs that sound like it.

Being absolutely objective. The chord progressions throughout punk music tend to be similar and this a very SOS-like progression, I think that the main difference between gaslight music and college punk is the lyrics, which are not meant to be ridicoulous (not that that is a bad thing). Plus such a consistent lead guitar is hard to find in college punk
Yeah but the lyrics don't matter here, obviously there are mountains of distance between the quality of Brian's lyricism and typical college punk lyricism, I'm just talking about the music. There are certain things about the hooks and production about this song that are definitely related to that genre.

comparing bands is a hard and subjected thing to do, especially with a good band that is not clearly influenced.

i think TGA would admit to being influenced by a lot of bands, and they all come out in their music somewhere, and probably blink-182 as well.
Back to top Go down
https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com
nico0493
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
nico0493

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 20 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 3:56 pm

Harbortown wrote:
nico0493 wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
rgillies wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
nico0493 wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
Hmm.......I'm not 100% convinced. It sounds very Yellowcard/blink-182. Definitely a new step for them.

Blink 182 ??? no way man !
It's very blink-182, are you kidding me?

Listen to the chord progression, the chorus effect on Alex's guitar, the bright guitar lick in the verses. This is very close to typical "college punk". Now that's not to say it's a bad song because I think it's good. I'm just not blown away.

Except they've written a whole bunch of songs that sound like it.

Being absolutely objective. The chord progressions throughout punk music tend to be similar and this a very SOS-like progression, I think that the main difference between gaslight music and college punk is the lyrics, which are not meant to be ridicoulous (not that that is a bad thing). Plus such a consistent lead guitar is hard to find in college punk
Yeah but the lyrics don't matter here, obviously there are mountains of distance between the quality of Brian's lyricism and typical college punk lyricism, I'm just talking about the music. There are certain things about the hooks and production about this song that are definitely related to that genre.

If you are talking about hooks and production then I partially agree because this is supposed to be the single and has to be a "hit". But if you look at it objectivly it sounds like SOS more "polished" (whether thats good or not )
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 20 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 3:57 pm

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/song-exclusive-the-gaslight-anthem-45-20120430
Back to top Go down
bringiton
Wooderson
Wooderson
bringiton

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 20 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 3:57 pm

I'm missing a small portion of the lyrics, can anybody help out???

Have you seen my hands,
just look at em shake
And the song skips on repeating,
drop the needle again
and I dance with your ghost
Oh but that ain't the way
I can't move on and I can't stay the same

and all my friends say,
ehhhhh ehhhhhhh,
turn the record over
ehhhhhh ehhhhhh,
I'll see you on the flipside

there you go,
turn the key and engine over
let her go, let somebody else lay at her feet

mmmm,
but have you seen my heart?
have you seen how it bleeds?
and the nights are so long baby out here in the deep,
the tick ticking of hours only,
I hear THE ALARM
I used to hear when she was sleeping in my arms,
but better senses

ehhhhh ehhhhhhh,
turn the record over
ehhhhhh ehhhhhh,

there you go,

and all my friends say

ehhhh ehhhh,
turn the record over,
ehhhhhh ehhhhh,

there you go,

where you used to be
where you used to be
where you used to be
here with me

Last edited by bringiton on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Casey
A Contender
A Contender
Casey

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 20 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 3:58 pm

Amazing song, knew I was going to love it!

I can kind of hear the Blink 182 comparison. But not, Blink, just pop-punk in general. I hear it a bit in the intro (before the second guitar kicks in, that provides much more depth than most pop-punk bands), and also right near the end around 3:09 where the drums pick up (I'm sure that's not exclusive to pop-punk, but it seems to happen in a lot of that genre's songs).
Back to top Go down
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 20 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 3:59 pm

Harbortown wrote:
Klown wrote:
I think your listening to a different Blink to me.
I think the difference between me and many posters here is that I actually enjoy listening to blink-182 as a fan, and I have been for many years, so I'd like to think I have a valid say here.

that shouldn't ever be the case. there's nothing wrong with blink-182 - hell, they wrtie some crazy catchy songs. i would agree that the brief finger picking part of the song before getting harder is similar to blink. no?
Back to top Go down
https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 20 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 3:59 pm

Labhras wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
It is not very Blink-182. Blink-182's not even very Blink-182.

Quote :
Agreed.

Harbor-

Please list every Blink-182 song you think this sounds like and maybe we might see your point.
There's really no point in doing that because you guys will nitpick the elements of the songs that distinguish TGA from Blink 182, but fine.

-Feeling this
-Always
-First date
-The rock show
-Going away to college

As far as Yellowcard is concerned, listen to Ocean avenue. Either way, all of this boils down to chord progression, stylistic melody lines and other theory jibber jabber.
I think you people have a hard time agreeing with me because blink-182 is considered a bit of a taboo band to be compared to. Don't be afraid to look at it objectively.
do you know the chord progression? i kinda assumed it'd be typical gaslight Am F C G type stuff. (not necessarily in that key but you know what i mean)
Intro
Cm - A# - Cm - A#
Cm - A# - G# - A# - B

Verse
D# - A# - Cm - A#

Pre-chorus
G# - A#

Chorus
Cm - G# - D# - A#
Cm - G# - D# - A#
D# - A# - Cm - G#
D# - A# - Cm - G#

Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

I'm a Blink fan too and cannot express how much 45 does NOT sound like them.

Awesome song!
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

It sounds like The Gaslight Anthem
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 20 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 4:00 pm

riversedge wrote:

This.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
Yozzy
A Contender
A Contender
Yozzy

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 20 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 4:00 pm

bringiton wrote:

Have you seen my hands,
just look at em shake
drop the needle again

and all my friends say,
ehhhhh ehhhhhhh,
turn the record over
ehhhhhh ehhhhhh,

there you go,

mmmm,
I hear __________
but better senses

ehhhhh ehhhhhhh,
turn the record over
ehhhhhh ehhhhhh,

there you go,

and all my friends say

ehhhh ehhhh,
turn the record over,
ehhhhhh ehhhhh,

there you go,

where you used to be
where you used to be
where you used to be
here with me

I think it says "I hear the alarm", at the end of the second verse.
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 20 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 4:01 pm

riversedge wrote:
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 20 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 4:01 pm

I think it's: I hear the alarm.
Back to top Go down
TGAforLIFE
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
TGAforLIFE

sounds like "out here in the deep" .....

ooops.. My bad. haha

Last edited by TGAforLIFE on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

so glad I've never heard blink 182!!
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

People act like Blink-182 is a bad word but they influenced probably every remotely pop-punk sounding band out there today.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 20 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 4:02 pm

Klown wrote:
riversedge wrote:

This.
Can you try being a bit more convincing?
Back to top Go down
nico0493
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
nico0493

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 20 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 4:02 pm

Yozzy wrote:
bringiton wrote:

Have you seen my hands,
just look at em shake
drop the needle again

and all my friends say,
ehhhhh ehhhhhhh,
turn the record over
ehhhhhh ehhhhhh,

there you go,

mmmm,
I hear __________
but better senses

ehhhhh ehhhhhhh,
turn the record over
ehhhhhh ehhhhhh,

there you go,

and all my friends say

ehhhh ehhhh,
turn the record over,
ehhhhhh ehhhhh,

there you go,

where you used to be
where you used to be
where you used to be
here with me

I think it says "I hear the alarm", at the end of the second verse.

I love this forum Smile haha
Back to top Go down
bringiton
Wooderson
Wooderson
bringiton

"hear the alarm" makes sense, think I got it now but maybe a couple of things might not be for sure.
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 20 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 4:03 pm

lyrics and chords already. i love this forum.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 20 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 4:03 pm

I agree that it kinda sounds Blink 182-ish

also the intro sounds like Count Your Bruises from the Flatliners

and do I hear autotune?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')   The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio'  & 'spoiler thread') - Page 20 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The "45" thread (comb: 'single premiered on BBC Radio' & 'spoiler thread')
Page 20 of 39Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 29 ... 39  Next