DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My Short Atricle on TGA

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
CM7
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

My Short Atricle on TGA Empty
PostSubject: My Short Atricle on TGA   My Short Atricle on TGA Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 5:10 pm

Hey guys, I've been reading these forums for a few months now, just never thought to register.

However, I've just written a short piece on TGA and the new album 'Handwritten', that I might use for a blog or something - or end up deleting lol

Anyway, it would mean alot to get some feedback on the writing and opinions in it, it's short so don't worry!!

Here we go:

With the recent news that New Jersey punk rockers The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records for their fourth full length release, the underground 'punk' community has been fretting for the future of their favourite foursome, and why wouldn't they be?

Ever since the release of their first full length album 'Sink or Swim' back in 2007 to the bombastic 'American Slang' in the summer of 2010 - via their critically acclaimed, semi-breakthrough record 'The '59 Sound' The Gaslight Anthem have become one of the most refreshing rock and roll bands to come out of anywhere in the last ten years. With continued championing from icons such as Eddie Vedder and fellow New Jersey alumni Bruce Springsteen, it's really quite amazing that the band still remain relatively unknown. However, until their recent change of scenery to the major leagues, Brian, Benny and the two Alex's were quite content residing on the fringes of the mainstream. Now, however, the ball has been handed to these guys; and they aren't stupid enough to go home with it.

Many think this spells beginning of the end for The Gaslight Anthem, that they'll lose their punk edge and become something of a Social Distortion or Bouncing Souls; another forgotten garage rock band who will have a mainstream pop hit or two then fade into a world of obscurity and the Summer music festival scene. The fact is though, that the Gaslight Anthem have already, in their short career, surpassed this. They released one of the best rock albums of the 21st Century while they were still on homegrown, independent label SideOneDummy; a small company that will find it hard to say goodbye to one of their most loyal customers. The Jersey rockers could have went major 4 years ago after The '59 Sound caught on, but instead chose to stay loyal to the guys who helped them get there. The result was American slang: the perfect way to say goodbye to indie, and their friends and SideOneDummy.

Now with proper financial and commercial support and more touring freedom, expect the Gaslight Anthem to start popping up everywhere, their fourth effort 'Handwritten' will no doubt be anticipated by the higher-ups at Mercury to be their 'American Idiot': the album that takes this band from the mid day slot in the small tent, to the headlining act on the last night of the main stage.

These four punks are hurriedly on the road out of New Jersey, following the littered path that was trail-blazed almost 40 years ago by the Boss, Bruce Springsteen- and don't expect them to be putting on the brakes anytime soon.

Expect 'Handwritten' to be released in the summer of 2012, to coincide with the already announced European dates.

Chris Mullan.

Thanks for taking the time to read it. Now if they would just announce a release date!
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: My Short Atricle on TGA   My Short Atricle on TGA Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 9:00 pm

Welcome to the forum Chris. Not a badly written piece but I take issue with your description of Social D. and the Souls . Also, if you're going to analogize Gaslight to Green Day, it was Dookie that turned Green Day into big-time headliners a decade before American Idiot.
Back to top Go down
CM7
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: My Short Atricle on TGA   My Short Atricle on TGA Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 4:45 pm

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, about the SD and BS reference, it's more than likely a culture thing, here in Ireland I don't think many people would have even heard of the Souls, and probably only a handful of Social Distortion songs. However, I could look at a few post grunge alternative bands from the 90's, someone like Bush perhaps, might be more fitting?

I'm also aware that Dookie was Green Day's breakthrough album, I guess I meant it in more of a description of how commercial 'Handwritten' might sound in contrast to the previous three - similar to how American Idiot sounds against albums like Dookie.

Thanks for taking the time to read it man!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Short Atricle on TGA   My Short Atricle on TGA Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Short Atricle on TGA
Page 1 of 1