DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow...

Go down 
+3
Camus
steph
The Angry Johnny Revue
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... Empty
PostSubject: So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow...   So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 24, 2011 6:44 pm

Taking a four week road trip round both islands. Hoping to see and do a lot but anybody got any particular recommendations (maybe some of the less obvious stuff)?

I'm starting in Auckland and making my way south then flying back from Dunedin to Auckland in time for my return flight home.

Probably not gonna bother with Christchurch given its current predicament!
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

PostSubject: Re: So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow...   So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 24, 2011 7:32 pm

Now I'm from New Zealand, so this is going to be very biased but I recommend if you're driving down from Auckland (or Little China as it's now known as) spend some time on the East Coast of the North Island. Napier, Hawkes Bay and Gisborne are pretty cool cities. The East Coast also has the Te Urewera National Park which is a pretty cool place to see. Gisborne has a New Years Music festival going called Rythym & Vines which runs from the 29th-31st, usually it gets some pretty decent artists although this year it's looking a bit poppy and mainstream. The East Coast is well known for it's surfing, so if you're interested in that you should definitely hit up Wainui Beach. If you do decide to go there though I warn you the Waioeka Gorge is a challenging place to drive through, nonetheless it's filled with waterfall's, rivers and wildlife, so it's worth it. And even if you don't plan on going to the east coast it'd be a waste for you not to stop in Rotorua which is in between Auckland and the East Coast as they've got some awesome stuff such as Volcano's, Hot Springs, Sky Diving and a Luge track.

One other thing as well is that New Zealand's pretty big on rugby, but rugby season is over. I know there are some domestic soccer matches going on while you're there (although watching Auckland vs Wellington lacks the same intensity and atmosphere watching Chelsea vs Man U would have) and the national cricket team is playing a few matches against Zimbabwe and South Africa in most of the major cities next month, so if you're into sport you could check those out.

Don't know much about the South Island sorry, but if you're into extreme stuff make sure you try out bungee jumping there.

Anyhoo hope this helps, and have fun! Smile
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow...   So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 24, 2011 8:27 pm

i'm so jealous! i've wanted to go to new zealand ever since i found out that's where they filmed LOTR, it looks gorgeous! post pics when you get back!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow...   So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 24, 2011 9:10 pm

The Angry Johnny Revue wrote:
Now I'm from New Zealand, so this is going to be very biased but I recommend if you're driving down from Auckland (or Little China as it's now known as) spend some time on the East Coast of the North Island. Napier, Hawkes Bay and Gisborne are pretty cool cities. The East Coast also has the Te Urewera National Park which is a pretty cool place to see. Gisborne has a New Years Music festival going called Rythym & Vines which runs from the 29th-31st, usually it gets some pretty decent artists although this year it's looking a bit poppy and mainstream. The East Coast is well known for it's surfing, so if you're interested in that you should definitely hit up Wainui Beach. If you do decide to go there though I warn you the Waioeka Gorge is a challenging place to drive through, nonetheless it's filled with waterfall's, rivers and wildlife, so it's worth it. And even if you don't plan on going to the east coast it'd be a waste for you not to stop in Rotorua which is in between Auckland and the East Coast as they've got some awesome stuff such as Volcano's, Hot Springs, Sky Diving and a Luge track.

One other thing as well is that New Zealand's pretty big on rugby, but rugby season is over. I know there are some domestic soccer matches going on while you're there (although watching Auckland vs Wellington lacks the same intensity and atmosphere watching Chelsea vs Man U would have) and the national cricket team is playing a few matches against Zimbabwe and South Africa in most of the major cities next month, so if you're into sport you could check those out.

Don't know much about the South Island sorry, but if you're into extreme stuff make sure you try out bungee jumping there.

Some great ideas there - thanks! I wasn't planning on going down the east side of North Island but might reconsider now. Do you reckon that's more worthwhile than heading north west out of Auckland to Kerikeri/Cape Reinga area? Rotorua already on my route Cool

I'll be needing something to do at New Year - the festival's a good idea but the only acts I've heard of aren't really my kind of music.

I was hoping to catch a football (soccer) game - don't mind if its not up to much, I watch League 1 over here (3rd division) so not a football snob!!!
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

PostSubject: Re: So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow...   So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 24, 2011 10:13 pm

markbarlow wrote:

Some great ideas there - thanks! I wasn't planning on going down the east side of North Island but might reconsider now. Do you reckon that's more worthwhile than heading north west out of Auckland to Kerikeri/Cape Reinga area? Rotorua already on my route Cool

I'll be needing something to do at New Year - the festival's a good idea but the only acts I've heard of aren't really my kind of music.

I was hoping to catch a football (soccer) game - don't mind if its not up to much, I watch League 1 over here (3rd division) so not a football snob!!!

Yeah that Bay of Islands area is decent, have only been there once though.

Warning though is that once you get out of Auckland there are pretty much no freeways/motorways so everything takes ages to get to for such a small country. You'll be driving for a long time thinking "Fuck, we've been driving for ages, where is everything?"

Oh and if you do go to a soccer match try and get tickets for Auckland City vs Waitekere United. They're the only two teams that wouldn't be relegated from the Blue Square Conference leagues if they were based in England Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow...   So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... Icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2011 6:56 am

Warning though is that once you get out of Auckland there are pretty much no freeways/motorways so everything takes ages to get to for such a small country. You'll be driving for a long time thinking "Fuck, we've been driving for ages, where is everything?"

Oh and if you do go to a soccer match try and get tickets for Auckland City vs Waitekere United. They're the only two teams that wouldn't be relegated from the Blue Square Conference leagues if they were based in England Wink
Haha, good English football knowledge! Looks like I'll miss that fixture but will try and catch one of those two in action. Unfortunately I'll probably be down on the south island by the time the fixtures start again so might be limited.

Re the roads I've done a lot of driving in Scotland so hopefully have a rough idea of what to expect - i.e. single track roads, passing places and getting stuck behind RVs!
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

PostSubject: Re: So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow...   So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... Icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2011 11:59 am

markbarlow wrote:

Haha, good English football knowledge! Looks like I'll miss that fixture but will try and catch one of those two in action. Unfortunately I'll probably be down on the south island by the time the fixtures start again so might be limited.

Re the roads I've done a lot of driving in Scotland so hopefully have a rough idea of what to expect - i.e. single track roads, passing places and getting stuck behind RVs!

Forget RV's mate, you'll be getting stuck behind sheep.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow...   So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 4:11 pm

Got back from my trip last week - thought I'd post a few pics as requested by steph! NZ is a truly stunning country, hoping to go back there sooner rather than later.

The (rough) route I took (link to google maps):
North Island
South Island

Mount "Doom" Ngauruhoe/Tongariro Alpine Crossing:

So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... P1000346

So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... P1000364

West coast of South island:

So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... P1000715

Milford Sound and the drive there/back (best road I've ever driven on):

So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... P1010430

So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... P1010391

So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... P1010452

So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... P1010459

So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... P1010464

Doubtful Sound via Lake Manapouri:

So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... P1010476

So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... P1010648

So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... P1010668

So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... DSC09451

Crazy north facing trees on the south coast of the south island:

So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... P1010743

Moeraki Boulders:

So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... P1010774

Sunset behind Auckland from Waiheke Island:

So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... P1010896

Last edited by markbarlow on Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

PostSubject: Re: So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow...   So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 4:14 pm

These pictures are really awesome.
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

PostSubject: Re: So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow...   So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 4:15 pm

woah these places are stunning
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow...   So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 4:23 pm

Those pictures are amazing! New Zealand looks like such a gorgeous country. Thanks for sharing these with us! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow...   So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 4:34 pm

IrishNameAndAnInjury wrote:
Those pictures are amazing! New Zealand looks like such a gorgeous country. Thanks for sharing these with us! Very Happy
You're welcome! It is such a great country - well worth a visit if you can cope with the long flights (from Europe at least - not too bad from the West Coast).

The pictures don't really do it justice to be honest. I guess you can see huge mountains, beautiful lakes and great beaches all over the world but to get incredible examples of them all so close together in a relatively small country is pretty unique.

I'm saving up to go back asap!

Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

PostSubject: Re: So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow...   So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 4:59 pm

Pleased you liked it. I trust the sheep didn't give you any trouble?
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow...   So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 5:15 pm

Wow, beautiful pictures.

You simply walked into Mordor.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow...   So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 6:03 pm

Pleased you liked it. I trust the sheep didn't give you any trouble?
Not at all - surprisingly didn't see THAT many of them (no more than driving around Wales for example).

loazis wrote:
Wow, beautiful pictures.

You simply walked into Mordor.
And ironically you can't drink the water in Tongariro National Park either! Something to do with the excess of minerals from all the volcanic activity.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow...   So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 10:35 pm

Wow, it's nothing less than I would expect! Thank you so much for posting! I don't even know what to say, I'm just taking in all the photos. That is possibly the most beautiful place I've ever seen!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow...   So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 4:28 pm

steph wrote:

Wow, it's nothing less than I would expect! Thank you so much for posting! I don't even know what to say, I'm just taking in all the photos. That is possibly the most beautiful place I've ever seen!
You're welcome! Its certainly the most beautiful place I've visited.

Thought I'd post a few more, nowhere near as epic as the previous ones but a bit more variety.

"Craters of the Moon" (volcanic bubbling mud pools):
So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... P1000246

Aratiatia Rapids:
So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... P1000281

Kaikoura:
So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... P1000499

Near Hanmer Springs:
So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... P1000539

Buller Gorge:
So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... P1000660

Franz Josef Glacier:
So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... P1000913

So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... P1000914

Queenstown area:
So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... P1010046

So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... P1010087

So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... P1010097

Lake Te Anau:
So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... P1010105
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow...   So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 4:32 pm

Too pretty for words!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow...   So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 4:34 pm

Too pretty for words!
You should probably wait until you've seen me before making statements like that.
Wink
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow...   So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 10:35 pm

markbarlow wrote:
Too pretty for words!
You should probably wait until you've seen me before making statements like that.
Wink

Haha, I walked right into that one, didn't I? Razz Good one, Mark! Wink
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow...   So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 3:06 am

markbarlow wrote:
Too pretty for words!
Wink

AHHH... you are my kind of person. Razz Wink that photo of franz josef glacier is so gorgeous ugghhh...travel porn!

...there's probably a better name for that. Embarassed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow...   So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 5:30 pm

steph wrote:
markbarlow wrote:
Too pretty for words!
Wink

AHHH... you are my kind of person. Razz Wink that photo of franz josef glacier is so gorgeous ugghhh...travel porn!

Nope, travel porn is a good description! You mentioned Lord of the Rings earlier - I didn't do much LoTR stuff but here's one last one for you:

So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... P1000175b
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

PostSubject: Re: So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow...   So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 5:37 pm

markbarlow wrote:
steph wrote:
markbarlow wrote:
Too pretty for words!
Wink

Nope, travel porn is a good description! You mentioned Lord of the Rings earlier - I didn't do much LoTR stuff but here's one last one for you:

Hahaha, amazing. Was it literally just a door on the face of the hill?
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow...   So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 6:26 pm

markbarlow wrote:
steph wrote:
markbarlow wrote:
Too pretty for words!
Wink

THE SHIRE! I WANT TO GO TO THERE. I WANT TO LIVE THERE.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow...   So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 4:09 pm

Camus wrote:
Hahaha, amazing. Was it literally just a door on the face of the hill?

Pretty much - they'd built supports maybe 6 feet into the hill. All the interior stuff was shot in a studio.

So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... P1000186

It was a bit more impressive than that though - think there are 42 "hobbit holes" there and the actual village area was pretty big.

So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... P1000192

So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... P1000181

So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... P1000174

It was cool to wander round there and its made me want to watch the movies again (though not sure when I'll get a spare 10 hours!).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow...   So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So I'm flying out to New Zealand tomorrow...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next