DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video)

Go down 
+12
JimmyB
Prisoner
MKULTRA
ral
Bea
Daire
Jerseyrain
ThisMachineKillsFascists
simo
Debonair
mingus
steady now steady now
16 posters
AuthorMessage
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video) Empty
PostSubject: TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video)   TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 5:18 pm

Convention Hall, Asbury Park, 9 December 2011

the official video as released on TGA's YouTube channel

Last edited by steady now steady now on Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
mingus
A Contender
A Contender
mingus

PostSubject: Re: TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video)   TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 5:31 pm

And now the rest as a DVD please! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video)   TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 5:33 pm

Awesome, Its like being there all over again, glad I got to see this before going to work

You can tell from how Bruce is playing they didn't practice, he's watching Brians guitar the whole time and slowly changes chord.....it still sounds great, that makes this ten times more awesome
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video)   TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 5:35 pm

Yeah I'm not quite sure what Bruce is doing on guitar during some parts of that song but he didn't screw it up too much. And he mostly got the words right, didn't he?
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video)   TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 5:42 pm

Yeah he had a lyric sheet in front of him that's why he's looking at the ground at points. If i remember right, one of the people who was with me when i met Benny got it. And that's what sparked the story that Benny told us about Bruce that night.
Back to top Go down
ThisMachineKillsFascists
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ThisMachineKillsFascists

PostSubject: Re: TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video)   TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 5:48 pm

Really cool. Now we just have to wait for the rest.

Haha, the video from the Conan performance on their channel is ripped from Swedish television.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video)   TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 6:18 pm

Fingers crossed on a DVD oooooooooooooo
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

PostSubject: Re: TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video)   TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 6:18 pm

After watching that there's no way there's going to be a DVD.
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

PostSubject: Re: TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video)   TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 6:26 pm

Daire wrote:
agree
Back to top Go down
ral
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ral

PostSubject: Re: TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video)   TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 6:27 pm

I'm sure it was cool to see live but Bruce is lost for most of the song and it shows. He does get most of the lyrics that he tries right though, unlike the first time he joined in on The 59 Sound, so that's a plus.
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

PostSubject: Re: TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video)   TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 6:53 pm

sounds good

yeah he's a little lost and there are a few mess-ups (after the first chorus i think) but overall the guitar fit in pretty well.

some of my favorite Gaslight performances are the ones with three guitars. This, Old Haunts at the 2010 show i went to, the video of Old White Lincoln w/Ian. I think the extra axe just really works with their sound. Not as much with this video, but it opens up the songs dramatically. Here's hoping there's some more Ian Perkins on the next tour/album.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video)   TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 7:14 pm

Isn't that Alex R. making the mistakes?
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video)   TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 7:29 pm

man that was good.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video)   TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 8:02 pm

Awesome video. Bruce did well considering he had to listen the song on an i pod 4-5 times before the show to learn it. I think he played the wrong bit at one point but lets face it he can do what he wants. Looks like there were 3 cameras which gives a good enough coverage for the size of the venue. I can't see why they wouldn't release this as a dvd. It would mark the end of the era with S1D and would be a great bridge into the Mercury era.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video)   TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 8:04 pm

At the end of the day he was supposed to play The 59 Sound but arrived late so considering he wasn't prepared I think Bruce did ok
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video)   TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 8:20 pm

Prisoner wrote:

Yeh most of the mistakes are made by Alex R
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video)   TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 8:56 pm

Bea wrote:
Daire wrote:
agree

Why do you think? do you think cameras were there to simply capture the moment with Bruce?
Back to top Go down
rem999
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
rem999

PostSubject: Re: TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video)   TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 9:00 pm

Holland wrote:
Prisoner wrote:

Yeh most of the mistakes are made by Alex R

i actually read this thread before i watched the official vid.... thought to myself "didnt remember bruce messing up but i remember alex r messing up".... sure enough it was alex r... he's usually good for a missed chord a few times a show, its hard being a lead guitarist lol.

walking into a song without knowing it def wasnt a problem for bruce, as though of you who have seen e street perform they often take challenges from the crowd to play covers they dont normally play and 99% of the time they nail it.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video)   TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 9:55 pm

I don't see why the DVD would have anything to do with marking the end of the S1D era. They've got 3 albums out and are pretty much due for one and this show would have been a standout experience even without Bruce there.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video)   TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 12:29 am

Yeah Alex R. did mess up but Bruce looked kinda confused through a lot of it. I don't see why it couldn't be a DVD. Sure there were only a few camera angles, but it doesn't have to be a standalone release. Could just be a bonus disc or something. And I'm sure they'd probably do more work to make the audio sound even better.
Back to top Go down
kuruptlon
A Contender
A Contender
kuruptlon

PostSubject: Re: TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video)   TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 1:52 am

Only the Boss can get up there, play a song he's never heard before and make it look that cool.

Obviously he looked a little lost at some points but I'm impressed he had his timing right on the lyrics for the most part.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video)   TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 6:40 am

simo wrote:
Yeah Alex R. did mess up but Bruce looked kinda confused through a lot of it. I don't see why it couldn't be a DVD. Sure there were only a few camera angles, but it doesn't have to be a standalone release. Could just be a bonus disc or something. And I'm sure they'd probably do more work to make the audio sound even better.

Yeah only having the few camera angle made me think there was less chance of a DVD but from the angles they used I thought it would still work well. We'll just have to wait and see I guess. I wouldn't say after 3 albums they were "due" a live dvd. For example R.E.M. only released their first live album about 5 years ago. I don't think there is a particular point in a bands career where they say we should really be putting a live show out for release. It just makes sense at this moment in time. They leave one label. Make a live dvd that covers the songs from that era and now theyre recording a new album with a new label so it totally makes sense to release something like this in between.

Back to top Go down
ThisMachineKillsFascists
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ThisMachineKillsFascists

PostSubject: Re: TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video)   TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 7:39 am

You can't really blame Rosamalia for messing up after the first chorus. The main riff is usually played just once between the first chorus and the second verse. Bruce and Brian kept playing the same thing while Alex went into the verse.
Back to top Go down
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

PostSubject: Re: TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video)   TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 3:49 pm

Jerseyrain wrote:
Bea wrote:
Daire wrote:
agree

Why do you think? do you think cameras were there to simply capture the moment with Bruce?

More than likely.

The audio and video quality are well below what would be on a standard DVD. And the camera work was pretty shoddy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video)   TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TGA & the Boss play 'American Slang' (official video)
Page 1 of 1