DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research

Go down 
+6
Jerseyrain
Gaslight23
DeathoftheCool
loazis
JJW319
PhD Researcher
10 posters
AuthorMessage
PhD Researcher
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
PhD Researcher

Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research Empty
PostSubject: Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research   Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research Icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 4:35 pm

Hello Board,

Many thanks to the board moderator for allowing me to make this post.

I am a Ph.D. student at The University of Texas – Pan American, and I am researching how music fans react to a video of a band’s live performance. I consider fans of The Gaslight Anthem to be great music fans, and your participation would be very much appreciated. All you have to do is view a video that will last between 3 and 4 minutes, and then rate the band on 14 categories and answer about 7 questions. It should take between five and ten minutes to complete.

Thank you very much!

Here’s the link:

(NEW LINK TO NEW SURVEY PROVIDED BELOW IN THIS THREAD... THANK YOU)

Last edited by PhD Researcher on Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

PostSubject: Re: Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research   Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research Icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 5:03 pm

Just finished - seemed like a good study.
Back to top Go down
PhD Researcher
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
PhD Researcher

PostSubject: Re: Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research   Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research Icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 5:06 pm

Thanks! And say Hi to PA for me... I lived in Northeast PA before moving here to Texas for school. WOW do I miss the North this time of year!
Back to top Go down
PhD Researcher
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
PhD Researcher

PostSubject: Re: Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research   Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research Icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 5:40 pm

By the way, when you take the survey, the video you see will be assigned randomly. That is part of the research design.
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research   Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research Icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 5:48 pm

Done. Good luck : )
Back to top Go down
PhD Researcher
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
PhD Researcher

PostSubject: Re: Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research   Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 12:07 am

Thanks Loazis!
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research   Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 2:45 am

cool survey. best wishes, good doctor.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research   Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 3:02 am

done.
Back to top Go down
PhD Researcher
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
PhD Researcher

PostSubject: Re: Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research   Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 3:38 am

Thanks DOTC and Sanam.
Back to top Go down
Gaslight23
Wooderson
Wooderson
Gaslight23

PostSubject: Re: Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research   Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 7:53 am

Done
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research   Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 8:44 am

Done
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
backseat99
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
backseat99

PostSubject: Re: Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research   Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 10:07 am

Done, not too sure about the scale you are using though! How can I rate a band on their 'knowledge' ? I hope you plan on conducting some ethnographic fieldwork of a live music scene to add to the study?! Good luck with the thesis!
Back to top Go down
PhD Researcher
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
PhD Researcher

PostSubject: Re: Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research   Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 1:13 pm

Thanks GL23, Jerseyrain and Backseat. Backseat, I am planning on a few days at South-by-Southwest, one of the biggest music festivals in te US. That's not until March, but I plan to work with this data as part of a separate submission before then. Also, I did validate these scales (including "knowledge" Smile ) as part of a pilot study. Great observations, though.
Back to top Go down
backseat99
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
backseat99

PostSubject: Re: Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research   Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 1:20 pm

No worries, as a fellow PhD researcher (mines socciology and masculinties in South Wales, in the UK) I feel your pain! More of a qualitative researcher here though! Enjou South-by-Southwest take ya notebook!
Back to top Go down
PhD Researcher
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
PhD Researcher

PostSubject: Re: Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research   Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 1:27 pm

Thanks. My University's marketing department is known for its emphasis on qualitative research methods, and I, too enjoy qualitative. Being part of a College of Business, it sometimes seems like a losing battle but I put up the good fight. Many PhD's going into the market are asked the dreaded question... What do you prefer, qualitative or quantitative? Some don't like the answer "both" because they see it as an easy answer. I hope to have enough projects out there that use both so that I can support my answer. I really do see the importance of including both.
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

PostSubject: Re: Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research   Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 2:27 pm

done : )
Back to top Go down
spgilbert
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research   Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 9:30 pm

done. i thought some of the questions were kinda weird too. 'trustworthy'? uh........?
Back to top Go down
PhD Researcher
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
PhD Researcher

PostSubject: Re: Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research   Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 3:10 am

Thanks Spugga and spgilbert. And yeah, some of the questions can seem weird. They make more sense taken together than one at a time... Actually, these questions have been used and shown to be pretty effective a number of times in previous research. I realize there is no way for me to write that sentence without sounding like the geek that I am. Please know, though that answering them is very helpful, and much appreciated Smile
Back to top Go down
PhD Researcher
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
PhD Researcher

PostSubject: Re: Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research   Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 3:08 pm

Hello board,
I just wanted to refresh this thread. I am in the final stages of data collection and your participation would really be appreciated! Feel free to pass the link around. You can either use the original link, or this one:

(NEW LINK TO NEW SURVEY PROVIDED BELOW IN THIS THREAD... THANK YOU)

Thanks!
- Paul (University of Texas - Pan American)

Last edited by PhD Researcher on Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PhD Researcher
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
PhD Researcher

PostSubject: Re: Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research   Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2013 2:03 am

Glad this is still Sticky... Thanks to all who participated.
(I posted a separate entry with the following information before I realized this one was still sticky)

This study was a great success thanks to fine folks like yourselves. An academic conference submission that resulted from the research won an award at the American Marketing Association's annual Summer Educators conference, and it is also the subject of an article I will soon submit to an academic journal.

I am now in the final year of my Ph.D. program and working on my dissertation. I am still basing my research on music fans and would love to get your insight. This time, I am even giving away a new iPad to one lucky winner! Each completed survey is entered into a drawing for the iPad. The survey only takes about five minutes, ten minutes at the most. I will check back here to field any questions or concerns, however you can also feel free to contact me at my University email address - pgbarretta@utpa.edu. (I am a Ph.D. candidate at The University of Texas - Pan American.

Here is a secure link to the survey:

https://edu.surveygizmo.com/s3/1135688/Music-Perceptions

My thanks to you all... and rock on!

- Paul Barretta / The University of Texas - Pan American

Back to top Go down
Philo
Wooderson
Wooderson
Philo

PostSubject: Re: Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research   Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2013 2:36 am

wave Done
Back to top Go down
PhD Researcher
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
PhD Researcher

PostSubject: Re: Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research   Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2013 2:39 am

Thanks Philo! Much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
PhD Researcher
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
PhD Researcher

PostSubject: Re: Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research   Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 8:07 pm

I would like to thank everyone for your cooperation, participation, and for passing the survey along to others. I have just closed the survey, as I have gathered the appropriate number of surveys. I will hold the drawing for the iPad in the coming weeks.

To the Admins: Thank you very much for making the thread sticky - it was a huge help!
Back to top Go down
PhD Researcher
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
PhD Researcher

PostSubject: Re: Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research   Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 7:52 pm

Congratulations to Jo from Portsmouth, NH who won the iPad drawing from the survey I used to gather data for my dissertation (and gave me permission to post her first name in public). Thanks to all who took and/or passed along the music survey, I really appreciate it. Initial look at the data looks great for those of you interested in the nerdy part of this message.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research   Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Watch a video, answer a few questions, contribute to my academic research
Page 1 of 1