DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link??

Go down 
+23
JimmyB
Jerseyrain
J_Bizness
steffuhnee
IrishNameAndAnInjury
stephendgaf
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
Daire
steady now steady now
StopAndSlideToTheRight
simo
The M
Casey
NeverTrustAJunkie
Debonair
Bea
riversedge
MKULTRA
Tiffany
19thirty
The Angry Johnny Revue
Harbortown
Rock bus
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Rock bus
A Contender
A Contender

Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link?? Empty
PostSubject: Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link??   Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link?? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 5:47 pm

Ok, be honest here would you really like the horrible crowes if it wasnt for Brian/Gaslight connection?

Now I've only got the album today and had one listen - and I DO think its really good but if Im honest if I heard one or two of the tracks in isolation on the radio (fat chance!) I cant say i would rush out and get the album. I would just think I like that guys voice but its a bit slow.

It wouldnt normally be the type of stuff I would go out and buy but thats not to say Im not glad I did. I really like it and after a few listens I am sure will love it. Gives me something good to listen to when perhaps the time/mood isnt right for GA

What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link??   Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link?? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 5:52 pm

Short answer: Yes.
Long answer: Yesssssssss.
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

PostSubject: Re: Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link??   Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link?? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 5:56 pm

I Honestly think there's couple of songs on there that are musically lightyears ahead of anything TGA's ever produced such as Mary Ann. However these songs aren't quite enough to keep it afloat and truth be told I probably wouldn't like it as much without the TGA link, however I would still listen to it on occasion.
Back to top Go down
19thirty
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link??   Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link?? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 6:21 pm

I like Elsie...atleast the second half of it! The first half is a little too slow for me. But I like what Brian and TGA have done way better. Those 3 records are more my speed!
Back to top Go down
Tiffany
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Tiffany

PostSubject: Re: Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link??   Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link?? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 6:35 pm

I think it sounds good enough to stand on its own.
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

PostSubject: Re: Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link??   Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link?? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 6:40 pm

Harbortown wrote:
Short answer: Yes.
Long answer: Yesssssssss.

Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link??   Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link?? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 6:53 pm

Indded
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link??   Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link?? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 7:10 pm

I think I would still like it a lot. It's hard to judge, though. I mean, we've all heard TGA and are obviously big fans, so it's hard to try and imagine THC without that link.
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

PostSubject: Re: Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link??   Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link?? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 7:49 pm

the only reason why i love THC is obviously because of Brian. i'm pretty sure i wouldn't like this album if i didn't know where it came from and all its background story. maybe i'd listen to it and like a couple of songs, but not most of them. (OMG the horror!! blasphemy! affraid )
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link??   Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link?? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 8:03 pm

Well since with out Brian this great music couldn't be made than no

But if i found t.h.c, with out Brian that sounded just like this, hell yeah,
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link??   Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link?? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 9:26 pm

Since Brian is involved I gave the music a shot and ended up liking it. I can't force myself to like anything just because a certain person is involved, so if I thought it sucked I wouldn't have bought the CD or gone to the show. For example, I'm not that into the other guys' side projects (at least not right now I'm not). Wish I was, but I just don't connect to what I've heard so far.

If Brian wasn't in the band and it was a bunch of strangers, I probably would not have paid it much attention. Brian brings something unique to whatever he does, so if someone else was singing the same songs, it might not make me feel the same way when I listened to it. Therefore it's hard to say whether I would like it if he was not involved.

It's kinda like when someone has a baby. If you don't know the parents, you probably don't care what the kid is like. This probably makes sense to only me and that's probably because I'm so tired that I'm punch drunk.
Back to top Go down
Casey
A Contender
A Contender
Casey

PostSubject: Re: Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link??   Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link?? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 1:12 am

For me, the problem would be finding out they even exist. I doubt I'd give them much of a chance, or even bother spending time on some random band unless I was recommended them by someone whose opinion I value.

I'm sure there are dozens, maybe hundreds/thousands of great bands I'd love that I've never heard.
Back to top Go down
The M
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link??   Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link?? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 3:06 am

Yes, yes I would. The same things that drew me to TGA in the first place--Fallon's voice, the hook-laden melodies, the lyrics--are intact on 'Elsie' (and Fallon's voice is a much more developed instrument here than it is on TGA's albums). If he had radically changed anything, then maybe I wouldn't dig 'Elsie' as much, but it's just a darker, heavier (mood-wise), more slowly burning display of Fallon's strengths.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link??   Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link?? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 3:24 am

Yes but I don't know if I would have given it as much of a chance. First 2-3 listens of Elsie were just okay. Some bands I might've just left alone after that, but since I love TGA so much, I kept on listening and it grew on me a ton.

But I guess I didn't even like The '59 Sound album that much when I first heard it.
Back to top Go down
StopAndSlideToTheRight
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
StopAndSlideToTheRight

PostSubject: Re: Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link??   Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link?? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 4:03 am

Bea wrote:
the only reason why i love THC is obviously because of Brian. i'm pretty sure i wouldn't like this album if i didn't know where it came from and all its background story. maybe i'd listen to it and like a couple of songs, but not most of them. (OMG the horror!! blasphemy! affraid )

That's my view exactly. I reckon I'd like it, but I wouldn't go far enough to buy it, I don't think I'd appreciate it in the same way.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link??   Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link?? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 4:16 am

Quote :
I don't think I'd appreciate it in the same way.

Agreed. I think that's what I was trying to say in some roundabout way Embarassed
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link??   Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link?? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 8:32 am

just chancing upon the 'Black Betty & The Moon' preview, I wouldn't have shown any more interest

then, when 'Behold the Hurrican' came along, I would have thought I'll give that a try then and would have thought, hey, that's what I like (being a Springsteen fan and all)

and after all that I would have listened to the stream and ... gone and bought this stunner of an album

(who is this TGA you all keep talking about?)

Last edited by steady now steady now on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link??   Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link?? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 11:45 am

Quote :

The gaslight anthem
Back to top Go down
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

PostSubject: Re: Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link??   Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link?? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 12:14 pm

steady now steady now wrote:
(being a Springsteen fan and all)

Granted I haven't listened to the album that much at all but I don't get much of a Springsteen vibe from it. Reminds me a lot of some U2 stuff though!

But as I said I haven't listened enough to be fully aware of those things (although the album is growing on me!)
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

PostSubject: Re: Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link??   Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link?? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 1:02 pm

Debonair wrote:
Quote :

The gaslight anthem
he's being ironic, you actually think an admin wouldn't know what TGA means?? lol!
Back to top Go down
StopAndSlideToTheRight
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
StopAndSlideToTheRight

PostSubject: Re: Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link??   Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link?? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 2:00 pm

Daire wrote:

Granted I haven't listened to the album that much at all but I don't get much of a Springsteen vibe from it. Reminds me a lot of some U2 stuff though!

But as I said I haven't listened enough to be fully aware of those things (although the album is growing on me!)

Haha. I was playing it and my dad walks in and says "This sounds like Springsteen!". He's done the same 3 times when I was listening to Gaslight. I don't think Brian's ever going to be able to shake the comparison loose.
Back to top Go down
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
A Contender
A Contender
sandyangryjohnnyormary?

PostSubject: Re: Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link??   Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link?? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 4:17 pm

StopAndSlideToTheRight wrote:
Daire wrote:

Haha. I was playing it and my dad walks in and says "This sounds like Springsteen!". He's done the same 3 times when I was listening to Gaslight. I don't think Brian's ever going to be able to shake the comparison loose.

Am I the only one that doesn't see the Springsteen comparison in any of Brian's work? I love them both, but powerful, raspy vocals is about the only link for me.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link??   Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link?? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 4:22 pm

sandyangryjohnnyormary? wrote:
StopAndSlideToTheRight wrote:
Daire wrote:

Am I the only one that doesn't see the Springsteen comparison in any of Brian's work? I love them both, but powerful, raspy vocals is about the only link for me.

In the case of 'Elsie', my comparison is more with Springsteen's later work, such as on the 'Magic' and 'Working on a Dream' albums.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
stephendgaf
Wooderson
Wooderson
stephendgaf

PostSubject: Re: Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link??   Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link?? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 4:32 pm

wouldn't have went out of my way to listen to it without the connection. if i just happened to it, i would probably like it though.
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link??   Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link?? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 5:50 pm

They dont really sound a like?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link??   Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Would you like the Horrible Crowes without the Gaslight link??
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next