DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

American Slang or The '59 Sound?

Go down 
+30
Steve70s
The Last Jukebox Romeo
jonester
A_Regular
DeathoftheCool
So Lowdown
Jerseyrain
StitchesOnTheRadio
crsmsi
Leeney
Yozzy
BrannThePirate
TGAFAN25
brianisbae
iamarchangel
Jack
thebiglebowski
IFeelBlue
The Major
steph
Reinvent good times
drifter69
Daire
RockNRollOut
Kosburn59
The Angry Johnny Revue
loazis
nebraska
ThisMachineKillsFascists
Harbortown
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

American Slang or The '59 Sound? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 10:37 pm

There are a lot of reasons AS can't touch T59S to me. A lot of it has to do with intangibles and all that, but I was thinking about this and came to this conclusion. The narrator in a lot of the 59S songs is much more jittery, lovelorn, and generally insecure whereas the narrator in most of the AS songs is more confident, celebratory and overall more sure of himself. I relate 100% to songs like Here's Looking At You, Kid or Casanova, Baby! because of the connection and how much I relate to the lyrics.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 12:03 am

The 59 Sound because I love the references to other songs and the nostalgia that runs throughout the record.
Back to top Go down
BrannThePirate
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
BrannThePirate

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 6:28 pm

Both. I can't imagine one without the other now. They compliment each other.
Back to top Go down
Yozzy
A Contender
A Contender
Yozzy

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 8:55 pm

The 59 Sound by quite a bit, American Slang seems to have a more generic sound, which kind of turns me off. I do love the personal and honest lyrics Slang brings to the table though, and some moments on Slang still have me loving the record.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 4:46 am

Yozzy wrote:
The 59 Sound by quite a bit, American Slang seems to have a more generic sound, which kind of turns me off. I do love the personal and honest lyrics Slang brings to the table though, and some moments on Slang still have me loving the record.

yeah i agree... i find it weird that so many reviewers find AS as their most personal or whatever blah blah fuck album, to me 59 Sound was more personal and less generic.
Back to top Go down
Leeney
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Leeney

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 6:41 am

Nope, ur not the only one, I like american slang more too.
Back to top Go down
crsmsi
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 11:41 am

JackStreetcar wrote:
The narrator in a lot of the 59S songs is much more jittery, lovelorn, and generally insecure.

I agree. He's insecure, but at the same time he's got this romantic hopefulness. That's the great thing about that record. I love the the way the songs builds on each other. To me, it's sort of a guide on how to find a place in this world, with all the big dreams and insecurities we all have. I don't get that from American Slang.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 1:09 pm

These albums are pretty much tied in my book. 59 is more youthful, and romantically hopeful like others have said on here, but AS is more mature and reflective. Both contain a lot of the same insecurities but it's a matter of perspective. young, naive, hopeful...or older, reflective, unsure. I found that I related more to 59 when I first found them and was just starting college. Now I'm older so I relate more to AS.

So if I have to choose I'm going with American Slang.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 1:46 pm

Harbortown wrote:
steph wrote:
let's just say i'm team biloxi parish!
What do you mean?

What DO you mean????
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
So Lowdown
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
So Lowdown

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 2:46 pm

Me, I have to say American Slang. I bought both albums on the same day, on vinyl, and my initial reaction was the same as my reaction is today: 59 Sound has the more epic standout tracks, but American Slang is a consistently better album. If I was making a playlist, Every single song from American Slang would make the cut, and I would only have about two thirds of The 59 Sound.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 3:23 pm

I think it's funny how about year ago there was a pretty strong consensus on here that people didn't like American Slang that much and that the 59 Sounds was a masterpiece. How things change. A year from now people will probably be in love with Handwritten Razz
Back to top Go down
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
A_Regular

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 3:53 pm

I really can't compare them. Sink or Swim is The Clash S/T. 59 Sound is Give 'Em Enough Rope. American Slang is London Calling.
Back to top Go down
jonester
A Contender
A Contender
jonester

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 7:21 pm

fifty nine sound , athough i love AS too
Back to top Go down
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Last Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2013 4:22 pm

For me it's 59 Sound and i'm positive on that. But then i'll just put AS on and be blown away and come away thinking "that's their best album!" But it's the same with SOS. For me anyway, it is so hard to choose a favorite album when I love them all so much....

but right now, with Old White Lincoln blasting out, I'll pick 59 sound as my favorite.
Back to top Go down
jonester
A Contender
A Contender
jonester

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2013 5:32 pm

The Last Jukebox Romeo wrote:
For me it's 59 Sound and i'm positive on that. But then i'll just put AS on and be blown away and come away thinking "that's their best album!" But it's the same with SOS. For me anyway, it is so hard to choose a favorite album when I love them all so much....

but right now, with Old White Lincoln blasting out, I'll pick 59 sound as my favorite.
RIGHT , like making a top 10 gaslight list....... I cant do it. Maybe close to doing top 20 but too many great songs for only a top 10 list.
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 10:04 am

the answer is American Slang.
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 1:41 pm

Steve70s wrote:
the answer is American Slang.

Incorrect. Please try again.
Back to top Go down
jonester
A Contender
A Contender
jonester

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 6:08 pm

the answer is 59 sound!
Back to top Go down
Hanswurst
Wooderson
Wooderson
Hanswurst

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 6:54 pm

the answer is both together!
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 10:25 am

Still The '59 Sound by a mile for me. Above any of their albums. It's got a magic about it that the others don't have. Honestly, that no other music has (to me).
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
THE-MIST-OF-THE-COOL
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 3:03 pm

Sink or Swim.

I'm broken and hungry,

hard up and lonely.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com
barkjon
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 6:52 pm

THE-MIST-OF-THE-COOL wrote:
Sink or Swim.

I'm broken and hungry,

hard up and lonely.
+1
Back to top Go down
nebraska
A Contender
A Contender
nebraska

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 7:08 pm

the 59' slang
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 7:20 pm

American Sound
Back to top Go down
barkjon
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 8:14 pm

personally like T59S a bit better than AS, but both are great.

AS has some great sing-a-longs and great vocals/lyrics in general, but production and music-wise, I prefer T59S (or SoS, for that matter).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

American Slang or The '59 Sound?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2