DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

American Slang or The '59 Sound?

Go down 
+30
Steve70s
The Last Jukebox Romeo
jonester
A_Regular
DeathoftheCool
So Lowdown
Jerseyrain
StitchesOnTheRadio
crsmsi
Leeney
Yozzy
BrannThePirate
TGAFAN25
brianisbae
iamarchangel
Jack
thebiglebowski
IFeelBlue
The Major
steph
Reinvent good times
drifter69
Daire
RockNRollOut
Kosburn59
The Angry Johnny Revue
loazis
nebraska
ThisMachineKillsFascists
Harbortown
34 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

American Slang or The '59 Sound? Empty
PostSubject: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 10:33 am

I seem to be alone in thinking that American Slang is better than the 59' Sound.
Back to top Go down
ThisMachineKillsFascists
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ThisMachineKillsFascists

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 11:41 am

I love both, but I'd probably go with 59' Sound.
Back to top Go down
nebraska
A Contender
A Contender
nebraska

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 2:48 pm

last year I love the 59' sound, now, I love american slang, so I think that the next year I will definitely love their next album hahahhaa
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 3:04 pm

Better is a weird concept when you're talking about something like music, but I prefer The '59 Sound.
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 4:41 pm

I hate to be "That Guy" but I prefer SoS over both of them. But out of these two it'd be 59 Sound for me.
Back to top Go down
Kosburn59
Wooderson
Wooderson
Kosburn59

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 4:50 pm

The '59 Sound was kind of this huge opening for me when I first heard it - that's when I started getting more interested in some older stuff, and the lyrics on that album always completely knock me out. I'd definitely have to go with that one, as it was kind of a doorway of sorts, as well as being a phenomenal discovery, but obviously American Slang has it's own distinctness. I love em both. :]
Back to top Go down
RockNRollOut
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
RockNRollOut

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 6:25 pm

I find I enjoy the open feel of The '59 Sounds, yet I appreciate the developed emotion in American Slang.
I saw Brian in an interview saying that he chose not to use so many open chords in American Slang because he wanted to move away from the sound of The '59 Sound, the difference is noticeable however which one I prefer purely depends on my mood hahah.
Back to top Go down
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 8:01 pm

American Slang by far. I absolutely adore it.

I remember at the time it took me ages to get into T59S properly, but there was a period when I genuinely loved it and listened to it every day. Now though, the effect on the opening on Great Expectations and the reverb effect on Brian's vocals really put me off.

Having said that, I don't think I'll love anything they ever put out as much as I do Sink or Swim.
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 8:54 pm

Kosburn59 wrote:
The '59 Sound was kind of this huge opening for me when I first heard it - that's when I started getting more interested in some older stuff, and the lyrics on that album always completely knock me out. I'd definitely have to go with that one, as it was kind of a doorway of sorts, as well as being a phenomenal discovery, but obviously American Slang has it's own distinctness. I love em both. :]
That is indeed what The '59 Sound means to me as well. It opened so many doors and every time I listen to I just get warm and fuzzy inside : D

On a slightly related note, there's so many music I have discovered thanks to Gaslight and this forum. When I look at my last.fm list I see Frank Turner, Fake Problems, Lucero, Chuck Ragan, Hot Water Music, The National, Sam Cooke, Otis Redding, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, The Hold Steady!, Against Me!, The Lawrence Arms, Blacklist Royals, Gallows and the old Bob Dylan stuff. It's safe to say I wasn't that much into music before I came across Gaslight and this forum. I've discovered (or at least ventured to explore) all the artists I've just mentioned because of Gaslight and you guys. That's a huge gift and I'd like to thank you all for that <3

I know I am radiating some hippie vibes at the moment, but I just finished a 1500 word paper on exoticism in post-colonial literature so I am kinda happy. My alarm clock goes off in less than 5 hours though, so I'm out. I love you all and stay lucky.
Back to top Go down
drifter69
Wooderson
Wooderson
drifter69

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 5:51 am

both great albums but gonna choose 59 sound,probs becuase its longer haha
Back to top Go down
http://www.mafiamusic.proboards99.com
Reinvent good times
A Contender
A Contender
Reinvent good times

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 9:44 am

I could live alone happily with each of their full-lengths, but I go
1. Sink or Swim
2. 59 Sound
3. American Slang.

And I stinkin' love American Slang. There's not alot separating each of them.
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 9:49 am

Reinvent good times wrote:
I could live alone happily with each of their full-lengths, but I go
1. Sink or Swim
2. 59 Sound
3. American Slang.

And I stinkin' love American Slang. There's not alot separating each of them.

Couldn't agree with you more.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 5:38 am

I've given this some thought and I realized that my original analysis was a bit hasty.

I don't think I'd say either is necessarily better than the other, seeing as they're really quite different.
'59 Sound has more of the dreamy, nostalgic sound to it whereas American Slang is more straight up rock'n'roll, so they're good for different occassions.

I guess the reason why I have this preference for American Slang, although I do love them both, is because it really struck a chord with me as soon as I heard it, and it was one of the albums that got me through a really unfortunate separation.
'59 Sound took a long time to grow on me.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 5:42 am

i'm not going to argue which is better, but personally, 59 Sound is more original than AS and more memorable. i know AS was supposed to be more of an original sound, but for me it was backwards. AS sounded more like a generic record than 59 sound. who gives a fuck if 59 sound was somewhat derived from earlier sounds, they still put their own spin on it. let's just say i'm team biloxi parish!
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 5:44 am

loazis wrote:
Kosburn59 wrote:
That is indeed what The '59 Sound means to me as well. It opened so many doors and every time I listen to I just get warm and fuzzy inside : D

On a slightly related note, there's so many music I have discovered thanks to Gaslight and this forum. When I look at my last.fm list I see Frank Turner, Fake Problems, Lucero, Chuck Ragan, Hot Water Music, The National, Sam Cooke, Otis Redding, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, The Hold Steady!, Against Me!, The Lawrence Arms, Blacklist Royals, Gallows and the old Bob Dylan stuff. It's safe to say I wasn't that much into music before I came across Gaslight and this forum. I've discovered (or at least ventured to explore) all the artists I've just mentioned because of Gaslight and you guys. That's a huge gift and I'd like to thank you all for that <3

I know I am radiating some hippie vibes at the moment, but I just finished a 1500 word paper on exoticism in post-colonial literature so I am kinda happy. My alarm clock goes off in less than 5 hours though, so I'm out. I love you all and stay lucky.

The Cure???
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 6:05 am

steph wrote:
let's just say i'm team biloxi parish!
What do you mean?

Back to top Go down
The Major
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 9:10 am

Easily the 59 Sound...one of my top 5 albums of all time...American Slang is my least favourite Gaslight album...although it's still a classic and was easily one of the best albums of 2010
Back to top Go down
IFeelBlue
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
IFeelBlue

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 9:43 am

My first love was "The 59 Sound".
Back to top Go down
thebiglebowski
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 11:38 am

59 sound.

Senor has the highest average quality of the songs but it's too short to compete with 59.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 11:16 am

The '59 Sound by a lot for me. It still has that magic quality when I put it on.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
iamarchangel
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 8:26 pm

I'd have to go for the original American Slang over the original The '59 Sound, it has a much more Punk feel to it, and the riffs is awesome. Both are great acoustic, and I couldn't argue in which song I like better.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 10:31 pm

iamarchangel wrote:
I'd have to go for the original American Slang over the original The '59 Sound, it has a much more Punk feel to it, and the riffs is awesome. Both are great acoustic, and I couldn't argue in which song I like better.

Eh?

It seems you're talking about the title tracks, and I'd take T59S over AS by a million miles, it's definitely more punk, and Brian's a bit all over the place on acoustic performances of AS.

Opinions differing greatly haha.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
brianisbae
A Contender
A Contender
brianisbae

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 7:32 pm

The '59 Sound, definitely. I loveeee American Slang, but there's just something about The '59 Sound. Like, I know I'll still be playing it when I'm an old man. It's the album that got me into my favorite band and pretty much changed my life. I have a much deeper connection with it, more than with their other stuff.
Back to top Go down
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 7:51 pm

American Slang by miles. Haven't listened to any track off T59S in ages!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 9:03 pm

PunkRockAbe wrote:
The '59 Sound, definitely. I loveeee American Slang, but there's just something about The '59 Sound. Like, I know I'll still be playing it when I'm an old man. It's the album that got me into my favorite band and pretty much changed my life. I have a much deeper connection with it, more than with their other stuff.

Exactly how I feel. I adore American Slang, and Sink Or Swim, but The '59 Sound is one of my favorite albums of all time. For me it's the perfect album to listen to when I'm happy, or sad, or mad, or whatever else. Don't know what it is, but it just hits me in the best way every time I listen to it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: American Slang or The '59 Sound?   American Slang or The '59 Sound? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

American Slang or The '59 Sound?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next