DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian

Go down 
+11
enola
GraveRobbers
fullcollapse
songwritersonprocess
brianisbae
JJW319
Gaslight23
Jeff
simo
ThisMachineKillsFascists
Bea
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

"Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian Empty
PostSubject: "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian   "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 12:32 pm

Some insight on Brian's writing process, including some of his favorite authors and songwriters:

http://www.writersonprocess.com/2011/02/brian-fallon-the-gaslight-anthem.html
Back to top Go down
ThisMachineKillsFascists
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ThisMachineKillsFascists

PostSubject: Re: "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian   "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 3:09 pm

Very interesting. Smile
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian   "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 4:19 pm

Good interview. There's a lot of neat ones on that site, including Chris Farren. If you're like me and enjoy reading this kind of stuff, the book "Songwriters on Songwriting" is highly recommended too.
Back to top Go down
Jeff
A Contender
A Contender
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian   "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 5:02 pm

I do have to wonder, though: when has Brian ever written something for something else? Because he mentioned doing that, and I was curious when that happened.
Back to top Go down
Gaslight23
Wooderson
Wooderson
Gaslight23

PostSubject: Re: "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian   "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 5:32 pm

I like that he would prefer to make a whole sounding album rather than just hits, i hate listening to albums which don't feel complete
Back to top Go down
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

PostSubject: Re: "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian   "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 8:56 pm

awesome read, especially for songwriters.
Back to top Go down
brianisbae
A Contender
A Contender
brianisbae

PostSubject: Re: "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian   "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 9:16 pm

This is great. I've had writers block for so long, and it's been killing me. Today i started writing more, and i know this is going to help me out a lot
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian   "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 11:08 pm

PunkRockAbe wrote:
This is great. I've had writers block for so long, and it's been killing me. Today i started writing more, and i know this is going to help me out a lot

I'm in the same boat. Haven't written anything for such a long time, and I used to write and record stuff almost everyday. It's weird how just reading something like this interview can be inspiring.
Back to top Go down
songwritersonprocess
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian   "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 8:42 am

Hi--it's Ben, the Songwriters on Process guy who interviewed Brian for the piece. I just want to thank everyone for reading. I have to say that of the 60 or so interviews I've done with songwriters on this site, the one with Brian was probably my favorite. I felt like I was talking to a poet. I am not a songwriter, but there are so many takeaways from that interview for people who are.

Check out the site--there are tons of great interviews there. There's a Facebook page as well. And there are no ads, so this is not a business venture. I just think it's cool to talk to songwriters about their creative process; I have a PhD in English, hence my interest in the writing process.

And I am always up for hearing about great artists who would be a good fit for the site, so shoot me an email if you have someone in mind you'd like to see interviewed. Not necessarily your favorite artist, but someone whose songwriting you admire.

Thanks!
Ben
benjamin@benopipari.com
www.writersonprocess.com
Back to top Go down
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson
fullcollapse

PostSubject: Re: "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian   "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 11:26 am

What a great interview... so many interviews cover the same old crap in the same predictable, condescending ways. This one is extremely well written and gives us a great look into the mind of an incredible man. I couldn't write a song or poem to save my life, but I have a few storylines going and one 200k+ word story/novel under my belt. I love seeing similarities in how I go about things when I read stuff like this... makes me feel a bit more normal!

Jlblue wrote:
I do have to wonder, though: when has Brian ever written something for something else? Because he mentioned doing that, and I was curious when that happened.

That was my first thought. I was like, wait, he's written for others? I need examples!
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

PostSubject: Re: "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian   "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 3:32 pm

thank you Ben for doing the interview! one of the best i've read in a while =)
Back to top Go down
GraveRobbers
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian   "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 4:25 pm

I love Brian's interview and Chris Farren's interview. I've been suffering from writer's block to. I keep writing songs, at least one a day but none are that good, hopefully it will break.

It's pretty weird because exactly how Chris Farren said he wrote, that's how I write. Down to the letter. At least I know I'm not the only one.
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

PostSubject: Re: "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian   "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 4:43 pm

This interview is one of the best interviews I've eve read. There's so much interesting stuff in there that is normally not covered in interviews. And while reading it feels that Brian enjoyed it. Thanks so much Ben for doing this!

Love the part about writing on paper or computer 'cause I tried and carried tons of different notebooks with me because I really, really wanted to create such an amazing notebook you know from lots of artists like Paul Smith from Maximo Park for example. But then I realised that - for a start - I'm not creative at all and most of the times I rather use my iPhone or the computer to store my thoughts ;o)
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
songwritersonprocess
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian   "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 4:50 pm

Thank you everyone for all of the comments on my interview. I have been a huge Gaslight fan for a while, so it was great to talk to him as well. My sense was that he really did enjoy it--there was a lot of laughing on both ends. And as someone with a PhD in English, I was especially excited when he started talking poetry.

All the artists I've interviewed for my site really like talking about their creative process. Thanks again to everyone. It's support like yours that makes me do it. It's certainly not the money, since there are no ads on the site!

Ben
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian   "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 4:54 pm

Quote :
What more becomes the problem is that I'll be writing a group of songs, then stumble upon something that I know is a hit. Then I have to go, "It doesn't fit, I can't use it. I gotta put it away."

Part of me really respects Brian for preserving album integrity. The other part of me is like "record that hit as a stand alone single so we can get more gaslight awesomeness" =D
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian   "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 5:19 pm

I'd like to see you interview someone like Paul Baribeau who seems to write very literally and straightforward, yet the songs are really emotionally powerful.

Also Jakob Dylan would be cool. Brian mentioned him and I agree, he doesn't get enough credit.
Back to top Go down
brianisbae
A Contender
A Contender
brianisbae

PostSubject: Re: "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian   "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 8:17 pm

Imagine a Frank Turner interview :O
Back to top Go down
thecosmickid
Wooderson
Wooderson
thecosmickid

PostSubject: Re: "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian   "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 8:47 pm

PunkRockAbe wrote:
Imagine a Frank Turner interview :O

*like*
Back to top Go down
Jay
A Contender
A Contender
Jay

PostSubject: Re: "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian   "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 9:16 pm

Sick interview. Easily one of the best jobs interviewing brain I've read. Nice work.
Back to top Go down
songwritersonprocess
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Songwriters on Process interview w/ Dave Hause   "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 2:53 pm

Hi All,

It's Ben Opipari, and I'm the Songwriters on Process guy who did the interview with Brian Fallon that was the original subject of this post. Thought maybe some of you would like to read an interview I posted today with his buddy Dave Hause: http://bit.ly/ia9FV1

Enjoy!
Ben
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian   "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 3:21 pm

I love Dave Hause. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
thecosmickid
Wooderson
Wooderson
thecosmickid

PostSubject: Re: "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian   "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 3:28 pm

songwritersonprocess wrote:
Hi All,

It's Ben Opipari, and I'm the Songwriters on Process guy who did the interview with Brian Fallon that was the original subject of this post. Thought maybe some of you would like to read an interview I posted today with his buddy Dave Hause: http://bit.ly/ia9FV1

Enjoy!
Ben
Interesting read
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian   "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 3:42 pm

Amazing website, my night is filled Smile
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian   "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 3:54 pm

It is a great site, I think I have read most of the interviews on there by now.
Back to top Go down
songwritersonprocess
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian   "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 4:04 pm

simo wrote:
It is a great site, I think I have read most of the interviews on there by now.

Thanks! And for those of you who have not seen the site, there are no ads, so I'm not peddling anything. Just some good reading from 75 songwriters since I started the site last summer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian   "Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Songwriters on Process" interview with Brian
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next