DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok)

Go down 
+10
Daire
azlisa
Bea
enola
CluckyB
PFREEZY
Holland
simo
Reinvent good times
steady now steady now
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok) Empty
PostSubject: Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok)   Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok) Icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 6:22 pm

American Slang did NOT make Uncut magazine's 50 best albums of 2010 eventhough it was an 'album of the month' during the year! scratch

That's what really sucks. Assuming the other eleven albums of the month made it, that still leaves thirty-eight albums that leapfrogged American Slang. How dumb. AS only got a mention in a box headed 'bubbling under' (whatever that means) along with a few other albums.

Oh, and one of the best 50 was the Hold Steady's Heaven is Whenever - oh come on, surely that's not better than AS? drunken

Last edited by steady now steady now on Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:19 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Reinvent good times
A Contender
A Contender
Reinvent good times

Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok)   Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 11:18 am

Agreed, no way that Heaven is Whenever is better than AS. Just no way.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok)   Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 1:14 pm

I think even the biggest Hold Steady fans would probably say HIW isn't really that great.
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok)   Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 1:37 pm

yeh HIW is in no way better than American Slang , it is potentially their worst album and basically hasnt moved on in any way sound-wise so Uncut you are wrong.
Back to top Go down
PFREEZY
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok)   Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 1:44 pm

HIW isn't bad it kinda grew on me. I do think it was a far drop from Stay Positive which is my favorite. I don't understand how an album could be an album of the month and not make the list. Makes them look stupid more than anything.
Back to top Go down
http://freezy.tumblr.com
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok)   Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 2:50 pm

I'm sure there were plenty of worse album's on their list than HIW.

Who cares what the critics think? We all know its one of the best albums of the year. Would there really be that many uncut readers who hadn't gotten into the band that chose to do so simply from a end of year list?
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

PostSubject: Re: Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok)   Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 3:30 pm

American Slang also didn't make the NME's Top 75 albums of 2010 - but somehow I'm not too surprised about that.
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2010/11/nmes_top_albums.html
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74

PostSubject: Re: Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok)   Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 4:28 pm

I don;t know this since I live in America but whats the beef with NME?
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok)   Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 6:32 pm

I've just seen that it didn't make Q's top 50 either confused
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok)   Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 7:13 pm

Well they'll probably make my top 2 or so, maybe top 1. It's hard to balance rankings based on albums that came out months ago and awesome stuff that's within the last few weeks.
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

PostSubject: Re: Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok)   Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 5:11 am

who cares about all these lists anyways? as long as the fans of the band and the people who buy their records and go to their shows think it was a great album, there's nothing to worry about.

one of many examples of how messed up these things are (although you know many many more):
we all know that 2010 has been a good year in records, we all have our favourites. but was 'Teenage Dream' from Katy Perry in any of our lists? does that album deserve to be on the top? the industry seems to think so since it's nominated for a Grammy as album of the year... just one thought comes to mind: 'seriously??'
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok)   Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 5:27 pm

I've leafed through MOJO, and their top 50 suck too!

And as for the Grammys, it seems that no matter how good the record, you need to have fairly high sales, or be famous already (look at all of this year''s 'oldies') to get nominated. American Slang should at least have been nominated for (and then win): 'Best New York and New Jersey Themed Guitar Band Rock Album With Rock Vocals'. With over 100 categories, they can surely fit in one more.
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

PostSubject: Re: Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok)   Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 5:42 pm

steady now steady now wrote:
I've leafed through MOJO, and their top 50 suck too!

And as for the Grammys, it seems that no matter how good the record, you need to have fairly high sales, or be famous already (look at all of this year''s 'oldies') to get nominated. American Slang should at least have been nominated for (and then win): 'Best New York and New Jersey Themed Guitar Band Rock Album With Rock Vocals'. With over 100 categories, they can surely fit in one more.
lol!
love that idea and they could easily replace the category
60. Best Regional Mexican Album since there are anyway no nominees ;o)
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok)   Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 12:24 pm

at least they made Clash magazine's top 40 (at no. 27), so Clash is ok

http://www.clashmusic.com/feature/clashs-top-40-albums-of-2010

and they are on their 14 track best of 2010 cover CD

Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok) Outwithabang-cdcover

Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok) Issue-57-cover-280wide_0
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

PostSubject: Re: Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok)   Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok) Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 3:36 pm

they did make the "Rolling Stone's Best Singles of 2010" top 50 list with The Diamond Church Street Choir at number 39:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/68404/239428?RS_show_page=1
"Brian Fallon triangulates doo-wop, Bruce Springsteen and New Jersey emo" Suspect

AS also made SPIN's top 40 at number 36:
http://www.spin.com/gallery/40-best-albums-2010?page=5#main
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok)   Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok) Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 4:01 pm

Bea wrote:
they did make the "Rolling Stone's Best Singles of 2010" top 50 list with The Diamond Church Street Choir at number 39:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/68404/239428?RS_show_page=1
"Brian Fallon triangulates doo-wop, Bruce Springsteen and New Jersey emo" Suspect

AS also made SPIN's top 40 at number 36:
http://www.spin.com/gallery/40-best-albums-2010?page=5#main

maybe the US mags aren't that bad after all Very Happy
Back to top Go down
azlisa
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
azlisa

PostSubject: Re: Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok)   Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok) Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 7:37 pm

My gaslight anthem google alerts have been going off like crazy the last week with random magazines/publications/blogs top music lists and TGA have been on a lot of them!
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/azlisa
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

PostSubject: Re: Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok)   Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 1:55 pm

Didn't make The Sunday Times Top 100 either.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok)   Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 5:20 pm

American Slang is 9th in Classic Rock's 50 Best Albums of 2010.
Back to top Go down
Jeff
A Contender
A Contender
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok)   Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 5:23 pm

9th? Atta boy, Classic Rock.
Back to top Go down
hynesie
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok)   Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 8:43 pm

Bea wrote:
who cares about all these lists anyways? as long as the fans of the band and the people who buy their records and go to their shows think it was a great album, there's nothing to worry about.

one of many examples of how messed up these things are (although you know many many more):
we all know that 2010 has been a good year in records, we all have our favourites. but was 'Teenage Dream' from Katy Perry in any of our lists? does that album deserve to be on the top? the industry seems to think so since it's nominated for a Grammy as album of the year... just one thought comes to mind: 'seriously??'

She comes 3rd in my albums of the year just behind gaslight and eminem. Just an all around great pop record. (sorry to drag off topic, it's just a great album)
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

PostSubject: Re: Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok)   Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok) Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 9:10 am

hynesie wrote:
She comes 3rd in my albums of the year just behind gaslight and eminem. Just an all around great pop record. (sorry to drag off topic, it's just a great album)
good for you. i liked her first album but this one i just can't stand it (although the candy smell on the booklet is original, i'll give her that). have you heard the mtv unplugged session? that's some good music. oh and i have Ke$ha on my pop records list =)
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok)   Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok) Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 10:18 am

Bea wrote:
hynesie wrote:
good for you. i liked her first album but this one i just can't stand it (although the candy smell on the booklet is original, i'll give her that). have you heard the mtv unplugged session? that's some good music. oh and i have Ke$ha on my pop records list =)
Just for the record, I have an old Toy Box single of 'Best Friend' and when you rub the disc you smell strawberries, even after all those years. Just sayin'.

Katy Perry is hawt btw.
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok)   Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok) Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 11:30 am

oldgospelchoir wrote:
I don;t know this since I live in America but whats the beef with NME?

They pick up a band that is okay hype them beyond belief get them playing massive festivals etc for a few motnhs then they are never heard of again its very flavour of the week middle of the road stuff a lot of the good stuff gets left out.
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

PostSubject: Re: Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok)   Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok) Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 11:51 am

loazis wrote:
Just for the record, I have an old Toy Box single of 'Best Friend' and when you rub the disc you smell strawberries, even after all those years. Just sayin'.
i had no idea! Katy Perry is not that original then xD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok)   Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Uncut's, Q's, NME's, MOJO's top 50s SUCK (but Classic Rock's and Clash's are ok)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next