DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

No Surrender

Go down 
+3
Ryan
drifter69
Shrewsbury_Stars
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

No Surrender Empty
PostSubject: No Surrender   No Surrender Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 11:47 pm

I know this has been posted about quite a bit but I wanted to weigh in about Brian's duet with Bruce at Hard Rock Calling for No Surrender.

Simply put, that performance was a thing of beauty and a testament to the trancendent power of music.

It was so obvious that they were having such an amazing time performing together and that joy is just infectious. I seriously get chills watching it.

I really hope that all of the over-done Gaslight/Bruce comparisons don't take away from the experience for Brian because I think that it will be long remebered as a historic moment in music.

Interesting tidbit about the song No Surrender: when finalizing the tracks for Born in the USA, Bruce did not want to include the song because he thought the theme had too much bravado and optimism. It was Little Steven who prevailed upon Bruce and convinced him that it would be a huge mistake to leave the song in the can. Thanks Steve!

NO SURRENDER
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN

We busted out of class had to get away from those fools
We learned more from a three minute record than we ever learned in school
Tonight I hear the neighborhood drummer sound
I can feel my heart begin to pound
You say you're tired and you just want to close your eyes and follow your dreams down

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember
No retreat no surrender
Like soldiers in the winter's night with a vow to defend
No retreat no surrender

Now young faces grow sad and old and hearts of fire grow cold
We swore blood brothers against the wind
I'm ready to grow young again
And hear your sister's voice calling us home across the open yards
Well maybe we could cut someplace of our own
With these drums and these guitars

Blood brothers in the stormy night with a vow to defend
No retreat no surrender

Now on the street tonight the lights grow dim
The walls of my room are closing in
There's a war outside still raging
you say it ain't ours anymore to win
I want to sleep beneath peaceful skies in my lover's bed
with a wide open country in my eyes
and these romantic dreams in my head
Back to top Go down
drifter69
Wooderson
Wooderson
drifter69

No Surrender Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Surrender   No Surrender Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 6:21 am

amazing song,one of my favourites from "born in the usa" along with bobby jean
Back to top Go down
http://www.mafiamusic.proboards99.com
Ryan
A Contender
A Contender
Ryan

No Surrender Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Surrender   No Surrender Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 9:45 am

drifter69 wrote:
amazing song,one of my favourites from "born in the usa" along with bobby jean

Yeah probably my favourite Bruce song really. He done an awesome acoustic performance of it too on the Live album. Was absolutely fantastic. I still haven't seen a decent version on him and Brian doing it though, only the crappy Youtube one. Anyone the good version?
Back to top Go down
curly
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

No Surrender Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Surrender   No Surrender Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 9:59 am

Ryan wrote:

Yeah probably my favourite Bruce song really. He done an awesome acoustic performance of it too on the Live album. Was absolutely fantastic. I still haven't seen a decent version on him and Brian doing it though, only the crappy Youtube one. Anyone the good version?

Quickly searched, but it didn't seem to be on YouTube. Here it is on Pitchfork --> http://pitchfork.com/tv/#/musicvideo/6874-bruce-springsteen-no-surrender-live-columbia

Quote :
It was so obvious that they were having such an amazing time performing together and that joy is just infectious. I seriously get chills watching it.

Isn't that why those of us that love Bruce, love him so much? I am not sure that I have seen anybody play with so much passion, conviction, and absolute joy (all in a single show) than him and considering the fact that I am too young that I never saw him until he was north of 50 and of $100 million... that says a lot about him.

That's one reason why I like TGA so much... they just seem to have so much fun playing and are really down to earth. I promise it has nothing to do with all of the Springsteen comparisons.

If any TGA fans are willing to be adventurous and check out some Bruce that you probably aren't familiar with, start with this bootleg from a show in Passaic, NJ in 1978. It was broadcast over the radio, so the sound quality is excellent and as my first Bruce bootleg it just blew me away. Here is the link --> http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MF4H9V0M

Last edited by curly on Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Perka
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Perka

No Surrender Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Surrender   No Surrender Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 11:09 am

Im definitely going to check this bootleg up, thanks a lot Curly!
Back to top Go down
Johnny99
A Contender
A Contender

No Surrender Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Surrender   No Surrender Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 1:48 pm

yeah the passaic 78 boot is the best.
boston 84 is another good one.
paris 85 also.
Largo 78 is also epic
and the WinterGarden show on the darkness tour is also a killer bootleg.

but the entire 78 tour is fucking insanely awesome.
all of the extended solos, prove it all night especially.
mind blowing.
Back to top Go down
curly
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

No Surrender Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Surrender   No Surrender Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 2:59 pm

Perka wrote:
Im definitely going to check this bootleg up, thanks a lot Curly!

No problem. I hope you enjoy it. Like Johnny99 above mentioned, Bruce is so heavily bootlegged that it is pretty hard to get fans to agree on the definite show, but Passaic 1978 is a pretty common starting point for people. Anyone who does check it out will notice that there are a ton of songs. This is the setlist from the show and the additional tracks are just add-ons from other shows around that time period.

01 Badlands
02 Streets of fire
03 Spirit in the night
04 Darkness on the edge of town
05 Independence day
06 The promised land
07 Prove it all night [With long guitar intro]
08 Racing in the street
09 Thunder road
10 Meeting across The river
11 Jungleland

--- end of first set---
12 Kitty's back
13 Fire
14 Candy's room
15 Because the night
16 Point blank
17 Not fade away
18 She's the one
19 Backstreets
20 Rosalita (Come out tonight)

--- end of second set---

21 4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)
22 Born to run
23 10th avenue freeze-out
24 Detroit Medley
25 Raise your hand

--- end of show---

There are so many sides to Bruce (happens when you've been playing for 40 years), but I don't think that there are many of his fans that don't find these shows from 1978 to be totally epic so I just thought that some people who haven't ever really listened to Springsteen (or only know him from the few songs they play on the radio) might want to hear what helped him achieve the devoted following he has today. Plus it is better than about 90% of anything he has ever officially released. Also, it is free and that is always a good thing. No Surrender Icon_lol

Edit: One other good thing about this show is that it exists on film (though not great quality). Here is the killer performance of Candy's Room from the show --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oTFJhhWW8g
Back to top Go down

No Surrender Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Surrender   No Surrender Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 6:45 pm

whats the best bruce only acoustic bootleg? or is there a download link with bruce doing some of his classic songs?
Back to top Go down
curly
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

No Surrender Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Surrender   No Surrender Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 8:28 pm

pfugly wrote:
whats the best bruce only acoustic bootleg? or is there a download link with bruce doing some of his classic songs?

This is a very popular acoustic recording and the story behind the shows:

11/17/1990 “The Christic Concerts"

Disc 1
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I0VE0B8N

Disc 2
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Q3Z9DARH

This is the soundboard recording of the second Christic Concert November 17,1990 from the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles. The songs played on the first night which were not played on the second Night are on Disc 2 (including the best ever My Father's House)

November 17, 1990, Set List:
Brilliant Disguise / Darkness On The Edge Of Town / Mansion On The Hill / Reason To Believe / Red Headed Woman / 57 Channels / The Wish / Tougher Than The Rest / 10th Avenue Freeze Out / Soul Driver / State Trooper / Nebraska / When The Lights Go Out / Thunder Road / My Hometown / Real World / Highway 61 Revisited / Across The Borderline

Notes: After almost two years off from performing, not including surprise club gigs, and a year of a lot of personal change (he moved to LA, became a father, and broke up the E Street Band), Bruce agreed to do two acoustic shows for the Christic Institute, a public watchdog agency, with Bonnie Raitt and Jackson Browne. Many, many rumors of Bruce's recording activities circulated in the spring and summer of 1990, and many people wondered if Bruce was going to debut any new songs. Between the two nights, six new songs were played. The first night included the debuts of "Red Headed Woman," "When The Lights Go Out," "57 Channels," and "Real World." Other highlights from this show include a slow version on piano of "10th Avenue Freezeout," "Thunder Road" (Bruce forgets the words), and "My Hometown," as well as the acoustic premiere of "Darkness on the Edge of Town." "Real World" is performed on piano, which most fans prefer to the version later released on Human Touch.

The second show for the Christic Institute featured the premieres of "The Wish," a real rarity until the Ghost of Tom Joad Tour and later
released on Tracks, and "Soul Driver," later released on Human Touch. Bruce also played "Tougher Than the Rest" on piano. "When the Lights Go Out" is never played again, but is released on Tracks.

According to an article in the Boston Globe a year later, bootleg tapes of these two shows were so good that Landau and Bruce considered releasing portions of these shows.

Quote :
or is there a download link with bruce doing some of his classic songs?

I don't know what you mean by this. Which songs are you looking for and maybe I can help?

Here is the link to the index where they are all indexed. However it can be kind of a mess to sift through. --> http://btxmp3index.freeforums.org/index.php
Back to top Go down
SmilinSkullRing
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
SmilinSkullRing

No Surrender Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Surrender   No Surrender Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 10:43 pm

Completely agree with the OP.

Also, it's funny the tidbit you include about Bruce and Stevie. He's convinced Bruce of a few great things. Nebraska for example. Bruce didn't think it a good idea to release his demos recorded in his bedroom. Thankfully, Stevie convince him otherwise and hello Nebraska!
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/SmilinSkullRing

No Surrender Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Surrender   No Surrender Icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 2:10 am

curly wrote:
Quote :

I don't know what you mean by this. Which songs are you looking for and maybe I can help?

Here is the link to the index where they are all indexed. However it can be kind of a mess to sift through. --> [url=http://btxmp3index.freeforums.org/index.php
http://btxmp3index.freeforums.org/index.php[/quote[/url][/quote]

thanks for the christic night links. im downloading now. for classic hits, i think what i want to get my hands on are just bruce doing acoustic versions of whatever songs, but in great quality, maybe from radion sessions? doesnt havent to be a specific show or anything.
Back to top Go down
SmilinSkullRing
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
SmilinSkullRing

No Surrender Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Surrender   No Surrender Icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 2:13 am

pfugly wrote:
curly wrote:
Quote :

Here is the link to the index where they are all indexed. However it can be kind of a mess to sift through. --> http://btxmp3index.freeforums.org/index.php[/quote

thanks for the christic night links. im downloading now. for classic hits, i think what i want to get my hands on are just bruce doing acoustic versions of whatever songs, but in great quality, maybe from radion sessions? doesnt havent to be a specific show or anything.
There are awesome shows from the Tom Joad tour and Devils & Dust tour. Also, great compilations from those times. If someone can't hook you up then I should be able to help out sometime soon.
Back to top Go down

No Surrender Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Surrender   No Surrender Icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 2:26 am

SmilinSkullRing wrote:
pfugly wrote:
curly wrote:
Quote :

Here is the link to the index where they are all indexed. However it can be kind of a mess to sift through. --> http://btxmp3index.freeforums.org/index.php[/quote

There are awesome shows from the Tom Joad tour and Devils & Dust tour. Also, great compilations from those times. If someone can't hook you up then I should be able to help out sometime soon.

right. ill check that forum out tomorrow or sunday. i was sort of hoping that there was a specific link or download with the best of his acoustics radio or awesome sounding quality already out there.
Back to top Go down
SmilinSkullRing
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
SmilinSkullRing

No Surrender Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Surrender   No Surrender Icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 2:34 am

pfugly wrote:
SmilinSkullRing wrote:
pfugly wrote:
curly wrote:
Quote :

right. ill check that forum out tomorrow or sunday. i was sort of hoping that there was a specific link or download with the best of his acoustics radio or awesome sounding quality already out there.
Do you use torrents?
Back to top Go down

No Surrender Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Surrender   No Surrender Icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 2:37 am

yes sir.
Back to top Go down
SmilinSkullRing
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
SmilinSkullRing

No Surrender Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Surrender   No Surrender Icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 2:40 am

pfugly wrote:
yes sir.
ma'am. Wink

Here is a Bruce torrent site:
http://jungleland.dnsalias.com/index.php
Back to top Go down

No Surrender Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Surrender   No Surrender Icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 2:43 am

ma'am... yes ma'am. i appreciate this so much, signing up now. is the site all bruce related?
Back to top Go down
SmilinSkullRing
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
SmilinSkullRing

No Surrender Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Surrender   No Surrender Icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 2:48 am

Haha. But you don't need to call me ma'am either.

Yeah, it's all Bruce-related. Some torrents might not have any seeders, but if you ask the uploader nicely they will either start seeding or re-up.
Back to top Go down

No Surrender Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Surrender   No Surrender Icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 10:31 am

most the torrents i check out have files that are flac files. is there a way to convert to mp3? i believe, last time i tried at least, that flac doesnt work with itunes?
Back to top Go down
curly
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

No Surrender Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Surrender   No Surrender Icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 11:42 am

pfugly wrote:

Yeah, Jungleland is good for Bruce-only torrents. I just assume people don't do that b/c I can barely figure it out. No Surrender Icon_lol

There are some good sounding acoustic shows and I am sure there is a compilation out there, but I can't think of any show he did that was broadcast over the radio or something that would make the sound quality excellent. The Storytellers episode he did for VH1 was acoustic, so perhaps there is a rip of that somewhere. I can look later.

I appreciate his acoustic work, but I am more about the E Street Band, so I am not the best source.
Back to top Go down
SmilinSkullRing
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
SmilinSkullRing

No Surrender Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Surrender   No Surrender Icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 4:09 pm

pfugly wrote:
most the torrents i check out have files that are flac files. is there a way to convert to mp3? i believe, last time i tried at least, that flac doesnt work with itunes?
Ah, sorry. I wasn't even thinking about that. I have a program that will allow you to convert from flac to mp3 if you're interested. I basically just did a google search that said something like, "free converter flac to mp3." That should help you out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

No Surrender Empty
PostSubject: Re: No Surrender   No Surrender Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

No Surrender
Page 1 of 1