DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is it a bit much.....

Go down 
+12
steph
stayhungry
loazis
Bea
RobertODonnell
TGAFAN25
Ryan
steady now steady now
DaveSavedTheDay
sidekicksuicide
kieran
IKeeptheDiner
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
IKeeptheDiner
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
IKeeptheDiner

Is it a bit much..... Empty
PostSubject: Is it a bit much.....   Is it a bit much..... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 2:32 pm

With it seeming like the band is becoming openly bitter about the comparison to Springsteen (and the E Street Band!) what do you think of it? I hate to sound like I'm trying to kiss ass, but I've never quite seen all that much Springsteen with the guys. I discussed this with my brother in his mid-20's who is such a Bruce fan, hes seen him more than he is years old. We'll leave it at that. Anyway, he doesn't really see much in them except the fact they're from Jersey. Sure Brian used to write in a narrative way, but so many other songwriters do it! Craig Finn is more similar then Brian is most of the time. I'm a Springsteen fan and a Gaslight fan, but I too think it's time for people to (recognize) that Gaslight is there own band, just playing rock and roll music.

Sorry if anyone gets mad, I'm not out to anger people, just needed to vent and thought this could bring out a good discussion. Afterall, this is a discussion forum, right? haha.
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: Is it a bit much.....   Is it a bit much..... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 2:41 pm

I think some of the guys have said they get lumped in with the Springsteen comparisons purely because of the Jersey connection. Coupled with the fact they have played together.

That said there is no denying the Springsteen refrences within a good chunk of the lyrics.

Also I dont think the band are that bitter they just wont to be recognised for their own merit not some comparison.
Back to top Go down
sidekicksuicide
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
sidekicksuicide

PostSubject: Re: Is it a bit much.....   Is it a bit much..... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 2:55 pm

When you put the lyrics "No surrender, my Bobby Jean" in a song, that'll bring some comparison.
Back to top Go down
IKeeptheDiner
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
IKeeptheDiner

PostSubject: Re: Is it a bit much.....   Is it a bit much..... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 3:03 pm

The direct lyrical references are one thing. There's reference to Dylan and the Clash as well. But I was talking about how people (media) are trying to dig deeper than what's really there and it seems like they're getting lost in the process.
Back to top Go down
DaveSavedTheDay
A Contender
A Contender
DaveSavedTheDay

PostSubject: Re: Is it a bit much.....   Is it a bit much..... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 3:18 pm

The comparison comes from embodying the same spirit. They have the same soul in the songs, the same feeling and power and the "truth" within them. At least, that's what it is for me. I actually think that some of the more hardcore fans that are like "He's not Bruce Springsteen >:O" are taking a bit too literal.

There's cases of being blind on both sides of this arguement.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scheponik.com
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Is it a bit much.....   Is it a bit much..... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 2:30 am

DaveSavedTheDay wrote:
The comparison comes from embodying the same spirit. They have the same soul in the songs, the same feeling and power and the "truth" within them.

I couldn't have put it better.

Brian's stage persona is also very much like Bruce's, incl. the story telling. And lyrically, Brian and Bruce are often hard to tell apart. Hence, it's no so much about what they actually sound like (because the bands don't sound that alike, sax and all).

Last edited by steady now steady now on Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Ryan
A Contender
A Contender
Ryan

PostSubject: Re: Is it a bit much.....   Is it a bit much..... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 7:23 am

steady now steady now wrote:
DaveSavedTheDay wrote:
The comparison comes from embodying the same spirit. They have the same soul in the songs, the same feeling and power and the "truth" within them.

I couldn't have put it better.

Brian's stage persona is also very much like Bruce's, incl. the story telling. And lyrically, Brian and Bruce are often hard to tell apart. Hence, it's no so much about what they actually sound like (because the bands don't sound that alike, sax and all).

Gaslight should recruit Clarence Clemence!
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: Is it a bit much.....   Is it a bit much..... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 9:29 am

i think the band that gaslight anthem sounds most like musically is the replacements.... i agree they dont really sound like bruce, but do embody the samme soul/spirit
Back to top Go down
RobertODonnell
Wooderson
Wooderson
RobertODonnell

PostSubject: Re: Is it a bit much.....   Is it a bit much..... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 4:36 pm

1) They don't sound like the E Street Band (you can't even come close with just a quartet, obviously)
2) Brian's voice doesn't sound like Bruce's, or at least not as much as people pretend. Just listen to their voices together in the Hyde Park "No Surrender" video.

The references to his songs are really the only connection. What I don't get is reviewers saying things like "They sound like a Springsteen cover band." Maybe actually listening to Springsteen would enlighten them a bit more.
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

PostSubject: Re: Is it a bit much.....   Is it a bit much..... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 8:22 pm

i've never thought they sounded like Springsteen... then again, i'm not a big Springsteen fan, i've only heard a couple of records... but i honestly believe that bands, specially young bands, need to come from somewhere: at first, they obviously sound like their predecesors, they take bits of the music they've listened to all their lifes and pieces of their favourites artists, but as time goes by they start getting a more defined sound, like AS. and this band has so many different influences that it's just stupid keeping the comparaisons this one guy... i bet that if they weren't from NJ, there wouldn't be so many buzz about this matter...
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: Is it a bit much.....   Is it a bit much..... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 8:25 pm

I get the comparison eventhough I am not a regular Springsteen listener (got a few records of him and a live album with the band after discovering TGA). It has some sort of vibe to it, something grand, big, but yet intimate. Something like that =P
Back to top Go down
stayhungry
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Is it a bit much.....   Is it a bit much..... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 9:34 pm

i sometimes get the comparison in songs like film noir (towards the end, brian sounds like old springsteen). but honestly, i don't see why everyone lingers on the comparison. i think they should be taken for what they are: an awesome band who admires MANY bands and artists (bruce included) but who has a sound and style that is amazing on its own
Back to top Go down
IKeeptheDiner
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
IKeeptheDiner

PostSubject: Re: Is it a bit much.....   Is it a bit much..... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 2:43 am

I'm not saying theres no comparison. But just the media needs to take Harrys advice and listen to some Springsteen records. And also while Bruce has enough soul/energy to power the east coast, there are other bands like Pearl Jam that give the same "umph" every night.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Is it a bit much.....   Is it a bit much..... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 2:50 pm

i think it's just lazy journalism. and i'd be bitter, too, if i had to answer the same damn question every time i did an interview. it's too bad all the interviews can't be done by people that are fans of the band. i bet they'd be more interesting.
Back to top Go down
Little Eden
Wooderson
Wooderson
Little Eden

PostSubject: Re: Is it a bit much.....   Is it a bit much..... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 3:11 pm

steph wrote:
i think it's just lazy journalism. and i'd be bitter, too, if i had to answer the same damn question every time i did an interview. it's too bad all the interviews can't be done by people that are fans of the band. i bet they'd be more interesting.

I think this pretty much sums it up. I think that could be why Brian has started rating the journalists who interview him/them on his blog. While there is undeniable influence, it comes to the point where it's like "Okay, seriously, I have to answer this...again?!"
Back to top Go down
Philo
Wooderson
Wooderson
Philo

PostSubject: Re: Is it a bit much.....   Is it a bit much..... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 3:14 pm

Personally i feel the guys do incorprate many of the blue collar/working man elements of many Springsteen songs and the characters of his lyrics though they are often compared to him due to their place of origin.

However there are a few songs by TGA which do sound like Springsteen songs, personally i feel 'Red at Night' and 'The Navesink Banks' are kinda reminiscint of the 'Nebraska' LP. Also 'The Diamond Church Street Choir' sounds very Springsteen-esque, but this is just my own opinion
Back to top Go down
Little Eden
Wooderson
Wooderson
Little Eden

PostSubject: Re: Is it a bit much.....   Is it a bit much..... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 3:16 pm

at the same time, I do admit to describing them as "Bruce Springsteen and Joe Strummer's musical lovechild" to my friends who aren't familiar with their music. Not that my musically challenged friends even know who Bruce and Joe are...
Back to top Go down
Philo
Wooderson
Wooderson
Philo

PostSubject: Re: Is it a bit much.....   Is it a bit much..... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 3:30 pm

Little Eden wrote:
Not that my musically challenged friends even know who Bruce and Joe are...

Have the exact same problem, many of my friends haven't heard of The Clash, Bob Dylan or even Tom Petty nevermind Bruce!
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Is it a bit much.....   Is it a bit much..... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 3:36 pm

Little Eden wrote:
at the same time, I do admit to describing them as "Bruce Springsteen and Joe Strummer's musical lovechild" to my friends who aren't familiar with their music. Not that my musically challenged friends even know who Bruce and Joe are...

LAZY MUSIC RECOMMENDATION! that should be a strike against you here...

just kidding!
Back to top Go down
Little Eden
Wooderson
Wooderson
Little Eden

PostSubject: Re: Is it a bit much.....   Is it a bit much..... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 3:40 pm

Philo wrote:
Little Eden wrote:
Not that my musically challenged friends even know who Bruce and Joe are...

Have the exact same problem, many of my friends haven't heard of The Clash, Bob Dylan or even Tom Petty nevermind Bruce!

If it's not top 40, forgettaboutit. I admit to being the same way until I switched it my altrock radio station and TGA changed my life (no exageeration). I'm trying to educate my friends...but I fear there may be no hope Sad
Back to top Go down
Little Eden
Wooderson
Wooderson
Little Eden

PostSubject: Re: Is it a bit much.....   Is it a bit much..... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 3:41 pm

steph wrote:
Little Eden wrote:

just kidding!

I repent! I repent! I promise to change my lazy ways!!!!
Back to top Go down
Little Eden
Wooderson
Wooderson
Little Eden

PostSubject: Re: Is it a bit much.....   Is it a bit much..... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 3:49 pm

Little Eden wrote:
steph wrote:
Little Eden wrote:

just kidding!

I repent! I repent! I promise to change my lazy ways!!!!

I know I could/should mention bands like Against Me!, but when you're trying to describe your favorite band to a bunch of people who only listen to Drake/Ke$ha/Justin Beiber...I think Springsteen is even pushing it.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Is it a bit much.....   Is it a bit much..... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 3:52 pm

yeah, thats tough. i'd probly describe them by what they are not. "they don't use autotune...no godawful electronic beats...nope, no lyrics about brushing their teeth with jack daniel's...get this, they actually play their instruments...and they've never done a cameo with Katy Perry or Snoop Dogg...are you getting the picture?"
Back to top Go down
Little Eden
Wooderson
Wooderson
Little Eden

PostSubject: Re: Is it a bit much.....   Is it a bit much..... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 3:58 pm

steph wrote:
yeah, thats tough. i'd probly describe them by what they are not. "they don't use autotune...no godawful electronic beats...nope, no lyrics about brushing their teeth with jack daniel's...get this, they actually play their instruments...and they've never done a cameo with Katy Perry or Snoop Dogg...are you getting the picture?"

you're painting a beautiful picture there (except I actually liked Katy Perry's debut album...but if she tried to play Warped Tour again with the shit she's putting out now she would get beer bottles thrown at her)

I think somebody on this forum said something equally beautiful:
clueless friend: What is The Gaslight Anthem?
me: better than what you listen to.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Is it a bit much.....   Is it a bit much..... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 4:02 pm

i don't know, the way she flaunts the t&a, i'm pretty sure the skater boys @ warped tour would put up with the aural rape-age for the pleasure of drooling over her. heck, i can't take my eyes off her sometimes, partly cause of the massive cleavage, but mostly for the atrocious food-themed outfits.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is it a bit much.....   Is it a bit much..... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is it a bit much.....
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: The Gaslight Anthem :: Discussion About The Band-
Jump to: