DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!

Go down 
+47
flannel
Shrewsbury_Stars
benbenben
IKeeptheDiner
Suitcases
Stalls_Standing
divoz
dolan
rhg5010
Vibes
stupendoussven
andy.mac
Izzy Eviel
simo
Stevearm
loazis
JerseyDevil
borrowedcar
Holland
stayhungry
steph
Asleepontheforestfloor
Jack
Casey
Reinvent good times
Down by the Mersey
xstevenbx
saint
Ryan
drifter69
kieran
thecosmickid
Jay
MCStevepants
ral
ktp
Daire
ksupilot
DaveSavedTheDay
bobbyjames
TGAFAN25
stephendgaf
CluckyB
Luca Chinaski
Prisoner
Palmer89
steady now steady now
51 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
IKeeptheDiner
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
IKeeptheDiner

'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 8:56 pm

If they wrote Cowgirls in the SoS , SatQ era. Thats the closest I can get to it. It gives the same vibe as Cowgirls live. I think on record it will pack a bit more of a punch then Cowgirls on the record.

Thats a lot of cowgirls.
Back to top Go down
stephendgaf
Wooderson
Wooderson
stephendgaf

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 9:28 pm

COWGIRLS.
Back to top Go down
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 9:32 pm

eugh. Sad
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 9:48 pm

Daire wrote:
eugh. Sad

Don't like all the Cowgirls comparisons? Lol, I don't know, I thought Bring It On was great. Just needs a better title, which it obviously won't get at this point.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Suitcases
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 10:10 pm

Yea, it's a great song, judging by only hearing it once, but I guess it's fair to compare it to Cowgirls. I think I remember the chorus as, "Wait a minute, Wait a minute."
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 1:00 am

I don't how after hearing it one time live where you can't really hear everything like it's gonna be on the record you can say that it sounds like ANYTHING....

it could be entirely different on the record.... I loved it live, but I don't see anyway I oculd really make a comparison to anything after hearing it once live
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 3:29 pm

I really like the song now, it's really anthemic. Can't wait to hear it live and 'whoah' along

Definitely a grower
Back to top Go down
Suitcases
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 5:25 pm

rkirkpatrick25 wrote:
I don't how after hearing it one time live where you can't really hear everything like it's gonna be on the record you can say that it sounds like ANYTHING....

it could be entirely different on the record.... I loved it live, but I don't see anyway I oculd really make a comparison to anything after hearing it once live

Haha usually bands wait to change the tempo of a song after everybody's already listened to it on the cd, to make it different.
Back to top Go down
benbenben
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
benbenben

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 9:48 am

It has grown on me a lot since the first listen.

Once you get your head round the fact that it's different, it's great! Same with all bands I guess.
Back to top Go down
http://www.benbenbenblogblogblog.blogspot.com
MCStevepants
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
MCStevepants

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 7:54 pm

The "I called for my___ but my ____ had died" lines are so powerful. Really starting to love this song.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 3:01 am

Suitcases wrote:
Yea, it's a great song, judging by only hearing it once, but I guess it's fair to compare it to Cowgirls. I think I remember the chorus as, "Wait a minute, Wait a minute."

Ehhh that was more of a bridge. The chorus started like...

Then give me the fever that just won't break
And give me the children you don't wanna raise

The "Wait a minute" part was kind of later in the song, and it wasn't repeated if I recall correctly.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2014 2:41 pm

Bumping this thread because I just listened to the Pulp song "Like a Friend" and the end of it reminded me a lot of American Slang. Listen at the 4 minute and 9 second mark and see if you agree. Great song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP84AsBX2yA
Back to top Go down
flannel
A Contender
A Contender
flannel

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2014 2:55 pm

wow
yes
and apparently it's on the soundtrack to a film called "Great Expectations"
Back to top Go down
Aregular_89
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2014 3:00 pm

Dude what a catch. Even the guitar tones.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2014 3:26 pm

Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:
Bumping this thread because I just listened to the Pulp song "Like a Friend" and the end of it reminded me a lot of American Slang. Listen at the 4 minute and 9 second mark and see if you agree. Great song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP84AsBX2yA
And it's on the soundtrack to a movie called Great expectations. Ha.
Back to top Go down
Aregular_89
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2014 3:30 pm

I'd chalk this one up to coincidence though.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2014 3:35 pm

It even sounds better than American Slang. Such a great production, very organic unlike the hURR NO OPEN CHORDS mindset on AS.
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2014 3:38 pm

Aregular_89 wrote:
I'd chalk this one up to coincidence though.  

As Brian has said, there's only so many notes that exist, they're bound to be combined in similar ways by different people. Then there's that axis of awesome website Brian talked about at the Crossroads show that shows all the songs that have the same chord progressions and what not.
Back to top Go down
Aregular_89
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2014 3:47 pm

Harbortown wrote:
It even sounds better than American Slang. Such a great production, very organic unlike the hURR NO OPEN CHORDS mindset on AS.

Do you even like Gaslight dude haha
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2014 3:56 pm

Aregular_89 wrote:
Harbortown wrote:

no
Back to top Go down
33RPMHero
Wooderson
Wooderson
33RPMHero

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2014 8:46 pm

Harbortown wrote:
Aregular_89 wrote:
Harbortown wrote:

no

lies
Back to top Go down
Rizz
A Contender
A Contender
Rizz

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 1:48 am

He loves the gaslamp anthem
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5