DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sink Or Swim: Test Press

Go down 
+2
e7c
PFREEZY
6 posters
AuthorMessage
PFREEZY
Wooderson
Wooderson

Sink Or Swim: Test Press Empty
PostSubject: Sink Or Swim: Test Press   Sink Or Swim: Test Press Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 4:58 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/GASLIGHT-ANTHEM-TEST-PRESS-vinyl-record-water-punk-OOP_W0QQitemZ260559065825QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_on_Vinyl?hash=item3caa87d2e1

I don't plan on bidding, but I'm sure someone here is interested.
Back to top Go down
http://freezy.tumblr.com
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: Sink Or Swim: Test Press   Sink Or Swim: Test Press Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 8:22 pm

I checked my TP and it is the same markings*, so I think this is legit!

*I checked my other 4 copies of SOS and it all checks out, the markings match my Black and White w/ Splatter (both from Hellbent Records) but do not match my clear or solid white (Gunner Records)... ergo, this is a TP from the first pressing of SOS!
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: Sink Or Swim: Test Press   Sink Or Swim: Test Press Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 8:24 pm

this was the first time that I had ever checked the markings on my TP, I was always worried that it was a latter pressing TP (I wouldn't have been disappointed, just bummed).
Back to top Go down
divoz
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
divoz

PostSubject: Re: Sink Or Swim: Test Press   Sink Or Swim: Test Press Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 9:54 pm

his description scares me. He said he would rate the vinyl good to very good. For those who collect records, we know good means god awful
Back to top Go down
PFREEZY
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Sink Or Swim: Test Press   Sink Or Swim: Test Press Icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 12:03 am

If you are buying this I don't think playing it is your main concern.
Back to top Go down
divoz
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
divoz

PostSubject: Re: Sink Or Swim: Test Press   Sink Or Swim: Test Press Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 2:05 am

No but condition of a record you are gonna pay 100 bucks or more for is pretty important
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: Sink Or Swim: Test Press   Sink Or Swim: Test Press Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 7:21 pm

I would still buy a SOS TP if it had a giant whole in the middle of it, just so I could have that piece of history!
Back to top Go down
divoz
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
divoz

PostSubject: Re: Sink Or Swim: Test Press   Sink Or Swim: Test Press Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 4:04 pm

yeah i might bid on it, it loos like a chip might be out of the record, i msged the seller and asked if it runs into the grooves, just waiting for a reply
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Sink Or Swim: Test Press   Sink Or Swim: Test Press Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 5:43 pm

e7c wrote:
I would still buy a SOS TP if it had a giant whole in the middle of it, just so I could have that piece of history!

That's the bit I don't get. Does the test pressing actually pre-date the release of the SoS CD? What makes it a piece of history? As far as I am concerned, the SoS Demo CD-R is more historic as it came before all other TGA releases, in whatever medium.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
xstevenbx
Wooderson
Wooderson
xstevenbx

PostSubject: Re: Sink Or Swim: Test Press   Sink Or Swim: Test Press Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 7:17 pm

steady now steady now wrote:
e7c wrote:

That's the bit I don't get. Does the test pressing actually pre-date the release of the SoS CD? What makes it a piece of history? As far as I am concerned, the SoS Demo CD-R is more historic as it came before all other TGA releases, in whatever medium.
A test press is what the pressing plant sends to the label to make sure that everything is ok. The label looks it over and if everything is alright then they press the record. they're just important for collectors since there's so few of them made.
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: Sink Or Swim: Test Press   Sink Or Swim: Test Press Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 8:43 pm

steady now steady now wrote:
e7c wrote:

First off, CDs are so easily duplicated that there is no way I would ever pay more than the MSRP for any cd. There is so much more work that goes into making a record that is just some how more special, I will pay more for a second pressing of SOS then I would for a CD.

Secondly, it is easy to determine if a record is rare or not. Color variation, etchings, art work etc... while it near impossible to tell if a cd is truly rare or just a CD-r with a sticker on it.

Third, cd production is in the tens of thousands. SOS on vinly has only 6100 copies in 5 pressings. I know that sounds like a lot, but the first pressing is only 600 in two colors (500 in Red/White Splatter and 100 in black) (first pressings are usually the only one worth paying much money for).

As rare as a first pressing is, a test pressing is even more rare! A test pressing is made after the metal mold of the record has been produced and sent to a few people (the band, the record label, the manager etc...). Sometimes there is just 1 TP, other times there are 20 or more. As for SOS 1st Pressing TP, I was told that there were 5 copies made. 1 was for Hell Bent Records (which I now own) and the other 4 went to the guys in the band.

I know this won't make sense to people that don't listen/collect vinyl, but a cd is just a piece of plastic, a record has a soul.
Back to top Go down
xstevenbx
Wooderson
Wooderson
xstevenbx

PostSubject: Re: Sink Or Swim: Test Press   Sink Or Swim: Test Press Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 12:55 am

e7c wrote:
a cd is just a piece of plastic, a record has a soul.

well said. though i'd definitely take an original gaslight anthem demo cdr any day!
Back to top Go down
colmillionaire
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
colmillionaire

PostSubject: Re: Sink Or Swim: Test Press   Sink Or Swim: Test Press Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 1:30 am

can't believe this doesn't have a single bid yet. guess people are gonna try to snipe it
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/Colmillionaire
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Sink Or Swim: Test Press   Sink Or Swim: Test Press Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 4:55 am

e7c wrote:
First off, CDs are so easily duplicated that there is no way I would ever pay more than the MSRP for any cd. There is so much more work that goes into making a record that is just some how more special, I will pay more for a second pressing of SOS then I would for a CD.

Secondly, it is easy to determine if a record is rare or not. Color variation, etchings, art work etc... while it near impossible to tell if a cd is truly rare or just a CD-r with a sticker on it.

Third, cd production is in the tens of thousands. SOS on vinly has only 6100 copies in 5 pressings. I know that sounds like a lot, but the first pressing is only 600 in two colors (500 in Red/White Splatter and 100 in black) (first pressings are usually the only one worth paying much money for).

As rare as a first pressing is, a test pressing is even more rare! A test pressing is made after the metal mold of the record has been produced and sent to a few people (the band, the record label, the manager etc...). Sometimes there is just 1 TP, other times there are 20 or more. As for SOS 1st Pressing TP, I was told that there were 5 copies made. 1 was for Hell Bent Records (which I now own) and the other 4 went to the guys in the band.

I know this won't make sense to people that don't listen/collect vinyl, but a cd is just a piece of plastic, a record has a soul.

Thanks, e7c, for your detailed reply, which is quite a good intro to vinyl collecting. Maybe I'll learn as the years (or months?) go by.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: Sink Or Swim: Test Press   Sink Or Swim: Test Press Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 8:15 pm

I want to buy this record so bad! but I would feel like a jerk since I already have one. In some other post I made a reference to how much it pissed me off that all of the best art is actually owned by private collectors. Owning more than one copy of SOS TP = jerk move.

...I want to be a jerk.
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: Sink Or Swim: Test Press   Sink Or Swim: Test Press Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 9:34 pm

wow! with one minute left it was $178 and then with 30 seconds left it was $216 and finally sold for $338.00
Back to top Go down
xstevenbx
Wooderson
Wooderson
xstevenbx

PostSubject: Re: Sink Or Swim: Test Press   Sink Or Swim: Test Press Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 9:38 pm

yeah, i definitely lost this :'(
Back to top Go down
colmillionaire
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
colmillionaire

PostSubject: Re: Sink Or Swim: Test Press   Sink Or Swim: Test Press Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 9:43 pm

338.00, wow. thought it'd go for more.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/Colmillionaire
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: Sink Or Swim: Test Press   Sink Or Swim: Test Press Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 1:07 am

anyone here end up with it?
Back to top Go down
PFREEZY
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Sink Or Swim: Test Press   Sink Or Swim: Test Press Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 12:54 pm

I figured about 250 so I was a little under.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sink Or Swim: Test Press   Sink Or Swim: Test Press Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sink Or Swim: Test Press
Page 1 of 1