DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Banned from www.DimeStoreSaints.com

Go down 
+4
divoz
steady now steady now
ann_mac913
e7c
8 posters
AuthorMessage
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

Banned from www.DimeStoreSaints.com Empty
PostSubject: Banned from www.DimeStoreSaints.com   Banned from www.DimeStoreSaints.com Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 2:30 pm

Today I banned a new member from www.DimeStoreSaints.com the user, TGAhorray, had posted 4 messages that all discussed ordering a Gelaskin. I hope that no one clicked on the link as I believe it may have been a phishing attempt and of course, I have gone through and deleted all of his messages.

So, here are a few things to keep in mind:

1. We (the admins, moderators and good standing users of DSS) do not vouch for any link that takes you away our site. This includes even the links on the master audio list, I believe they are all fine, but it is the internet, anything could happen.

2. Be careful giving out your credit card number or personal information. 99% of all TGA items can be purchased through reputable and established businesses (iTunes, vinylcollective.com, interpunk.com, ebay etc...)

3. There are somethings out there that cannot be purchased through mainstream stores, so if you are going to go independent ask someone here before purchasing from them. Many of us (myself, Stalls, Geezfools come to mind right away) are serious collectors, and I am sure that we all have our own list of trusted sources.

4. If you see a post that seems questionable or seems spam-like (TGAhooray's posts were obvious spam/phishing attempts) post a message after it calling it out. Help to notify others that a danger is there.

I think this should help to keep this forum a safe, fun and friendly forum. Take care and be safe.
Back to top Go down
ann_mac913
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
ann_mac913

PostSubject: Re: Banned from www.DimeStoreSaints.com   Banned from www.DimeStoreSaints.com Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 3:52 pm

Thanks for the tips...if you get a chance, can u list some of the
reputable (lesser known) sources. Figured I'd commit those to
memory!
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Banned from www.DimeStoreSaints.com   Banned from www.DimeStoreSaints.com Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 4:58 pm

Your efforts and warnings are much appreciated.  However, the forum still allows peolpe to post as guests.  I know this has not been a major problem in the past, but I am wondering if the forum should switch to members only posting, at least so we don't get swamped when the new album hype starts.

Last edited by steady now steady now on Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
divoz
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
divoz

PostSubject: Re: Banned from www.DimeStoreSaints.com   Banned from www.DimeStoreSaints.com Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 7:25 pm

Members only is a great idea, even tho i do more reading than posting
Back to top Go down
PFREEZY
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Banned from www.DimeStoreSaints.com   Banned from www.DimeStoreSaints.com Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 11:17 pm

ann_mac913 wrote:
Thanks for the tips...if you get a chance, can u list some of the
reputable (lesser known) sources. Figured I'd commit those to
memory!

Here is my list of legit dudes/gals

http://www.deadformat.net/tradelist/PFREEZY&view=info

And congrats on the ban, good to see mods being hard asses. No one needs their computer to crash trying to download some live gaslight sets.
Back to top Go down
http://freezy.tumblr.com
ann_mac913
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
ann_mac913

PostSubject: Re: Banned from www.DimeStoreSaints.com   Banned from www.DimeStoreSaints.com Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 11:58 am

thanks for the list
Back to top Go down
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: Banned from www.DimeStoreSaints.com   Banned from www.DimeStoreSaints.com Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 7:23 am

I like the idea of the forum being open to people expressing themselves, members or non-members, but that is my own personal opinion. If you all agree, then the switch is easy to make. But in this case, the guy in question was actually a member ... so ... what does that solve?

And thanks to e7c on tackling this problem,

kropotkin

And the title of this thread made me think of this song, a classic!

Peter & The Test Tube Babies - Banned From The Pubs!
Back to top Go down
https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com
JoshRaymond
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JoshRaymond

PostSubject: Re: Banned from www.DimeStoreSaints.com   Banned from www.DimeStoreSaints.com Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 2:10 pm

steady now steady now wrote:
Your efforts and warnings are much appreciated. However, the forum still allows peope to post as guests. I know this has not been a major problem in the past, but I am wondering if the forum should switch to members only posting, at least so we don't get swamped when the new album hype starts.

i agree
Back to top Go down
Palmer89
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Banned from www.DimeStoreSaints.com   Banned from www.DimeStoreSaints.com Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 4:27 pm

I don't mind non-members posting, as long as it isn't all the time and with the new album a lot of single posts by non members may get a little tiresome.

The forum since the new album info and UK dates announced has picked us abit, had 30/40 people on at a time at some points over the past few days, most have been guests though.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Banned from www.DimeStoreSaints.com   Banned from www.DimeStoreSaints.com Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 4:59 pm

Palmer89 wrote:
I don't mind non-members posting, as long as it isn't all the time and with the new album a lot of single posts by non members may get a little tiresome.

The forum since the new album info and UK dates announced has picked us abit, had 30/40 people on at a time at some points over the past few days, most have been guests though.

It's great that anyone can read the board, but when non-members post, they get into all kinds of a muddle, like 'why did the link I added not get posted'. Also, with a member, there is a way of following things up, such as in a pm.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: Banned from www.DimeStoreSaints.com   Banned from www.DimeStoreSaints.com Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 7:16 pm

I am still against the "must be a member to post policy" I think all of the arguments for it are well thought out and valid but most we do have ways around it.

First off, this forum is actually really easy to police up. In its 18ish months of existence we have only banned 2 people (and I can't remember why we banned the first guy) and both were members. but just because someone isn't registered doesn't mean that we can't do anything, we do have the ability to ban people by screen name, email address or IP address.

Next, if this place does start to get out of control as the new album approaches we may just have to reach out to some of you guys and make some more admins/mods.

and at the heart of it, I am just plain against making people register to post. I know how much I hate having to register just to leave comments on different places and often I choose not to go through the registering process and thus do not post my comments.
Back to top Go down
Palmer89
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Banned from www.DimeStoreSaints.com   Banned from www.DimeStoreSaints.com Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 7:32 pm

Agreed on the final point, I guess most places I am registered to forumwise are quite large and thus kinda need the registration process.

I'm quite weird about things looking clean as well and the whole 'guest' profile looks a bit off compared to members but thats just petty issues I can get over!

I'm not sure the forum will get THAT busy come the album, what was this place like around the release of 59' sound?
Back to top Go down
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: Banned from www.DimeStoreSaints.com   Banned from www.DimeStoreSaints.com Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 1:10 am

And as e7c said the problem people were both members who had the right to post! So, non-members posting is a total non-issue here. We just need better security, but actually this forum has been running amazingly smooth. We are a great group of people who have intelligent discussions. Sometimes I go back to the AM! forum where most of us first met and all the posts are about drugs, sex, being drunk, or having wierd dreams! So, I like this place better now! We have a solid thing going here, and I don't think it'll change.
Back to top Go down
https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com
PFREEZY
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Banned from www.DimeStoreSaints.com   Banned from www.DimeStoreSaints.com Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 2:48 am

True, this is one of the better "band specific" boards. I wouldn't mind about double the posts though.
Back to top Go down
http://freezy.tumblr.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Banned from www.DimeStoreSaints.com   Banned from www.DimeStoreSaints.com Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Banned from www.DimeStoreSaints.com
Page 1 of 1