DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Greetings from Bean Town

Go down 
+3
lynchyeatspizza
e7c
kuruptlon
7 posters
AuthorMessage
kuruptlon
A Contender
A Contender
kuruptlon

Greetings from Bean Town Empty
PostSubject: Greetings from Bean Town   Greetings from Bean Town Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 11:26 pm

After sucking this place dry for every demo and bootleg you guys have I've finally decided to introduce myself (as per lynchyeatspizza request)

If anyone cares for the story as to how I became a Gaslight fan here goes it.

I'm a huge fan of all types of music and more of an addict of sorts when it comes to artists I like.

I was real excited one day when I saw a link to one of my favorite artists (Mat Kearney) covering my favorite Springsteen song (Atlantic City) after listening to the cover I realized it was part of something called Hanging out on E Street or whatever and saw some other covers by other artists.

Being a Springsteen fan I decided to check out some of the other covers. I stumbled on Brians cover of the Backstreets and thought it was pretty good so I decided to download the 59 Sound after visiting the bands myspace and being somewhat impressed after the first listen.

Well as with most stuff I download I never bothered to listen to the 59 Sound because I just never got around too it.

Then one day on my long commute into work fed up with everything else on my Ipod i stumbled upon the 59 Sound and Wow I was impressed when I got to Even Cowgirls sing the Blues I thought to myself "what a terrible name for a song this is probably where the bands gonna start to suck" Then that bluesy guitar riff kicked in and kicked my ass.

A lot of bands become seasonal favorites of mine but I can honestly say The Gaslight Anthem is a keeper.

Brian Fallon has something about him that just sets him apart

thats me and gaslight
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Bean Town   Greetings from Bean Town Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 12:47 am

Kuruption, glad to have you here... that is a really cool way to get into TGA... I have never heard of Mat Kearney, but I will probably download some of his stuff and wait for it to come a across my ipod (I just got too much good new music right now and not enough time to listen to it all)

Thanks for finally making your presence known!
Back to top Go down
lynchyeatspizza
Wooderson
Wooderson
lynchyeatspizza

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Bean Town   Greetings from Bean Town Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 11:55 pm

Gday Kuruption! That's a great story! Those Hanging Out on E Street vids are great. Do you prefer SoS or T'59S?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lynchy911
kuruptlon
A Contender
A Contender
kuruptlon

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Bean Town   Greetings from Bean Town Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 5:07 pm

You know thats a great question

My assumption is that with most bands the real hardcore fans tend to appreciate the lesser known less 'polished' material from the bands that doesn't appeal as much to more casual fan.

Not sure if that makes any sense but either way.

Sink or Swim has a much more raw and unfiltered sound to it.

where as

The 59 Sound is very polished and is a lot easier on the ears

Obviously I fell in love with this band because of the 59 sound and that album still gets a lot of play when I'm looking for something to wake me up.

That said its been more of a gateway into the other songs that Gaslight has to offer and I'm currently in the process getting to appreciate Sink or Swim a lot more.

On a side note I really Really like all of Brian's solo stuff. I'm a fan of that real heartfelt type stuff like The Blues, Mary where the emotion really transcends.

Its taking a little more time for me to get into Sink or Swim but I'm really enjoying it more and more everyday.

Angry Johnny and the Radio is unquestionably my favorite song right now. Hearing that live was just nuts, its such a great jam to get into.

I'm also finding myself liking the senor and the queen ep, particularly Blue Jeans and White T-Shirts, what an amazing song.

I know this is all disjointed but I hope you get the point.

One last thing thats really special about the 59 sound is that just about every song has some sort of catchy sing-alongability. Brian really nailed the melodies on that album, its so catchy its ridiculous.

When I first heard Gaslight Anthem I was like this guys confused thinking he's living during Springsteens Born to Run album or something, it all seemed to close to that old Springsteen style for me. Then after a while it just sort of clicked and I was addicted, it was like Brians some sort of genius who managed to take this old style and somehow make it new. Truly remarkable and unique.

I don't know its hard for me to articulate.

What album is your favorite?
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Bean Town   Greetings from Bean Town Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 5:47 pm

some interesting thoughts there, koruption; thanks for sharing them

I heard The '59 Sound album first, but my favourite is Sink or Swim; it's what got me really hooked
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
lynchyeatspizza
Wooderson
Wooderson
lynchyeatspizza

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Bean Town   Greetings from Bean Town Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 9:21 pm

That's really interesting the way you put that kuruption. At first i prefered SoS, because the main reason i got into TGA was the punk. But T'59S grew on me A LOT and now i think i prefer T'59S. SatQ is also very good, but i think I prefer SoS, simply because it has more songs. Blue Jeans is amazing!
Back to top Go down
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Bean Town   Greetings from Bean Town Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 10:40 am

I'm growing a bit sick of 59S at the moment tbh. SoS has much more enrgy in it imo. Though SATQ is probably their best collection of songs it's too short to be my favourite.

welcome to the site btw!
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Bean Town   Greetings from Bean Town Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 5:34 pm

Daire wrote:
I'm growing a bit sick of 59S at the moment tbh.

I appreciate such an honest and bold statement on this forum

there was a time when I just couldn't take hearing Great Expectations yet again Greetings from Bean Town Icon_redface
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Bean Town   Greetings from Bean Town Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 9:56 pm

@ daire & steadynowsteadynow

it's the same with me, i can't listen a lot to 59s anymore but like 3 songs. mainly because i got more into sos this year again (talking bout tga) and because there are lots of other band in need of my attention right now.
Back to top Go down
kuruptlon
A Contender
A Contender
kuruptlon

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Bean Town   Greetings from Bean Town Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 10:27 pm

Can anyone recommend a good band that comes close to the TGA sound?

I really liked Murder By Death when I saw them open for Gaslight last month, but then when I was listening to their album stuff it didn't sound as high energy as it did live.
Back to top Go down
lynchyeatspizza
Wooderson
Wooderson
lynchyeatspizza

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Bean Town   Greetings from Bean Town Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 10:54 pm

Nothington. They are more an SoS sounding band. Both their albums are amazing! There vocalist has a grittier voice and they are a bit more 'punk rock' than TGA.
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Bean Town   Greetings from Bean Town Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 11:38 pm

kuruptlon wrote:

I really liked Murder By Death when I saw them open for Gaslight last month, but then when I was listening to their album stuff it didn't sound as high energy as it did live.

I have become a big fan of their album "Red of Tooth and Claw" I also have their first album, but I don't really care for it.
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Bean Town   Greetings from Bean Town Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 11:12 am

Lucero, Against Me!, Social Distortion, Gin Blossoms, The Replacements, Tom Petty, The Clash, The Who, Fake Problems, Hot Water Music, The Draft, The Loved Ones, The Bouncing Souls, The Hold Steady, Drag the River, The Riot Before
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Bean Town   Greetings from Bean Town Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 11:21 am

kuruptlon wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good band that comes close to the TGA sound?

try Twopointeight they are a swedish band and they are very similar to SOS. I saw them open for The Street Dogs and Dead to Me and honestly they stole the show!

http://www.myspace.com/tpetwopointeight

be sure to listen to the song Red Eye... that is my five star, silver bullet, lock of the week song you will like!
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Bean Town   Greetings from Bean Town Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 11:30 am

here is the link for the video for Red Eye...

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=63933661
Back to top Go down
andy.mac
Wooderson
Wooderson
andy.mac

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Bean Town   Greetings from Bean Town Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 5:50 am

@ the guys who can't listen to 59 sound anymore - i'm getting to that point but only for a few select songs.

I've done this consciously because I didn't want to get sick of all it. Like I don't think you could pay me to listen to Film Noir, Casanova, Baby! and a few others.

I remember when I was heavily listening to hip hop, Ready to Die was the only album I listened to for about 3 months straight. I quickly learned not to overplay stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Bean Town   Greetings from Bean Town Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Greetings from Bean Town
Page 1 of 1