DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder

Go down 
+38
Andy_
SirBrad
DeathoftheCool
FrankieG
badradio81
bakerfall
TheContender
JimmyB
songs like a comfort
StitchesOnTheRadio
riversedge
sickgirl
Mr.Grieves
Jack
Klown
HorribleCrowe
LuceroDiehard
_rebekka_
ThisMachineKillsFascists
chickenman
Hirti
Gaslight23
Down by the Mersey
plugga
ilockyer
At the corner round 9
SouthJerseyTGA
lynchyeatspizza
Reinvent good times
Luca Chinaski
ral
andy.mac
Angry Johnny
steady now steady now
tdawg
Jukebox Romeo
steph
JoshRaymond
42 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage

Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder  Empty
PostSubject: Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder    Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 6:29 pm

Don't think they've been discussed before.

This bands name keeps cropping up, and I want to give them a listen. I'm aware they've been around for a while, and was wondering if anyone's a fan on here whether they could give me some direction in which to take for a first listen? Album/song recommendations?
Back to top Go down
JoshRaymond
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JoshRaymond

PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder    Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 6:38 pm

not a fan pearl jam, but what eddie vedder did for into the wild movie is fucking awesome
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder    Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 9:13 pm

I never liked them when I was younger, but have been meaning to go back and listen to them now, after hearing Gaslight cover "State of Love and Trust."

I think "Ten" is supposed to be a pretty good record, but this is coming from someone that doesn't know much about the band.

Oh and their cover song...crap, can't think of the name right now, they covered an old 50s song...really good.
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder    Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 9:28 pm

steph, you're thinking of "Last Kiss". and yeah, that's a great cover. these guys are really good. i don't listen to them much, but every time i do, i'm blown away. "Ten" is a really good album. check that out first for those who haven't
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder    Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 10:09 pm

thank you! last kiss...
Back to top Go down
tdawg
Wooderson
Wooderson
tdawg

PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder    Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 11:42 pm

I used to be really into grunge, and I still like Pearl Jam.
Last Kiss is a great song. Some others I recommend are:

-Better Man
-Do The Evolution
-Jeremy (on Rock Band, if you've ever played it)
-Even Flow (every time I see an Even Flo brand baby product, that song plays in my head)
-Alive

Great group, and Eddie Vedder's voice is real unique. Rough and tumble, but it feels like he's never straining or out of countrol.
Back to top Go down
http://www.utdallas.edu/~dat054000
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder    Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 6:25 am

Tomaldo wrote:
Don't think they've been discussed before.

This bands name keeps cropping up, and I want to give them a listen. I'm aware they've been around for a while, and was wondering if anyone's a fan on here whether they could give me some direction in which to take for a first listen? Album/song recommendations?

Because they got mentioned on Springsteen boards a lot (yes, really), I bought the album 'Ten', their first. It's more light metal than grunge ... (I just wanted to say something that sounded informed). Seriously, I recommend it. There's a bonus track edition with live tracks which I got a Tesco's for £5.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org

PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder    Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 6:51 am

Cheers people. It seems 'Ten' is the way to go when I've got some spare cash...
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder    Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 2:17 pm

i wouldn't really call these guys grunge, and definitely not light metal. "Ten" is more like that, but their later stuff is just straight up rock and roll. maybe a little bit hard rock
Back to top Go down
Angry Johnny
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Angry Johnny

PostSubject: GET WITH IT!   Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 3:45 pm

How old are all you guys? EVERYTHING pearl jam has done up till now is incredable. Ten was a great album, but i feel like people kind of got into Vs., Vitalogy and then stopped listening. All the albums after those three are great. I think Eddie Vedder is one of the greatest song writers ever. All his acoustic stuff is great and the thousands of bootlegs are even better. Do yourselves a favor and look into this. Id love to be able to stumble along that much good music i never knew about. ive got almost everything from pearl jam to eddie if anyones interested. im pretty sure ive heard Brian say in an interview that PJ/Eddie is one of his favorites.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder    Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 10:35 pm

i really like the new song- "the fixer," im definitely gonna check into their older stuff.
Back to top Go down
andy.mac
Wooderson
Wooderson
andy.mac

PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder    Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 10:54 pm

I remember listening to these guys growing up as my cousins would always play them, so I subconsciously learned the lyrics to songs like "better man", "daughter, "alive" etc., pretty much all their most popular stuff.

But after hearing Gaslight cover them I went out and actually brought some of their stuff. I got the remixed/reissued version of ten and rearviewmirror (greatest hits) and man they are awesome. These songs definitely take me back.

The leader singer, Eddie, is an absolute freak of nature to be given a voice like that - I'd probably buy a CD where he was singing about mortgages and stocks.
Back to top Go down
andy.mac
Wooderson
Wooderson
andy.mac

PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder    Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 10:56 pm

Just thought that I'd add that they're coming out to Brisbane on the 24/11 so I'm going to be seeing them live.
Back to top Go down
ral
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ral

PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder    Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 11:22 pm

somehow i missed this thread the first time around... big pj fan. the first four albums (ten, vs, vitalogy, yield) are fantastic. some of my favorite albums. the last few albums have been decent with riot act being the only real stinker. if someone was interested in checking them out, i'd suggest going in chronological order. or maybe try the greatest hits followed by a few live shows, which are phenomenal. they play 2-2.5 hrs every night and each show is more or less unique, even with the handful of hits played every night. they've released official bootlegs for almost every show since 2000. if there's interest, i could share a few standout shows.

i'm biased but i think they're still one of the best bands around and everyone should give them a listen. can't wait to see them again in a few weeks, then the four night stand to close the spectrum in philly.
Back to top Go down
Luca Chinaski
A Contender
A Contender
Luca Chinaski

PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder    Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder  Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 4:01 am

Pure love.
After 16 years still my fav. band.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pearljamonline.it/
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder    Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder  Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 5:56 am

andy.mac wrote:
I remember listening to these guys growing up as my cousins would always play them, so I subconsciously learned the lyrics to songs like "better man", "daughter, "alive" etc., pretty much all their most popular stuff.

But after hearing Gaslight cover them I went out and actually brought some of their stuff. I got the remixed/reissued version of ten and rearviewmirror (greatest hits) and man they are awesome. These songs definitely take me back.

The leader singer, Eddie, is an absolute freak of nature to be given a voice like that - I'd probably buy a CD where he was singing about mortgages and stocks.

haha. well let us know how they are! although ive heard they are an amazing band live, so anything less and i will feel let down...
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder    Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder  Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 5:57 am

intothewild wrote:
Pure love.

wasnt "into the wild" the name of the movie, sean penn directed it, and eddie vedder did some songs for it? or maybe the whole soundtrack?
Back to top Go down
Angry Johnny
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Angry Johnny

PostSubject: Into The Wild   Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder  Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 1:45 pm

Yes, Into The Wild was a soundtrack for the movie by Sean Penn. Eddie did the entire soundtrack and it is amazing front to back. As far as anyone checking out Pearl Jam, I would say the greatest hits albums would be the worst. I think thats why a lot of people think Pearl JAm suck. All they hear are the popular songs which i think are some of the worst. Not to say they are bad at all, but it think it's all the stuff most people dont hear or the b side stuff that is the best. I could make a list, but it would go on forever. It's the one band i can nevr make a mix cd of. There are just way too many good sons. tyr checking out Crazy Mary, Throw Your Arms Around Me, I Got ID.....the list goes on.
Back to top Go down
Luca Chinaski
A Contender
A Contender
Luca Chinaski

PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder    Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder  Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 8:32 pm

steph wrote:
intothewild wrote:
Pure love.

wasnt "into the wild" the name of the movie, sean penn directed it, and eddie vedder did some songs for it? or maybe the whole soundtrack?

Yep.
The whole soundtrack.
Absolutely amazing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pearljamonline.it/
Reinvent good times
A Contender
A Contender
Reinvent good times

PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder    Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 3:09 pm

Prior to my infatuation with TGA, Pearl Jam was my favorite band, and personal lifetime achievement winner...Solid stuff over the years. I liked their first 5 cd's much better than their last 4-5, but still solid, solid band.

I think their most underrated CD, and my personal favorite is No Code from 1996. They slowed it down a bit on that one with In My Tree, Off He Goes, and Present Tense. Those are some great songs..
Don't forget Black from Ten, Rearview Mirror, Crazy Mary

Anyone else feeling that?
Back to top Go down
lynchyeatspizza
Wooderson
Wooderson
lynchyeatspizza

PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder    Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder  Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 11:40 pm

Backspacer? What did you all think?

Had my first listen yesterday, LOVED IT! So i've had another two listens since and i love the first four tracks, but not really the slower tracks. I rather Pearl Jam when they're rocking hard, like State of Love and Trust, rather than their slower songs. What do you think?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lynchy911
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder    Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder  Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 2:44 am

i freakin love "the fixer". actually i bought "backspacer" at amoeba records when i was on my gaslight trip, specifically for the long trip home, the damn cd wouldnt play in my car! im gonna see if i can trade it in at Target. im sure ill love it once i finally get to hear it. from the stuff ive heard (admittedly, a small portion of their catalog) i like the more rockin songs as well.
Back to top Go down
andy.mac
Wooderson
Wooderson
andy.mac

PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder    Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder  Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 5:36 am

Serious guys and gals, I am so effin pumped for seeing em live.

I've read so many good reviews of their recent live shows and how they got Ron Wood to come out and play "all along the watchtower" at one of their shows (obviously he won't be coming out to Aus though)

The new CD is great, actually effin great.

Ultimately, The Jam shine on their rocking songs but their I like their slower stuff as well.

I'm really excited that both Pearl Jam and Alice have put out solid albums.

Is grunge back? I know I ordered a reissue of Nevermind (180 gram vinyl).
Back to top Go down
SouthJerseyTGA
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
SouthJerseyTGA

PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder    Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2009 10:48 pm

Eddie Vedder is an incredible lyracist. Incredible.

I'm a HUGE PJ fan. They have so many albums, so many songs to choose from. I couldn't pick a favorite, but i'll try:

3) Low Light
2) Rearviewmirror
1) State of Love and Trust

If you're a Gaslight fan (Duh, of course you are), you may want to watch the cover version they did of State of Love and Trust.

Real Version #1 (During the Grunge-Rock Dominance Era):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2XtoypGap8
Real Version #2 (Album Version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q387_rZISs

Gaslight Cover:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezdm300j7Ew

Gaslight Cover #2 (in Pearl Jam's backyard)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLh8naDceOM

Enjoy!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder    Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder  Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 12:10 am

Their second record VS. is one my all time favorite. I highly recommend seeing them live at least once, they are amazing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder    Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next