DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape

Go down 
+6
bradcooke
e7c
Vibes
Forum Owner
Refused
lynchyeatspizza
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

What did you think?
Five Stars! Every track was awesome!
22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 20% [ 2 ]
Four Stars! I am going to check out a few of these bands
22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape - Page 2 Vote_lcap40%22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 40% [ 4 ]
Three Stars.. atleast there was one band I want to check out
22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape - Page 2 Vote_lcap40%22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 40% [ 4 ]
Two stars... not bad to listen to, nothing I want to get into though
22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
one star. bleh. not my style
22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

AuthorMessage
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape   22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 9:35 pm

there's no distinction between artists these days. every rapper sounds the same, every chick pop singer sounds the same, every pop/punk band sounds the same, every rap singer autotunes his voice, etc.

and it seems that very few artists have any lasting ability. they'll release one single, maybe two, and then you'll never hear from them again

and the rock artists who do stick around for many years (Nickelback, 3 Doors Down, etc.) all kinda suck
Back to top Go down
tdawg
Wooderson
Wooderson
tdawg

PostSubject: Re: 22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape   22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 9:55 pm

I was reading an article about Michael Jackson that was pretty interesting. The gist of it was that it's almost impossible for a music superstar to exist like in the old days. The Beatles, Jackson, etc lived in a different system of music distribution that is disappearing.

And yeah, there are some enduring crap bands out there. But there are exceptions too. I know not everyone will agree, but I think Green Day is still going strong. Loved American Idiot, and what I've heard from 21st Century Breakdown is pretty good. Matchbox Twenty is still kicking (though not quite up to their older stuff).

But I will agree, Staind/Nickelback/Shinedown and their crowd are really beginning to break my nerves. I barely listen to modern rock FM radio anymore b/c of them Sad I still like some Nickelback songs, but they never tried anything different or better.
Back to top Go down
http://www.utdallas.edu/~dat054000

PostSubject: Re: 22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape   22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 6:27 am

e7c wrote:
HOWEVER this generation does not have mass scale musicians, they only have mass scale performers...

This links to the increase in manufactured bands. In Uk we have had (and still do have) 'talent' TV shows like Pop Idol, X Factor, Popstars: The Rivals, and loads of other I can't remember. Does my head in.

And Jukebox, you're right about how ever rapper sounds the same, evet popstar sounds the same, etc. They just fit to a mould.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: 22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape   22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 2:52 am

I finally downloaded your mixtape and gave it a listen. It's very British! I don't care for the Arctic Monkeys. I love the Smiths, surprised a couple people on here said they don't care for his voice, I think Morrissey has one of the best voices I've ever heard. I never listened to Joy Division that much, I guess they're one of those bands I can appreciate moreso than enjoy.

I like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs song, that was a new one for me.
Bloc Party, I really like that guy's voice. "Silent Alarm" is my favorite of theirs, don't really listen to the other albums much.

Paramore, on the one hand, it too poppunky or whatever for me, but I think she has a great voice. Can't deny the catchiness of this song...

The Bravery is a band I cannot stand...I said something in the discussion about The Killers about how pretentious Brandon Flowers comes across, well these guys are twice as band, to me.
Anyways, just got on a rant there about the Bravery, hopefully it doesn't come across as I'm telling you how shitty your mixtape was, cause that's not what I mean.

I think you did a good job putting together a bunch of songs that work well as a mix tape.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: 22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape   22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 2:57 am

tdawg wrote:

But I will agree, Staind/Nickelback/Shinedown and their crowd are really beginning to break my nerves. I barely listen to modern rock FM radio anymore b/c of them Sad I still like some Nickelback songs, but they never tried anything different or better.

nickelback makes me want to stab out my ear drums. they are everything that is wrong with music. generic crap "rock" for bro's to rock out to drivin around town in their lifted trucks. bleh.
okay, im sorry, i did not mean to sound like a snob there, i just have a violent reaction at the mere mention of their name...
Back to top Go down
tdawg
Wooderson
Wooderson
tdawg

PostSubject: Re: 22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape   22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 11:22 am

Well here's my angle on that; I think Nickelback has some very well written songs. The lyrics to Too Bad make it one of the best "my daddy doesn't care songs," coming in a bit behind Father of Mine. And Someday has a rhythm and sound that I absolutely love. Really, they've got some great sounding songs.

But I will agree with the "brazenly unimaginative" tag they have. Very formulaic and they've done nothing fresh-sounding in the last 8 years. And they're most recent songs are just frat-boy anthems. I hated Animals and another recent single that's about the same sort of stuff.

Regardless, they still have a few good songs and I give them credit for that. I think it's wrong to dismiss an entire body of work so quickly.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: 22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape   22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 6:00 pm

ill take your word for it (them having a few decent songs, that is), but have to agree to disagree.
everyone gets a handful of bands they can hate on, that just make em cringe...nickelback is on my short list.
canada owes me big time for the aural rapage i've endured on their part.
Back to top Go down
redd
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
redd

PostSubject: Re: 22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape   22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 6:14 pm

steph, i'm high fiving you in my head.

also,

Dear Canada,

For the record, you i are even. i've endured alanis morrisette, bryan adams, nickelback and barenaked ladies. If it weren't for Neil Young and The Band we would definately be facing a cage match.

respectfully,
redd
Back to top Go down
tdawg
Wooderson
Wooderson
tdawg

PostSubject: Re: 22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape   22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 7:00 pm

What? Alanis Morissette has the greatest stage presence ever!! Look at her, swayin from side to side... like a picture frame dangling from a nail in the wall. And her hands! It's like a junkie itchin for a fix.

And yes, I'm kidding about it being great. It's scary to watch.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape   22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 7:23 am

steph wrote:
It's very British! ....

....everyone gets a handful of bands they can hate on, that just make em cringe

- Haha! Strange but I would say 80% of my super favourite bands are American!

- For me it's Coldplay. Can't stand them, or anything they stand for. Bunch of hypocrites. There are more but Coldplay top the list.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: 22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape   22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 3:20 pm

Tomaldo wrote:
steph wrote:
It's very British! ....

....everyone gets a handful of bands they can hate on, that just make em cringe

- Haha! Strange but I would say 80% of my super favourite bands are American!

- For me it's Coldplay. Can't stand them, or anything they stand for. Bunch of hypocrites. There are more but Coldplay top the list.

Yeah, I can't say I don't like one or two songs, I used to really like "The Scientist," but haven't listened to it in forever, though. His voice bugs me, I always feel like he's trying to sing in a higher pitch than his voice should go. Plus it's just annoying to hear people heap that much praise on them, they ain't that great.

Damn, I can't stop hating on bands in this thread!
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: 22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape   22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 3:23 pm

redd wrote:
steph, i'm high fiving you in my head.

also,

Dear Canada,

For the record, you i are even. i've endured alanis morrisette, bryan adams, nickelback and barenaked ladies. If it weren't for Neil Young and The Band we would definately be facing a cage match.

respectfully,
redd

Haha.

"Chickity China the Chinese chicken
You have a drumstick and your brain stops tickin'
Watchin' X-Files with no lights on
We're dans la maison
I hope the Smoking Man's in this one
Like Harrison Ford I'm getting frantic
Like Sting I'm tantric
Like Snickers, guaranteed to satisfy"

That's gonna be running through my head all day...
Back to top Go down
tdawg
Wooderson
Wooderson
tdawg

PostSubject: Re: 22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape   22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Aw man, now it's stuck in my head! It's like a virus.

Oh, and I don't get the Coldplay hate. His voice is higher, yeah, but it's part of their music and how they are. Some of their songs I don't care for, but in general I think they're pretty darn good. And how is Chris Martin a hypocrite? I know he's kind of a male diva, but that doesn't = hypocrite.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: 22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape   22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 10:46 pm

tdawg wrote:
Aw man, now it's stuck in my head! It's like a virus.

Oh, and I don't get the Coldplay hate. His voice is higher, yeah, but it's part of their music and how they are. Some of their songs I don't care for, but in general I think they're pretty darn good. And how is Chris Martin a hypocrite? I know he's kind of a male diva, but that doesn't = hypocrite.

Haha! It's only fair, something like that I can't not share. I just think it sounds like he is straining outside of his natural vocal range when he tries to go real high, maybe thats just me though. I don't totally hate the band.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape   22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 11:25 am

I don't really want to go into why I maintain an intense dislike for Coldplay. It's just a personal thing; I have no problem if you like them. There seems too many reasons for me personally. Like that single of the last album, the 'When I ruled the world...' one- they apparently ripped that off an unsigned band one of the Coldplay members watched in a bar on time...
Back to top Go down
tdawg
Wooderson
Wooderson
tdawg

PostSubject: Re: 22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape   22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 6:35 pm

Man, with that whole plagiarism thing, I seriously doubt they stole it from anybody (BTW, it's Viva La Vida). There's a striking similarity to songs by that indie band, Joe Satriani, and even Cat Stevens.
The melody is in all of them. Did they all rip off each other or what? IDK, but I think the more likely explanation is they drew from the same inspiration.

People trashed RHCP for "ripping" off Mary Jane's Last Dance, but Tom Petty thought nothing of it saying that it happens; there's only so many notes and chords in our organization of music. Can't call everyone a thief for using a not system we've had for hundreds of years.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape   22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 7:28 am

The plagiarism thing with Coldplay is not the only, sole reason I despise them. Just a contributing factor, I don't know, maybe I shouldn't judge but it just strikes me as something they'd do, then try and come across all angelic about it. Chris Martin is perhaps a major reason as well; he believes his own hype and to me thinks he is god. I have no problem with rockstars having egos (people may point to Brandon Flowers, who I think is ace), but with Chris Martin I don't think there is excessive talent to back it up, even if his record sales may say otherwise.

With the song, I don't mean ripping off a riff or anything- I mean the whole song, the majority of lyrics and all. Yet Coldplay try and create this image that they're saviours of the world and can get away with such things like this because of it. I wonder that if this is true how the band that created the song in the first place feel now it's become a hit? I'm sure Coldplay won't be bothered, for sure.

Thinking about it, I can bear two of their songs in small amounts though: Yellow, and Speed Of Sound. They exhibit talent; I just think the rest of their stuff doesn't, and therefore their position near the top of the music world is somewhat unjustified. In my eyes, of course.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape   22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

22nd - 28th June: Tomaldo's Mixtape
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2