DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gaslight supporting Green Day UK?

Go down 
+11
fivelongdays
bradcooke
steady now steady now
LBAZ
Jukebox Romeo
I Came To Dance
lynchyeatspizza
Vibes
steph
Stalls_Standing
Palmer89
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Palmer89
Wooderson
Wooderson

Gaslight supporting Green Day UK? Empty
PostSubject: Gaslight supporting Green Day UK?   Gaslight supporting Green Day UK? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 7:19 pm

Rumoured on Green Day forum that Brian has told someone at a gig that Gaslight are supporting Green Day in the UK leg of their tour in October.

Would be brilliant if so, got tickets to see them at the o2, 4th time I get to see Gaslight if true. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Not sure if there's any truth to it though, someone spoke to him after the gig in London tonight.
Back to top Go down
Stalls_Standing
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Stalls_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight supporting Green Day UK?   Gaslight supporting Green Day UK? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 10:39 pm

I rumoured this on Green Day as a 'dream' line up. It's not actually happening is it?!
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight supporting Green Day UK?   Gaslight supporting Green Day UK? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 12:23 am

green day? meh...
i would much rather have more us dates of their own shows not as an opening.
Back to top Go down
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight supporting Green Day UK?   Gaslight supporting Green Day UK? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 1:59 am

Why would that be a dream lineup? Green Day is far from where I fell in love with them when I was younger, they're not the same band anymore, in my eyes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com
lynchyeatspizza
Wooderson
Wooderson
lynchyeatspizza

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight supporting Green Day UK?   Gaslight supporting Green Day UK? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 5:13 am

How many people here have loved Green Day. I know I used to.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lynchy911
Palmer89
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight supporting Green Day UK?   Gaslight supporting Green Day UK? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 6:09 am

I certainly do.

There music may not be like it was back in the day but it's still great and you can't beat a live show of theirs, let alone if Gaslight open up for them...
Back to top Go down
I Came To Dance
A Contender
A Contender
I Came To Dance

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight supporting Green Day UK?   Gaslight supporting Green Day UK? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 10:23 am

If this rumour is true then I might need to make a trip over to the UK. Hell, I'll swim over the damn ocean if I can't afford flight tickets!
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight supporting Green Day UK?   Gaslight supporting Green Day UK? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 2:09 pm

i'm actually kinda pissed about this. i agree with Vibes on this too. if this is true, then this is the end of TGA being the best kept secret in music

not that i don't want them to be successful, but i hope to God they don't become the trendy band and get on MTV and have 13 year old girls going nuts over how good-looking Brian is

even if they stick to their roots and continue making honest, good music, it won't be the same if they're the biggest band in the world
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight supporting Green Day UK?   Gaslight supporting Green Day UK? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 2:45 pm

Jukebox Romeo wrote:
i'm actually kinda pissed about this. i agree with Vibes on this too. if this is true, then this is the end of TGA being the best kept secret in music

not that i don't want them to be successful, but i hope to God they don't become the trendy band and get on MTV and have 13 year old girls going nuts over how good-looking Brian is

even if they stick to their roots and continue making honest, good music, it won't be the same if they're the biggest band in the world

hate to say it, but i kinda agree. i mean maybe its inevitable, and maybe its immature, i feel like im back in high school, talking about how you hate that the popular kids have heard your favorite band somehow, but it would be nice if they werent playing with green day and you know, staying our little secret for a little longer.
but, you know, im one of those rare folks who've never been a big green day fan, so, eh...
Back to top Go down
LBAZ
A Contender
A Contender
LBAZ

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight supporting Green Day UK?   Gaslight supporting Green Day UK? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 3:47 pm

If they are it may encourage my best friend to listen to them. I have amazing seats so that show will be great.
I understand people's fears about them not staying a 'secret' for much longer but think about it. Even if they don't support Green Day it is highly likely that their next album will make them stars. It is going to happen eventually and I share everyone's anxiety about it, of course I do, but we can't stop it from happening.
I have the faith that because of where they come from and their working conduct they never forget where they have been even if they get to that huge elevated status.
It would be selfish to say we can't like them because they get bigger. I feel proud more than anything!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/nomies_alien_lover
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight supporting Green Day UK?   Gaslight supporting Green Day UK? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 3:52 pm

to be honest, i actually don't see them getting much bigger than where they are right now. i think they'll remain one of those legendary punk bands that are largely unheard of by mainstream audiences, like Social D, Bad Religion, or Rancid

at best they might reach the level of Alkaline Trio or Rise Against, but they're never gonna be huge like The Offspring or Green Day, 'cause they're not gonna go all poppy like they did
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight supporting Green Day UK?   Gaslight supporting Green Day UK? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 4:26 pm

Jukebox Romeo wrote:
to be honest, i actually don't see them getting much bigger than where they are right now. [...] they're never gonna be huge like The Offspring or Green Day, 'cause they're not gonna go all poppy like they did

Looking at Brian's stage carisma alone, I don't see how they can't get bigger (or certainly why he can't). As for 'poppy', American Idiot was poppy in that it had some great tunes and people could relate to its message. The '59 Sound is as much a pop record as anything (it's hardly hardcore punk), but its a more subtle (and maybe hence less 'pop') comment on life than American Idiot. I think its simply that more people have to hear TGA. The next record might make all the difference.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight supporting Green Day UK?   Gaslight supporting Green Day UK? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 4:42 pm

Jukebox is right about their popularity but only because of the state of the music industry. Their music is too gritty and hard for for mainstream, dumbed down success. Look at popular music in America: Green Day (but not like it used to be), Lady Gaga, The Jonas Brothers - it's all watered down bullshit. I'm cynical about the state of the music industry and that's because bands like Gaslight can work 1000 times harder than fucking Miley Cyrus but she's popular because god damn Disney backs her.

Even being on a major label doesn't do it for artists anymore because you're just a number, you're just part of the formula, the algorithm and they just want 60% of everything you do.

Look at Rise Against. I've never been a fan but I've heard countless fans say how good their first few albums were compared to their newer, MTV-targeted stuff. Major labels mean that they control your music, you no longer do.

And I won't get mad if they get signed to a major. I wouldn't be surprised if whatever label Bruce is on tries to go after them because of all of the connections they draw, the dual marketing that could be done. The fact is that I just want the best for these guys because they're my friends and my favorite band. They've been cool to me since I've met them, cooler than I ever thought a band could be to a kid, a fan, a journalist, a new friend.

There are no music superstars anymore unless you're a band thats easily pliable and I don't think Benny would let that happen, let alone Brian. Benny was the one who came into This Charming Man and said you've gotta get rid of the unnecessary stuff and they did. Fall Out Boy got picked up by Fueled By Ramen, got to make a record on their terms and then got mashed and reformed by a major label. The guys wouldn't let that happen. If there were talks, I think they'd say you've gotta let us have 100% creative control with our producer and if not then fuck you.

Will they be able to sell out places like Rise Against does now? Yeah. Will they play stadiums in the US? No, probably not ever but only because that's not what music is anymore. There are only a few bands that ever do that anymore, Pearl Jam, Bruce, The Rolling Stones and they're a dying breed.

Again, I want nothing but the best for these guys but sadly music won't let them become another Bruce. That being said, prove me wrong.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight supporting Green Day UK?   Gaslight supporting Green Day UK? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 4:53 pm

steady now steady now wrote:
Looking at Brian's stage carisma alone, I don't see how they can't get bigger (or certainly why he can't). As for 'poppy', American Idiot was poppy in that it had some great tunes and people could relate to its message. The '59 Sound is as much a pop record as anything (it's hardly hardcore punk), but its a more subtle (and maybe hence less 'pop') comment on life than American Idiot. I think its simply that more people have to hear TGA. The next record might make all the difference.
I definitely agree that '59 is not a punk record, and has some of the catchiest songs I've ever heard. But I'm talking pop like The Offspring's "Pretty Fly (For a White Guy)" or "Original Prankster", or Green Day's "Warning" or "Poprocks and Coke", or even "Boulevard of Broken Dreams".

Both those bands put out some very good records in the early '90s, but in all honesty, they sold out. The Offspring still has good punk songs on their albums (see "Half-Life"), but the majority of their singles now are watered down, and weak pop songs (see "Kristy, Are You Doing Okay?").

I'd also like to refer you to this essay I wrote on why legendary bands like Social D, Against Me!, The Clash, etc. will never see the success they deserve: https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com/introduce-yourself-f11/ahoy-t690.htm#8560
Back to top Go down
LBAZ
A Contender
A Contender
LBAZ

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight supporting Green Day UK?   Gaslight supporting Green Day UK? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 5:54 pm

I can forsee TGA becoming more popular however prehaps not a Green Day esque band.
But who knows? No one can really know what future holds?
The music industry is a fickle thing. It's always changing.
Who knows what it will be like in 5 or 10 years.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/nomies_alien_lover
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight supporting Green Day UK?   Gaslight supporting Green Day UK? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 4:09 am

i see all the points that are being made here...on one hand, like i said before, in a selfish way, i cant help that feeling where you want your favorite band to stay your little "secret," but at the same time, theyre so fucking great, people cant not recognize that...they deserve everything. i also think theyre not the kind of band/guys that would let themselves or their music be manipulated and turned into something unrecognizable to us. so i guess theres nothing to worry about. even if they were to become really popular in a couple years, they would be one of the few bands that are worth that kind of adulation, and i will have to suck it up and accept it! haha.
Back to top Go down
bradcooke
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight supporting Green Day UK?   Gaslight supporting Green Day UK? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 9:29 am

Don't Do It Gaslight!!
Straight up... Green Day is terrible. Nuff said
Back to top Go down
Stalls_Standing
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Stalls_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight supporting Green Day UK?   Gaslight supporting Green Day UK? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 9:32 am

To be honest, I am about 90% sure they won't. Brian has spoken in interviews about turning down support slots where they'd be playing to like 10,000 kids for various reasons. I wouldn't be surprised if they'd been asked, but also wouldn't be surprised if they turned it down
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight supporting Green Day UK?   Gaslight supporting Green Day UK? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 10:49 am

Read through all the above posts and pretty much everything said is spot on. I hope they don't support Green Day because they should headline in their own right- they are a better band than Green Day.

As for levels of success I thinks it's hard to judge. I like them playing the level they're at now, and although I would not begrudge them becoming megastars (partiuclarly money wise- I don't think this is what motivates them though) the intimacy they bring to gigs really sets them apart. But I don't think you can become megastars now without mega backing (i.e. Disney, major label) and I don't think such things go with the ethic of the Gaslight Anthem. They all still seem to have their feet on the ground and I don't see that changing. I think it will stay as 'their' band and they will take it in the direction they feel is right- and I'll be behind them all the way.
Back to top Go down
bradcooke
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight supporting Green Day UK?   Gaslight supporting Green Day UK? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 11:06 am

Gotta love the intimacy
Back to top Go down
fivelongdays
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight supporting Green Day UK?   Gaslight supporting Green Day UK? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 12:17 pm

To be honest, I can't see any reason why TGA couldn't become massive - I certainly think they have the potential to be bigger than Alkaline Trio, for instance.

I'll tell you a couple of reasons why - firstly, friends of mine who aren't into the whole full-on punk thing love The '59 Sound and secondly, a little while ago, Radio One was on at work, and Great Expectations came on, and it sounded fantastic, not just in the way it normally does, but in a 'bloody hell, this works on the radio!' kind of way.
Back to top Go down
Palmer89
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight supporting Green Day UK?   Gaslight supporting Green Day UK? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 3:20 pm

Kinda agree to some extent with the above.

Albeit it would be brilliant to see Gaslight again, especially supporting one of if not my favourite band, the fact they're little known at the moment and are able to play really intimate shows is more exciting than going to see a huge arena band.

I've said to people before, that Green Day in Milton Keynes was my best gig ever in terms of aweness, in terms of intimacy and damn right brilliant gig though it's Gaslight...

I hop it is true the rumour, at the same time I hope they don't become what some people think GD have (understandable but I think they still damn good).
Back to top Go down
Stalls_Standing
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Stalls_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight supporting Green Day UK?   Gaslight supporting Green Day UK? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 3:26 pm

Palmer89 wrote:

Albeit it would be brilliant to see Gaslight again, especially supporting one of if not my favourite band, the fact they're little known at the moment and are able to play really intimate shows is more exciting than going to see a huge arena band.

I've said to people before, that Green Day in Milton Keynes was my best gig ever in terms of aweness, in terms of intimacy and damn right brilliant gig though it's Gaslight...

I hop it is true the rumour, at the same time I hope they don't become what some people think GD have (understandable but I think they still damn good).

I wouldn't call 2000+ an intimate show dude
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight supporting Green Day UK?   Gaslight supporting Green Day UK? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 3:28 pm

Stalls_Standing wrote:
To be honest, I am about 90% sure they won't. Brian has spoken in interviews about turning down support slots where they'd be playing to like 10,000 kids for various reasons. I wouldn't be surprised if they'd been asked, but also wouldn't be surprised if they turned it down

well i kinda like that...but then again, how many people have been at all these festivals theyre playing all summer long in europe? so is there much of a difference between that, and them opening for green day?
Back to top Go down
Palmer89
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight supporting Green Day UK?   Gaslight supporting Green Day UK? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 3:50 pm

Stalls_Standing wrote:
Palmer89 wrote:

I wouldn't call 2000+ an intimate show dude

Only times i've seen them there's been a max of 600 or so.

Small stages at o2/Carling Acadmy and Astoria 2, may not be underground basements in america somewhere but to me that isn't the only definition for an intimate show.

Compared to arena tours and what they'd get if they got big it's extremly intimate...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight supporting Green Day UK?   Gaslight supporting Green Day UK? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gaslight supporting Green Day UK?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next