DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label"

Go down 
+10
Dan_Dog
JoshRaymond
koolmcr
tigrr13
Stevearm
rhg5010
Jukebox Romeo
lynchyeatspizza
Forum Owner
e7c
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

What did you think?
Five Stars! Every track was awesome!
25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label" Vote_lcap42%25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label" Vote_rcap
 42% [ 5 ]
Four Stars! I am going to check out a few of these bands
25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label" Vote_lcap58%25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label" Vote_rcap
 58% [ 7 ]
Three Stars.. atleast there was one band I want to check out
25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label" Vote_lcap0%25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label" Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Two stars... not bad to listen to, nothing I want to get into though
25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label" Vote_lcap0%25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label" Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
one star. bleh. not my style
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 12

AuthorMessage
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label" Empty
PostSubject: 25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label"   25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label" Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 11:13 pm

ok, after multiple attempts at uploading this (seriously, I have been trying all day) here is my playlist, it is in two parts, because that is the only way I could get it to work:

part one: http://www.mediafire.com/?jgnxodjjtdq
part two: http://www.mediafire.com/?hunmwu0yzol

make sure you get parts one and two. Enjoy!

01 Against Me! "You Must Be Willing" I can't begin to describe how much I love this song... I almost had the line "Let them know hatred fear and war" on one forearm and "but let there be peace for us all" on the other. On a side note I do not know why the audio has the weird twang to it... the version of the song that I have has always had it and now I am used to it and expect to hear it that way.

02 Against Me! "Graceful Concession" One thing I have learned since I became a passionate fan of music is that everyone owes some one thanks for helping them out and no tribute is more passionate than this song... I only wish I knew who Tom was singing to.

03 Bob Marley "Redemption Song" If you only know Bob Marley as that reggae guy that smokes weed then you don't know enough. Bob is one of the greatest songwriters and singers of our generation and no song is as beautiful as his simpliest song "Redemption Song". The best thing I can say about Bob is to quote what he said to his son Ziggy right before he died "...money does not buy happiness" If you do not own any Bob, stop what you are doing right now and buy his Legend album, I promise that someday you will fall in love with it.

04 Brian Fallon "The Blues, Mary" this is the solo project from a guy many of you know as the lead singer from The Cincinnatie Rail Tie and This Charming Man. He recorded this song at his home with nothing but a guitar, his voice and his computer and it is the best thing he has ever produced. Oh, and Sandy Joplin helped out with this recording too!

05 Bruce Springsteen "The Ghost of Tom Joad" In high school I almost didn't graduate, in fact I came one teachers favor away from having to repeat a grade. English was by far my worst subject, not because I could not grasp grammar, but because I just hated structure. Steinbeck's "Grapes of Wrath" is what finally lit a spark under my ass. Tom Joad is my literary hero. He is the one that showed me that you can have all the cards stacked against you, and be in a shit situation and even then, you still must do what is right. Much of my philosophy as a leader in the army is based off of Tom Joad.

06 Bruce Springsteen "Nebraska" Bruce's album "Nebraska" is the best "concept" album that I know of. The entire album is telling the story of Charlie Starweather. Oddly enough Charlie Starweather was my dad's garbage man when he was growing up in Lincoln Nebraska

07 Cobra Skulls "Cobracoustic" This song sparks such a weird emotion in me... in one way I am so proud to have lived in "free countries" like The United States, Italy and Germany but on the other hand it reminds me that "free" is not a universal term. Different people live under different structures and just because something works for us doesn't mean it will work for them. There are very few issues where everything is just black and white (if you think an issue is black and white then you most likely are lacking empathy to understand someone else's point of view)

08 Jason Mraz "I'm Yours" ok make fun of me for this track. All I can say is this song fits in musically with this playlist and I love it because when I play it Monk-o-tron always starts dancing. When I hear this song with out my daughter around it still makes me smile.

09 Joe Strummer and The Mescaleros "Johnny Appleseed" I used to work with a unit in the army known as Civil Affairs, basically we are like the peace corps... but with guns. No line better states the CA mission than "if you're out to get the honey, then you don't go killing all the bees" it reminds me that most people are out to do good, but can often be led astray (maybe even myself) and not even realize it.

10 Johnny Cash "Hurt" Hands down the best cover song ever done. When Trent Reznor heard Johnny Cash's version it is reported that he started to cry. If you have not seen the video go look it up on YouTube. Johnny Cash was the most fierce, punk man to ever live and to see a indestructible legend so fragile is just shocking. When June died, Johnny died too... it was just a matter of time before God realized that they needed to be together. Family before all.

11 Lars and The Bastards "The Viking" This song is just an autobiography of Lars, and while there are countless things he has done that I haven't (and vice versa) I still feel like I can relate to him. I may not be "married to the sea" but I married to the army and it has taken me to most of the places that it has taken Lars.

12 Lucero "The War" The first time I met the guys from TGA we were talking about war songs (I had thought 1930 was about Iraq). Brian first told me what 1930 was really about but then told me that Lucero's "The War" was the best war song and he was right. No line better describes the struggle I have had with the army than "Three times I made Sargeant, I'm not that kind of man. Pretty much just as quick as I could I get busted back to private again, because taking orders never suited me, but giving them out was much worse". I have sent people out on missions where I thought there was a good chance that they might die and while I have lost many friends throughout these wars only 2 still bother me, one was my best friend and the other was the one that was my soldier.

13 Glen Hasard "Falling Slowly" this song I have the least connection to on this playlist... "Falling Slowly" is just a beautiful song. The movie "Once" is focused around this song, if you haven't seen it, go get it and then remember that even musician's that are not successful are still passionate (if not more passionate than those that are successful) about their music.

14 Street Dogs "Final Transmission" Ever heard about "Support the Troops not the War" this song could be its theme. Many of us join the military for reason that have nothing to do with September 11th or "patriotism". I have re-enlisted 3 times since September 11th and it is not because I love the United States... I stay in the military because if you work for me than you are more than just a soldier to me, you are family, and irregardless of what I think, if you still believe in what you are doing then I will be there to support you and protect you to the best of my abilities. We are the military, if you give me a mission we will do it. We are "sworn order takers" not policy makers.

15 The Traveling Wilburys "Handle With Care" sorry to be vague about these guys, but all I am going to say is look in to this band and trust me the discoveries you make will be worth all the effort.

16 Two Cow Garage "Come Back to Shelby" ok, I got into Two Cow Garage because I thought their name was hilarious, but it was their sound that started this entire playlist... I think the best description of the singer is that he has a voice that you can only get from whiskey and ciggarettes, and that is why I call every song on this playlist "Whiskey Rock" and on my iPod this playlist is called "Blue Label" because it is the best of Whiskey Rock

17 Two Cow Garage "Your Humble Narrarator" see song 16.

18 Twopointeight "Red Eye" I saw these guys play with the Street Dogs a few years back and to say they stole the show would be an understatement! I really think that thier sound goes great with "Sink or Swim". I did get to hang out with them for a few hours after the concert and must say that they are just good guys. If I could pick my dream lineup for a concert it would be Twopointeight as the opening band followed by Against Me! and ending with TGA.

Enjoy.

Last edited by e7c on Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: 25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label"   25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label" Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 12:52 am

Am downloading now - I know and love many of the same songs. The Frames are brilliant, and I love the Wilbury's! That Johnny Cash song is great too, and of course Against Me!

Will write more on the other songs soon! Thanks for sharing!

kropo
Back to top Go down
https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com
lynchyeatspizza
Wooderson
Wooderson
lynchyeatspizza

PostSubject: Re: 25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label"   25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label" Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 4:52 am

Cheers e7c, downloading as I type...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lynchy911
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: 25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label"   25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label" Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 5:13 am

Hey e6c - again, thanks for the sharing.

Sorry to hear about those loses you suffered in the war, I hope you're doing fine. I can only imagine what a burden it can become. As The Clash say, "Go easy, step lightly, stay free."

Anyhoo, for the most part, you must be in a pretty mellow mood! Alot of acoustic in there! Kudos for the Marley!

Just a few comments this time, no more term-papereque replies!

Oh - and Johnny Appleseed is missing from the tracks!

----------

02 Against Me! "Graceful Concession"

I also love this song. Did you hear the 'untitled' version on the B-Side edition of New Wave? With electric guitars and stuff!?! Yucky! This is is brilliant in it's sincerity and simplicity.

07 Cobra Skulls "Cobracoustic"

I like this song. Never listened to the Cobra Skulls before, not bad at all. A little political too, cool!

08 Jason Mraz "I'm Yours"

Wow! This song is AMAZING!

09 Joe Strummer and The Mescaleros "Johnny Appleseed"

THIS IS NOT PART OF THE DOWNLOADS YOU SENT. But I know the song and love it.

12 Lucero "The War"

Very well crafted song, very genuine. Don't like his comment about the French though! ;-) But I guess he needed a word to rhyme with 'trench' so - hey, we'll let him be! Some of this song makes me think of The Riot Before.

14 Street Dogs "Final Transmission"

Great song! I'll have to check these guys out! Like Irish punk or something, very nice!

16 Two Cow Garage "Come Back to Shelby" / 17 Two Cow Garage "Your Humble Narrarator"

I agree, crazy ass name! But the first track is very good with great guitars and a great voice. Don't like the second one as much though.

18 Twopointeight "Red Eye"

Another great vocalist, very raspy and raw. I agree that it goes well with SOS - same genre passionate rock n roll.
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: 25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label"   25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label" Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 7:53 am

i will comment on the songs i don't know after i download it, but for now:

i was going to put "Redemption Song", "The War", and maybe "Final Transmission" on mine. i will try to avoid it now

have you heard the live version of "The War" on the Dreaming In America cd? much better than the album version

have you heard the version of "Redemption Song" covered by Joe Strummer and Johnny Cash? really good
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: 25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label"   25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label" Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 8:32 am

The version of The War is from the ep and is a live recording, I do not know if it is the same as the Dreaming in America album, but I will check it out.

I know the Joe Strummer/Johnny Cash version of redemption song quite well... does anyone know any back story to it? Did Joe and Johnny really record it together or is it cut and paste from their own versions of the song?
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: 25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label"   25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label" Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 8:39 am

Glad that you liked the Cobra Skulls song... they can be quite a political band but I must warn you Cobracoustic is not their typical sound. I would not let people know you listen to them if you are living in Qatar as they can be quite contreversial... the first album is called Draw Muhammed and their best song "An Ode To Jefferson" has the chorus "...we don't fuck with your bible, so don't fuck with my constitution!"

They also hit areas like gay rights, stem cell research and other fun subjects!
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: 25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label"   25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label" Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 9:11 am

Kropo I just downloaded the file and it did have the Joe Strummer song... the file should be 09 Joe Strummer - Johnny Appleseed

check again to see if it is there, if not redownload pt 1
Back to top Go down
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: 25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label"   25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label" Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 9:41 am

I'll try it again - but I did double check at work ... anyhow! I'm sure most people here wouldn't know who the CS's are anyway!

And I have heard that Redemption song cover by Joe Strummer / Cash - it is awesome!
Back to top Go down
rhg5010
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label"   25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label" Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 10:42 am

I can't lie.... I love that Jason Mraz song. Nice start. This is a really good mixture of new and old. Johnny Appleseed is one of my all time Strummer favorites
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/JabarPSU
Stevearm
Wooderson
Wooderson
Stevearm

PostSubject: Re: 25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label"   25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label" Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 9:02 pm

I thought "We are "sworn order takers" not policy makers." came from the song Back To The World - Street Dogs, great band by the way. Downloading now Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/stevearm
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: 25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label"   25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label" Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 9:06 pm

Stevearm wrote:
I thought "We are "sworn order takers" not policy makers." came from the song Back To The World - Street Dogs, great band by the way. Downloading now Very Happy

it is... and here is a photo of me singing that song a few years back
25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label" Street10
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: 25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label"   25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label" Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 9:09 pm

that's so sick. i wish i was one of those guys that the band pulls onstage to sing every time they're in town. The Souls pulled a guy onstage to sing Argyle, and they said he'd done it like 10 times before, in like 3 different states. maybe i need to start wearing a kilt

also, Back To the World was the first Street Dogs song i heard, and it's still one of my favorites, even though their last two albums were much better than their first two, i think

and my bad about The War. i just assumed it was the acoustic version from Nobody's Darlings, which pales in comparison to how Ben plays and sings it live
Back to top Go down
Stevearm
Wooderson
Wooderson
Stevearm

PostSubject: Re: 25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label"   25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label" Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 12:48 am

ahh well you're lucky..I have never even seen a band play live o.O
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/stevearm
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: 25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label"   25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label" Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 12:53 am

e7c - are you wearing a MisfitS shirt dude? Hope so! Cause then I have a little surprise for you next week! ;-)
Back to top Go down
tigrr13
A Contender
A Contender
tigrr13

PostSubject: Re: 25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label"   25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label" Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 4:31 am

! C:\Users\Reen\Music\Echo Seven Charlie.zip: CRC failed in Echo Seven Charlie\09 Joe Strummer - Johnny Appleseed.m4a. The file is corrupt

WinRAR doesn't seem to like this track Sad
Back to top Go down
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: 25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label"   25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label" Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 5:59 am

Hey e7c -

I tried again and this is what happened:

The file appears in the zip folder when downloaded but will not transfer out of it onto my computer.

In the unzipped file it is not there.

Anyways, the rest of the songs are plenty good enough!
Back to top Go down
lynchyeatspizza
Wooderson
Wooderson
lynchyeatspizza

PostSubject: Re: 25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label"   25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label" Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 6:08 am

Kropotkin wrote:
Hey e7c -

I tried again and this is what happened:

The file appears in the zip folder when downloaded but will not transfer out of it onto my computer.

In the unzipped file it is not there.

Anyways, the rest of the songs are plenty good enough!

I had the same problem Kropo. When unzipping using the extract all it told me the .zip file was broken or something, so then i tried unzipping the file with 7-zip. It's a free program which unzips .zip, .rar and a few other types of files. And it said there was an error in the Johhny Appleseed file, but i managed to open it and it works fine.
So I'm not really sure how to fix this. But maybe just don't worry about it. I'm sure most people have already listened to Joe Strummer. And if they havn't hear is a link to the song:
Code:
http://dodge77.com/SIRIUS/Joe%20Strummer%20&%20The%20Mescaleros%20-%20Johnny%20Appleseed.mp3
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lynchy911
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: 25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label"   25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label" Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 8:39 am

I agree, it's all good - just thought I'd let people know is all. What an awesome song though!
Back to top Go down
rhg5010
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label"   25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label" Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 7:16 pm

I like the title of this mix too. I'd definitely say Two Cow Garage fits it perfectly.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/JabarPSU
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: 25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label"   25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label" Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 4:15 am

Have any of you listened to a band because of the name? I bought some Surf Punks for that reason. Sometimes for artwork reasons too, like Sepultra.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label"   25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label" Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 5:39 am

I've got the mix but haven't had the time to give it a full listen yet. I'm pleased a couple of Against Me! tracks appear 'cos they're a band I've heard a lot about (on here!) and was interested in checking out...
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: 25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label"   25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label" Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 1:48 pm

well, those two AM! songs are good examples of Tom Gabel's excellent writing, but they don't really represent the sound of most of their songs. get the albums Reinventing Axl Rose and As the Eternal Cowboy. those are the best examples of their style of playing
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: 25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label"   25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label" Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 2:13 pm

Jukebox Romeo wrote:
well, those two AM! songs are good examples of Tom Gabel's excellent writing, but they don't really represent the sound of most of their songs. get the albums Reinventing Axl Rose and As the Eternal Cowboy. those are the best examples of their style of playing

true, those songs are not typical AM! at all, but the lyrics really are amazing.
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: 25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label"   25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label" Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 2:19 pm

oh yeah, definitely incredible songs. some of my favorite AM! songs are the slower ones, like Searching For a Former Clarity or 8 Full Hours of Sleep. i just didn't want him to hear those songs and check out some other songs and be surprised by the difference
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label"   25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

25 - 31 May e7c's playlist "Whiskey Rock - Blue Label"
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next