DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Recording Questions

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

Recording Questions Empty
PostSubject: Recording Questions   Recording Questions Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 3:04 pm

Alright, now that I'm becoming a full-time myspace recording artist, I need to figure out the best way to get good quality audio recordings of myself on a pretty tight budget. Right now, I'm rocking this thing: http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-VN3100PC-Digital-Voice-Recorder/dp/B000I5JMYW

I got it a few years ago, and the sound quality's not the best. I did figure out how to record multiple tracks with this (record guitar only, put it on my ipod, listen to it with headphones while I record vox only on the recorder, put them together in audacity), but this is somewhat time-consuming, and hard to match up the tracks perfectly.

So, how can I get the best sound quality out of this thing? I'm talking direction of mic, placement of recorder (height/distance from me), etc. Or is there a relatively cheap newer product that would work a lot better than this? Thanks for any help I get
Back to top Go down
JoshRaymond
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JoshRaymond

PostSubject: Re: Recording Questions   Recording Questions Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 4:28 pm

its hard to find decent recording stuff

i got nothing bro
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Recording Questions   Recording Questions Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 4:31 pm

thanks for all your help, seriously. from the bottom of my heart, thank you
Back to top Go down
Shallow
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Recording Questions   Recording Questions Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 4:34 pm

I wish I could help. I'll ask sonme of my friends that doi the same thign, but most of them have makeshift studios, not just digital recorders.
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Recording Questions   Recording Questions Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 4:38 pm

yeah, i'm just chillin in my room playing right now. i've tried it in the bathroom, and it gives it a fuller tone, but there's a weird echo thing going on. i'm working on this multiple track recording thing. hopefully it'll give me a little bit better sound quality, but it seems every time i record the vocals, by the second verse, i've sped up way past the music for some reason. maybe i'm just retarded
Back to top Go down
geezfools
A Contender
A Contender
geezfools

PostSubject: Re: Recording Questions   Recording Questions Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 9:32 pm

zoom H4 or if you have the money Zoom H4n
4 track recording, can do two tracks at once and as far as I know, you can record one track, then play it back and record on another track. Mine is in transit right now, so I don't know for sure, but I've been reading up on them quite a bit and I remember reading something about it. I got mine for $160 shipped, you can get them cheaper, generally towards $200, just depends on how long you wanna wait until the right deal comes along.
Back to top Go down
http://18milesaminute.wordpress.com
TonyRockyHorror
A Contender
A Contender
TonyRockyHorror

PostSubject: Re: Recording Questions   Recording Questions Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 4:59 pm

man...the H4n looks really nice...i might look into selling my H2 and upgrading.

i LOVE my H2. all of my recordings were done on it. and you can get them for just over $100 now, it looks like.

there's also the option of putting your money on a decent mic/preamp/PC interface and recording directly to a laptop or desktop computer.

that said, something like one of the Zooms let you record anywhere you want, without the pain of setting up infrastructure.
Back to top Go down
http://dclivetracks.com
geezfools
A Contender
A Contender
geezfools

PostSubject: Re: Recording Questions   Recording Questions Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 8:49 pm

I got my H4 today actually, just starting messing with it a little bit. Can't wait to hit up some shows and try this thing out. The H4n is an even more amazing guy, but can't really justify the cost, not that I could really justify the $150 I spent on the H4(screaming deal on eBay), but yeah...
Back to top Go down
http://18milesaminute.wordpress.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recording Questions   Recording Questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Recording Questions
Page 1 of 1