DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Get hurt: revisited

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
magnificentdreamer
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
magnificentdreamer

Get hurt: revisited Empty
PostSubject: Get hurt: revisited   Get hurt: revisited Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2021 7:38 pm

Hey everyone,

It's been a while, and even longer since I've given Get Hurt a close listen. I watched Brian's acoustic livestream of the whole album and loved it! I really liked the stripped down arrangements, and prefer them to the album versions in some cases. And as always Brian's banter and commentary was funny and insightful. I also thought the the songs themselves have aged quite well. I feel like I was generally pretty positive about it when it came out (at least more so than some fans and critics), but still considered it to be their weakest album.

I still think it's flawed and not their best work - some lyrics just don't quite work and some of the different sonic things going on don't always mesh. But overall, it is a bold and very good record that seems to hit harder now than when it came out. I think Stay Vicious, 1,000 Years, the title track, Stray Paper, Break Your Heart, and Have Mercy (which Brian acknowledges definitely should have made the official record) are especially great. They could have kept rewriting The 59 Sound and Handwritten over and over, but they tried something different and a little weird, and I really respect that. What do you folks think? Has your attitude towards Get Hurt changed at all 7 years on?
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

Get hurt: revisited Empty
PostSubject: Re: Get hurt: revisited   Get hurt: revisited Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2021 6:52 am

This forum is very slow nowadays, so you're getting a very late response.

Get Hurt has been one of my favorite Gaslight records ever since it came out. I remember almost crying when I heard the title track for the first time, I remember being blown away by Stray Paper, Red Violins, Have Mercy (probably in their top 5 songs ever). I can see why people don't like it, and it does have its flaws, but it's such a heartfelt, dark, broken person kind of record. Alongside Handwritten it's definitely my favorite Gaslight record. I don't really listen to SoS, 59' Sound or AS anymore, unfortunately.

Fantastic record!
Back to top Go down

Get hurt: revisited
Page 1 of 1