DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

SOS or 59 Sound?

Go down 
+18
MCStevepants
e7c
tomttt
dolan
Forum Owner
Vibes
losethetragic
ktp
Asleepontheforestfloor
xstevenbx
liveit
Daire
JoshRaymond
Jukebox Romeo
Chris
brick
Stalls_Standing
stephendgaf
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Sink or Swim or The '59 Sound
Sink or Swim
SOS or 59 Sound? - Page 2 Vote_lcap36%SOS or 59 Sound? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 36% [ 25 ]
The '59 Sound
SOS or 59 Sound? - Page 2 Vote_lcap41%SOS or 59 Sound? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 41% [ 28 ]
Don't make me choose!
SOS or 59 Sound? - Page 2 Vote_lcap23%SOS or 59 Sound? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 23% [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 69

AuthorMessage
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

SOS or 59 Sound? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOS or 59 Sound?   SOS or 59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 1:38 am

Well said Vibes. At first I didn't like the 59' sound but it has totally grown on me, both are wicked awesome albums in their own ways. I just can't choose!
Back to top Go down
https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com
dolan
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
dolan

PostSubject: Re: SOS or 59 Sound?   SOS or 59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 6:31 am

got into them through '59 sound, but I prefer sink or swim. The lyrics in my eyes are better, and its a more energetic record , plus I love red in the morning and boomboxes is my favourite song by them
Back to top Go down
tomttt
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: SOS or 59 Sound?   SOS or 59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 7:15 pm

SOS for sure. The '59 Sound is great, but I miss the raw sound of SOS.
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: SOS or 59 Sound?   SOS or 59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 8:04 pm

I did not expect the poll to be this close... I voted for SOS, but I thought for sure that 59 would dominate... my logic behind this is that I have yet to meet anyone that does not like the 59 sound
Back to top Go down
Stalls_Standing
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Stalls_Standing

PostSubject: Re: SOS or 59 Sound?   SOS or 59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 8:26 pm

1. Boomboxes and Dictionaries
"If you're scared of the future tonight, we'll just take it each hour one at a time"
All about driving round town, perfect. I love to drive

2. I Coul'da Been a Contender
Epic chorus, has a bit of a negi vibe, and a good dark edge to it

3. Wooderson
"This town is a prison with these four walls closing in" How I feel about my hometown, trapped can't get out!"
"Ain't comin back until the morning light" The tale of so many of my nights out

4. We Came to Dance
A fairytale of just going out dancing with girls. Not even in a sinister way!

5. 1930
"I love you more than the stars in the sky but you're name escapes me tonight" Nuff Said.

6. Navesink Banks
Another great dark edged song, acoustic storytelling round a campfire in a song!

8. I'da Called You Woody, Joe
Where do I start? Arguably the best song they've done. Possibly the best tribute I've ever heard to Joe Strummer, I just wish he was alive to hear it.

9. Angry Johnny and the Radio
Making the best of any situation "Still believe it John we lived those nights like we were dying"

10. Drive
Again, driving soundtrack of the year. Just been to berlin to see them for the first time, driving back from the airport after no sleep, my brother and two mates are all fast asleep in the car, and I'm driving us home.
"If you're too tired go to sleep my brothers I'm alright to drive."

11. We're Getting a Divorce You Keep the Diner
Any situation, and dilemma, close my eyes "Stay hungry, stay free and do the best you can" great motto to live life by and a nod to the clash too

12. Red at Night
Billy Bragg cover (ish) "Irish name and an injury, blessing and a curse cast down on me" I come from a Irish background, Billy Bragg is a king.
Back to top Go down
JoshRaymond
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JoshRaymond

PostSubject: Re: SOS or 59 Sound?   SOS or 59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 8:58 pm

nice breakdown couldnt have said it better
Back to top Go down
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: SOS or 59 Sound?   SOS or 59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 5:13 am

They both offer so much, I can't wait to see what the 3rd album has in store for us fans.

It's not like they're going to get all big-headed and try weird shit.

I'd bet we have an EP by November or December and an album around March next year. If the EP is anything like SeƱor, soundwise, it'll be a progression from The '59 Sound to where they're going to be in the 2010 record.

If you ever notice on SeƱor, SeƱor and the Queen sounds pretty similar to SoS, Elvis though discovers something new. I remember listening and Elvis hit me and I was like whoa, they've got something here. Then Say I Won't sort of wavers between where they were and where they're going and then Blue Jeans really starts with the big references, and really gets a sound going that pushes into The '59 Sound.

I think the things they do are going to be progressions and we're going to be able to hear them. It's not like they're going to come out with a brand new sound one day, the tracks will progress in the right way so the fans don't get scared off and that is the beauty of Gaslight.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com
liveit
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: SOS or 59 Sound?   SOS or 59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 7:04 pm

Kropotkin wrote:
Well said Vibes. At first I didn't like the 59' sound but it has totally grown on me, both are wicked awesome albums in their own ways. I just can't choose!

Totally off subject but- I have to chuckle at "wicked awesome". That's a "Boston" thing to say. I'm about 50 minutes north of there, people outside of the area make fun of me for saying "wicked".
Back to top Go down
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: SOS or 59 Sound?   SOS or 59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 9:17 pm

I love when you hear a random "wicked" in a conversation because you just know that someone's from Boston. City of fucking champions. I love that place.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com
MCStevepants
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
MCStevepants

PostSubject: Re: SOS or 59 Sound?   SOS or 59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 1:19 pm

59 Sound for sure. SOS is just a little too amateurish at points, that's not to say I don't love it.
Back to top Go down
LBAZ
A Contender
A Contender
LBAZ

PostSubject: Re: SOS or 59 Sound?   SOS or 59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 3:37 pm

I will always say 59 Sound because it was how I first discovered them so it's special in that way.
It was Sink and Swim, however, that cemented my love for their music.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/nomies_alien_lover
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: SOS or 59 Sound?   SOS or 59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 4:08 pm

comeback! SoS is only up one in the poll now
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: SOS or 59 Sound?   SOS or 59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 9:27 pm

Tough one. Senor was got me into the band. Sos was awesome and was what realy made me love the band and style etc. However I find myself constantly thinking lyrically speaking SoS (and the EP) is just incredible whereas musically 59 sound was far more diverse and well written.

Its a real toss up would probably have to go with SoS only just purely because I had that CD on non stop on my trip 3 and half month trip around Australia this time last year.
Back to top Go down
manz
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: SOS or 59 Sound?   SOS or 59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 1:30 am

The '59 Sound.

It's really hard for me to explain this as clearly as I've just seen a few of you do. I won't bore you with details, but an unbelievable number of really important things have changed in my life during the past 6 months, mostly having to do with people I really care about moving away or just falling out. Let me explain where The '59 Sound comes in.

During this really hard period I just mentioned, I was visiting one of my best friends who'd just moved to Miami, and Alkaline Trio, Thrice and Rise Against happened to be playing in Pompano Beach that week. We got to the amphitheater and found out that there was some band opening for them. When they took the stage and started playing, I heard so many things in their music, so many little parts that felt as if they had been taken from every band I ever loved. They were better than the other three bands put together.

It started raining like hell after the show, but I stood in the rain 20 minutes to get The '59 Sound. I was leaving Miami the following morning, and that night my friend and I listened to the record all night.

I fell in love with every single aspect of it, particularly the vocals and the words. I don't know if anyone else feels like this...but to me they speak of being stuck between melancholy and thirst for life...like "fighting for the future and begging for the past", while still trying to just go out, live your life, and make some good memories.

That was exactly where I was at that moment, and pretty much where I am still. Since, I've heard both SoS and SeƱor and the Queen...but nothing hits home like The '59 Sound.

And that's the best I can do to explain my love for this band. I realize that was pretty long, and thanks to anyone who bothered reading it all. Smile
Back to top Go down
geezfools
A Contender
A Contender
geezfools

PostSubject: Re: SOS or 59 Sound?   SOS or 59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 1:38 am

sink or swim anyday

by the way, the first gaslight LP I bought was Sink or Swim on the red/white streak, when it was still easily available from no idea, wish I had bought ten of them at that point, hehe.
Back to top Go down
http://18milesaminute.wordpress.com
LBAZ
A Contender
A Contender
LBAZ

PostSubject: Re: SOS or 59 Sound?   SOS or 59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 12:51 pm

All the records have the quality to just get to you.
They all get under your skin and get to that part that makes you feel something.
You know?

All 2 and a half records do that for me but in different ways.
Sink or Swim is raw and Senor and the Queen and '59 sound is coming to terms almost with the raw feelings on Sink or Swim. Saying, 'you know what? I have no money, the world is fucked up and I've lost some of my closest friends but I'm going to take my lady down to the coast and we are going to dance all night long.' Its music that kinda fears the worst but at the same time hopes for the best. A place that I've been in for a while.
I guess thats why their music gets me.
You can relate to it even if you aren't from New Jersey or experience the things they do.
Thats my interpretation of it.

You guys may see it a different way.
Everyone is a critic.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/nomies_alien_lover
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SOS or 59 Sound?   SOS or 59 Sound? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SOS or 59 Sound?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2