DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews)

Go down 
+9
Fairycat101
Keele
Anya_TGA
outerheaven
kjakm
enola
Fail
cowgirlwiththeblues
steady now steady now
13 posters
AuthorMessage
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews) Empty
PostSubject: BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews)   BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2016 7:28 pm

That was such an awesome and different show that it deserves its own thread. Please share your impressions, videos, photos, and boots here.

Brian clearly loved it, as did all of us. The silence during each song, the mighty applause, and the uproarious laughter said it all. And there were quite a few moist eyes.

Huge thanks to Brian for making this evening as special as it turned out. And good to see so many Dimestore Saints. I'd like to think that 'Navesink Banks' was especially for us ...

Last edited by steady now steady now on Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:22 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
cowgirlwiththeblues
Wooderson
Wooderson
cowgirlwiththeblues

PostSubject: Re: BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews)   BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2016 8:02 pm

Absolutely incredible show. I'm still buzzing now, all the shows I've been to this week have been great, but this one was in a category all its own. I laughed a bit, cried a bit and grinned like a loon pretty much all night. Especially enjoyed the Dylan cover (Don't Think Twice, It's Alright) we all know that's an important song for Brian and it was lovely that he put so much time into learning it for us.

Honestly, this was right up there with meeting him on Saturday night, and both of those things are way above pretty much anything else that has ever happened to me!

Also, it was lovely to meet some of you guys, and I too had a smile at the 'Dimestore Saints' line in Navesink Banks, knowing there were a good few of us there.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews)   BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2016 8:13 pm

Here's what Brian wrote on Instagram just now:

"April 11th Old St Pancras church. One of my favorite shows of my life. Thank you London."

and

"Sometimes I do a show in one of the oldest churches in London, with people buried all over the place, and trees Dickens talked about... and for a second I don't feel like I belong on another planet."

Last edited by steady now steady now on Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fail
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Fail

PostSubject: Re: BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews)   BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2016 9:21 pm

Ugh, I hate you all, you lucky bastards. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

PostSubject: Re: BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews)   BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2016 3:21 am

I am still lost for words. I mean I had really high expectations for this gig but he exceeded all of them! It was everything I hoped for and more. Such a special night!

Here is the setlist (Smoke & Hurricane not played):

BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews) Image12

And the first video I found on youtube. A stunning cover of Bob Dylan's 'Don't Think Twice, It's All Right':

Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
kjakm
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews)   BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2016 4:42 am

That was one of the best shows I've ever been to. I actually didn't realise it was a solo show until I got there which made me pretty excited and he still blew me away. The setting was incredible, the crowd were absolutely great and I loved the set. It was really great to hear Brian explain some of the songs and spend so much time talking to the crowd too. The Dylan cover was one of the highlights for me. I've been playing guitar nearly 20 years and have never been able to get that song down. It's really difficult to fingerpick properly so I was pretty happy for Brian because he nailed it. All in all between Friday and KOKO and last night that was the best weekend.
Back to top Go down
outerheaven
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews)   BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2016 2:51 pm

Hope theres a boot.

Always love to see big record companies organise "fan only" events by forcing people to buy direct from them.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews)   BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2016 5:04 pm

Found it hard to get a good photo, as the two table lamps were it as far as lighting went, if you ignore the odd candle. So this is the best I got. Does capture the atmosphere though.

BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews) BFstpancras20162
Back to top Go down
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Anya_TGA

PostSubject: Re: BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews)   BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2016 6:49 pm

oh wow must have been awesome...I am so jealous...
during that time..I was sitting in class -.- and I was thinking of you lucky guys
Back to top Go down
Keele
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews)   BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2016 11:49 pm

Kevin Devine recorded a live acoustic album at St Pancras that was released earlier this year. Wish Brian had done the same. I'd love to see him do covers EP as a way to wrap up the Painkillers era with Atlantic City full band, Don't Think twice and two or three more songs that he's been touring.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews)   BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews) Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2016 7:30 am

outerheaven wrote:
Hope theres a boot.

Always love to see big record companies organise "fan only" events by forcing people to buy direct from them.

In this case I think it was worth it. The total quiet during the songs really showed that everyone there was there to hear Brian and that they took the gig as seriously as he did. That mutual respect was to a great extent what allowed allowed it to turn into such a special night.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews)   BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews) Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2016 3:19 pm

review

from http://teamrock.com/feature/2016-04-13/brian-fallon-church

Five Things We Learned Watching Brian Fallon Play In An Old Church

by Paul Brannigan

For those about to rock, we salute pew

To round off his current sell-out UK tour, Brian Fallon played a special stripped-down show for just 150 fans in North London’s beautiful St. Pancras Old Church. Here’s what we learned...

For Brian Fallon, Painkillers is the sound of liberation

The most significant lyric on Brian Fallon’s debut solo album occurs on Nobody Wins, when the New Jersey-born singer-songwriter writes “I lost most of myself pleasing everyone.” Tonight, while a genuine treat for hardcore fans, is about the 36-year-old challenging and pleasing himself, with no crutches to lean on. When TeamRock spoke with Fallon ahead of the release of Painkillers, he expressed his desire to take his new music to the masses in a more spontaneous fashion, ideally switching between full band shows and stripped-back solo performances, and here, with his band The Crowes watching on from the balcony, the merit of this approach is evident, with his songs taking on a new resonance in this most naked of formats. Unburdened of the responsibility of leading a collective, with just a guitar and harmonica for company, Fallon looks as happy as he’s ever been.

The spiritual side of Fallon’s songwriting shines in this house of God

As much as Brian Fallon tried to push the boundaries of his band’s sound, in the months before he placed The Gaslight Anthem on hiatus he came to accept the idea that, for a large part of his audience, TGA would always be “the rock band that sings about the radio and the girls and the cars.” Tonight, however, offers emphatic proof that there’s much more depth, soul and spirituality to Fallon’s songwriting beyond these classic rock ‘n’ roll tropes. The Horrible Crowes’ I Believe Jesus Brought Us Together is an entirely apposite introduction to the evening, and lyrics such as “Do you believe there's a heaven? Do you think we're invited?” take on an added poignancy in this hushed, reverential setting. Fallon has never overtly pushed his Christian beliefs in his music, but his explorations of faith and conscience and sin and regret in the likes of Ladykiller and Red Lights carry an undeniable weight and significance when pared back for this congregation.

Precious few of Fallon’s peers have a catalogue this strong

Painkillers might be Brian Fallon’s debut solo collection, but those familiar with his career will be aware that, beyond TGA, Fallon has written and recorded music as The Horrible Crowes, with Molly and the Zombies and under his own name in the past, and consequently, he has an extensive, and rich, catalogue to draw upon. The singer switched up his set list on each night of his UK tour, and tonight he elects to omit new audience favourites Rosemary and Smoke while making room for Gaslight standards The Navesink Banks and National Anthem and a spine-tingling version of Bob Dylan’s Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right. It’s entirely understandable that Fallon doesn’t wish to lean too hard on his past while moving forward, and wholly commendable that he doesn’t choose to rely on Gaslight songs to flesh out his set – three days earlier at Koko, no Gaslight songs were aired - but it’s a measure of his confidence and self-assurance this evening that he allows echoes of the past to ring out and they never threaten to overpower his new compositions.

Fallon, and his audience, need not fear getting a little loose

It might seem like a curious complaint, but the beauty and intimacy of this setting, and the innate sense among those watching that tonight is a rare privilege to see Fallon so undecorated, ensures that, for all Fallon’s self-deprecating wisecracks and easy charm, the atmosphere this evening is almost too reverential. No-one dares elevate their singing voice above a whisper, and this respectful tone consequently ensures that some of the sense of euphoric communion in-built in songs such as A Wonderful Life and Among Other Foolish Things is muted. Some of the fragility and tenderness of Fallon’s songwriting would undoubtedly suffer in more boisterous environs, but there’s probably scope for both the man and his faithful following to loosen up and allow a little punk rock energy to permeate the solemnity now and again without despoiling the atmosphere.

For Brian Fallon, the road ahead is now wide open

Much of the romance in The Gaslight Anthem’s music, as with the songs of Fallon’s heroes Bruce Springsteen and Tom Petty, draws upon the timeless American concept of the open road, and the sense of infinite possibility offered by journeying towards distant horizons. For Brian Fallon, unfettered by the past and newly emboldened by successful experimentation in terms of presentation and form, that sense of mythic freedom is now a genuine reality in his career. Beyond demonstrating that he’s one of the finest songwriters of his generation, tonight’s performance is a fine illustration that Fallon now has the opportunity to push his art into whatever direction he chooses, and the confidence to take leaps into the unknown. Gaslight fans might be advised not to hold their breath waiting for the band’s return, for one senses here that Brian Fallon’s career is only just beginning.
Back to top Go down
Fairycat101
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Fairycat101

PostSubject: Re: BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews)   BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews) Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2016 6:01 pm

What an absolutely amazing show, it was such a priviledge to be there. I couldn't really find the words to describe it, and the few photos I have are horrible, but here's my take on my blog:

http://thefangirldiaries.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/brian-fallon-live-at-st-pancras-old.html
Back to top Go down
http://thefangirldiaries.blogspot.com
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews)   BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews) Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 5:21 am

Fairycat101 wrote:
What an absolutely amazing show, it was such a priviledge to be there. I couldn't really find the words to describe it, and the few photos I have are horrible, but here's my take on my blog:

http://thefangirldiaries.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/brian-fallon-live-at-st-pancras-old.html

That's a great 'review'. Thank you for sharing it.

I found some pro-shot pics here: http://www.thelineofbestfit.com/photos/live-photo-gallery/brian-fallon-at-st-pancras-old-church-in-london
Back to top Go down
cowgirlwiththeblues
Wooderson
Wooderson
cowgirlwiththeblues

PostSubject: Re: BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews)   BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews) Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 5:49 am

Enjoyed that review, but disagree with the bit about the audience being too reverential.  I was there to see my favourite musician perform in a way I’ll most likely never see again; I didn’t want to hear the people around me singing out of tune, I wanted to hear every nuance of the performance.  I thought it was perfect that everybody in the room had enough respect for Brian and for each other to allow that.  There was plenty of communal euphoria between the songs, and everybody was clearly having an amazing time.  I for one felt very much a part of a group that was witnessing something really special.

The light was a little low to get really good pics (and those pro shot ones are far better than mine!) but here’s some anyway.

BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews) Img_1614

BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews) Img_1612

BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews) Img_1613
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews)   BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews) Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 7:17 am

Great pictures. Must have been special indeed!

Reminds me of the Revival Tour a few years ago in Amsterdam (the one with Dave Hause, Chuck & Dan Adriano), when they had to change the venue for some reason and it ended up being held in a church. Best show I've ever been to, I'll never forget it.
Back to top Go down
kjakm
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews)   BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews) Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 10:47 am

cowgirlwiththeblues wrote:
Enjoyed that review, but disagree with the bit about the audience being too reverential.  

Totally agree. I actually went really excited for a big sing-along but I'm much happier with the way it turned out. The versions of the songs he played wouldn't have worked with everyone signing anyway it was a very subtle performance and in between songs there was a great atmosphere.
Back to top Go down
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Anya_TGA

PostSubject: Re: BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews)   BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews) Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 6:39 pm

wow amazing pictures
Back to top Go down
Ashburtongeorge
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Ashburtongeorge

PostSubject: Re: BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews)   BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2016 1:52 pm

kjakm wrote:
cowgirlwiththeblues wrote:
Enjoyed that review, but disagree with the bit about the audience being too reverential.  

Totally agree. I actually went really excited for a big sing-along but I'm much happier with the way it turned out. The versions of the songs he played wouldn't have worked with everyone signing anyway it was a very subtle performance and in between songs there was a great atmosphere.

Completely agree as well! It was definitely improved by just allowing Brian to do his thing without interruption or overpowering his voice by all singing along

Listening to all his stories in between was fantastic as well
Back to top Go down
shiftynj
A Contender
A Contender
shiftynj

PostSubject: Re: BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews)   BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews) Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2016 10:17 am

Extremely jealous, and extremely grateful for the person who posted the boot.
Back to top Go down
http://vergeofjordan.blogspot.com
ivienco
A Contender
A Contender
ivienco

PostSubject: Re: BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews)   BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews) Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2016 11:42 am

It was hands down the best show I've ever been to. As you can see, it took over a week for me to finally come down cloud no. 9 after this and post something hahahah.
I'm gonna cherish this memory forever along with the solo acoustic show Tony Sly did in Santa Barbara in 2011 where there were merely about 20 people, me among them. That was amazing and this one was pretty much as special.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews)   BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

BF solo gig at St Pancras Old Church, London (incl. long reviews)
Page 1 of 1