DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo

Go down 
+10
Keele
jonnyz83
cowgirlwiththeblues
Rose1991
The_River
MKULTRA
riversedge
miked331
Anya_TGA
enola
14 posters
AuthorMessage
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo Empty
PostSubject: Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo   Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2016 5:22 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Anya_TGA

PostSubject: Re: Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo   Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2016 8:11 pm

I really like that version of the song
Back to top Go down
miked331
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo   Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2016 10:29 pm

Far superior version
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo   Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2016 10:59 pm

miked331 wrote:
Far superior version

interested why you think that?
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

PostSubject: Re: Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo   Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2016 2:36 am

nice. great tune. i like the direction he went with this one. i kinda wish that there was more going on with the drums and claps though. they're super prominent, which is cool. but not super interesting or groovy imo.

forgot how great these lyrics are.
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo   Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2016 8:36 am

Wow, better not voice my opinion on one of my favorite track Brian ever wrote... At least I still have the MATZ version.
Back to top Go down
miked331
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo   Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2016 10:07 am

riversedge wrote:
miked331 wrote:
Far superior version

interested why you think that?

I think the tempo gives it more life and the vocals are better. Still love the MATZ version but that feels like a demo to me and this is more fleshed out.
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo   Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2016 12:48 pm

I think the bass work so far on this record is really great.
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

PostSubject: Re: Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo   Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2016 3:03 pm

It's also on iTunes now. If you preordered the album you can download Smoke now!
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
Rose1991
A Contender
A Contender
Rose1991

PostSubject: Re: Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo   Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2016 12:20 am

I love Brian just as much as any of us so I hope he never sees this, but this version is awful. Listening to it is like trying to walk through molasses. Did he rewrite it in 3/4 time or something? It's like the original Smoke got together with The Blues, Mary and this is their surprisingly ugly child. I hate this and I hate the new Long Drives. Sorry to be so harsh, but I don't understand why Brian would take a song that was so perfect and so alive and put a leash and a muzzle on it like it was an unruly dog. Ugh.
Back to top Go down
cowgirlwiththeblues
Wooderson
Wooderson
cowgirlwiththeblues

PostSubject: Re: Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo   Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2016 6:04 am

I'm actually starting to warm to it. The slower tempo makes it sound kind of sinister, which works well with the lyrics. I still prefer the original, but I can see why he wouldn't just want to do exactly the same thing again.
Back to top Go down
jonnyz83
A Contender
A Contender
jonnyz83

PostSubject: Re: Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo   Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2016 10:52 am

Rose1991 wrote:
I love Brian just as much as any of us so I hope he never sees this, but this version is awful. Listening to it is like trying to walk through molasses. Did he rewrite it in 3/4 time or something? It's like the original Smoke got together with The Blues, Mary and this is their surprisingly ugly child. I hate this and I hate the new Long Drives. Sorry to be so harsh, but I don't understand why Brian would take a song that was so perfect and so alive and put a leash and a muzzle on it like it was an unruly dog. Ugh.

I will respectfully disagree. This was my favorite MATZ song.... and yet I still LOVE this new version. I love the slower tempo. I REALLY LOVE the addition of the piano. I wish Brian would include a piano more in his music to be honest.

But music is subjective - and we can agree to disagree. Smile
Back to top Go down
Keele
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo   Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2016 2:53 pm

I relying heavily on the fact that we are lucky enough to have the Red Bull sessions.

Long Drives was my favourite Molly and the Zombies song, and I know it'll be different based on the feedback about the record. I want Painkillers to feel new as a whole. If that means changing some of the Molly songs to Brain's Painkiller versions of the songs then that's fine by me. It's like having six songs instead of three, and I (as does each listener) get to decide which version I like more (or the same but different).
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo   Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2016 10:33 pm

@cowgirlwiththeblues I agree with your comment about it sounding more sinister. I like how stark this version is. It's pretty bare bones but I think the slower tempo almost makes it more emotional, in more of a "Goodnight Irene" groove compared to the folk shuffle tempo it had before with MATZ.
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo   Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2016 1:02 pm

I think what he's done with Long Drives is awesome!
Back to top Go down
CapedAvenger
Wooderson
Wooderson
CapedAvenger

PostSubject: Re: Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo   Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2016 8:26 am

I've listened to this version three times and right now i prefer the MATZ version. But i've heard that dozens of times so that's to be expected.

I like that it's so different to the MATZ version. As someone else said, now we can listen to whichever we prefer.

miked331 wrote:
Still love the MATZ version but that feels like a demo to me and this is more fleshed out.
Funny, i think just the opposite. Certainly the vocals sound so raw on this one it has some demo-y qualities to it. But i think i recall Brian saying he was going for that sort of sound on the record.
Back to top Go down
miked331
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo   Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2016 2:40 pm

riversedge wrote:
I think the bass work so far on this record is really great.

Cat Popper is awesome
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo   Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2016 9:28 am

The lyrics have changed a little from the original song. Also, I don't hate the new version, but still like the OG the best.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo   Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2016 6:44 pm

I must admit the new version doesn't blow me away but the MATZ version I can't get enough of. Its a different take and as a few have said we have two versions that we can listen. But yeah its far to slow and as result its really lost its X factor for me. I don't see how Long Drives' new arrangement makes it better either...
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo   Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2016 11:35 pm

Jerseyrain wrote:
I must admit the new version doesn't blow me away but the MATZ version I can't get enough of. Its a different take and as a few have said we have two versions that we can listen. But yeah its far to slow and as result its really lost its X factor for me. I don't see how Long Drives' new arrangement makes it better either...

My totally biased response: You hit the nail on the head for me regarding Smoke, but I'd give Long Drives a little time. I've only gotten to hear the new one live twice now and I'm not listening to youtube videos but I really think the new version might be better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo   Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Smoke: recorded version now on spotify and vevo
Page 1 of 1