DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Huntington, NY, 7/21/15

Go down 
+8
Rose1991
TGAFAN25
Jaws
bt211
NeverTrustAJunkie
eldoot7
cmigs
GlennR
12 posters
AuthorMessage
GlennR
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Huntington, NY, 7/21/15 Empty
PostSubject: Huntington, NY, 7/21/15   Huntington, NY, 7/21/15 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2015 1:35 am

Handwritten
High Lonesome
Biloxi Parish
Meet Me By the River's Edge
I'da Called You Woody, Joe (with Stand Be Me intro)
Film Noir
Boxer
Refugee
1,000 Years
I Coulda Been a Contender
Underneath the Ground
Have Mercy
Say I Won't (Recognize)
Senor and the Queen
Once Upon a Time
She Loves You
Howl
American Slang
The '59 Sound
Baba O'Riley

Really enjoyable show. Brian seemed to be in a real good mood. A couple of funny stories: one about his first Springsteen show; another about the Christopher Walken "More Cowbell" sketch from SNL. (Also a funny dig at Ian about Oasis music videos).

His singing was very strong, in particular on "Film Noir" and "1,000 Years." I'm sure he's done it before but I don't remember the last time he added the "You Really Got a Hold on Me" lyrics at the end of "She Loves You" and it was a nice effect.

Show was too short and there weren't enough new songs (I realize these are old complaints that aren't getting resolved anytime soon). Setting that aside, I though it was a thoughtful, well executed setlist. There was a really nice balance from all of the older albums, and some choice cuts - the pairing from the Senor EP; "Contender;" "Have Mercy;" "Boxer" were all highlights.

Plus, there was a really good build to the set - and the payoff of those last 4 songs at the end was great. I was always in favor of getting "The 59 Sound" out of the start of the setlist and indeed, it was great to have it there at the end of the show to bring everything that one step higher.

Interesting venue. Some clueless security; and it's an abomination to charge $5 for a bottle of water. BUT, the sound in the hall was fabulous.
Back to top Go down
cmigs
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Huntington, NY, 7/21/15   Huntington, NY, 7/21/15 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2015 8:54 am

Pretty much agreed all the way through.

Really loved hearing Chelsea Hotel No. 2 at the end of Have Mercy.

I know they've played it a few times on this tour, but I hadn't seen River's Edge since 2009, I think, so that was a nice treat. Also, I'da Called You Woody really hit me tonight. Sounded great.

I actually thought the show felt like a strong length, and then I looked at my phone and realized they'd played 1:40 and left with 5 minutes left before curfew (which I'm assuming was 11). If the plan is "play to curfew" - have a clock up there and add in another song if you realize you've got time. But that's a minor complaint.
Back to top Go down
eldoot7
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Huntington, NY, 7/21/15   Huntington, NY, 7/21/15 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2015 10:46 am

Incredible show. Crowd was great, set was great (loved the Refugee cover), the sound in the hall was great (as was the size of the venue).

I've seen them a few times this tour, and while they've always been a good live band, this tour has been on another level. I feel like they sound amazing everytime, and it really seems like they, Brian especially, are just having a really good time and enjoying everything and taking it all in.
Back to top Go down
cmigs
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Huntington, NY, 7/21/15   Huntington, NY, 7/21/15 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2015 10:47 am

I totally forgot the crowd! Singing along a ton, great energy.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Huntington, NY, 7/21/15   Huntington, NY, 7/21/15 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2015 6:08 pm

I just saw Royal Blood play a headline show and they did 10 songs. Just saying.
Back to top Go down
cmigs
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Huntington, NY, 7/21/15   Huntington, NY, 7/21/15 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2015 6:11 pm

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
I just saw Royal Blood play a headline show and they did 10 songs. Just saying.

Yes, but that's over 2/3 of their released songs, right?

I'm not one of those people who thinks they need to play 2 hours a night, though.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Huntington, NY, 7/21/15   Huntington, NY, 7/21/15 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2015 6:15 pm

Another band I go see has 8 studio albums out, has been out 15 years and only recently has started doing up to 20 songs. Before that (maybe til last year) they were doing 17.
Back to top Go down
cmigs
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Huntington, NY, 7/21/15   Huntington, NY, 7/21/15 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2015 6:20 pm

I think there's a lot that effects a reasonable set length for a band. I'm generally less interested in number of songs than the length of the set. If a song is 8 minutes long - well, that's different than playing a 2 minute one. (Although, when that 8 minute songs sucks, it does occur to you that they could have played two songs in that time period.)
Back to top Go down
GlennR
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Huntington, NY, 7/21/15   Huntington, NY, 7/21/15 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2015 7:02 pm

Right. Number of songs matters far less than set length.

I had a great time and don't want to come across all negative, but Brian himself talked about how they don't walk off for an encore because they are under time constraints. When he says that, I'm thinking about how they waited 15 minutes (after the stage was set) to start the show, and ended 5 minutes before curfew.

That's a lot of missed opportunity to play there.
Back to top Go down
bt211
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Huntington, NY, 7/21/15   Huntington, NY, 7/21/15 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2015 10:05 pm

eldoot7 wrote:
Incredible show.  Crowd was great, set was great (loved the Refugee cover), the sound in the hall was great (as was the size of the venue).  

I've seen them a few times this tour, and while they've always been a good live band, this tour has been on another level.  I feel like they sound amazing everytime, and it really seems like they, Brian especially, are just having a really good time and enjoying everything and taking it all in.

You are pretty much summing up how I felt about last night's show and also about this tour in general. I had such a great time.
Back to top Go down
Jaws
A Contender
A Contender
Jaws

PostSubject: Re: Huntington, NY, 7/21/15   Huntington, NY, 7/21/15 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2015 1:09 am

That was probably the best I've ever heard the band sound. The setlist was great, got to check off a few I hadn't heard live before. The crowd was really into it but still very respectful of one another, so no complaints there. Really cool venue, too.

The biggest highlight for me though, personally, was getting in line at 3:30, and then seeing five or six people show up maybe an hour or so before doors open and just cut in line because they know people at the front. I'm glad we're such a tight-knit community that we can completely forego common courtesy and line etiquette. No need to check in with the rest of the line and make sure it's cool, just jump right in and don't look back. Never mind the fact that someone who probably waited in the heat for at least a couple hours now probably isn't going to get a spot on the rail because they've been bumped back: they don't matter at all! Awesome! That was definitely the best part of the entire day.
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: Huntington, NY, 7/21/15   Huntington, NY, 7/21/15 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2015 3:13 am

Barresi wrote:

The biggest highlight for me though, personally, was getting in line at 3:30, and then seeing five or six people show up maybe an hour or so before doors open and just cut in line because they know people at the front. I'm glad we're such a tight-knit community that we can completely forego common courtesy and line etiquette. No need to check in with the rest of the line and make sure it's cool, just jump right in and don't look back. Never mind the fact that someone who probably waited in the heat for at least a couple hours now probably isn't going to get a spot on the rail because they've been bumped back: they don't matter at all! Awesome! That was definitely the best part of the entire day.

While I see where you're coming from, you come off sounding like a child who just had their toy taken away.

You know why we hold spots for people at the front of the line? It's because they're our Gaslight family. I've held spots for people, have had spots held for me. The people I hold the spots for are the people that I've met at the shows, that we lock eyes during a song down front and smile and share that moment because we've shared so many of them before.

I don't see my Gaslight family much outside of the shows, but it's part of our bond.

The shows lately have been far less of a community than they used to be. Too many people acting as silos there for themselves, not takign part in the beauty of the sing-alongs, the pogo-ing with complete strangers who just happen to love the same band you do....

You really think the 5 people who jumped in made a big difference in your night? Do you know why they did? Because that's what you chose to focus on, instead of being present at the show.

You can live life constantly seeing the negatives and be stuck in your own little world or you can share the joy. Choose to be happy.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Huntington, NY, 7/21/15   Huntington, NY, 7/21/15 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2015 5:51 am

"Never mind the fact that someone who probably waited in the heat for at least a couple hours now probably isn't going to get a spot on the rail because they've been bumped back: they don't matter at all!"

I got there at 7:15 (15 min after doors) and got on the rail. Granted I was down on the side, but that's where I'd stand if I walked in and no one was there yet anyway. Mentioning this because I don't see how someone subjected to linecutters would lose the opportunity. At least at last night's venue, cus that front row is pretty big (due to the stage being big).

I get you're just venting, but the line cutting thing is nothing new and I've just come to expect it. Just part of the aggravation that general admission shows bring that I've learned to deal with. *shrug*
Back to top Go down
Jaws
A Contender
A Contender
Jaws

PostSubject: Re: Huntington, NY, 7/21/15   Huntington, NY, 7/21/15 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2015 12:18 pm

TGAFAN25 wrote:

While I see where you're coming from, you come off sounding like a child who just had their toy taken away.

Well, first and foremost nothing got taken from me. I got the spot on the rail where I usually am. I'm not really saying this for me. I just noticed something going on that really didn't sit right with me, so I'm addressing it.

TGAFAN25 wrote:
You know why we hold spots for people at the front of the line? It's because they're our Gaslight family. I've held spots for people, have had spots held for me. The people I hold the spots for are the people that I've met at the shows, that we lock eyes during a song down front and smile and share that moment because we've shared so many of them before.

I don't see my Gaslight family much outside of the shows, but it's part of our bond.

I'm also understanding of saving a spot for one person and letting them jump in. That hardly makes a difference, and I'm sure we've all had to save a spot for someone before. And I know when I'm saving a spot for someone, I at least let the people immediately behind me know. It's just what I view as common courtesy. With that said, when it's a couple groups of people jumping in with a group of people they recognize, and nothing is said at all, that's a little harder to swallow.

I think it's great that so many of you have made close friends at shows and all share special bonds, I'm not criticizing that at all. I'm glad you can all get together at shows and hang out. And everyone I've met from here at shows before has been really friendly and nice. But that doesn't give the "Gaslight family" a monopoly over the line. And I know that's not how you meant to say it, but that's how it's coming off: like a certain group of people are more deserving of spots up front because they know each other and think of themselves as the biggest fans. And if they so please, they can just let whoever they want up to the front of the line. And that's how it comes off to some of the other people in line I've heard complaining. On Tuesday and shows before, as well.

If the line doesn't matter, why do so many people line up at noon, or one, etc.? Why were some of the people (in the line on Tuesday specifically) hanging outside the stanchions, like they knew they weren't supposed to be jumping in? But then when the doors open, they immediately slid under the rope and filed in like they were there the entire time. If there's nothing wrong with that, then why put on the act? Why even stand outside the stanchion and act like you're not going to do that? Why act like someone else is saving you a spot further down in line so you can talk to your friends at the front (totally fine!), when at 6:59 you're just going to have that person rush up and cut in with you (really lame!)?

These are rhetorical questions. The answer is because we all know it's a shitty thing to do.

TGAFAN25 wrote:
The shows lately have been far less of a community than they used to be. Too many people acting as silos there for themselves, not takign part in the beauty of the sing-alongs, the pogo-ing with complete strangers who just happen to love the same band you do....

Maybe apply this to your next quote below, instead of using it as justification for people cutting in line.

TGAFAN25 wrote:
You really think the 5 people who jumped in made a big difference in your night? Do you know why they did? Because that's what you chose to focus on, instead of being present at the show.

It took away absolutely nothing from my enjoyment of the show. I just noticed something going on that didn't seem very cool to me, and expressed that where I know other Gaslight fans would see it. Because the people who are getting stepped over and bumped out of a good spot likely are not the ones posting here. But that doesn't mean they're any less deserving of getting up front.

I don't know. The way I see it is if you want to be where you want to be, then get there early. Don't treat the other people queued up like they don't matter. The line opens at one end for a reason. If I'm in the minority, then fine, but that's the way I look at it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TGAFAN25 wrote:
You can live life constantly seeing the negatives and be stuck in your own little world or you can share the joy. Choose to be happy.

This is a little too heavy for a conversation where I'm just pointing out that people cutting in line is kind of rude/lame/bullshit. But I'll try. Very Happy

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
I got there at 7:15 (15 min after doors) and got on the rail. Granted I was down on the side, but that's where I'd stand if I walked in and no one was there yet anyway. Mentioning this because I don't see how someone subjected to linecutters would lose the opportunity. At least at last night's venue, cus that front row is pretty big (due to the stage being big).

I get you're just venting, but the line cutting thing is nothing new and I've just come to expect it. Just part of the aggravation that general admission shows bring that I've learned to deal with. *shrug*

Someone is inevitably getting pushed back, is my point. And it's really not an issue for me, I get there early enough. I've learned to deal with it too. But the fact of the matter is someone who probably spent a decent amount of time in line probably isn't getting the spot up front they wanted because people cut in. And people know that, but do it anyway. People here. And the other day it got to the point where I wanted to say something about it. So I did.
Back to top Go down
GlennR
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Huntington, NY, 7/21/15   Huntington, NY, 7/21/15 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2015 3:03 pm

Thank you for saying something. The reason that people are able to cut in line is because they are counting on no one saying anything to them about it.

Quote :
Someone is inevitably getting pushed back, is my point.
Exactly, 100%. This is why saving spots in line is not ok.

If you want to line up with friends or a group: that's great! Your spot together in the line should be when the last person in your group arrives...not the first.
Back to top Go down
Rose1991
A Contender
A Contender
Rose1991

PostSubject: Re: Huntington, NY, 7/21/15   Huntington, NY, 7/21/15 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2015 5:04 pm

Hey, try being a girl and being stuck in the motherfucking purse line while 15 guys breeze past you because they didn't need to put their entire apartment into a bag and bring it to the show with them and have it searched. That's always a picnic.

Anyway, whether or not saving spots is okay is up for debate, and personally I don't really support it, but honestly, I think if you're determined to get a rail spot, just show up early and you'll get it. The people who do end up getting bumped back probably don't care as much if they get the first row or the second or the third, so the handful of people who get ahead aren't really going to make THAT much of a difference. Does that make it okay? From a purely logical standpoint, no, but I'd rather not pick fights with people when we're all there to have a good time. (Not that anybody did; I'm just saying.) It seems like once you get into the venue, most people go to the bar or check out the merch table before heading up to the stage, so there's plenty of time to get your rail spot if you really, really want it. I've never been the first person in the door at a GA show, but I've also never not gotten my first choice spot except for one time at the HOB.

I don't think it's really fair for someone who showed up an hour before doors to get in before the people who've been sitting there since 3:00 in the afternoon, but nobody's ever ruined my night doing it, and that's because I took it upon myself to ensure I got my spot.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Huntington, NY, 7/21/15   Huntington, NY, 7/21/15 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2015 7:24 pm

"Hey, try being a girl and being stuck in the motherfucking purse line while 15 guys breeze past you"

Once at Irving Plaza, the two girls directly behind me in line outside got the last two spots on the rail cus they had their Mom check their coats. If I didn't check my coat I would have been on the rail. I got shoved so much at that show cus I didn't have the barricade to grab onto! After that, I stopped checking my coat at shows.

The people that REALLY make me mad are the ones who rudely (and usually drunkenly) shove their way up to the front and try to shove you aside during the middle of the headliner. Those are the people that can ruin a good time and inspire rage because they are physically trying to invade space that isn't even there. Sigh.
Back to top Go down
pwm112
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Huntington, NY, 7/21/15   Huntington, NY, 7/21/15 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2015 7:59 pm

This is easy and should be a national law. You may save a spot for one person and only if you are in attendance the whole time. This goes for concerts, movies, sporting events, little league, church, whatever. No one person somewhere next to 15 coats or one person putting something on each chair or 6 people joining 1 in line.
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: Huntington, NY, 7/21/15   Huntington, NY, 7/21/15 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2015 8:03 pm

pwm112 wrote:
This is easy and should be a national law. You may save a spot for one person and only if you are in attendance the whole time. This goes for concerts, movies, sporting events, little league, church, whatever.  No one person somewhere next to 15 coats or one person putting something on each chair or 6 people joining 1 in line.

My man! Tall Paul coming through in the clutch Smile

This x100

and yes, if you're going to save that spot, it is polite to ask the people around you.

Back to top Go down
turnitin2004
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Huntington, NY, 7/21/15   Huntington, NY, 7/21/15 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2015 8:53 pm

Agree this is one of the best shows of theirs I have seen in awhile. Great setlist, good crowd energy without being overly annoying and rough.

Of course when 59 sound hit the usual dude bros started to mosh right near the front row, but it was only for 2 songs so cant get too annoyed.

I think the amount of songs matters more than the length. For comparison sake I saw the foo fighters play 25 songs in 2 hours and 45 minutes at Citi Field the other day. Its cool that its long, but just means there is a tonnnnn of filler. Brian told a good story or 2, and was still able to get in 20+ songs in 90+ minutes. Would I like 28 songs in 2 hours sometimes? Sure. But this was pretty good as well.

I still have no heard bring it on live yet. One of these days maybe!
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Huntington, NY, 7/21/15   Huntington, NY, 7/21/15 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2015 4:56 am

I skim read most of this so forgive me if I missed something but I feel the need to comment since I was one of the people up front in that line in the group who ended up with a lot of joiners.

First off, I wanna say those making the arguments about "line-joining" not being cool are right in my opinion. My general belief on the subject is, inevitably, whether it's in the line or in the venue, people are going to save spots, it's unavoidable. Not everyone can arrive with their whole friend group at exactly the same time and do your really expect them to stand separately inside? That said, I personally think everyone gets only 1 freebee joiner like Paul said. Like if two people get in line together, they each get one friend who can join later (up to maybe the last hour or two before doors) no questions asked. But if you're gonna bring in more, you really should check with the people behind you if it's okay. And if it's a venue with an exceptionally small barricade, no freebee, just the asking part. And most important of all, if the person(s) you are "cutting" ask you not to, you really kinda need to respect that.  

I know exactly what this person is talking about regarding people outside the ropes suddenly joining. There was essentially two groups of us in the front who know each other from other shows. We arrive in the order that we arrive, and we look out for each other taking turns running to nearby places for bathrooms or food but we put in the time and earn the spots and if someone arrives in between our arrival, we make a point not to join together and push them back. Actually, many times we get chatting with them too and pull them into the club! We're not assholes. Or at least we don't try to be.

At this show, it started off okay, we had 1 or 2 people join only an hour or so after we had actually lined up. No big deal. The problem was when a few others spotted the people in the other group and came over to chat. I didn't know these people and they stayed on the other side of the rope, and one even talked about having seats, so I assumed they were just hangin for a bit and not joining. Sure enough, they left, came back awhile later, and then the real problem happened. Doors opened, and somehow I found myself and one guy out of that joiner group, as the first two through the door. Now I'm not sure how I ended up in the 1st two exactly but at least I was part of the first 6 people (all my friends) who started the line and we don't pay much attention to order there. But I was pissed that this guy I didn't know, who put in very little effort to actually "do his time" in the line, was the other first person through the door. And my friends, who he does know, didn't like that either and they weren't entirely sure what he was planning the whole time. It can be very awkward to tell your friends that you're uncomfortable with them joining the line. I did say this to one friend because I was very uncomfortable with how out of control it was getting. I don't know if he actually listened by the time doors opened but I tried.

Anyway, I just wanted to say as someone who was on the other side of this, I'm sorry so many people joined up late, I wish I'd said more than I did, it bothered me too, and you're right. There's a point where it's reasonable and then there's a point where it's out of control. The rest of you, please stop giving this person a hard time. He/she is right.
Back to top Go down
pwm112
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Huntington, NY, 7/21/15   Huntington, NY, 7/21/15 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2015 8:43 am

pwm112 wrote:
This is easy and should be a national law. You may save a spot for one person and only if you are in attendance the whole time. This goes for concerts, movies, sporting events, little league, church, whatever.  No one person somewhere next to 15 coats or one person putting something on each chair or 6 people joining 1 in line.

Amending myself and working on one of the pillars of my platform when I run.

You may save 1 spot and only yif ou are there the whole time. You can't save a spot if you are in the first 10. You can, but if the person joins you, you have to go back to 11-12 in line. Also I will call this the Chameleon rule. If the place has very few premium spots they have to publish on their website, no holding spots. Then its on you to show up or not. I will have laminated flowcharts to distribute.

Really though it should be 1 only and if people object I think you have to respect that.
Back to top Go down
flannel
A Contender
A Contender
flannel

PostSubject: Re: Huntington, NY, 7/21/15   Huntington, NY, 7/21/15 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2015 1:12 pm

I legit think only one person actually ended up getting in the line super late and staying there?  Most of them stayed with us to chat and take selfies and stuff and then went back once it was actually door time.  I am one of the people who usually gets there super early and I also dislike having people get in front of me, so I definitely feel the feelings.  And honestly, I feel uncomfortable when lots of people join too, even if they're my friends.
Back to top Go down
cmigs
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Huntington, NY, 7/21/15   Huntington, NY, 7/21/15 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2015 1:20 pm

Stuff like this is why my favorite Gaslight shows are when they play places where I can buy a seat.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Huntington, NY, 7/21/15   Huntington, NY, 7/21/15 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Huntington, NY, 7/21/15
Page 1 of 1