DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Wearing the band shirt to the concert- yay or nay?

Go down 
+7
steady now steady now
cdala
StitchesOnTheRadio
Shrewsbury_Stars
Harbortown
crsmsi
Rose1991
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Rose1991
A Contender
A Contender
Rose1991

Wearing the band shirt to the concert- yay or nay? Empty
PostSubject: Wearing the band shirt to the concert- yay or nay?   Wearing the band shirt to the concert- yay or nay? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 2:51 am

Okay, so me and my brother were having this discussion earlier, and I wanted the Dimestore Saints' opinion on it. Now, I had never heard this until a couple years ago, and when I first did I thought it was a rule just for metal concerts, but apparently it's a total fashion faux pas to wear the shirt of the band you're going to see to their concert. Where do you guys stand on this?

I mean, out of the bands that I go to see frequently that I have shirts of, oftentimes I will wear one of the shirts, and nobody has ever mentioned that there's some kind of rule against it. I always thought it was cool and expected to wear them, and they always make for a fun conversation starter, like if you have a particularly rare shirt or you just wanna show that you saw a certain tour. And when I'm heading to a show later that day, sometimes I like to wear the band's shirt to advertise that yes, I like this band that's in town tonight and if you like them too you're welcome to start a conversation with me. It's like back in school when we'd put on the plays and musicals and on the days of the performances, we'd wear our shirts to be like, "Yeah, we're the theater kids!" like it was a team thing.

I never really imagined that this was the sort of thing anyone would really give a shit about. Like obviously it's not necessary to wear the band's shirt, but is it really that terrible of a thing if you do? I don't think the band members would care one way or the other, and they're way more likely to have a positive reaction to you wearing their shirt than a negative one, don't you think?

I think people should wear whatever they want. What do you guys think about the matter?
Back to top Go down
crsmsi
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Wearing the band shirt to the concert- yay or nay?   Wearing the band shirt to the concert- yay or nay? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 6:05 am

I totally agree with you. People who are trying to lift themselves up by imposing a dress code that (of course) they follow best are just trying to deal with their own insecurities. Don't let these idiots make you insecure! What you wear is none of their business. At a Gaslight show, and at punk and rock shows in general, there is no dress code. Anything you wear is fine. I like to wear band shirts to concerts, too. Don't see how any sane person could have a problem with that.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Wearing the band shirt to the concert- yay or nay?   Wearing the band shirt to the concert- yay or nay? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 6:14 am

and when I first did I thought it was a rule just for metal concerts
No, not really. Tons of people at metal concerts wear the band's t-shirts.

ANYWAY I say fuck doing that. Like, I know you like the band. You're here, at the concert, for which you have paid. If you're at a festival I get it, because there's a ton of bands and you want to rep YOUR band.

I mean, I guess I don't really care. I just think it's kinda corny.
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: Wearing the band shirt to the concert- yay or nay?   Wearing the band shirt to the concert- yay or nay? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 1:31 pm

Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Wearing the band shirt to the concert- yay or nay?   Wearing the band shirt to the concert- yay or nay? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 8:46 pm

Personally, I think do whatever the hell you want.

That said, I like to wear the band I'm seeing' shirt to arena size shows because thats what I've always done and most people do it too. I guess I just feel good following the norm there.

For smaller shows (if I wear a band shirt at all, I tend to hate how child-like I look in them), I like to wear a different band because I think that starts more conversations. Like I figure if you're in line, I already know you like Gaslight, but if you're wearing a Frank Turner shirt, I can start a conversation with you based off that. And I like seeing the variety of bands people are into.
Back to top Go down
cdala
A Contender
A Contender
cdala

PostSubject: Re: Wearing the band shirt to the concert- yay or nay?   Wearing the band shirt to the concert- yay or nay? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2015 7:03 am

I say screw any dress code. I hardly ever get dressed specifically for a show, I usually don't have time to go home and change after work and/or tourist-ing.

I do have a shoe code though, cause getting stepped on wearing the wrong shoes can hurt like hell.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Wearing the band shirt to the concert- yay or nay?   Wearing the band shirt to the concert- yay or nay? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2015 10:47 am

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
I like to wear a different band because I think that starts more conversations. Like I figure if you're in line, I already know you like Gaslight, but if you're wearing a Frank Turner shirt, I can start a conversation with you based off that. And I like seeing the variety of bands people are into.
yup
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Wearing the band shirt to the concert- yay or nay?   Wearing the band shirt to the concert- yay or nay? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2015 3:56 pm

As if there weren't enough rules already ...  In spirit, TGA are still a punk band, so wear what you like and enjoy the freedom.

For my part, I like to wear a bow tie to the opera. My own little tradition.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Hombie
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Hombie

PostSubject: Re: Wearing the band shirt to the concert- yay or nay?   Wearing the band shirt to the concert- yay or nay? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2015 4:44 pm

To be honest, I'm entirely clueless to rock/metal etiquette apart for 'Don't be a dick' and 'Don't overdo it in moshpits and help people up immediately if they fall'.
I saw TGA live once and I wore the white version of the 'Get Hurt' shirt to that, and some blue jeans under it because hey, blue jeans and white T-shirts. I think it's amusing. I was by myself that show anyway, so it's not like there was anyone there to give me shit for it xD

I think the only one other band I have a shirt (or rather longsleeve) of that I've actually seen live is a small local band, and I bought it just after the last time I saw them live because I had a blast and they play great music and are good people. My bandshirt collection is rather limited though.

(Edited because apparently I can't type properly anymore)

Last edited by Hombie on Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cowgirlwiththeblues
Wooderson
Wooderson
cowgirlwiththeblues

PostSubject: Re: Wearing the band shirt to the concert- yay or nay?   Wearing the band shirt to the concert- yay or nay? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 1:52 pm

People that tell you what you can and can't wear are pretty pathetic in my opinion. Do your own thing, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Back to top Go down
LaVidaLoca
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Wearing the band shirt to the concert- yay or nay?   Wearing the band shirt to the concert- yay or nay? Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 5:30 am

i would say that it is important to feel good in the closes you wear. I got so many shirts of musicians and bands and this Is great! I wore a shirt of a small band at a show of another small band, when i met a member of the band that played he just said:"guy! Nice shirt!" and we started to talk, great!
Just in the moment i write this, im wearing TGA shirt from the show in berlin on 31.10. when i wear it i have to think of my first gaslight show and im in a good mood!

What i want to say: wear what you want!
Back to top Go down
shiftynj
A Contender
A Contender
shiftynj

PostSubject: Re: Wearing the band shirt to the concert- yay or nay?   Wearing the band shirt to the concert- yay or nay? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2016 1:30 pm

I've heard this "rule" and been referred to that video. I usually wear something related but not the actual performer(s) I'm seeing, so either a side project, former band, or someone I know they like. But this past show I ended up buying a shirt and putting it on on top of the one I was wearing, just so I didn't have to hold it.
Back to top Go down
http://vergeofjordan.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wearing the band shirt to the concert- yay or nay?   Wearing the band shirt to the concert- yay or nay? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wearing the band shirt to the concert- yay or nay?
Page 1 of 1