DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

[Insert generic greeting]

Go down 
+2
StitchesOnTheRadio
Doozey
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Doozey
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Doozey

[Insert generic greeting] Empty
PostSubject: [Insert generic greeting]   [Insert generic greeting] Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2014 6:20 pm

Hello,
I'm really no good with introductions, so I'll try to keep in short. My name's Dustin, and I am posting from Central Wisconsin. I'm kind of a newcomer to TGA. I've known of them for about 3 years now, but I guess I didn't REALLY get into them until about a year, at least not obsessively. As for other music, I don't like too much, but I do usually like an artist or band from any given genre, minus polka and most anything with too much yodeling. My other favorite bands though (the ones that take the most time away from TGA) are easily Lucero and Two Cow Garage. Glossary and Jason Isbell are right up there, too, and if you haven't heard of these bands, you should look them up, if only for the new guy. I'm in my last year of college, where I'm learning to be a high school science teacher (biology and chemistry), and am looking forward to being done with studenting (because, with some luck, I won't be done with school until I retire). I can't wait to troll all of you. Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: [Insert generic greeting]   [Insert generic greeting] Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2014 8:49 pm

Doozey wrote:
I can't wait to troll all of you. Very Happy

oh boy, a troublemaker. Suspect

JK, welcome! My mom's a middle school science teacher, and all I have to say is GOOD LUCK. Kids seem to be getting dumber (I used to help correct papers sometimes. It's scary) and don't get me started on common core! Hopefully Wisconsin has it better than Connecticut!

Welcome to the forum  Smile 
Back to top Go down
MustangSally
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
MustangSally

PostSubject: Re: [Insert generic greeting]   [Insert generic greeting] Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 12:28 am

Hi Dustin! Welcome! I'm new here too! 

I've listened to Lucero but none of the others you've mentioned...will have to check them out. I highly recommend the albums "musicforthemorningafter" and "Day I Forgot" by Pete Yorn :-)
Back to top Go down
Doozey
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Doozey

PostSubject: Re: [Insert generic greeting]   [Insert generic greeting] Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 12:56 am

Wisco hasn't adopted common core fully yet, but yeah, not entirely thrilled about it. Cuts in education are really hitting us hard, but I've always been a sucker for a challenge.

Got musicforthemorningafter spinning now. It's a nice change of pace from rockin' '59 Sound and the redbull sessions of molly and the zombies all the time.

Two Cow Garage- harder to find free listens, but youtube "Jackson, Don't You Worry" and "Brothers in Arms." "III," "Sweet Saint Me," and "Speaking in Cursive" are my favorite albums of theirs, and Micah Schnabel's solo stuff, especially "When the Stage Lights Go Dim," is great.

Glossary- If you go to glossary.com, both Better Angels of our Nature and The All Night Bedroom Revival are great.

Jason Isbell can be found everywhere. I'm not a huge fan of his latest album Southeastern, but "Here We Rest," "Sirens of the Ditch," and "Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit" are pretty good.

Last, but certainly not least, Lucero's "Tennessee" is just awesome. "That Much Further West" is also fantastic. Ben Nichols, after Brian Fallon, is my biggest hero. Total man crush on them both.
Back to top Go down
MustangSally
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
MustangSally

PostSubject: Re: [Insert generic greeting]   [Insert generic greeting] Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 1:32 am

Great! I hope you enjoy it. I love Pete's voice so much, has that dirty Elvis quality to it, you know what I'm talking about haha! I think "Day I Forgot" is my favorite. 

Nice! I'm looking forward to checking them out. Glossary.com doesn't exist anymore though but I'm sure I'll be able to sniff em out. 

I think "that much further west" is the Lucero album I listened to ages ago, I never sat down and listened to it fully to give me a chance to bond with it, excited to dive in.

Still haven't listened much to Molly and the Zombies yet!
Back to top Go down
Doozey
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Doozey

PostSubject: Re: [Insert generic greeting]   [Insert generic greeting] Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 1:40 am

Sorry, it's glossary.us. Go to downloads. I was going to copy and paste the web address, but FNG's like me can't post links for 7 days.

You're missing out on Molly and the zombies. Once again, if I could post a link, one of the people from "Andy Diamond's Church Street Choir" on facebook posted a link to download the 5 tracks from the redbull session. I think it's Brian Fallon at or near his best. Just different enough from his Gaslight material to be particularly interesting, but not unrecognizable. Red Lights gets me everytime.
Back to top Go down
MustangSally
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
MustangSally

PostSubject: Re: [Insert generic greeting]   [Insert generic greeting] Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 2:53 am

Ohh ok I gotcha...will check it out tonight!

I listened to one Molly and the Zombies song but I have ADD so I kinda bounce all over the place lol listening to them again right now...i'll have to search out those links....I'd really rather have the songs on my iPod so I can fully and completely pay attention to them and absorb them, YouTube is too distracting. I like what I'm hearing so far and get wha you're saying....some of these lyrics are so beautiful.
Back to top Go down
mwh
A Contender
A Contender
mwh

PostSubject: Re: [Insert generic greeting]   [Insert generic greeting] Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 10:33 am

Hey man.

Just found Lucero, definitely a winner. Welcome to the forum
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

PostSubject: Re: [Insert generic greeting]   [Insert generic greeting] Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 1:17 pm

Hi & welcome to DSS Dustin!  Smile 

Hope you enjoy your time here!
Great music taste btw. I do love Glossary as well, it's a pity they can't tour at the moment Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
Doozey
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Doozey

PostSubject: Re: [Insert generic greeting]   [Insert generic greeting] Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 1:22 pm

enola wrote:

Great music taste
I know, thanks for the affirmation. Cool
Back to top Go down
MustangSally
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
MustangSally

PostSubject: Re: [Insert generic greeting]   [Insert generic greeting] Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2014 1:16 am

Doozey wrote:
enola wrote:

Great music taste
I know, thanks for the affirmation. Cool

You shall now be known as "Shades" hahaha
Back to top Go down
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Anya_TGA

PostSubject: Re: [Insert generic greeting]   [Insert generic greeting] Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2014 2:10 pm

Doozey wrote:
I'm in my last year of college, where I'm learning to be a high school science teacher (biology and chemistry), and am looking forward to being done with studenting (because, with some luck, I won't be done with school until I retire). I can't wait to troll all of you. Very Happy 

welcome to the forum!!
I am also still studying -.- I am happy when I am finished
Back to top Go down
MustangSally
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
MustangSally

PostSubject: Re: [Insert generic greeting]   [Insert generic greeting] Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 2:48 pm

About  Lucero!

I wasn't able to get my mitts on "That Much Further West", but I did get "Tennessee" and their new "Texas and Tennessee",  and there is a huge difference in terms of his voice....dare I say on "Texas and Tennessee" his voice sounds....so.....put on....as in unnatural and forced? Is that just me? I cringed hard on the first song on "T & T" because of his voice....but I am enjoying "Tennessee"! I'm sure I will get used to it though :-)
Back to top Go down
MustangSally
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
MustangSally

PostSubject: Re: [Insert generic greeting]   [Insert generic greeting] Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 2:49 pm

Sorry about the font change above....yikes!
Back to top Go down
Doozey
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Doozey

PostSubject: Re: [Insert generic greeting]   [Insert generic greeting] Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 9:26 pm

I get it. Union Pacific Line off T&T is great as is, the title track is better live (overproduced on the album imo), and same with Otherside of Lonesome (or whatever it's called on that album). There are some bootlegs of the latter two which nail both of them into a few of my favorite lucero songs of all time.

Doozey trivia: earned my first dollar ever playing guitar covering "Slow Dancing" off Tennessee at an open mic (as in, the first dollar I ever earned for playing music. Not first dollar ever). It also has, by far, the most plays on my Itunes. Tennessee, and Lucero in general, has tremendous sentimental value to me, for so many reasons.
Back to top Go down
Doozey
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Doozey

PostSubject: Re: [Insert generic greeting]   [Insert generic greeting] Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 9:51 pm

UPL is great, in my humble opinion*... which is right. Just to be clear.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Insert generic greeting]   [Insert generic greeting] Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

[Insert generic greeting]
Page 1 of 1