DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rob Thomas covers Gaslight?!

Go down 
+4
StitchesOnTheRadio
Jerseyrain
CapedAvenger
Jack
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

Rob Thomas covers Gaslight?! Empty
PostSubject: Rob Thomas covers Gaslight?!   Rob Thomas covers Gaslight?! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 2:07 pm

Yep. Here's Looking At You, Kid. It's not horrible but it's nowhere near the original, obviously.

http://propertyofzack.com/post/83886190011/rob-thomas-covers-the-gaslight-anthems-heres-looking
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
CapedAvenger
Wooderson
Wooderson
CapedAvenger

PostSubject: Re: Rob Thomas covers Gaslight?!   Rob Thomas covers Gaslight?! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 5:58 pm

What are the question marks about?

Anyway, it's a good cover. Nothing special, and very faithful to the original. Hopefully it'll turn a few non-fans into fans (i got into Neil Young in a similar way). For such a big name to get such a positive reaction from the crowd says a lot.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: Rob Thomas covers Gaslight?!   Rob Thomas covers Gaslight?! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 6:20 pm

The singer of one of my favourite bands covering one of my favourite bands. Too awesome for words. Thanks for posting this!
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Rob Thomas covers Gaslight?!   Rob Thomas covers Gaslight?! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 7:08 pm

He's clearly been a Gaslight fan for a little while now. If you follow him on twitter, he often does this "song of the day" thing. Or at least he did, I haven't paid attention lately. Gaslight has shown up there a few times in recent years. I like this cover, even if he kinda botched the end a bit. I've been a bit bored with this song for a couple years now (I know, I know, how dare I say that) but I appreciated hearing it sung by someone different just for the sake of change. Plus I adore Rob Thomas
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: Rob Thomas covers Gaslight?!   Rob Thomas covers Gaslight?! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 12:25 pm

He's a fantastic performer. MB20 are one of the bet live bands Ive seen. Ive seen his song of the day many times but never noticed a Gaslight one.
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Rob Thomas covers Gaslight?!   Rob Thomas covers Gaslight?! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 2:34 pm

Ugh no thanks. Can't stand Rob Thomas or his band. Nice tribute though  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Rob Thomas covers Gaslight?!   Rob Thomas covers Gaslight?! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 2:51 pm

CapedAvenger wrote:

Anyway, it's a good cover. Nothing special, and very faithful to the original. Hopefully it'll turn a few non-fans into fans (i got into Neil Young in a similar way). For such a big name to get such a positive reaction from the crowd says a lot.

Because I thought it was fucking nuts haha. Not two acts I would readily put together. Although I do like Smooth. It was my lucky charm for the Yankees 2009 World Series run. I listened to it before every game. OHELSEFOGEDDABBOUTIT!
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Rob Thomas covers Gaslight?!   Rob Thomas covers Gaslight?! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 11:29 pm

Jack wrote:
CapedAvenger wrote:

Because I thought it was fucking nuts haha. Not two acts I would readily put together. Although I do like Smooth. It was my lucky charm for the Yankees 2009 World Series run. I listened to it before every game. OHELSEFOGEDDABBOUTIT!

I mean, I wouldn't immediately think to put them together but I don't think they're so absurdly different that it's fucking nuts for Rob Thomas to cover TGA. I mean, Brian covered Katy Perry and Kelly Clarkson.

You do know that Smooth is a Carlos Santana song, right? Rob Thomas just sings it for him.
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: Rob Thomas covers Gaslight?!   Rob Thomas covers Gaslight?! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2014 8:50 am

Ok that's kinda awesome.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Rob Thomas covers Gaslight?!   Rob Thomas covers Gaslight?! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2014 12:06 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
Jack wrote:
CapedAvenger wrote:

I mean, I wouldn't immediately think to put them together but I don't think they're so absurdly different that it's fucking nuts for Rob Thomas to cover TGA. I mean, Brian covered Katy Perry and Kelly Clarkson.

You do know that Smooth is a Carlos Santana song, right? Rob Thomas just sings it for him.

Of course I know, but if you write and sing a song, that's your song, no matter what name it's released under. And I still think it's pretty absurd for Rob Thomas to cover Gaslight, especially since I remember when he was trying to be a crossover pop singer about a decade ago.
Back to top Go down
jdc
A Contender
A Contender
jdc

PostSubject: Re: Rob Thomas covers Gaslight?!   Rob Thomas covers Gaslight?! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2014 6:11 pm

Jack wrote:
StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
Jack wrote:
CapedAvenger wrote:

Of course I know, but if you write and sing a song, that's your song, no matter what name it's released under. And I still think it's pretty absurd for Rob Thomas to cover Gaslight, especially since I remember when he was trying to be a crossover pop singer about a decade ago.

I had a friend (LA music snob type) who I tried to convince to go see Gaslight back in 2009 or so and he refused because his coworker "who likes Matchbox 20" was going to see them. So, this is kind of amusing to me.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Rob Thomas covers Gaslight?!   Rob Thomas covers Gaslight?! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2014 8:40 pm

I always thought Matchbox 20 was pop.
Back to top Go down
ivienco
A Contender
A Contender
ivienco

PostSubject: Re: Rob Thomas covers Gaslight?!   Rob Thomas covers Gaslight?! Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2014 4:59 pm

Jerseyrain wrote:
The singer of one of my favourite bands covering one of my favourite bands. Too awesome for words. Thanks for posting this!

My thought exactly!!!! I love this! I swear I'm on the verge of crying.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rob Thomas covers Gaslight?!   Rob Thomas covers Gaslight?! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rob Thomas covers Gaslight?!
Page 1 of 1