DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.


A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''
 
PortalHomeSearchRegisterLog in

 

 Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke" Lyrics

Go down 
AuthorMessage
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

Posts : 3009
Join date : 2012-04-13
Location : New Jersey

Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke" Lyrics   Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 2:16 am

Because I have nothing better to do at 6:30am...

Just posted the video (it's the entire song, I only missed the first couple notes) here: https://youtu.be/TbANt7Egdq0

Thank you to the following members for Lyric revisions: ( StitchesOnTheRadio, Jack, betweenthewaxandtheneedle)

Smoke

And I lost my mind in the middle of Toronto, I was
spending nights at home full throttle, I was
breakin your heart
breakin my heart, revenge

And I feel just like I woke up
in somebody else’s skin
I wish I could tell you, I had the worst little dream

Well they brought hearts and daggers, they wrote
songs about you, when they
tied you up and you hung from ladders
and you never ended up coming home, you just
became something like some smoke that I tried too hard to hold

And when I awoke, everything had changed you see, I
left my home, returned something different, I was
beaten to death, bleeding to death with regret

and nobody else can see it
but there’s something underneath my skin
and who else is gonna remind you
to take a picture of them

Well they brought hearts and daggers, they wrote
songs about you, when they
tied you up and you hung from ladders
and you never ended up coming home, you just
became something like some smoke that I tried too hard to hold

and the black clouds came
and darkened all our insides, there were
newspaper clippings with horrible headlines
of doom and despair and your name and my name said
"Who will save you from the truth of the matter
that your love, though like gold, is gone?"

Well they brought hearts and daggers, they wrote
songs about you, when they
tied you up and you hung from ladders
and you never ended up coming home, you just
became something like a dream I saw where they brought

hearts and daggers, they wrote
songs about you, when they
tied you up and you hung from ladders
and you never ended up coming home, you just
became something like some smoke that I tried too hard to hold

_________________
Shelby

Shows I've been to (if anyone actually cares)::
 


Last edited by StitchesOnTheRadio on Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:50 pm; edited 18 times in total
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

Posts : 1218
Join date : 2009-12-12
Location : Jersey

Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke" Lyrics   Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2014 6:40 pm

Breakin' my heart, revenge? Maybe?
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

Posts : 3009
Join date : 2012-04-13
Location : New Jersey

Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke" Lyrics   Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2014 2:48 am

Jack wrote:
Breakin' my heart, revenge? Maybe?

Sure, why not, haha. I can kind of hear that. And I could see it making sense.

_________________
Shelby

Shows I've been to (if anyone actually cares)::
 
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

Posts : 3009
Join date : 2012-04-13
Location : New Jersey

Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke" Lyrics   Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Icon_minitimeSun Feb 02, 2014 8:44 am

Bumping this up because I added a video from the show tonight and the full lyrics (minus a few words). Any help finishing it off would be awesome!

_________________
Shelby

Shows I've been to (if anyone actually cares)::
 
Back to top Go down
flannel
A Contender
A Contender
flannel

Posts : 205
Join date : 2014-02-02
Location : northeast US

Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke" Lyrics   Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 11:35 am

I have been listening to it, especially the part you don't have, and I have noooo idea.  "your love don't let ____ go" maybe??  or "your love don't like ____"?
no idea, I'm so bad at hearing lyrics anyway
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

Posts : 1218
Join date : 2009-12-12
Location : Jersey

Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke" Lyrics   Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 1:29 pm

I'm hearing "bleeding to death" the second time he sings it.

"That your love don't like holding on"? I don't know, that one's reeeeaaally hard to hear.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

Posts : 3009
Join date : 2012-04-13
Location : New Jersey

Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke" Lyrics   Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 4:18 pm

Jack wrote:
I'm hearing "bleeding to death" the second time he sings it.

"That your love don't like holding on"? I don't know, that one's reeeeaaally hard to hear.

Woah, that first one is REALLY hard to hear the distinction but I see where you hear bleeding the second time. Nice catch.

For the second one, I keep hearing "don't like gold and stone" but that makes no sense. Maybe "that your love don't like cold, it's gone" There's definitely something with an "s" sound in there.

_________________
Shelby

Shows I've been to (if anyone actually cares)::
 
Back to top Go down
betweenthewaxandtheneedle
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning


Posts : 3
Join date : 2012-10-19

Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke" Lyrics   Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 4:59 pm

your love don't like rolling stones?
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

Posts : 3009
Join date : 2012-04-13
Location : New Jersey

Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke" Lyrics   Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 5:37 pm

betweenthewaxandtheneedle wrote:
your love don't like rolling stones?

Actually I was hearing exactly that it just didn't seem to make sense...although now that I think about it...

_________________
Shelby

Shows I've been to (if anyone actually cares)::
 
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

Posts : 721
Join date : 2011-08-22
Age : 26
Location : Connecticut

Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke" Lyrics   Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 6:14 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
betweenthewaxandtheneedle wrote:
your love don't like rolling stones?

Actually I was hearing exactly that it just didn't seem to make sense...although now that I think about it...

I'm pretty sure the word starts with a g after "your love don't like ___"

Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

Posts : 1218
Join date : 2009-12-12
Location : Jersey

Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke" Lyrics   Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 7:15 pm

"You just became something like a dream I saw" is right before the chorus repeat at the end.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

Posts : 3009
Join date : 2012-04-13
Location : New Jersey

Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke" Lyrics   Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 7:23 pm

Jack wrote:
"You just became something like a dream I saw" is right before the chorus repeat at the end.

I know about that but I don't know why I chose not to put it in. I guess partly due to laziness, and partly due to not being sure if the line is supposed to be there normally. I say that for two reasons, 1) he messed up lines a good handful of times during this show, and 2) he kinda laughed as he was doing it, I don't know if it was about something else, or had to do with the line.

Anyway that's why I left it out. If it turns out to really be there when these demo's etc. come out, I'll fix it.

_________________
Shelby

Shows I've been to (if anyone actually cares)::
 
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

Posts : 3009
Join date : 2012-04-13
Location : New Jersey

Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke" Lyrics   Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2014 3:43 pm

So flannel asked Brian McGee about the missing line in smoke and he said it was "Though your love like gold it's gone" Although I think there may have been a word or two that's either missing or slightly different because if you listen to the recording there's definitely another word like "don't" in there and in the recording I have from night 1 of crossroads he says "that" not "though". So more like "That you're love don't like gold it's gone".

Unfortunately he decided to laugh through this line on night 2 so that recording won't be any clearer (But I'll check what I have). But I think we can confidently say "gold" and "gone" are the main words we're missing and if we're wrong it's all Brian McGee's fault Smile

_________________
Shelby

Shows I've been to (if anyone actually cares)::
 
Back to top Go down
flannel
A Contender
A Contender
flannel

Posts : 205
Join date : 2014-02-02
Location : northeast US

Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke" Lyrics   Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2014 6:19 pm

and/or my fault if it got lost in translation between me and McGee XD
Back to top Go down
flannel
A Contender
A Contender
flannel

Posts : 205
Join date : 2014-02-02
Location : northeast US

Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke" Lyrics   Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2014 6:23 pm

maybe it was "that your love, though like gold, is gone"
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

Posts : 3009
Join date : 2012-04-13
Location : New Jersey

Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke" Lyrics   Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 3:54 am

Laura you should've written this down! Or better yet, made him write it down. I think you're right though, "that your love, though like gold, is gone" actually makes sense. That must be it.

_________________
Shelby

Shows I've been to (if anyone actually cares)::
 
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

Posts : 1218
Join date : 2009-12-12
Location : Jersey

Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke" Lyrics   Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2014 1:09 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
Jack wrote:
"You just became something like a dream I saw" is right before the chorus repeat at the end.

I know about that but I don't know why I chose not to put it in. I guess partly due to laziness, and partly due to not being sure if the line is supposed to be there normally. I say that for two reasons, 1) he messed up lines a good handful of times during this show, and 2) he kinda laughed as he was doing it, I don't know if it was about something else, or had to do with the line.

Anyway that's why I left it out. If it turns out to really be there when these demo's etc. come out, I'll fix it.

Ah, yeah, I see what you're saying. I noticed he did do it again at the second one, though, so who knows.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

Posts : 3009
Join date : 2012-04-13
Location : New Jersey

Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke" Lyrics   Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2014 3:16 pm

Jack wrote:
StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
Jack wrote:
"You just became something like a dream I saw" is right before the chorus repeat at the end.

I know about that but I don't know why I chose not to put it in. I guess partly due to laziness, and partly due to not being sure if the line is supposed to be there normally. I say that for two reasons, 1) he messed up lines a good handful of times during this show, and 2) he kinda laughed as he was doing it, I don't know if it was about something else, or had to do with the line.

Anyway that's why I left it out. If it turns out to really be there when these demo's etc. come out, I'll fix it.

Ah, yeah, I see what you're saying. I noticed he did do it again at the second one, though, so who knows.

Yep, you're right. I put it in. He's been tweakin' little stuff every show (or like I said made a mistake or two) so I guess we won't know some of it "officially" until the red bull thing comes out, but this was done twice so it's probably a safe bet.

_________________
Shelby

Shows I've been to (if anyone actually cares)::
 
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

Posts : 3009
Join date : 2012-04-13
Location : New Jersey

Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke" Lyrics   Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 4:47 am

So the last two lines of this verse have been bothering me. Anyone have any idea of what he's getting at there with the picture line? Especially in how it relates to the first two lines.

"and nobody else can see it
but there’s something underneath my skin
and who else is gonna remind you
to take a picture of them"

_________________
Shelby

Shows I've been to (if anyone actually cares)::
 
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

Posts : 4161
Join date : 2011-08-31
Age : 28
Location : New Jersey

Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke" Lyrics   Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 10:18 am

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
So the last two lines of this verse have been bothering me. Anyone have any idea of what he's getting at there with the picture line? Especially in how it relates to the first two lines.

"and nobody else can see it
but there’s something underneath my skin
and who else is gonna remind you
to take a picture of them"

The only thing I can think of is something like: "no one else can see what crawls underneath my skin except you. Everyone else thinks I'm a great person but you really know the truth. So take a 'picture' of who I really am to show for proof."

Best I got. I suck at lyrics though Razz

_________________
Andrew

Ndakasimba kana makisimbawo

Made the list.
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

Posts : 290
Join date : 2013-10-07

Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke" Lyrics   Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 10:32 am

Big fan of these lines: "Who will save you from the truth of the matter that your love, though like gold, is gone?"
Back to top Go down
jhole007
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning


Posts : 3
Join date : 2012-04-11
Age : 32

Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Empty
PostSubject: "Smoke"    Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 4:54 pm

Looking for some insight on what Brian means when he says "they tied you up in the rungs of ladders." And really the meaning of the song in general, according to the fans. This is easily my favorite on the album so far and was wondering what you guys thought. Cheers.
Back to top Go down
whiskeytab
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning


Posts : 12
Join date : 2015-12-15

Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke" Lyrics   Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2016 10:58 pm

jhole007 wrote:
Looking for some insight on what Brian means when he says "they tied you up in the rungs of ladders." And really the meaning of the song in general, according to the fans. This is easily my favorite on the album so far and was wondering what you guys thought. Cheers.

I always took this as a reference to someone who is too caught up with their work / career... i.e. tied up in the corporate ladder
Back to top Go down
jhole007
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning


Posts : 3
Join date : 2012-04-11
Age : 32

Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke" Lyrics   Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2016 1:12 pm

Ahh yes that makes total sense. Never would have thought of that. As much as I love and appreciate all his music, it can be so cryptic sometimes. Cheers!
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

Posts : 3277
Join date : 2009-04-03
Location : England

Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke" Lyrics   Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2016 3:45 pm

whiskeytab wrote:
jhole007 wrote:
Looking for some insight on what Brian means when he says "they tied you up in the rungs of ladders." And really the meaning of the song in general, according to the fans. This is easily my favorite on the album so far and was wondering what you guys thought. Cheers.

I always took this as a reference to someone who is too caught up with their work / career... i.e. tied up in the corporate ladder

Clap genius (you and Brian)

_________________
Alexander
www.gaslightanthem.org    |    www.twitter.com/TGArecord
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Sponsored content




Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke" Lyrics   Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke"  Lyrics Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 
Molly & The Zombies: "Smoke" Lyrics
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: The Gaslight Anthem :: Song Meanings-
Jump to: