DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Brian's tumblr post discussion

Go down 
+52
Blueeyesandspitfire
Jaws
brucesboots
jonester
ncl1968
cdala
Holland
Labhras
thebends
Daire
Hanswurst
Boy From Little Eden
Yozzy
SammyHutchison
onbackstreetsinbackseats
eagles1139
Hirti
rumham
TheEmptyBones
Ghost
Christophe
bringiton_ty
bt211
MKULTRA
JukeboxJuliet
TGAFAN25
Shrewsbury_Stars
Bobul
CapedAvenger
thurman
DaleCooper
colmillionaire
LuceroDiehard
JimmyB
jzancan
Jerseyrain
FrankieG
SirBrad
cmigs
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Harbortown
_rebekka_
NeverTrustAJunkie
Steve70s
enola
CluckyB
steph
rotmitweißenpunkten
prettyontheinsidex
StitchesOnTheRadio
BereasaTGA
Debonair
56 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
backseat99
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
backseat99

Brian's tumblr post discussion - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brian's tumblr post discussion   Brian's tumblr post discussion - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 09, 2013 3:53 am

Well I re-read it again and still feel he's going all emo about it!Brian did an amazing version of backstreets, revive it!
Back to top Go down
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Last Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Brian's tumblr post discussion   Brian's tumblr post discussion - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 09, 2013 7:35 am

backseat99 wrote:
Well I re-read it again and still feel he's going all emo about it!Brian did an amazing version of backstreets, revive it!
I...I think your not quite understanding Brian's feelings here to be honest
Back to top Go down
backseat99
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
backseat99

PostSubject: Re: Brian's tumblr post discussion   Brian's tumblr post discussion - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 09, 2013 8:45 am

Ah well each to his own!
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: Brian's tumblr post discussion   Brian's tumblr post discussion - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 09, 2013 12:15 pm

DiamondSinatra wrote:
backseat99 wrote:
Just do backstreets once in a while and he'll be fine :-)
Reread the Tumblr post and report back.
I'm partially with backseat99 on this one (since I see it both ways)...I get the principle of the Tumblr post, and I understand the frustration, but to a certain point, appease your audience.

I imagine he's afraid of the If You Give a Mouse a Cookie effect, but it doesn't make sense to do certain things up to the point where people want it and then cease doing it for that very reason (yeah, I know, "re-read the tumblr post"--I don't care, it's effectively what they do). Maybe this doesn't apply to Backstreets specifically, but it seems he/they (acoustic/full band) played certain covers...until people started shouting for it. As soon as it goes from "I'm playing this song because I want to" to "I'm playing this song because they want me to," the song stops getting played. I can understand wanting to manage the expectation (I work in marketing, my entire job is to manage the expectation), but it wouldn't hurt to throw an easter egg into the set.

I propose we start shouting for Baba O'Reily and see how quickly it gets yanked from their setlist.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
brucesboots
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Brian's tumblr post discussion   Brian's tumblr post discussion - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 09, 2013 12:56 pm

I was at the show and as we had travelled what 3000+ miles , stood in the pooring rain for hours and had every right to be pd off , but sorry im on Brians side on this one, the Bruce thing really has gone over the top . I think in all my TGA / Fallon shows (43 of them ) at least one twat has been shouting Bruuuuce , it shows no respect to the artist we have paid to see . Because of the early links or ties to Bruce it wont happen as the band have done all they can to distance themselves from it, you dont hear anyone call Tom or Eddie . The Bruce cover was a solo thing not TGA.
Back to top Go down
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Last Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Brian's tumblr post discussion   Brian's tumblr post discussion - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 09, 2013 1:11 pm

This isn't the end of Gaslight covers and, in all honesty, its probably not the end of Bruce covers. In my opinion - and I could be completely wrong and nor am I speaking for Brian - I feel he just wants people to see Gaslight for Gaslight. If they play a cover great, but don't call for them/hope for them. If they want to play them, they'll play them.

Not sure if I made my point here
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Brian's tumblr post discussion   Brian's tumblr post discussion - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 09, 2013 6:31 pm

I tend to not like people shouting out requests even just being on the crowd side of things. Mostly cus those people are relentlessly annoying and affect my ability to hear what the singer is saying. But also, I like it when the band surprises me. Maybe they do that by honoring a request, maybe it's by playing a song they haven't in a long time. Or, maybe it's by having an honest moment on stage. I leave it up to the band. I'm just there to see what they do that night, whatever that is. Cover or no cover. I think that's what you were trying to say TLJR? scratch I'm sure that's how most people approach the show. But there are just enough that don't that can make it annoying. Mad 

"you don't hear anyone call Tom or Eddie"
And you don't hear masses shouting "JAY-Z!" at Beyonce just because she's brought him out on stage a few times. And she's married to the dude. I don't know what that means, but it was a thought that occurred to me.

"The Bruce cover was a solo thing not TGA."
I remember people Bruce'ing/requesting him to death at Bowery Ballroom and that was in January 2010. So it's been years of this now. Neutral 
Back to top Go down
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Last Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Brian's tumblr post discussion   Brian's tumblr post discussion - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 09, 2013 7:09 pm

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
I think that's what you were trying to say TLJR? scratch 
Yep, that's basically the point I was trying to get at
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

PostSubject: Re: Brian's tumblr post discussion   Brian's tumblr post discussion - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2013 7:17 pm

Had this one pop up in my google alerts.

That’s what happens when you open yourself up to fans; there is always the possibility that they can break your heart, but then they will be there at your next show singing right along with you.

http://www.relix.com/reviews/shows/2013/08/07/the-gaslight-anthem-at-pier-26
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Brian's tumblr post discussion   Brian's tumblr post discussion - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2013 8:30 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnKmKn9YbX0&list=TL_m52lWVQDxc Was watching this the other day. I think it's worth noting that even pros like Chris Rock and Jerry Seinfeld acknowledge how much confidence to takes to get up in front of a crowd in the first place, as well as how easy it is to lose a crowd. (skip to 8:40 for that part of the discussion) It just made me think of Sunday night. Nothing specific about Sunday exactly, just the idea of what kind of pressure people face just being on stage at all.
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

PostSubject: Re: Brian's tumblr post discussion   Brian's tumblr post discussion - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2013 8:44 pm

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnKmKn9YbX0&list=TL_m52lWVQDxc Was watching this the other day. I think it's worth noting that even pros like Chris Rock and Jerry Seinfeld acknowledge how much confidence to takes to get up in front of a crowd in the first place, as well as how easy it is to lose a crowd. (skip to 8:40 for that part of the discussion) It just made me think of Sunday night. Nothing specific about Sunday exactly, just the idea of what kind of pressure people face just being on stage at all.
Youtube won't let me watch it but I can imagine what they might have said ...
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Brian's tumblr post discussion   Brian's tumblr post discussion - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2013 9:05 pm

enola wrote:

http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com/chris-rock-kids-need-bullying Maybe here?
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

PostSubject: Re: Brian's tumblr post discussion   Brian's tumblr post discussion - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 3:26 am

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
enola wrote:

http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com/chris-rock-kids-need-bullying Maybe here?
Yup thanks! I have my troubles with Chris' accent though Wink
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Brian's tumblr post discussion   Brian's tumblr post discussion - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 4:02 am

enola wrote:
Had this one pop up in my google alerts.

That’s what happens when you open yourself up to fans; there is always the possibility that they can break your heart, but then they will be there at your next show singing right along with you.

http://www.relix.com/reviews/shows/2013/08/07/the-gaslight-anthem-at-pier-26
I like that little article a lot. It didn't go into much detail, but it's probably one of the most sane things I've read on this whole thing because it didn't blow it out of proportion (the crowd behavior or Brian's reaction). Also, it took a positive perspective, which is that we're all emotionally invested in this music (whether we're the ones creating it or taking it in), it's what connects us, and at the end of the day, a bad interaction here or there doesn't (or shouldn't) really matter because it's one small bad moment amongst a ton of great ones.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brian's tumblr post discussion   Brian's tumblr post discussion - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brian's tumblr post discussion
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7