DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe)

Go down 
+10
Daire
Jack
steady now steady now
Hanswurst
TGAforLIFE
JimmyB
cmigs
NeverTrustAJunkie
rumham
LuceroDiehard
14 posters
AuthorMessage
LuceroDiehard
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
LuceroDiehard

New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe) Empty
PostSubject: New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe)   New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe) Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 1:55 pm

We have two new limited edition posters available for sale created by Ernie Parada (Token Entry, Black Train Jack, Grey Area). These posters were hand silk screened, numbered, signed, and stamped by the artist. If that's not enough, 5 of each poster has been signed by the entire band. Just like Willy Wonka's golden ticket, these 10 prints have been shuffled into the stack and will be sold to 10 random lucky winners as luck of the draw. They will go on sale exactly at 2pm EST this Thursday, May 30th. Get yours below!

http://www.infinitemerch.com/home.php?cat=697

New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe) 600738_10151526545883305_82398964_n
Back to top Go down
http://bobbyw24.tumblr.com/archive
rumham
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe)   New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe) Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 2:19 pm

Dear Gaslight Anthem,

Seriously, you got us, the jokes over now... please bring back el jefe.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe)   New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe) Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 2:35 pm

Why didn't they sell this AT the show? scratch I don't understand Infinite Merch.
Back to top Go down
cmigs
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe)   New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe) Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 2:38 pm

Possibly a screwup where they weren't finished in time... happens.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe)   New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe) Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 2:49 pm

Okay Gaslight...PLEASE have El Jefe come back!
Back to top Go down
TGAforLIFE
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
TGAforLIFE

PostSubject: Re: New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe)   New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe) Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 2:51 pm

Seriously. Willy Wonka was a movie... Are they trying to make a joke out of this?

I'm sure they'll be pricey... especially because of this whole "Golden Ticket" thing. But really, do they think we're all made of money or something? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe)   New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe) Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 3:10 pm

Mercury is behind this I bet
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe)   New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe) Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 3:12 pm

cmigs wrote:
Possibly a screwup where they weren't finished in time... happens.

Seems to happen a lot. Not that this is life or death, it's just that I've never seen this with any other band I've ever liked. Constant screwups. Just weird.

The poster's not bad.
Back to top Go down
Hanswurst
Wooderson
Wooderson
Hanswurst

PostSubject: Re: New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe)   New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe) Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 4:08 pm

hmm

the picture of the couple is great - classic gaslight/el jefe style.
but together with this modern typeface and how it's arranged this looks cheesy and overload all in all Sad

that's my opinion also i'm sad because this could be a great poster if only it would have been arranged different..

aaaand the frequency of all this limited/singed/exclusive stuff they sell makes me think mercury is trying to make money with every little chance they get Neutral
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe)   New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe) Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 4:56 pm

Hanswurst wrote:
but together with this modern typeface and how it's arranged this looks cheesy and overload all in all Sad

El Jefe's women were strong characters and there was equality between the sexes; this by comparison is old style smack-the-chick-around-and-she'll-still-adore-you stuff
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Hanswurst
Wooderson
Wooderson
Hanswurst

PostSubject: Re: New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe)   New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe) Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 5:08 pm

steady now steady now wrote:
Hanswurst wrote:

El Jefe's women were strong characters and there was equality between the sexes; this by comparison is old style smack-the-chick-around-and-she'll-still-adore-you stuff

oh yeah you're right - didn't realise this till you said it Wink

Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe)   New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe) Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 5:08 pm

I don't know guys, I actually really like the poster design. Yeah, El Jefe did great stuff (two of his posters on my wall as I type this) but that doesn't mean we should nitpick what (to my eyes, at least) is a pretty cool design.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe)   New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe) Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 6:06 pm

I didn't take the couple like that at all. But that's why they always say art is subjective. I just took it like it's a steamy romance image.

The "limited" thing is getting annoying.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe)   New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe) Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 6:09 pm

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
I didn't take the couple like that at all. But that's why they always say art is subjective. I just took it like it's a steamy romance image.

The "limited" thing is getting annoying.

Yeah, I'm not connecting the dots between that image and "smacking a chick around".
Back to top Go down
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

PostSubject: Re: New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe)   New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe) Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 6:49 pm

steady now steady now wrote:
Hanswurst wrote:

Eh? Didn't some of El Jefe's work have girls brandishing blades? Hardly equality. I think you're stretching it a little bit by saying its a perpetuating domestic violence.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe)   New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe) Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 6:52 pm

I get that you meant in that the woman seems submissive. We all are when it comes to a mysterious, good looking guy in a suit Sad

But you could also look at it like he's trying to protect her too.

IT COULD BE ANYTHING! Shocked #Art
Back to top Go down
TheWaxAndTheNeedle
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe)   New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe) Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 7:11 pm

I didn't take it like that at all. I like the print. I had asked the guys at the merch booth about the poster both nights and they said that it wasn't in yet.
Back to top Go down
rumham
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe)   New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe) Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 7:41 pm

At least my take away from it is this, by using a character who pretty much is a spot on representation of Humphrey Bogart, it's hard to ignore the prejudice that existed in the time period which in a way defined his masculinity along with other old hollywood stars. They dressed well, were smooth talkers and didn't treat woman as equals and their wives were just supposed to accept it. I really liked El Jefe's work since he took some of these classic american romantic ideas and radicalized them with strong/mysterious female characters. Honestly, I just think this new poster is boring and pretty unoriginal.

Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe)   New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe) Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 9:08 pm

Quote :
it's hard to ignore the prejudice that existed in the time period which in a way defined his masculinity

What?
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe)   New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe) Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 9:11 pm

poster is kewl
Back to top Go down
rumham
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe)   New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe) Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 10:07 pm

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
Quote :
it's hard to ignore the prejudice that existed in the time period which in a way defined his masculinity

What?

Sorry a tad bit unclear/confusing since I was typing it out on my phone.. Old Hollywood stars like Sinatra/Bogart, and even made up characters like Don Draper in mad men have part of their masculinity attributed to their ability to get women. In the that time period, women were supposed to be naive, submissive, obedient people which made it extremely easy for men. Although we glorify these old hollywood stars lifestyles which included being womanizers, we're also ignoring how flawed american society was during the time period with how they viewed women which essentially allowed them to be who they were. When I see a picture of a character who is supposed to embody Humphrey Bogart and a woman at his feet, my knee jerk reaction isn't "that's so romantic", to me I see the 50's/60's gender stereotype with the submissive female. Part of the reason I really like El Jefe's art is because he took the classic submissive female and made her a dominant/strong focal point. Aside from the lyric "Here's looking at you kid", there's nothing in TGA's music which makes me think of Old Hollywood stars like Bogart. To each their own I guess, if you like the art then enjoy.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe)   New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe) Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 11:16 pm

greasylake wrote:
NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
Quote :

What?

Sorry a tad bit unclear/confusing since I was typing it out on my phone.. Old Hollywood stars like Sinatra/Bogart, and even made up characters like Don Draper in mad men have part of their masculinity attributed to their ability to get women. In the that time period, women were supposed to be naive, submissive, obedient people which made it extremely easy for men. Although we glorify these old hollywood stars lifestyles which included being womanizers, we're also ignoring how flawed american society was during the time period with how they viewed women which essentially allowed them to be who they were. When I see a picture of a character who is supposed to embody Humphrey Bogart and a woman at his feet, my knee jerk reaction isn't "that's so romantic", to me I see the 50's/60's gender stereotype with the submissive female. Part of the reason I really like El Jefe's art is because he took the classic submissive female and made her a dominant/strong focal point. Aside from the lyric "Here's looking at you kid", there's nothing in TGA's music which makes me think of Old Hollywood stars like Bogart. To each their own I guess, if you like the art then enjoy.

^^Well said High Five
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe)   New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe) Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 11:13 am

greasylake wrote:
NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
Quote :

What?

You really don't hear anything that makes you think of old Hollywood in Gaslight's music? That's really surprising to me, as they often evoke it quite vividly, in my opinion (and many others, I'm sure). It started with Sink Or Swim, it's all over The '59 Sound, and it even occasionally pops up time to time (Mae, off the top of my head).

I also viewed it the way NTAJ did, which is in a very sexual way. There are a lot of women who like having their hands all over their fella. That's not being submissive, it's actually being quite sexually aggressive.

You can take this in a million different directions. The man seems very indifferent to this gorgeous woman hanging off him. Maybe he's gay and this is actually a very forward-looking poster. Wink

But, and I say this with a dash of irony, to each his own. Cool
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe)   New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe) Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 2:42 pm

I think we should start posting rorschach images and people should post what they see in them.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe)   New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Gaslight Posters on Sale Thursday (Non-El Jefe)
Page 1 of 1