DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Brad Paisley

Go down 
+4
DeathoftheCool
The Last Jukebox Romeo
steph
JimmyB
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

Brad Paisley Empty
PostSubject: Brad Paisley   Brad Paisley Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 2:09 pm

Anyone else like his music?
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

Brad Paisley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brad Paisley   Brad Paisley Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 4:17 pm

no, but i won't judge your favorite singer if you don't judge my middle finger
Back to top Go down
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Last Jukebox Romeo

Brad Paisley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brad Paisley   Brad Paisley Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 4:53 pm

steph wrote:

Brad Paisley 3omnqu11
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

Brad Paisley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brad Paisley   Brad Paisley Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 5:48 pm

i'm sorry about everything, jimmy
Back to top Go down
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Last Jukebox Romeo

Brad Paisley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brad Paisley   Brad Paisley Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 6:47 pm

I've just checked some of his stuff out, I'm not sure i'll listen to too much based on first impressions but its definitely not too bad. Hell, its better than a lot of the other crap i have been forced to endure by my friends today.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

Brad Paisley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brad Paisley   Brad Paisley Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 6:48 pm

He's actually a local guy (Outside of Morgantown WV)...
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

Brad Paisley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brad Paisley   Brad Paisley Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 12:20 am

steph wrote:

"I won't judge your Yamaka if you don't judge my Swastika"

for those not familiar with the guy, look up his new song called "Accidentally racist" and then weep silently that people like this actually exist in the world. The song literally contains the line "If you don't judge my gold chains, I'll forget the iron chains"). Guy literally got LL Cool J to equate black people wearing jewelry to slavery. Really don't get how anyone can actually like the guy after hearing something like that. Its not as bad as it was with Lost Prophets, but its still certainly "how can you enjoy the music if you can't respect the musician" principle.

but hey... i don't actually like any country music to being with. if people want to keep supporting this racist scumbag its still a free country. I'm just saying, if Brian wrote a song like that I'd never enjoy a gaslight song again.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

Brad Paisley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brad Paisley   Brad Paisley Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 12:43 am

CluckyB wrote:
steph wrote:

for those not familiar with the guy, look up his new song called "Accidentally racist" and then weep silently that people like this actually exist in the world. The song literally contains the line "If you don't judge my gold chains, I'll forget the iron chains"). Guy literally got LL Cool J to equate black people wearing jewelry to slavery. Really don't get how anyone can actually like the guy after hearing something like that. Its not as bad as it was with Lost Prophets, but its still certainly "how can you enjoy the music if you can't respect the musician" principle.

but hey... i don't actually like any country music to being with. if people want to keep supporting this racist scumbag its still a free country. I'm just saying, if Brian wrote a song like that I'd never enjoy a gaslight song again.

Agreed. Although I don't even think he's necessarily racist (just accidentally), I think he's just dumb. Actually, I can't decide who's dumber, Brad=the person who wrote the ignorant song, or LL Cool J= the guy who doesn't even recognize how ignorant the song is about his own people!
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

Brad Paisley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brad Paisley   Brad Paisley Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 1:11 am

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
CluckyB wrote:
steph wrote:

Agreed. Although I don't even think he's necessarily racist (just accidentally), I think he's just dumb. Actually, I can't decide who's dumber, Brad=the person who wrote the ignorant song, or LL Cool J= the guy who doesn't even recognize how ignorant the song is about his own people!

"Accidental" racism is what happened to him at first. He wears a shirt with a confederate flag on it into a bar. People get upset. He has never previously realized just how offensive of a symbol that is to some people and though he was just supporting a band.

This goes far beyond that. Its more of an "Ignorant racism" -- the guy probably doesn't hate black people, but he enjoys sticking his fingers in his ears going "lalala I'm not being racist I'm 'prompting discussion' ". But yeah, the saddest part is thinking about the number of people involved in the album creation process who didn't stop and go "hey wait is this really a good idea".
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

Brad Paisley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brad Paisley   Brad Paisley Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 1:26 am

CluckyB wrote:
steph wrote:

waaaait a minute...the yarmulke/swastika line...is that a line in the song?! because holy shit how can you srsly compare those two things.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

Brad Paisley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brad Paisley   Brad Paisley Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 1:36 am

steph wrote:
CluckyB wrote:
steph wrote:

waaaait a minute...the yarmulke/swastika line...is that a line in the song?! because holy shit how can you srsly compare those two things.

The line in the song is "If you don't just my du-rag then I won't judge your red flag". Its not quite as harsh as the Yamaka/Swastika but its still the same kind of "How can you even compare those things????"
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

Brad Paisley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brad Paisley   Brad Paisley Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 2:58 am

Quote :

That doesn't appear in the lyrics.

I understand the positive concept of judging each other as individuals and not by stereotypes or actions other members of their skin color have taken. But suggesting they accomplish this by forgetting history is a silly idea. I loved LL's music back in the day, but those lyrics were just ridiculous and not thought through at all.

I don't understand who you're saying is the racist scumbag. And why you'd think he "got" LL to say anything? I assumed LL wrote his own lines.

As far as the Confederate flag, I always took it as a generic "Yay South!" symbol of pride. I admit I never thought of the negative connotations of it until people started speaking up about how it made them feel to see it. http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-07-14-naacp-confederate-flag_N.htm
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

Brad Paisley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brad Paisley   Brad Paisley Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 3:11 am

CluckyB wrote:
steph wrote:
CluckyB wrote:
steph wrote:

The line in the song is "If you don't just my du-rag then I won't judge your red flag". Its not quite as harsh as the Yamaka/Swastika but its still the same kind of "How can you even compare those things????"

okay, that's the line i've heard! but you're right, it's very similar. "if you don't judge my fashion, i won't judge your continued allegiance to a symbol that represents so much hatred and fear towards a group of minorities that i am a part of" what.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

Brad Paisley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brad Paisley   Brad Paisley Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 3:12 am

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
Quote :

I understand the positive concept of judging each other as individuals and not by stereotypes or actions other members of their skin color have taken. But suggesting they accomplish this by forgetting history is a silly idea. I loved LL's music back in the day, but those lyrics were just ridiculous and not thought through at all.

I don't understand who you're saying is the racist scumbag. And why you'd think he "got" LL to say anything? I assumed LL wrote his own lines.

As far as the Confederate flag, I always took it as a generic "Yay South!" symbol of pride. I admit I never thought of the negative connotations of it until people started speaking up about how it made them feel to see it. http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-07-14-naacp-confederate-flag_N.htm

i've realized recently that some people take it more as a thing of Southern pride, but i've gotta say, i've always done a double take when i see that flag.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

Brad Paisley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brad Paisley   Brad Paisley Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 4:04 am

Well since the point was raised I definitely have looked at it like "Hm..." but before I just never thought about it.

Maybe they need a new flag. *shrug*
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

Brad Paisley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brad Paisley   Brad Paisley Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 4:09 am

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
Quote :

the guy put out the album under his name. who knows who actually wrote those lines, but if you put it on your album you're responsible for the lyrical content.

The fact that some white people in the south take the Confederate flag as a symbol of pride doesn't mean its not racist. It just means they aren't trying to be racist. I'd have zero problems with the guy if he had just been like "I wasn't trying to offend anyone by having a Confederate flag but in the future I'll avoid doing so", but trying to claim it isn't racist like hes doing just really rubs me the wrong way.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

Brad Paisley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brad Paisley   Brad Paisley Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 4:52 am

I think some people who fly the Confederate battle flag are honoring the idea of the South being unified but are completely forgetting about what they were unified about. Then some other people are displaying it because they really are just dumbass racists. It's understandable why seeing that flag would be offensive to people whose ancestors were slaves. And Brad Paisley should understand why it would be confusing to someone else who doesn't know him personally to see him wearing it. Or, maybe painting the imagery in the beginning of the song was just a way to get the conversation rolling and realized he (or the character in the song) wants to understand how/why it's offensive to someone else.

To me the lyrics are saying "I want to wear this Confederate flag on my shirt despite the association it has with a very disgusting, nasty history because I'm a Southern man with Southern pride. Let me have this without associating me personally with the white assholes who originally flew this flag. And also please do not condemn me for what those people did because I wasn't there and may not believe in the same things they did." Then LL's like "OK well don't judge me by how I'm dressed and I'll just let everything go." WTF? I think the point LL's trying to make is he's willing to forgive or at least not blame Brad Paisley for what other white Southerners have done, but using the word "forget" is a poor choice of words.

Here are the lyrics (according to AZ Lyrics)
"Accidental Racist"
(feat. Ll Cool J)

To the man that waited on me at the Starbucks down on Main, I hope you understand
When I put on that t-shirt, the only thing I meant to say is I’m a Skynyrd fan
The red flag on my chest somehow is like the elephant in the corner of the south
And I just walked him right in the room
Just a proud rebel son with an ‘ol can of worms
Lookin’ like I got a lot to learn but from my point of view

I’m just a white man comin’ to you from the southland
Tryin’ to understand what it’s like not to be
I’m proud of where I’m from but not everything we’ve done
And it ain’t like you and me can re-write history
Our generation didn’t start this nation
We’re still pickin’ up the pieces, walkin’ on eggshells, fightin’ over yesterday
And caught between southern pride and southern blame

They called it Reconstruction, fixed the buildings, dried some tears
We’re still siftin’ through the rubble after a hundred-fifty years
I try to put myself in your shoes and that’s a good place to begin
But it ain’t like I can walk a mile in someone else’s skin

‘Cause I’m a white man livin’ in the southland
Just like you I’m more than what you see
I’m proud of where I’m from but not everything we’ve done
And it ain’t like you and me can re-write history
Our generation didn’t start this nation
And we’re still paying for mistakes
That a bunch of folks made long before we came
And caught between southern pride and southern blame

Dear Mr. White Man, I wish you understood
What the world is really like when you’re livin’ in the hood
Just because my pants are saggin’ doesn’t mean I’m up to no good
You should try to get to know me, I really wish you would
Now my chains are gold but I’m still misunderstood
I wasn’t there when Sherman’s March turned the south into firewood
I want you to get paid but be a slave I never could
Feel like a new fangled Django, dodgin’ invisible white hoods
So when I see that white cowboy hat, I’m thinkin’ it’s not all good
I guess we’re both guilty of judgin’ the cover not the book
I’d love to buy you a beer, conversate and clear the air
But I see that red flag and I think you wish I wasn’t here

I’m just a white man
(If you don’t judge my do-rag)
Comin’ to you from the southland
(I won’t judge your red flag)
Tryin’ to understand what it’s like not to be

I’m proud of where I’m from
(If you don’t judge my gold chains)
But not everything we’ve done
(I’ll forget the iron chains)
it ain’t like you and me can re-write history
(Can’t re-write history baby)

Oh, Dixieland
(The relationship between the Mason-Dixon needs some fixin’)
I hope you understand what this is all about
(Quite frankly I’m a black Yankee but I’ve been thinkin’ about this lately)
I’m a son of the new south
(The past is the past, you feel me)
And I just want to make things right
(Let bygones be bygones)
Where all that’s left is southern pride
(RIP Robert E. Lee but I’ve gotta thank Abraham Lincoln for freeing me, know what I mean)
It’s real, it’s real
It’s truth
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

Brad Paisley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brad Paisley   Brad Paisley Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 5:50 am

OH DEAR SWEET BABY MAN IN THE SKY

first of all, okay, not necessarily first, but ONE point of ALL, "conversate"?? i mean that had to be on purpose to sound stupid, no matter what side it was coming from.

SECOND-ISH, "judge me not on what i wear on my head & i won't judge you based on your complete racist bullshit"?? i think if i were black, i'd be offended by the oversimplification & condescension of that, and i kind of am, simply on the basis of being a human being.

THIRD-iiiish, the confederate flag : southern pride :: swastika : naziism ...?

Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

Brad Paisley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brad Paisley   Brad Paisley Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 9:43 am

I give him credit for trying to get people to forgive, and not judge. The fact people still judge people based on what they look like, etc disgusts me. Basically brad is saying in his song "I'm not my ancestors, I'm not like them at all".
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

Brad Paisley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brad Paisley   Brad Paisley Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 2:01 pm

Steph in a way-ish I could see it being equated with someone saying "I'm wearing this swastika cus yay German pride! But please don't think I'm a Nazi!"
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

Brad Paisley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brad Paisley   Brad Paisley Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 4:18 pm

JimmyB wrote:
I give him credit for trying to get people to forgive, and not judge. The fact people still judge people based on what they look like, etc disgusts me. Basically brad is saying in his song "I'm not my ancestors, I'm not like them at all".

I agree that's probably the intent but he does it in an extremely ignorant way that highlights how naive he is. The only purpose this song serves is to remind people how we are NOT beyond racism and still have work to do.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

Brad Paisley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brad Paisley   Brad Paisley Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 6:23 pm

I think that is the point- to show we have a lot of work to do. Which, duh. It could have been written so much better though.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

Brad Paisley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brad Paisley   Brad Paisley Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 2:58 pm

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
I think that is the point- to show we have a lot of work to do. Which, duh. It could have been written so much better though.

Actually, ironically it I think it highlighted the fact that there is a lot of work to do extremely well. Like, if he had just written a less offensive song then it wouldn't have gotten much notice. Instead, it helped open some eyes to the institutional racism problems in the south. I really don't think this was really the goal (cause who has the goal of coming across as insensitive and racist), but it still did a better drop creating awareness/promoting discussion than originally intended.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

Brad Paisley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brad Paisley   Brad Paisley Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 3:25 pm

Well. Let's not single out the South. There's plenty of racism elsewhere in the US too Neutral

But you're right. Bottom line was they wanted to get people talking, and they did.
Back to top Go down
LuceroDiehard
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
LuceroDiehard

Brad Paisley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brad Paisley   Brad Paisley Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 10:01 am

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
Well. Let's not single out the South. There's plenty of racism elsewhere in the US too Neutral

Good point, NTAJ...I grew up right outside DC and when integration finally hit decades after Brown v Board of Education, I was shocked at the racism from my neighbors in my overwhelming Democratic county.

Living here in Redneck Central (Jacksonville, Fla) I have seen some ugly racism too but more at the governmental level--which is more pernicious IMHO

Back to top Go down
http://bobbyw24.tumblr.com/archive
Sponsored content

Brad Paisley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brad Paisley   Brad Paisley Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brad Paisley
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: Other :: Other Bands-
Jump to: