DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"Mae" as a show opener

Go down 
+14
Anderson19
FrankieG
Labhras
Raoul_Duke
CasanovaBaby90
The Cool
Steve70s
Jerseyrain
plugga
Sally
NYYFAN523
NeverTrustAJunkie
simo
StitchesOnTheRadio
18 posters
AuthorMessage
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

"Mae" as a show opener Empty
PostSubject: "Mae" as a show opener   "Mae" as a show opener Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 2:46 am

My friends and I saw the guys open with Mae at the album release show and we all loved it. I'd count it as a highlight of the show. Yet it seems like a number of other people have said it just "didn't work".

I'm curious as to why you guys feel that way? Did they do the thing with twinkly lights in the background and the backdrop falling into place after the song ends like they did at the album release show? Maybe without it, it doesn't have the same effect.

It left me and at least one of my friends totally awed so I'm very confused by the reaction. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: "Mae" as a show opener   "Mae" as a show opener Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 2:49 am

I haven't seen it so I can't really say but I feel like it's good to start the show off with a bang when everyone is really hyped up and ready to go.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: "Mae" as a show opener   "Mae" as a show opener Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 3:08 am

simo wrote:
I haven't seen it so I can't really say but I feel like it's good to start the show off with a bang when everyone is really hyped up and ready to go.

I totally agree. The cool thing I found though was they did this like magical performance of the song, then the backdrop fell and it was like BAM! and they exploded into the next song. So we still got that and if anything it was more powerful because it was like we were in a trance and everyone was holding their breath waiting for that explosion.

Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: "Mae" as a show opener   "Mae" as a show opener Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 3:57 am

Mae at Webster Hall was amazing.

Personally I'm a fan of Great Expectations as the opener, but that night Mae was really something special.
Back to top Go down
NYYFAN523
A Contender
A Contender
NYYFAN523

PostSubject: Re: "Mae" as a show opener   "Mae" as a show opener Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 3:59 am

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
Mae at Webster Hall was amazing.

Personally I'm a fan of Great Expectations as the opener, but that night Mae was really something special.

I've always preferred Great Expectations as an opener but after seeing Mae at Webster Hall in person I hope they open with it again at Terminal 5 night 1.
Back to top Go down
http://every-word-handwritten.tumblr.com/
Sally
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: "Mae" as a show opener   "Mae" as a show opener Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 4:38 am

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
My friends and I saw the guys open with Mae at the album release show and we all loved it. I'd count it as a highlight of the show. Yet it seems like a number of other people have said it just "didn't work".

I'm curious as to why you guys feel that way? Did they do the thing with twinkly lights in the background and the backdrop falling into place after the song ends like they did at the album release show? Maybe without it, it doesn't have the same effect.

It left me and at least one of my friends totally awed so I'm very confused by the reaction. Thoughts?

coming out of my lurkerdom to say that yeah, I was one of those awed friends. It was beautiful and so unexpected. I hope they keep doing it because it was probably my favourite Gaslight concert experience. That moment when the backdrop came down was pretty perfect (I think they've still been doing that; somebody told me about that at a recent show they were at). It just really made me feel like I was seeing something special.
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

PostSubject: Re: "Mae" as a show opener   "Mae" as a show opener Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 7:19 am

i wasn't really a fan of mae before seeing them on this tour and now it's one of my favorites on the new album. So yeah, I loved it.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: "Mae" as a show opener   "Mae" as a show opener Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 8:24 am

It does build as the song progresses I think but Im not a fan of it as an opener. They usually rip straight into a fast number like T59S immediately afterwards anyway. I'm a bit tired of the predictability of Great Expectations as an opener. In some festival shows I've seen them open with High Lonesome, Orphans and I think American Slang or 45 are both good opening songs...
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

PostSubject: Re: "Mae" as a show opener   "Mae" as a show opener Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 8:28 am

1930 as an opener would be lovely.
a girl can dream.

even blue dahlia.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Mae" as a show opener   "Mae" as a show opener Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 4:58 am

I thought Mae was a great opener at Glasgow - as soon as it finished the backdrop fell down and they launched straight into The '59 Sound - awesome start to a show!!!
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

PostSubject: Re: "Mae" as a show opener   "Mae" as a show opener Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 9:12 am

I only find it strange because the Handwritten album, for me, builds up to Mae which makes it odd to start the set with.

But that's just my view of the track and I have no problem with whatever they open with at all.
Back to top Go down
The Cool
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
The Cool

PostSubject: Re: "Mae" as a show opener   "Mae" as a show opener Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 9:56 am

It shocked me when I heard the opening notes on the first Brixton night but after that it just felt right. I also think it makes an awesome image to see the four of them (not Benny) all in line at the front of the stage playing such a gentle song.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: "Mae" as a show opener   "Mae" as a show opener Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 5:27 pm

Steve70s wrote:
I only find it strange because the Handwritten album, for me, builds up to Mae which makes it odd to start the set with.

But that's just my view of the track and I have no problem with whatever they open with at all.

I thought that too which is why I was shocked when it worked! I definitely wouldn't change it's spot on the album though because you're right it does build to it.
Back to top Go down
CasanovaBaby90
A Contender
A Contender
CasanovaBaby90

PostSubject: Re: "Mae" as a show opener   "Mae" as a show opener Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 11:43 pm

When I first heard of them opening with Mae I didn't feel like it could work. Long behold, in September in Ottawa they opened with it and it was perfect. That song grew so much on me with every listen. Hell, it's still growing.
Back to top Go down
Raoul_Duke
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Raoul_Duke

PostSubject: Re: "Mae" as a show opener   "Mae" as a show opener Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2012 9:26 am

its a great opener. i said in another thread it reminds me of pearl jam opening with 'Release' at shows, slow and building. Like someone said i couldnt be more bored to shit of great expectations as an opener.

plugga wrote:
1930 as an opener would be lovely.
a girl can dream.

even blue dahlia.

for them to just play 1930 would be nice.

Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

PostSubject: Re: "Mae" as a show opener   "Mae" as a show opener Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2012 10:26 am

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
Steve70s wrote:

I thought that too which is why I was shocked when it worked! I definitely wouldn't change it's spot on the album though because you're right it does build to it.

At the Birmingham show the twinkly lights and backdrop appearing at the end of Mae were lost on me as I went the whole show without even seeing Benny! We were off to the left but at the barrier so had a great view of the other four.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: "Mae" as a show opener   "Mae" as a show opener Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2012 3:54 pm

Raoul_Duke wrote:

for them to just play 1930 would be nice.

Haha yes.
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: "Mae" as a show opener   "Mae" as a show opener Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2012 3:59 pm

"i wanna see you tonight, would you come for a drive?"

sounds like the start of something to me.
Back to top Go down
FrankieG
A Contender
A Contender
FrankieG

PostSubject: Re: "Mae" as a show opener   "Mae" as a show opener Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 11:43 pm

Mae opened the show for the only one I have been too. I liked it. I have nothing to compare it to, but I thought the slower start was a nice intro of what was to come.
Back to top Go down
Anderson19
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: "Mae" as a show opener   "Mae" as a show opener Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 9:07 am

Mae was awesome opener!

Hopefully they bring it back for future dates.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: "Mae" as a show opener   "Mae" as a show opener Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 9:21 am

the Intro is written like it should be an opener, It just has that drum/bass line that keeps building, keeps creating anticipation, and then it just starts.
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: "Mae" as a show opener   "Mae" as a show opener Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 10:12 am

Totally agree Jimmy! It's a great opener so long as enough people in the crowd know it, but I wouldn't recommend opening a big festival wiht it
Back to top Go down
HorribleCrowe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
HorribleCrowe

PostSubject: Re: "Mae" as a show opener   "Mae" as a show opener Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 7:17 am

Mae is like Thunder Road from Springsteen.
Great opener and introduction to a show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvfFuASYgfM
Back to top Go down
NoSurrender
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
NoSurrender

PostSubject: Re: "Mae" as a show opener   "Mae" as a show opener Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 7:47 am

I totally agree with the above 3 comments. I think Mae is the perfect opener!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Mae" as a show opener   "Mae" as a show opener Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Mae" as a show opener
Page 1 of 1