DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchRegisterLog in

"Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

"Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP   "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 5:26 pm

I love that Misery is the most played of all the songs on there right now Smile
Back to top Go down
mely88
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
mely88

PostSubject: Re: "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP   "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 5:55 am

Can somebody tell me who is that second voice singing beside Brian in Misery? Smile Any speculations?
Back to top Go down
ifieverstray
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP   "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 9:44 am

where can I listen to the song....youtube and spotify dont have it...
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP   "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 11:19 am

mely88 wrote:
Can somebody tell me who is that second voice singing beside Brian in Misery? :)Any speculations?
It's hard to tell (I'm amazed you caught that there was another voice, I was oblivious!) but I'd bet it's Brian. He has a tendency to do his own backing vocals and it kinda sounds like him. It sounds like almost a perfect echo rather than a separate vocal track even. That's what I think. Maybe someone else knows for sure.

ifieverstray wrote:
where can I listen to the song....youtube and spotify dont have it...
youtube has like 5 copies of it. are they just not available in your country? if that's the case and you live in the UK, then go to amazon, you can buy it there. otherwise I can't help ya. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDYqSJ2Kuwo

Shows I've been to (if anyone actually cares)::

Back to top Go down
ifieverstray
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP   "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 1:41 pm

germany :-(
Back to top Go down
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Anya_TGA

PostSubject: Re: "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP   "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 2:17 pm

ifieverstray wrote:
same here in Luxembourg -.-
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP   "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 12, 2013 6:46 pm

I'm 99% sure that Brian is the only person who recorded vocals for Misery.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Hanswurst
Wooderson
Wooderson
Hanswurst

PostSubject: Re: "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP   "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 12, 2013 7:12 pm

Anya_TGA wrote:
ifieverstray wrote:
you can listen to the song on here - right below the picture with dave, its a little bit to scroll down Wink
Back to top Go down
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Anya_TGA

PostSubject: Re: "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP   "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Hanswurst wrote:
Anya_TGA wrote:
ifieverstray wrote:
you can listen to the song on here - right below the picture with dave, its a little bit to scroll down Wink
alright, thanks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ifieverstray
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP   "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 9:36 am

thx a lot
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

PostSubject: Re: "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP   "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 8:39 am

Was Misery done during the recording of the Handwritten album?
Back to top Go down
mely88
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
mely88

PostSubject: Re: "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP   "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 1:44 pm

Steve70s wrote:
Was Misery done during the recording of the Handwritten album?
I'd really like to know the reason for this question Smile

Last edited by mely88 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mely88
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
mely88

PostSubject: Re: "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP   "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 1:48 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
mely88 wrote:
Can somebody tell me who is that second voice singing beside Brian in Misery? :)Any speculations?
It's hard to tell (I'm amazed you caught that there was another voice, I was oblivious!) but I'd bet it's Brian. He has a tendency to do his own backing vocals and it kinda sounds like him. It sounds like almost a perfect echo rather than a separate vocal track even. That's what I think. Maybe someone else knows for sure.
I've been thinking about that too, sounds logical to me Smile
He did the same with "we did it when we were young" right??
Back to top Go down
jonester
A Contender
A Contender
jonester

PostSubject: Re: "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP   "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 28, 2013 1:11 pm

what are your interpretations of the lyrics in Misery? I get the general gyst of the song , but the DSS members seem to be able to look deeper into the meaning of lyrics than I can. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP   "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 29, 2013 2:21 am

It's ALMOST as if the narrator's significant other left him and now he's bitterly saying goodbye
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP   "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 29, 2013 2:32 am

A lot of Misery implies that both the narrator and the girl he's addressing have alcohol/drug issues ("get yourself wrecked", "you're stumbling home" "if the pills in my system came to call you" "buy me a drink to calm down")
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP   "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 30, 2013 3:08 am

jonester wrote:
what are your interpretations of the lyrics in Misery? I get the general gyst of the song , but the DSS members seem to be able to look deeper into the meaning of lyrics than I can. Thoughts?
So this has always been my rough interpretation of it. No idea how accurate it actually is:

I always took the first part (and theme of the song) as the narrator maybe not being around enough so his wife had been off living the single life (drinking excessively, staying out late, getting a little too flirty with strangers). I got that in part from "A thousand miles away, I be creepin' down your spine and making you wait." Kinda like the narrator knows that while he's miles away doing his own thing (maybe traveling for work, on tour, etc), his wife is stuck home, waiting for him, waiting to have their life together, waiting to have a good time, etc. and it's getting to her.

Another possible (and less literal) meaning for the "a thousand miles away" is like someone is mentally 1000 miles away. I don't have many thoughts on that possibility, but it would still fit the song.

In the chorus, I think he's angrily saying "fine, just go, hope ya find something better even though you won't" Hence the finding a handsome young man who'll love her like he can. He's saying almost sarcastically, hope you can find someone who's young and fun but also loves you as much I do.

The next part (C'mon light it up...) I'm less clear on. It kinda seems like he's saying, sure go have fun, you deserve it, (the good and the bad, like the "shivers downtown") because I haven't been around, but I didn't forget, that you haven't been there for me either. She's spending her nights out, and he's being left alone.

For the "if you saw this much blood..." part: I think he's saying, if you saw a physical representation (blood) of how you've destroyed me, and if I was using drugs because of it and freakin' out, would you be there for me then? Or something slightly less literal but the same idea. Like "if you saw how much you're destroying me or if you do leave me and it does destroy me, will you come back to me to calm me down and make it right again". I saw this as the part of the song where he stops saying "fine, go." and says "but wait, I'm afraid of you leaving and never coming back."

Overall I think the girl is getting impatient/bored with the relationship and how the guy is handling it, and the guy gets that but he's pointing out how her behaving the way she is, isn't helping anything, and isn't going to get her the perfect life. But that's only one persons side of the argument Wink

I'd really be curious to hear other people's thoughts though! especially if they're way different than mine.

Back to top Go down
jonester
A Contender
A Contender
jonester

PostSubject: Re: "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP   "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 30, 2013 11:21 am

wow excellent responses, I did get the point that one verse was the reasons she's in misery and one verse was his. But like always you guys can find more.
Back to top Go down
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Anya_TGA

PostSubject: Re: "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP   "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 30, 2013 3:25 pm

wow a really good interpretation High Five 
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP   "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 11:57 pm

The themes of Misery fit very well with Get Hurt. I would have almost preferred they re-recorded this song over Halloween.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP   "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 12:44 am

Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:
The themes of Misery fit very well with Get Hurt. I would have almost preferred they re-recorded this song over Halloween.

I was thinking exactly this the other day. I wish they would notice that and maybe incorporate Misery in the set but I don't have high hopes for it. I mean, I don't even have high hopes we're gonna hear Have Mercy or Break Your Heart very much on this tour because they're slower songs and they ARE on the album. But you never know.

But I wouldn't want it re-recorded, just re-released. That recording was fine.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP   "Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Misery" and "Hold You Up" lyrics - Here Comes My Man EP
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: The Gaslight Anthem :: Song Meanings-
Jump to: