DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas

Go down 
+6
StitchesOnTheRadio
StopAndSlideToTheRight
azlisa
TGAFAN25
Christophe
40 Miler
10 posters
AuthorMessage
40 Miler
A Contender
A Contender

Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas Empty
PostSubject: Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas   Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 2:50 pm

Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas   Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 3:05 pm

Thanks for posting. Good to hear Desire for the first time live. Sounds great acoustic.
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas   Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 4:46 pm

I would love to hear Here Comes My Man acoustic.... Desire's cool, but the teaser video for HCMM with the acoustic lead in sounded absolutely icnredible
Back to top Go down
40 Miler
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas   Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 5:04 pm

rkirkpatrick25 wrote:
I would love to hear Here Comes My Man acoustic.... Desire's cool, but the teaser video for HCMM with the acoustic lead in sounded absolutely icnredible

Yeah that's definitely one i want to hear. We need more radio sessions!
Back to top Go down
azlisa
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
azlisa

PostSubject: Re: Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas   Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 1:45 am

thank you!! he sounds so great.
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/azlisa
StopAndSlideToTheRight
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
StopAndSlideToTheRight

PostSubject: Re: Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas   Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 2:48 am

The acoustic version of Desire kinda reminds me of that old Kelly Clarkson cover.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas   Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 5:06 am

rkirkpatrick25 wrote:

I know I'm bursting with anticipation for that one!!! It seems like he's going to do every song but that one. I bet we'll hear it once the music video is released and it becomes the next single.

Also I LOVE this version of Desire and I agree with StopAndSlideToTheRight it reminds me of the Kelly Clarkson cover too here.
Back to top Go down
thomas94
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
thomas94

PostSubject: Re: Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas   Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 8:43 pm

Thanks for posting the videos! Especially Desire was well done (I think this is the first time he ever played it acoustically for a larger crowd )

One the one side, I really like how Brian's voice always calms down and sounds tempered when he plays Handwritten acoustically (that fits to the acoustic version, if you ask me) compared to the "normal" version, where he sounds more energetic and more aggressive..

On the other side, there are songs like the Kelly Clarkson cover that Brian puts their really own spin on by using those "emotional breakouts"...I hope you get what I mean, because my english ends here Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas   Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 9:12 am

Can we be honest here? If this was some random guy doing acoustic covers on Youtube...most comments would be about how bad he is. Vocally, Brian's constantly searching for the right notes, he messes up the words, he messes up the chords, his timing is really all-over-the-place and there's no consistency in the strumming pattern.

He can turn in great acoustic performances, but he also turns in just as many (if not more) very lacking ones. These clearly belong to the latter category.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
rgillies
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
rgillies

PostSubject: Re: Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas   Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 9:25 am

JackStreetcar wrote:
Can we be honest here? If this was some random guy doing acoustic covers on Youtube...most comments would be about how bad he is. Vocally, Brian's constantly searching for the right notes, he messes up the words, he messes up the chords, his timing is really all-over-the-place and there's no consistency in the strumming pattern.

He can turn in great acoustic performances, but he also turns in just as many (if not more) very lacking ones. These clearly belong to the latter category.

Couldn't agree more
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas   Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 6:58 pm

rgillies wrote:
JackStreetcar wrote:

Couldn't agree more

I agree but honestly if I like someone's voice then I don't get too bogged down in that stuff. But I don't listen to random people on youtube regardless of how good they are so maybe I'm a bad judge. But yeah sometimes I'm like "okay, that sounds pretty eh" and I felt that way about Handwritten (from these two) but I genuinely liked Desire here.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas   Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 11:11 am

I liked Desire too, mostly because he used his lower register (which I think he should use all the time in acoustic performances because it's fucking awesome). But sometimes he just does wacky shit in the acoustic performances. Sorry, didn't mean to be overly negative, I just felt like it had to be said.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
StopAndSlideToTheRight
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
StopAndSlideToTheRight

PostSubject: Re: Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas   Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 1:18 pm

It kills me having to write this, but it seems to me that in all the recent acoustic performances (last year or so) whenever Brian (awesome though he is) hits the upper register, he sounds really out of tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJkEszQAhJc

You can't deny that the singing here is better than the two videos this thread is about.
Back to top Go down
StopAndSlideToTheRight
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
StopAndSlideToTheRight

PostSubject: Re: Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas   Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 1:21 pm

StopAndSlideToTheRight wrote:
It kills me having to write this, but it seems to me that in all the recent acoustic performances (last year or so) whenever Brian (awesome though he is) hits the upper register, he sounds really out of tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJkEszQAhJc

You can't deny that the singing here is better than the two videos this thread is about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DYPHOuGHfU&feature=related

This is even better to compare.

1:10. That's what I want more of!
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas   Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 12:50 am

Here's my theory, Brian writes a lot of songs that require him to sing at the top of his range. Because it's the top of his range it's harder for him to consistently hit those notes. The difference though between his performances previously vs lately is the songs on Handwritten are harder to sing. He stays on notes longer, it's closer to singing than talking whereas I think the earlier records (even up through AS) the vocal notes were much shorter, almost like talking. In other words, he's really challenging himself vocally and either he'll get better at it or he'll give it up and just drop it down. If you go back and watch videos like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nMZaKkM1Gw
you can see how far he's come vocally so I'm sure he'll get better at the higher stuff. Also he sounded the best I've ever heard him when I saw them on September 30th and my friend said the same thing on October 6th.

Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas   Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 3:08 am

rkirkpatrick25 wrote:

Where'd you find the Here Comes My Man teaser video?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas   Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 5:01 am

jzancan wrote:
rkirkpatrick25 wrote:

It's in the making of video that got released on some german site months ago. Here's the video, it's at about the 7 minute mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqP4PYW-9g8
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas   Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 6:17 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
jzancan wrote:
rkirkpatrick25 wrote:

It's in the making of video that got released on some german site months ago. Here's the video, it's at about the 7 minute mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqP4PYW-9g8

Thanks!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas   Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Desire & Handwritten Acoustic in Las Vegas
Page 1 of 1