DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My roadtrip round Norway

Go down 
+2
SubconsciousRitual
bringiton_ty
6 posters
AuthorMessage

My roadtrip round Norway Empty
PostSubject: My roadtrip round Norway   My roadtrip round Norway Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 4:03 pm

So, I've spent the last 8 days or so driving around Norway. I got as far north as Andenes on Andoya island and drove round most of the fjords.

Its a truly spectacular country. I'm not sure I've been anywhere as consistently stunning as here - so far I've driven 4,100km and of that, maybe 200km has been through boring countryside.

The bad points:

Its eye-wateringly expensive here. Petrol is around £1.50 per litre, food and drink in the supermarket costs double that in the UK and hostels can be up to £40 for a dorm room, often charging an extra £6 for sheets!

I got a parking fine this morning for parking on the wrong side of a "parking here" sign (I did buy a ticket) and despite going to the parking authority's office in Trondheim to plead clemency, they wouldn't waive it. Not sure what to do about it - if i leave it unpaid they'll no doubt bill the rental car company who have my credit card details.

Finally, the national speed limit is only 80km/h which can make journeys seem slow and the temptation to speed very high. BUT they have extremely harsh penalties for driving offences (I may have been got by a speed camera yesterday so did a bit of research). Speeding fines range from £200 (for only 5km/h over the limit) to £800 for higher speeds. Being caught driving over 140km/h (around 87 mph) will get you an immediate 30 day jail sentence.

It explains why the locals are happy to drive in queues behind RVs and trucks going below the speed limit. At first I found this bemusing but now I find it kind of depressing that the state has managed to exert so much control over this part of people's lives. I know its only a small thing (just don't speed, right?) but for a country so developed (I think its considered the MOST developed country in the world), these kind of draconian penalties leave a sour taste.

Rant over, its still a staggeringly beautiful country.

Latefoss:

My roadtrip round Norway P1020234b

View from the "Stegastein" viewpoint:

My roadtrip round Norway P1020301b

Think this was driving over the Jotunheimen mountain range:

My roadtrip round Norway P1020473b

My roadtrip round Norway P1020421b

Geirangerfjord (and seven sisters waterfall):

My roadtrip round Norway P1020638b

My roadtrip round Norway P1020644b

My roadtrip round Norway P1020618b

Trollstigen mountain pass (breathtaking view):

My roadtrip round Norway P1020677b

My roadtrip round Norway P1020675b

The Atlantic Road (bit of a let-down if I'm honest):

My roadtrip round Norway P1020695b

Crossing Trondheimsfjord:

My roadtrip round Norway P1020741b

The Lofoten islands, in the arctic circle:

My roadtrip round Norway P1020786b

My roadtrip round Norway P1020842b

Island of Andoya:

My roadtrip round Norway P1020897b

My roadtrip round Norway P1020920b

My roadtrip round Norway P1020918b

Last edited by markbarlow on Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: My roadtrip round Norway   My roadtrip round Norway Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 4:24 pm

some fantastic photos mate. looks amazing! wow to those speeding punishments, they are harsh lol!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
SubconsciousRitual
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
SubconsciousRitual

PostSubject: Re: My roadtrip round Norway   My roadtrip round Norway Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 4:29 pm

Looks beautiful! I'd probably drive off the side of a mountain if I did 87 mph around some of those curves. So at least I wouldn't have to go to jail Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: My roadtrip round Norway   My roadtrip round Norway Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 6:27 pm

Norway is the most beautiful country on earth. I haven't ever been there, but I know that when I finally do go I'll be forever sad I'm not Norwegian.

Great pictures man, what camera are you using?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My roadtrip round Norway   My roadtrip round Norway Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 4:01 am

That looks unreal and amazing. Great pictures!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My roadtrip round Norway   My roadtrip round Norway Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 4:13 pm

bringiton_ty wrote:
some fantastic photos mate. looks amazing! wow to those speeding punishments, they are harsh lol!
Yep, hence me not wanting to have been got by a speed camera!

SubconsciousRitual wrote:
Looks beautiful! I'd probably drive off the side of a mountain if I did 87 mph around some of those curves. So at least I wouldn't have to go to jail Rolling Eyes
Well yea its difficult to drive that fast round hairpin bends but when you're on a motorway or a long, straight road - not so difficult. I've been religiously sticking to the speed limit the past few days and yelling "EIGHT HUNDRED POUNDS!" at anyone who overtook me.

Harbortown wrote:
Norway is the most beautiful country on earth. I haven't ever been there, but I know that when I finally do go I'll be forever sad I'm not Norwegian.

Thanks, its a Panasonic DMC-TZ10. Just a compact one, same as I used in New Zealand a few months back. I'm a point-and-click kinda guy when it comes to photos!

How can you not have been to Norway, its right next door?! Don't be sad you're not Norwegian though. From spending three nights in Gothenburg for Bruce, I think you've got it better (apart from the scenery of course). Your prices are much more reasonable and Sweden seems a livelier, more fun place than Norway. I've hardly seen any young people here - its full of OAP couples on holiday!

We've got Scotland to the north which is far more beautiful than England but it don't make me wanna be a Scot!

stepsandnumbers wrote:
That looks unreal and amazing. Great pictures!
Thanks Smile Few more below.

Driving down the Helgeland coast:

My roadtrip round Norway P1020970b-1

Bridge at Sandnessjoen (apparently voted the most beautiful bridge in Norway). Also only 2 minutes from the petrol station where I heard 45 playing:

My roadtrip round Norway P1030009b

Svartisen glacier:

My roadtrip round Norway P1030003b

Torghatten mountain (with a hole through the middle):

My roadtrip round Norway P1030049b

Couple from the drive back south (I'm flying home tomorrow):

My roadtrip round Norway P1030081b

My roadtrip round Norway P1030150b
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: My roadtrip round Norway   My roadtrip round Norway Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2012 9:51 am

markbarlow wrote:

Harbortown wrote:

Thanks, its a Panasonic DMC-TZ10. Just a compact one, same as I used in New Zealand a few months back. I'm a point-and-click kinda guy when it comes to photos!

How can you not have been to Norway, its right next door?! Don't be sad you're not Norwegian though. From spending three nights in Gothenburg for Bruce, I think you've got it better (apart from the scenery of course). Your prices are much more reasonable and Sweden seems a livelier, more fun place than Norway. I've hardly seen any young people here - its full of OAP couples on holiday!

We've got Scotland to the north which is far more beautiful than England but it don't make me wanna be a Scot!
Ah, very nice, that little bugger brings some seriously good quality for scenery.

Haha yeah I know, it kind of astounds me, really. I've been to USA three times, went to Germany and Denmark a lot and I've been to loads of other European countries..but not Norway. It's strange, really, as I've glorified that country since I was like 13.
I do love Sweden! And you're right, Norway is retardedly expensive, but their nature, man...It's like something straight out of a viking tale. It speaks to the fantasy geek within me. Oh and they're also one of the most patriotic countries in the world, which is in fresh contrast with Sweden which is one of the least patriotic countries in the world.
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: My roadtrip round Norway   My roadtrip round Norway Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2012 10:13 am

woah, it looks unbelievable there. these photos have cemented where i wanna visit next year! hope you enjoyed
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
luckyman
A Contender
A Contender
luckyman

PostSubject: Re: My roadtrip round Norway   My roadtrip round Norway Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2012 2:35 pm

Great photo's, but you have seriously put me off ever driving around Norway!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My roadtrip round Norway   My roadtrip round Norway Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2012 3:13 pm

Harbortown wrote:
Ah, very nice, that little bugger brings some seriously good quality for scenery.

Haha yeah I know, it kind of astounds me, really. I've been to USA three times, went to Germany and Denmark a lot and I've been to loads of other European countries..but not Norway. It's strange, really, as I've glorified that country since I was like 13.
I do love Sweden! And you're right, Norway is retardedly expensive, but their nature, man...It's like something straight out of a viking tale. It speaks to the fantasy geek within me. Oh and they're also one of the most patriotic countries in the world, which is in fresh contrast with Sweden which is one of the least patriotic countries in the world.

Yea its a good little camera and perfect for me as I don't want a fancy SLR or anything I have to spend too much time messing around with! I've shrunk all those shots so they load quicker but the originals are all 4000x3000 and look great - I got a couple from my NZ trip blown up on canvas with decent results.

bringiton_ty wrote:
woah, it looks unbelievable there. these photos have cemented where i wanna visit next year! hope you enjoyed

I'd love to go back there and would definitely recommend it although its not the most fun place to visit. I don't know whether its the prices or its location but its not on the usual backpackers' circuit so I didn't meet many young people there, even in the hostels (which were full of older couples and families). There didn't seem to be much of a pub culture there either - if you're going, its all about the scenery (which is extremely worthwhile).

I'd also recommend touring the country by car, despite the ridiculous limits/penalties - you could stick to the fjords in the west and see the best sights in a 3-5 day round trip from Sandefjord (where the cheap "Oslo" airport is). There's also some great scenery further north but its a hell of a long way and not as essential unless you've got the time. Let me know nearer the time and I'll give you some recommendations re where to stay/visit.

Apart from being expensive, the hostels are all of a really high standard - I think because they cater to families and couples rather than the traditional backpacker. 2 nights I ended up with a 10+ bed mountain cabin to myself including kitchen and lounge! Last night I had a 6 bed dorm to myself. Definitely take your own bed sheets to avoid the £6-8 hire charge.

luckyman wrote:
Great photo's, but you have seriously put me off ever driving around Norway!

Well the parking fine and the potential speeding fine certainly put a downer on things. Its so frustrating as most of the roads are so bloody good, you could tear round them safely, though I appreciate a lower limit maybe appropriate in the arctic winter.
Back to top Go down
thomas94
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
thomas94

PostSubject: Re: My roadtrip round Norway   My roadtrip round Norway Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2012 5:58 pm

I'm a little into photography too and all I wanna say that you've done some really amazing photos Wink ...would like to come to Norway some day, haven't been there before.
Back to top Go down
StopAndSlideToTheRight
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
StopAndSlideToTheRight

PostSubject: Re: My roadtrip round Norway   My roadtrip round Norway Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 4:01 pm

I haven't posted in a while, I just wanted to say that I'm currently on an exchange year in Norway (:

I absolutely love it here!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My roadtrip round Norway   My roadtrip round Norway Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 4:15 pm

StopAndSlideToTheRight wrote:
I haven't posted in a while, I just wanted to say that I'm currently on an exchange year in Norway (:

Whereabouts in Norway are you? Oslo I guess?
Back to top Go down
StopAndSlideToTheRight
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
StopAndSlideToTheRight

PostSubject: Re: My roadtrip round Norway   My roadtrip round Norway Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 5:20 pm

markbarlow wrote:
StopAndSlideToTheRight wrote:

Whereabouts in Norway are you? Oslo I guess?

Yeah, I'm basically 20 minutes away from the center of Oslo. It's an amazing city!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My roadtrip round Norway   My roadtrip round Norway Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My roadtrip round Norway
Page 1 of 1